1. Orange & Red Light Therapy Device - LGS1
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. **NEW** BL11 - Orange, Red & Infrared Therapy Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

SolBan - Liquid Aspirin/Caffeine/Niacinamide Mix

Discussion in 'IdeaLabs' started by haidut, Feb 6, 2015.

1. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

I may add it to SolBan. In my experience it does not dissolve very well.

2. PhilParma

PhilParma Member

I mix my own SolBan-esque solution. 400mg of added taurine per 1 oz. of "solban" seems to dissolve just fine.

3. raypeatclips

raypeatclips Member

Anyone used this on the scalp and noticed anything in regards to hair loss?

4. Kibs

Kibs Member

Guys some folk report not being able to lose weight regarding b3/asprin but is this regarding oral only or would the same issue happen with topical?

5. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Those reports were from oral use and much higher doses than what you'd get from SolBan.

6. Koveras

Koveras Member

@charlie Can we title-ify the original post's references?

7. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

Done. :hattip

8. Koveras

Koveras Member

Thanks!

9. Koveras

Koveras Member

Hey @haidut

Topically Applied Nicotinamide Inhibits Human Hair Follicle Growth ex vivo.

Thoughts on the above study?

I'd written something down awhile ago about the ability of niacinamide to increase the synthesis of ceramides and their role in processes such as apoptosis and senescence.

Ceramide/sphingomyelin cycle involvement in gentamicin-induced cochlear hair cell death.
    Ceramide mediates Ox-LDL-induced human vascular smooth muscle cell calcification via p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling.
    Inhibition of sphingomyelin synthase 1 affects ceramide accumulation and hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis in Neuro-2a cells.
    A Role for Ceramides, but Not Sphingomyelins, as Antagonists of Insulin Signaling and Mitochondrial Metabolism in C2C12 Myotubes.

Quizzed @Travis about it here but without garnering much interest

10. Travis

Travis Member

I'm surprised that you don't drag prostaglandin D₂ into this; this lipid hormone is most correlated with hair loss—occurring in high amounts where hair isn't. This has been found in a dose‐dependent fashion when correlated through mRNA for the enzyme which makes it (ptgds)—the epidemiological correlations are confirmed through direct application. The ability of niacin to displace prostaglandin D₂ is accepted, and usually invoked to explain the 'flush.' Although niacinamide doesn't cause a flush, it could perhaps be binding to one or more of the D₂‐prostaglandin G protein‐coupled receptors (Gpr44?); there are three such receptors to choose from, and niacinamide is quite similar to the molecule proven to displace prostaglandin D₂.

11. Koveras

Koveras Member

Would you expect displacing it to improve hair growth then?

12. Travis

Travis Member

The details are murky. The Garza experiment implied that the Gpr44–prostaglandin D₂ interaction was the cause—the furthest downstream event thus far elucidated. But the Gpr44 receptor is not where niacin is displacing prostaglandin D₂ from, meaning it could be making it more bioavailable for this receptor. Due to niacin's similarity with histamine, which can also cause a 'flush,' I would be willing to bet that niacin is working through . . . a perhaps uncharacterized histamine receptor. Prostaglandin D₂ and histamine are generally seen together, and appear almost inseperable in the airways of asthmatics. I get the feeling that these two molecules interact on a fundamental level (besides both being components of mast cells) and that niacin works through a histamine receptor.

But the common explanation for the niacin 'flush' is crap, because both serotonin and prostaglandin D₂ cause vessel contraction—not dilation. To understand vessel dilation and contraction on a fundamental level I think we have to understand the molecular basis for muscle contraction (the arterial wall has myosin light chain), which is something not very well known about in detail. The Ca²⁺ ion seems capable of inducing contraction, yet some muscle proteins are very high in tryptophan—perhaps implying photo‐activity. Older articles will describe initiation of contraction as Ca²⁺ released from nerves when depolarized, but there could be something else to it. Even if Ca²⁺ were the fundamental, obligatory cause someone still needs to explain how it does anything at all. I think if a person were to examine the muscle fiber proteins hard enough they'd reveal how they function. All amino acids have a characteristic idiosyncrasies which can explain protein function. Of course, there has to be a change of affinity like disulfide bridges being formed.. .

13. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Yeah, I saw this some time ago. The niacinamide only inhibited hair growth at massive concentrations (10 mM/L). I am not even sure why somebody would test such amounts. Lower, but still high, concentrations of 200 uM/L did not inhibit hair growth. With SolBan, I doubt the concentration in follicles will reach more than 50 uM/L, and in lower concentrations it has been shown to promote hair growth.