Nicotine [Through A Peat Prism?]

Fractality

Could any of the ingredients in Juul pods be problematic? Which are the most worrisome?

Here they are:

-Glycerol
-Propylene Glycol
-Benzoic Acid
-Nicotine
-Natural Oils Extracts
-Flavor

I too would like to know as I purchased one and find it an effective means to utilize nicotine's nootropic effects. Benzoic acid is an uncoupler so I mostly focus on the propylene glycol and glycerol. I've done some preliminary researching but haven't found anything substantive on those things.

cyclops

Anyone gets pins and needles from using the juul or any other nicotine vape?

japanesedude

I just smoked my very first cigarret and man,this is something.
my temps goes up,razor sharp focus more than 2hours(still going on),killed my anxiety and I can enjoy some random videos on youtube and laughs easily.
this maybe the best way to increase my dopamine.

my temps goes up,razor sharp focus more than 2hours(still going on),killed my anxiety and I can enjoy some random videos on youtube and laughs easily.
i have to say, i really want to try it, but unfortunately in california one must be 21 for purchase

Sativa

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, nicotine activates the alpha 7 nicotinic receptor, which results in temporary smart-drug style extreme lucidity and cognition boosting effects. There are other ways of activating this receptor that are more sustainable.

iPeat

This anecdotal but almost every male, heavy drinker (probably alcoholics) I know have full heads of hair despite being in terrible shape with terrible diets. The one thing they all have in common- heavy smokers.

While we know smoking has estrogenic effects due to the inhalation of combusted materials, do you guys think it's possible that the nicotine is what's protecting the domes of these boozers?

I just got some of the Pixotene toothpicks in the mail today. Going to experiment with them tomorrow.

iPeat

So I chewed on 2 toothpicks yesterday and started again today. I can't really say I feel anything like when I used to smoke a cigarette (I was a smoker for 15 years and quit 11 years ago), however I did notice a few things.

A definite increase in hunger, a little more pep in my step (my steps are usually pep-less or pep-neutral), and a mood lift.

Also, an unexpected side effect of having a toothpick in my mouth all day is that it forces me to breathe through my nose. That's been something I've been trying to work on (I have a deviated septum). Also, my saliva is flowing all day, and I'm sure that's gotta be good for the teeth.

Frankdee20

Nicotine's cognitive enhancement is dose dependant. Low doses enhance it, while higher ones dull the mind. Too much acetylcholine

YourUniverse

Nicotine's cognitive enhancement is dose dependant. Low doses enhance it, while higher ones dull the mind. Too much acetylcholine
I was using nicorette quickmist for a few months, and found it was helpful to performance. Since, I have upped the dosage (using vape), and have found the opposite - this is a long winded way of saying, I think you are correct.

The thought was to enhance 5-AR, but I have a tendency towards feeling overwhelmed now, which I blame on acetylecholine.

Does anyone have thoughts on "optimal" nicotine dosage? For overall enhancement, minimizing the negatives

Frankdee20

I was using nicorette quickmist for a few months, and found it was helpful to performance. Since, I have upped the dosage (using vape), and have found the opposite - this is a long winded way of saying, I think you are correct.

The thought was to enhance 5-AR, but I have a tendency towards feeling overwhelmed now, which I blame on acetylecholine.

Does anyone have thoughts on "optimal" nicotine dosage? For overall enhancement, minimizing the negatives

If I have not eaten in a while, and I smoke, I only get hungry cranky feelings. This is likely from an increase in Norepinephrine. Too much acetylcholine also feels shitty. There is a sweet spot for Nicotine. I do not have experience with vapes. Only the gum.

lampofred

This anecdotal but almost every male, heavy drinker (probably alcoholics) I know have full heads of hair despite being in terrible shape with terrible diets. The one thing they all have in common- heavy smokers.

While we know smoking has estrogenic effects due to the inhalation of combusted materials, do you guys think it's possible that the nicotine is what's protecting the domes of these boozers?

I just got some of the Pixotene toothpicks in the mail today. Going to experiment with them tomorrow.

Hope this doesn't make you start smoking, but nicotine is extremely pro-metabolic and anti-estrogenic, so it's great for cognition/hair. It's basically imitation thyroid/progesterone for people who don't actually know about thyroid/progesterone, and it shifts the hormones in the right direction like caffeine.

I do get very tempted from time to time to stop being so careful with diet/supplements and just start smoking instead, but since I'm on RPF and know about thyroid and progesterone, probably better to take the harder but healthier route...

Last edited:

Also, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. Dr. Peat wrote about serotonin causing vasoconstriction in the brain and therefore lowering brain metabolism. Maybe the same thing applies to high dosed nicotine?

Jib

Whole leaf tobacco is the way to go if you're gonna smoke. And I always use a Tar-Guard filter like Hunter Thompson did.

Yenidje and Burley tobacco blended in a 100mm tube is godlike. I had a coffee with cream and sugar and sat in the sun yesterday morning, taking drags on a cig I made with that stuff. That is always the highlight of my day, just heaven on earth, though I quit smoking for months. That was my first cig in a while. If you've never smoked good whole leaf Turkish tobacco, you are missing out on a lot, my friend.

The Turkish is very smooth, and when blended with harsh tobaccos (burley, virginia, etc.), it smooths them out beautifully. The aroma is amazing.

But if I don't use the Tar-Gard, my lungs get noticeably affected badly. My chronic cough comes back, I'll wake up coughing, etc., even if I only have one cigarette that day.

Shredding and blending your own whole leaf tobacco also ensures you're not getting ammonia-laced, free-based nicotine. I have never gotten anywhere near as addicted to tobacco as my friends who smoke commercial cigs. There's a lot of junk they add to that tobacco that you'll never find in natural, whole leaves. Plus, they're a LOT cheaper. Last time I stocked up I was buying leaves for 15 dollars a pound and 6% local sales tax.

I always feel clearer and more focused and better after smoking, but I need to use the Tar filter or it can actually make me feel worse. I'm sure whatever's beneficial in there, yeah, you're losing a lot in the tar, but it is not worth it to me as far as my lungs go. The filters really do a bang up job and you can use either the permanent, cleanable ones, or the disposable ones. I use the permanent.

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

A few years down the road now and as an update I will say that I wish I could delete this post and thread. It was a few years ago when I wrote this and honestly there was probably a lot of psychological bias and cherry-picking of studies because I wanted to try and justify nicotine usage for myself. Just because some select studies show some potential benefits doesn't mean that nicotine on the whole is good for you. I didn't look at much data when I wrote this and i'd consider it mostly junk science now.

It's disturbing that some people are using these nicotine posts to justify smoking tobacco which is proven highly carcinogenic and addictive.

There may be some concerns with lung inflammation, addiction, and vasoconstriction from nicotine and vaping.

I think that most of the benefits of nicotine such as temporary increases in metabolic rate, attention, memory, and dopamine boosts can be obtained much more safely by simply exercising.

Nicotine does have a proven effect on reducing risk of parkinsons but the doses needed to achieve this effect are so low that the small amounts of nicotine naturally found in nightshade vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes are enough to have this effect.

Use at your own risk I guess...

Last edited:

YourUniverse

A few years down the road now and as an update I will say that I wish I could delete this post and thread. It was a few years ago when I wrote this and honestly there was probably a lot of psychological bias and cherry-picking of studies because I wanted to try and justify nicotine usage for myself. Just because some select studies show some potential benefits doesn't mean that nicotine on the whole is good for you. I didn't look at much data when I wrote this and i'd consider it mostly junk science now.

It's disturbing that some people are using these nicotine posts to justify smoking tobacco which is proven highly carcinogenic and addictive.

There may be some concerns with lung inflammation, addiction, and vasoconstriction from nicotine and vaping.

I think that most of the benefits of nicotine such as temporary increases in metabolic rate, attention, memory, and dopamine boosts can be obtained much more safely by simply exercising.

Nicotine does have a proven effect on reducing risk of parkinsons but the doses needed to achieve this effect are so low that the small amounts of nicotine naturally found in nightshade vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes are enough to have this effect.

Use at your own risk I guess...
Cheers to you for writing this. Can be difficult to go back on ones position.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals