Caffeine Increases Pregnenolone & Progesterone In The Brain

pboy

it doesn't necessarily enhance creativity...a hint perhaps, but it does give a certain unique sense of focus...like lazer focus but more just like, the best way I can say it is that it..quiets all voices in your head that aren't yours, so you have less doubt or indecisiveness, and just are more empowered in yourself. Its more of an enhancer, if your diet and health wasn't in the best state, or you're worn out, tired, something like that, it would help but it cant like...its not like Adderall or amphetamines or something like that. Its more a short term protective thing..that helps clarity of your own mind, and gives a little umph to what you do

Blinkyrocket

pboy said:
it doesn't necessarily enhance creativity...a hint perhaps, but it does give a certain unique sense of focus...like lazer focus but more just like, the best way I can say it is that it..quiets all voices in your head that aren't yours, so you have less doubt or indecisiveness, and just are more empowered in yourself. Its more of an enhancer, if your diet and health wasn't in the best state, or you're worn out, tired, something like that, it would help but it cant like...its not like Adderall or amphetamines or something like that. Its more a short term protective thing..that helps clarity of your own mind, and gives a little umph to what you do
Well, I guess that's more or less what I actually meant, since my problem isn't in the creativity department, it's in the ability to calm down and let the creative ideas flow out, I have no shortage of creative ideas that I don't know how to execute lol.

Naturally increasing pregnenelone and DHEA without supplements is a bonus too, I just need to figure out how to avoid the social problems that arise with smoking -_- for instance my parents won't like it too much obviously.

Peata

Now that I can tolerate caffeine better, I'm hoping it will increase my progesterone. I think three months will be enough time to see an effect. Back when I used to take BCP, they would always reach full positive effect for my skin by three months. I also gave vitamin C about that same time and didn't see improvement. One of my goals all along has been to increase progesterone without having to rely on Progest E (inconvenience, cost,etc). Anyway, I read somewhere that otc progesterone supplements might get banned, as I think caffeine powder is getting banned, so it would be nice to make more of our own progesterone.

Peata

So it's been 12 weeks since I increased my caffeine, and it's definitely done good things for me. I assume my progesterone has increased, but maybe caffeine has also helped clear out my liver and excess estrogen, increased metabolism, etc.

answersfound

haidut said:

Can caffeine increase progesterone enough to be constipating? I've been using higher doses of caffeine and am having the worst constipation of my life. I was taking vitamin e but I stopped that a couple days ago. I also took 70 mg pregnenolone a couple days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
answersfound said:
post 110395
haidut said:

Can caffeine increase progesterone enough to be constipating? I've been using higher doses of caffeine and am having the worst constipation of my life. I was taking vitamin e but I stopped that a couple days ago. I also took 70 mg pregnenolone a couple days ago.

Caffeine is dopaminergic and is also an antagonist of 5-HT1 receptor. Most anti-serotonin pro-dopamine substances can cause constipation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vinero

U probably need more magnesium if you are constipated.
400 mg a day gives me perfect bowel movements.

docall18

As a follow up on my other posts, caffeine is really shaping up to be another Peatarian panacea. At doses achievable in humans with supplementation, caffeine seems to increase the levels of all important steroids in the brain, and in fact this may be the mechanism behind its stimulant effects.

Caffeine-induced increases in the brain and plasma concentrations of neuroactive steroids in the rat. - PubMed - NCBI

"...A single intraperitoneal injection of caffeine induced dose- and time-dependent increases in the concentrations of pregnenolone, progesterone, and 3alpha-hydroxy-5alpha-pregnan-20-one (allopregnanolone) in the cerebral cortex."

The effective HUMAN dosage seems to be in the range of 3.6mg-14.3mg per kg of body weight.

"...The increases were significant at a caffeine dose of 25 mg/kg and greatest (+188, +388, and +71%, respectively) at a dose of 100 mg/kg in rats killed 30 min after caffeine administration."

Finally, the researchers think that raising the levels of these neurosteroids may be behind caffeine's cognitive effects.

"...These results suggest that neuroactive steroids may modulate the stimulant and anxiogenic effects of caffeine."

Boy, am I glad to have my caffeine pills:)

Do this study also not just confirm what all the anti-caffeine proponents claim. That caffeine whips up the adrenal production?

As detailed in the study plasma cortisol was also increased by caffeine.

The caffeine caused stress. Increasing production of adrenal hormones - cortisol, pregnenolone and progesterone. Hardly a positive result regarding caffeine ingestion.

Nighteyes

Well pregnenolone Can hardly be defined as a hormone of stress given that it Can convert Into all other hormones including Into DHEA and progesterone which should both protect from The effect of cortisol.
I have found coffee to be a net positive when paired with adequate fuel and nutrition

docall18

Well pregnenolone Can hardly be defined as a hormone of stress given that it Can convert Into all other hormones including Into DHEA and progesterone which should both protect from The effect of cortisol.
I have found coffee to be a net positive when paired with adequate fuel and nutrition

What I'm saying is stress - the 'Fight or Flight' response increases (CRH & ACTH) adrenal production. This releases adrenal hormones including cortisol, preg, prog, adrenaline etc. Notice no Dhea increase.

This is hardly what people should be aiming to achieve.

Caffeine stimulated the rats as a life or death, or even an exhilarating experience would do.

Nighteyes

Yes and I am questioning whether this is a bad Thing as you Seem to Think it is.
All I Can say is that I have had some of The most relaxing naps after my afternoon coffee. Hardly felt Like fighting nor fleeing.

docall18

Your naps are beside the point I'm making about this study.

Great if caffeine relaxes you. But try take a huge dose on an empty stomach without having taken caffeine in a long time and see how relaxed you feel with your adrenals stimulated.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Anything misused is of course not beneficial to homeostasis.. But whatever - if coffee stresses you, dont drink it. It Works for me and I am thankful for that. Sorry if my anecdotal comment was out of place somehow.

Nighteyes

Administering a huge dose of coffee on empty stomach in humans is hardly replicating a study where caffeine was given to rats.. It doesnt even say if they were fed first?

docall18

It was injected.

Sure caffeine can be beneficial. It cleans out the liver, lowering estrogen, toxins etc. The lower estrogen and improved liver may result in increased progesterone over the long term.

But if you want the increased preg and progesterone as in the study you also must take increased cortisol, adrenaline etc.

Amphetamine will have the exact same effects on pregnenolone and progesterone if you want to try that instead of caffeine,

Nighteyes

No thanks - I'll Stick to my coffee :D has plenty of other great things in it and Dr. Peat has Said coffee is more than just caffeine. My liver it not doing so Well i suspect so i am just happy my Daily indulgence might not be that bad.

Also i am sure amphetamine has other unwanted effects that I cant be bothered looking up since you probably just used that argument to impress.

Also my argument has never been that it does not raise cortisol (although i Seem to remember haidut presenting a study saying exactly that) but merely that The overall effect Can be net positive when used appropriately in The right context

snowboard111

LOL? Am I serious...

The point was more that anything that stimulate the organism and has nothing to support it will raise stress hormones... so why would you take a large dose of caffeine on a empty stomach?

paymanz

Moreover, the brain and plasma concentrations of pregnenolone, progesterone, and allopregnanolone were not affected by caffeine in adrenalectomized-orchiectomized rats.

why is that dependent on adrenal?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals