tara

Have you had a go at logging a few days food in cronometer or similar?
How is you resting breathing?

OP
J

Jesilyn

Have you had a go at logging a few days food in cronometer or similar?
How is you resting breathing?[/QUOT
No I haven’t tried logging or calculating yet.
My resting breathing feels pretty good. For awhile I was having some tightness of breath but that went away. Has been feeling pretty even and easy and smooth. Feels good to breath a little slow/soft with pauses, which I imagine helps with C02.

tara

I think some benefits of tracking food for a few days (not forever), can be:
- to get a reality check about what nutrition we are getting, and whether it is likely in the ball-park of supplying basic needs - calories, protein, micronutrients.
- may help suggest gaps or imbalances that might benefit from improvement
- may help see whether there's an obvious correlation with symptoms in the short term

Glad the resting breathing seems good. Did you already say you have reason to think your mouth stays shut at night? If you want to follow this thread, you could check out the Buteyko Control Pause as another DIY assessment method.

Are you getting at least a little gentle movement most days?
Sunlight on the skin most days?
Some kind of relaxing pre-sleep routine?

I think it can be good to see whether these basics are being met, because they can all affect sleep.

OP
J

Jesilyn

I am in such emotional turmoil right now I cannot even eat. My living situation just shifted yesterday and I’m not sure I’m going to be able to feel supported here. Crisis on top of crisis.

I do think my mouth stays shut at night, but I think my airway constricts.

Lots of sunshine, as much movement as my body can handle, I can’t walk far, but I have a very developed somatic practice, so I do gentle therapeutic soothing stuff pretty much constantly.

M

metabolizm

I am in such emotional turmoil right now I cannot even eat. My living situation just shifted yesterday and I’m not sure I’m going to be able to feel supported here. Crisis on top of crisis.

Lots of sunshine, as much movement as my body can handle, I can’t walk far, but I have a very developed somatic practice, so I do gentle therapeutic soothing stuff pretty much constantly.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Forgive me if this has already been covered, but have you seen a doctor and been prescribed sleeping pills yet? It looks like your situation warrants the pharmaceutical sledgehammer approach.

OP
J

Jesilyn

I'm so sorry to hear that. Forgive me if this has already been covered, but have you seen a doctor and been prescribed sleeping pills yet? It looks like your situation warrants the pharmaceutical sledgehammer approach.
I’ve tried trazodone and hydroxizine with little effect. A friend has given me some seroquel I’m considering trying, or I could get some ambien. Not sure who of those would be better to try...

M

metabolizm

I’ve tried trazodone and hydroxizine with little effect. A friend has given me some seroquel I’m considering trying, or I could get some ambien. Not sure who of those would be better to try...

I can't make any recommendations there, because I've never taken sleeping pills for insomnia - but I've come close. Valium works extremely well for me, but I only take that when things get really bad. Sometimes a few nights' rest is enough to set things back in motion.

bk_

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Unresolved stress during the day can manifest itself in the middle of the night. Do you wake up with a racing heart and sweat? If so I’d suggest setting aside 15 minutes during the day to intentionally think about what worries or stresses you and maximizing the pain the get rid of the stress so it doesn’t bother you at night. Think of it as a kind of cleanse where the toxic stress has to come out and feels terrible at first but when released you’re free. Here’s a book that could help: https://www.amazon.com/Worry-Trap-Yourself-Acceptance-Commitment/dp/1572244801

SonOfEurope

God knows I'd be the last person to give this type of advice, but considering the severity of this mess... We might as well worry about the rest later.

Did your Doctor ever mention about low dose Valium or Lorazepam/clonazepam?

I was a psychological and nervous mess ten years ago at 19 y.o, obviously I did not know about peat and after failing on many antidepressants I finally was able to get my nerves back with low dose Clonazepam.... Then I discover peat I knew it was time to come off.. Progesterone helped me do it in a taper off that lasted 2+ years, but I cannot deny they helped me when I was desperate.... It is GaBa after all.

Do you live in the desert parts of the US? Europe? Canada? Any history of neurological disorder in your know family history?

Have you had brain scan and is everything normal they show?

Be honest tell the doctor you cannot take it anymore, sometimes you have to push thees guy desperately for help as I did.

Last edited:

tara

This is not medical advice - I'm not qualified. And I tend to favour food over drugs if possible.
My understanding is that cyproheptadine tends to both increase appetite and can be calming/sleep-promoting. It's been around for many years, and AIUI, is considered pretty safe (non-prescription in some places). It's one of the old-style antihistamines, with a side-effect of sleepiness that you might enjoy, if you took a little in the evening. IIUC, it's also been used to help promote appetite in anorexia. If you are really struggling in an extreme way with both sleep and appetite, this is one I'd consider checking out to see if it can give you a bit of relief to get more on track again, if you can get hold of some. There are posts about it. Forum member Haidut/Idealabs is one possible source.

sribop101

Are there any friends, relatives, or family you can stay with who would be more supportive? I ask because when my health crisis broke out, I had to move out of my apartment in the city and into my grandparent's living room. Obviously not everyone has that luxury, but I would consider a new living situation if this one is becoming toxic. Love and support go a long way.

bk_

Are there any friends, relatives, or family you can stay with who would be more supportive? I ask because when my health crisis broke out, I had to move out of my apartment in the city and into my grandparent's living room. Obviously not everyone has that luxury, but I would consider a new living situation if this one is becoming toxic. Love and support go a long way.
+1 for this. A better loving environment can work wonders.

tara

I missed this before. A safe home is important - otherwise that can be a health hazard in itself. I hope you can find a way to have good place to be.

OP
J

Jesilyn

Well I tried seroquel the past two nights, and it helped some, but still shallow sleep, frequent wake ups. I am probably going to try ambien tonight, because that is what the doctor gave me. In the meantime I may order some cyproheptadine, maybe it will be helpful when my situation is a little less severe. Right now I’m wondering if even the ambien will actually knock me out based on my track record with the pharmaceuticals I’ve tried.

My mom slept next to me last night and reports that as soon as I fall asleep my breath becomes very labored. I can’t get a consult for a sleep study for another month, and then I don’t know how long it will take to get the actual study after that consult, much less whatever intervention is needed to address the situation. I am wondering if just going ahead and getting a cpap machine is a good idea? Can I assume that’s an appropriate application given that I know my breath is stopping and waking me up? Or do I need to know more via a study?

I am in a relatively supportive situation, I have just become so incredibly sensitive to the subtle emotional current of things being in such an acutely vulnerable state for so long, it doesn’t take a lot to trigger me. It is safe and benevolent, but not actively loving. I feel like a little baby that needs to be held constantly, and I don’t have anyone that can do that. I would live with my mom, which would provide more active love and care than I am getting in this environment with friends, but she lives right next to a cell tower, and I just can’t do it. Other family have similarly toxic environments too, this is the best option currently. I hope for better and better and more and more loved as time goes on.

OP
J

Jesilyn

God knows I'd be the last person to give this type of advice, but considering the severity of this mess... We might as well worry about the rest later.

I was a psychological and nervous mess ten years ago at 19 y.o, obviously I did not know about peat and after failing on many antidepressants I finally was able to get my nerves back with low dose Clonazepam.... Then I discover peat I knew it was time to come off.. Progesterone helped me do it in a taper off that lasted 2+ years, but I cannot deny they helped me when I was desperate.... It is GaBa after all.

Do you live in the desert parts of the US? Europe? Canada? Any history of neurological disorder in your know family history?

Be honest tell the doctor you cannot take it anymore, sometimes you have to push thees guy desperately for help as I did.

Would Valium or Lorazepam/clonazepam be stronger than ambien? I live in the southwestern US. Depression and suicide in the family. But really quite “normal” by societal standards. Honestly, I really think what I’m going through is mostly born out of run-of-the-mill emotional neglect/developmental trauma. Meaning I think I was severely emotionally neglected, but in a way that would appear normal by societal standards and to a degree that is probably quite common. Being in a vulnerable state of compromised health caused the sense of lack of genuine support and love to just amplify and snowball into a stress spiral downward. I didn’t know how unsupported and isolated I felt until I was in a situation where ultra-independence was no longer a viable survival or coping strategy. Come to find out I live in a culture that doesn’t really know how to take care of each other or attune to each other emotionally. Everyone is alone together here.

tara

My mom slept next to me last night and reports that as soon as I fall asleep my breath becomes very labored. I can’t get a consult for a sleep study for another month, and then I don’t know how long it will take to get the actual study after that consult, much less whatever intervention is needed to address the situation. I am wondering if just going ahead and getting a cpap machine is a good idea? Can I assume that’s an appropriate application given that I know my breath is stopping and waking me up? Or do I need to know more via a study?
Did she say whether your mouth stayed closed or opened during sleep?
If it opened, you have an easy option to try that might make a big improvement.

Did your mother notice whether your chest was working hard with breathing in your sleep? This is also something you may be able to do something about. (I had some luck with this.)

There are other things to consider that might make a difference too - temperature to warm? enough fresh air?
Have you tried sleeping sitting up in a chair?
Inclined bed - head end raised a little?

If it were me, I'd investigate these before CPAP.

There's some reading here, if you are interested:
Smart Hygiene for Good Sleep: Maximize Body O2
And more on this site:
https://www.normalbreathing.com/

OP
J

Jesilyn

Did your mother notice whether your chest was working hard with breathing in your sleep? This is also something you may be able to do something about. (I had some luck with this.)

There are other things to consider that might make a difference too - temperature to warm? enough fresh air?

And more on this site:
Breathing Slower and Less: The Greatest Health Discovery Ever - Normal Breathing: The Key to Vital Health
She couldn’t see my chest, but she said I was intermittently breathing through my mouth. I know about mouth taping. What did you do about the labored chest?

OP
J

Jesilyn

And more on this site:
Breathing Slower and Less: The Greatest Health Discovery Ever - Normal Breathing: The Key to Vital Health
I couldn’t tell what CP stands for in that article?

SonOfEurope

I couldn’t tell what CP stands for in that article?

Hey Jesilyn!

"The control pause is a measure of the level of carbon dioxide in the alveoli based on a comfortable breath hold. The control pause and pulse are used together to monitor asthma. Over time, paying attention to the breathing pattern, your carbon dioxide threshold will adjust to a higher and healthier level."

SonOfEurope

Would Valium or Lorazepam/clonazepam be stronger than ambien?

More purely directed towards the GABA side and anxiolytic but they create dependance (one of my biggest struggles was coming off Klonopin for 2 years in a super slow taper with the aid of Progesterone and Pregnenolone)

I live in the southwestern US.

Solo por curiosidad, ¿no hablaras Español? xD.

Plenty of Sun in that part of the Continent.... Good altitude too.

Depression and suicide in the family. But really quite “normal” by societal standards. Honestly, I really think what I’m going through is mostly born out of run-of-the-mill emotional neglect/developmental trauma. Meaning I think I was severely emotionally neglected, but in a way that would appear normal by societal standards and to a degree that is probably quite common. Being in a vulnerable state of compromised health caused the sense of lack of genuine support and love to just amplify and snowball into a stress spiral downward. I didn’t know how unsupported and isolated I felt until I was in a situation where ultra-independence was no longer a viable survival or coping strategy. Come to find out I live in a culture that doesn’t really know how to take care of each other or attune to each other emotionally. Everyone is alone together here.

As far as I know, no one in my family commuted suicide but there's a bit of depression and slight bipolarity on one side, I can absolutely relate to the rest. And it has become worse 20th-21st century as selfish individualism pushed the larger family setting and supportive environment out, add to this the media, globalism and a lot of good things have gone to ***t.

Even I remember a warmer and more familiar environment 20 years ago, might be the idealization of Childhood memories but I do see my surroundings becoming more autistic both in and out and I feel lonely too.

But hey... We have the internet.... But wait they are gonna F that up with 4G to 5G as well....

I used to spend a lot of time out, covid 19' knockdowns took their toll.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals