L-theanine Inhibits Nicotine-induced Dependence Via Regulation Of The Nicotine Acetylcholine Recepto

High_Prob

L-theanine inhibits nicotine-induced dependence via regulation of the nicotine acetylcholine receptor-dopamine reward pathway.
Di X1, Yan J, Zhao Y, Chang Y, Zhao B.
Author information

Abstract
In this study, the inhibitory effect of L-theanine, an amino acid derivative of tea, on the rewarding effects of nicotine and its underlying mechanisms of action were studied. We found that L-theanine inhibited the rewarding effects of nicotine in a conditioned place preference (CPP) model of the mouse and reduced the excitatory status induced by nicotine in SH-SY5Y cells to the same extent as the nicotine receptor inhibitor dihydro-beta-erythroidine (DHβE). Further studies using high performance liquid chromatography, western blotting and immunofluorescence staining analyses showed that L-theanine significantly inhibited nicotine-induced tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) expression and dopamine production in the midbrain of mice. L-theanine treatment also reduced the upregulation of the α(4), β(2) and α(7) nicotine acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) subunits induced by nicotine in mouse brain regions that related to the dopamine reward pathway, thus decreasing the number of cells that could react to nicotine. In addition, L-theanine treatment inhibited nicotine-induced c-Fos expression in the reward circuit related areas of the mouse brain. Knockdown of c-Fos by siRNA inhibited the excitatory status of cells but not the upregulation of TH induced by nicotine in SH-SY5Y cells. Overall, the present study showed that L-theanine reduced the nicotine-induced reward effects via inhibition of the nAChR-dopamine reward pathway. These results may offer new therapeutic strategies for treatment of tobacco addiction.

Drareg

Great find, I was sure from using this it also inhibited adrenalin responses, this seems to suggest it is behaving this way. Not sure if a study is available for this just yet.

What's interesting is theanine increases dopamine but his study says it inhibits tyrosine hydroxylase, it seems this is another study that tells more than the researches are interested in deducing.

Wasn't tyrosine hydroxyase implicated in Greying of hair? Having high amounts meant less grey hair?

Makrosky

I definitely noticed that using it reduced the need to smoke. I think it's a great aid for quitting.

mirc12354

From my personal experience it did not help much. I do not like theanine very much in general since it makes me feel very "hangoverish"...