SolBan - Liquid Aspirin/Caffeine/Niacinamide Mix

mirc12354

Does the inclusion of succinic acid into this producct makes it less safe for using as a sunscreen on the face?? Isn't succinic acid dangerous if it gets in the eye?? or is concentracion in new solban too low to present a threat???

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does the inclusion of succinic acid into this producct makes it less safe for using as a sunscreen on the face?? Isn't succinic acid dangerous if it gets in the eye?? or is concentracion in new solban too low to present a threat???

I would not spray in the eye even without succinic acid. Aspirin and caffeine can both be irritating to the eye in with sufficient exposure. But I don't think succinic acid diminishes the sunscreen effect. There are even a few patents on adding it to sunscreens.
US5650158A - Skin-conditioning succinic acid derivatives - Google Patents
"...The succinic acid derivatives according to the invention may thus readily be incorporated, for example, in skin creams, lotions, skin oils, sunscreen preparations, body aerosols, hair lotions and bath oils."

Nicole W.

I would not spray in the eye even without succinic acid. Aspirin and caffeine can both be irritating to the eye in with sufficient exposure. But I don't think succinic acid diminishes the sunscreen effect. There are even a few patents on adding it to sunscreens.
US5650158A - Skin-conditioning succinic acid derivatives - Google Patents
"...The succinic acid derivatives according to the invention may thus readily be incorporated, for example, in skin creams, lotions, skin oils, sunscreen preparations, body aerosols, hair lotions and bath oils."
Hi Haidut, I really enjoy this product but I have noticed a difference since the inclusion of the succinic acid that I just want to make you aware of: I notice that when I spray the product on my skin, it diffuses into the air more than the old product did and if I happen to breathe in at that moment it can cause coughing. I’ve been holding my breath when I apply the product and for the most part that problem has resolved itself. I just never had that issue before with the old product so I’m wondering if the inclusion of this new ingredient might be causing this cloud like dispersion that can catch you off guard if you happen to be inhaling at that moment. Otherwise its awesome, thanks for developing it!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi Haidut, I really enjoy this product but I have noticed a difference since the inclusion of the succinic acid that I just want to make you aware of: I notice that when I spray the product on my skin, it diffuses into the air more than the old product did and if I happen to breathe in at that moment it can cause coughing. I’ve been holding my breath when I apply the product and for the most part that problem has resolved itself. I just never had that issue before with the old product so I’m wondering if the inclusion of this new ingredient might be causing this cloud like dispersion that can catch you off guard if you happen to be inhaling at that moment. Otherwise its awesome, thanks for developing it!

Yes, succinic acid can irritate the airways if inhaled. I experienced this first hand when preparing SolBan batches. So, holding your breath is probably a good idea while spraying even though the irritation does not seem to happen to everyone.
Thanks for bringing this up.

tastyfood

@haidut Since a lot of us use this product for sun protection, would be it bad to spray it in your face? I've been doing this for a while.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Since a lot of us use this product for sun protection, would be it bad to spray it in your face? I've been doing this for a while.

Not at all, it should be fine to spray on the face but just make sure you don't spray it in your eyes. Closing your eyes while spraying should be enough to prevent irritation.

ubiety

@haidut I thought I read where you were going to come out with a larger size of this. Is that true and if so when?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I thought I read where you were going to come out with a larger size of this. Is that true and if so when?

We can pour into a bigger bottle if somebody wants but so far there have been very few such requests. So, it does not justify creating a separate product line if these bigger bottles will be sitting around for months.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is rubbing alcohol as effective as ethanol for topical absorption ?

Should be. Especially if it is the more concentrated version sold in stores (90%+).

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I apologize if this has been asked before but could this function as a deodorant?

It does not have any smell itself, but the caffeine and aspirin may help kill some of the bacteria on skin that produces body odor.

Kibs

I added taurine to my solban, used 1g and it dissolved :)

Haidut do you think adding a bottle of solban to my shampoo would be ok and leaving it on for 20 minutes, I mean would I get any obsorbed into my scalp or would it just come out when washing. Thanks

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I added taurine to my solban, used 1g and it dissolved :)

Haidut do you think adding a bottle of solban to my shampoo would be ok and leaving it on for 20 minutes, I mean would I get any obsorbed into my scalp or would it just come out when washing. Thanks

It should absorb, but I don't know how much. I think using SolBan on its own would allow more to absorb but mixing with shampoo should not hurt.

Kibs

It should absorb, but I don't know how much. I think using SolBan on its own would allow more to absorb but mixing with shampoo should not hurt.
Thanks for the reply.
Just ordered the new version with succinic acid, I think that’s a spot on edition to the product so looking forward to this.

For folks that have pore issues, I have been using 2 sprays on my face for a few weeks and I’m shocked at the difference it’s making, I have dry skin but a very oily nose, lots of pores. My mrs is like the nose inspector, always poking at it and this last week she keeps saying your nose is so much clearer.

Also my red cheeks have calmed down.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the reply.
Just ordered the new version with succinic acid, I think that’s a spot on edition to the product so looking forward to this.

For folks that have pore issues, I have been using 2 sprays on my face for a few weeks and I’m shocked at the difference it’s making, I have dry skin but a very oily nose, lots of pores. My mrs is like the nose inspector, always poking at it and this last week she keeps saying your nose is so much clearer.

Also my red cheeks have calmed down.

Amazing, thanks for sharing!

Jared

I vote for a larger bottle as well. I really like this product and would use more if I could get it a bit cheaper via bulk sizing options. Either way I appreciate all that you've done for us Haidut.