43 year old PTSD, RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC, BLOATED, AGITATED, ENERGY CRASHES ETC Could really use some advice please.

Hi guys/gals, this is my first post and I’d like to start by thanking anyone who takes the time to read this. I think I should begin with a brief history of the things that I think have caused my issues and that might help you navigate any advice you could have.

During my Mams pregnancy her placenta stopped growing so an emergency C-Section was performed because I was obviously suffocating. I was severely underweight and was put on life support for a few weeks.

Ate a standard western diet rich in pufa pretty much from birth.

When I was 21 I suffered PTSD which resulted in 15 years of on/off alcoholism trying idiotically to self medicate the insomnia which stemmed from it.

Keto Diet/ Fasting. Did that for a good few years. I would do five day fasts a couple of times a year. Also doing extreme cardio while fasted. Like a lot of recovering addicts I got addicted to punishing myself in the gym.

The problems I have now are a major problems with digestion. Possibly Sibo. Even when I was doing all the fasting I still had a bloated stomach. I’ve tried expensive probiotic protocols that haven’t done anything. I also cough sometimes after eating, especially after breakfast. It feels like there’s food stuck in my throat. Maybe some kind of esophagus damage? Stomach acid? When my stomach goes full bloat it’s solid as a rock. My ability to handle stress is abysmal and I get extremely agitated and can lose my rag really quickly. I used to be so laid back and chilled. I’m desperate to regain that. Cortisol is probably an issue as I have the classic belly and little hump on the back of my neck look (sexy) did a cortisol test in the doctors and it came back negative, but let’s be honest who can trust that ***t these days. I also have a lot of nasal congestion. It feels high up in the nasal cavity. Mentally I have a tough time concentrating and have zero patience. I have a wonderful wife and daughter and a lot of the time I just don’t feel I’m in the present moment with them. It’s like I’m there but I’m not. Now and then there’s moments of feeling extremely happy but most of the time that feels blocked. I was also a terrible mouth breather. I didn’t even know until my wife told me. I’ve sorted that now tho and use mouth tape at night. I’m still having really bad energy crashes, I get insanely tired. I’m thinking liver damage.

The good news is that since I found the ideas of Ray and this community, so far I’ve mostly eradicated my insomnia just by eating pro-metabolically, which I’ve been doing for about a year. I very rarely have trouble dropping off so that’s effin awesome. I’ve also stopped exercise and have put on a bit of weight.

My usual diet is

Breakfast: 3 eggs with Parmesan, glass of apple juice and coffee with a little milk and sugar.

Snack: carrot salad
Snack: 4 dates stuffed with parmesan

Lunch: Minced beef with potatoes, coffee.

Snack: applesauce with parmesan

Dinner: Steak with well cooked potatoes.
Pre-bed:Chamomile tea with sugar.

Supplements. T3, D3, Aspirin, K2 and Progest-e, eggshell calcium, magnesium bicarbonate.

Any thoughts/advice on anything that can speed up my healing process will be greatly appreciated. I’ve been reading a lot of your posts and discussions over the last year, picking up tips along the way. So thank you for that.

Happy trails,

Andrew.

Regina

Hi guys/gals, this is my first post and I’d like to start by thanking anyone who takes the time to read this. I think I should begin with a brief history of the things that I think have caused my issues and that might help you navigate any advice you could have.

During my Mams pregnancy her placenta stopped growing so an emergency C-Section was performed because I was obviously suffocating. I was severely underweight and was put on life support for a few weeks.

Ate a standard western diet rich in pufa pretty much from birth.

When I was 21 I suffered PTSD which resulted in 15 years of on/off alcoholism trying idiotically to self medicate the insomnia which stemmed from it.

Keto Diet/ Fasting. Did that for a good few years. I would do five day fasts a couple of times a year. Also doing extreme cardio while fasted. Like a lot of recovering addicts I got addicted to punishing myself in the gym.

The problems I have now are a major problems with digestion. Possibly Sibo. Even when I was doing all the fasting I still had a bloated stomach. I’ve tried expensive probiotic protocols that haven’t done anything. I also cough sometimes after eating, especially after breakfast. It feels like there’s food stuck in my throat. Maybe some kind of esophagus damage? Stomach acid? When my stomach goes full bloat it’s solid as a rock. My ability to handle stress is abysmal and I get extremely agitated and can lose my rag really quickly. I used to be so laid back and chilled. I’m desperate to regain that. Cortisol is probably an issue as I have the classic belly and little hump on the back of my neck look (sexy) did a cortisol test in the doctors and it came back negative, but let’s be honest who can trust that ***t these days. I also have a lot of nasal congestion. It feels high up in the nasal cavity. Mentally I have a tough time concentrating and have zero patience. I have a wonderful wife and daughter and a lot of the time I just don’t feel I’m in the present moment with them. It’s like I’m there but I’m not. Now and then there’s moments of feeling extremely happy but most of the time that feels blocked. I was also a terrible mouth breather. I didn’t even know until my wife told me. I’ve sorted that now tho and use mouth tape at night. I’m still having really bad energy crashes, I get insanely tired. I’m thinking liver damage.

The good news is that since I found the ideas of Ray and this community, so far I’ve mostly eradicated my insomnia just by eating pro-metabolically, which I’ve been doing for about a year. I very rarely have trouble dropping off so that’s effin awesome. I’ve also stopped exercise and have put on a bit of weight.

My usual diet is

Breakfast: 3 eggs with Parmesan, glass of apple juice and coffee with a little milk and sugar.

Snack: carrot salad
Snack: 4 dates stuffed with parmesan

Lunch: Minced beef with potatoes, coffee.

Snack: applesauce with parmesan

Dinner: Steak with well cooked potatoes.
Pre-bed:Chamomile tea with sugar.

Supplements. T3, D3, Aspirin, K2 and Progest-e, eggshell calcium, magnesium bicarbonate.

Any thoughts/advice on anything that can speed up my healing process will be greatly appreciated. I’ve been reading a lot of your posts and discussions over the last year, picking up tips along the way. So thank you for that.

Happy trails,

Andrew.
It sounds good.
Can you drink more milk? Pulp-free OJ? How about some homemade soups with homemade gelatinous broth? Pho, oxtail soup, beef stroganoff, panna cotta.
Maybe add taurine and thiamine.
Nice long walks with your wife and daughter.

O

oldfriend

This may seem counterintuitive here, but coffee isn't always a good thing. I have PTSD as well, and in the long run my symptoms are better when I go w/o. I probably have genetic caffeine sensitivity, or poor blood sugar regulation which I think is a common feature of chronic stress. Either way, I think it leads to elevated cortisol levels for me and that cortisol is an important player in PTSD. For example, studies have shown a correlation with it and cortisol:testosterone ratio.

Also, I think some people take Peat's quotes about exercise out of context, and think they mean you should live a mostly sedentary lifestyle. Being active is important part of getting and being healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi :) there are a few things that have been game-changers for my ptsd and cortisol issues and the main one is magnesium. unlike so many here - I do mag oxide ( all the rest of them just speed me up ) and I do mag chloride spray, which really is like the BOMB for stress and ptsd and cortisol spiked. like it is so good that i feel like i want to get a water gun and holster and put my spray magnesium in it and start squirting all the stressed-out people i see in the world with it. i spray it on the soles of my feet a couple times a day. as for your supplements ... how is your Vit D ? as as far as coffee is concerned , for me ... if i am stressed and burnt like it seem you are , i need it cafe con lech style- LOTS of cream and LOTS of sugar. i feel you need more sugar in general - it just makes you straight up happy. also if you can figure out how to make some milkshakes using milk and iced cream in your blender with some fruit , that is another thing that .. with a little salt on top is a happy food. you might also want to add more salt to your whole diet and baked potatos ( at least one or 2 a day with butter / salt/ pepper ) for potassium . do you have any labs ? how is your hair ? nails ? tongue ? eyebrows ?

OP
D
It sounds good.
Can you drink more milk? Pulp-free OJ? How about some homemade soups with homemade gelatinous broth? Pho, oxtail soup, beef stroganoff, panna cotta.
Maybe add taurine and thiamine.
Nice long walks with your wife and daughter.
Hey Regina, I’ve experimented with milk & OJ, but I feel more agitated & moody with milk and the OJ irritates my stomach, I’m guessing the acidity? I feel the digestive issue I have is a major issue. I’ve got access to oxtail so making meals with that is worth experimenting with. Also I’ve never tried taurine and thiamine so I’m willing to try them. Is there any dosage recommendations I should try? Thanks for the input.

OP
D
This may seem counterintuitive here, but coffee isn't always a good thing. I have PTSD as well, and in the long run my symptoms are better when I go w/o. I probably have genetic caffeine sensitivity, or poor blood sugar regulation which I think is a common feature of chronic stress. Either way, I think it leads to elevated cortisol levels for me and that cortisol is an important player in PTSD. For example, studies have shown a correlation with it and cortisol:testosterone ratio.

Also, I think some people take Peat's quotes about exercise out of context, and think they mean you should live a mostly sedentary lifestyle. Being active is important part of getting and being healthy.
Hey Oldfriend. That’s very interesting but damn I love coffee. I never drink it on an empty stomach although I did when I was Keto. Looks like I’ll have to find a good decaf and experiment without it. I like your advice about exercise too, it’s been on my mind for a while. I always feel really good after a workout. I think I should restart but not so intense and make sure I feed my body pre and post workout. Thank you.

OP
D
Hi
hi :) there are a few things that have been game-changers for my ptsd and cortisol issues and the main one is magnesium. unlike so many here - I do mag oxide ( all the rest of them just speed me up ) and I do mag chloride spray, which really is like the BOMB for stress and ptsd and cortisol spiked. like it is so good that i feel like i want to get a water gun and holster and put my spray magnesium in it and start squirting all the stressed-out people i see in the world with it. i spray it on the soles of my feet a couple times a day. as for your supplements ... how is your Vit D ? as as far as coffee is concerned , for me ... if i am stressed and burnt like it seem you are , i need it cafe con lech style- LOTS of cream and LOTS of sugar. i feel you need more sugar in general - it just makes you straight up happy. also if you can figure out how to make some milkshakes using milk and iced cream in your blender with some fruit , that is another thing that .. with a little salt on top is a happy food. you might also want to add more salt to your whole diet and baked potatos ( at least one or 2 a day with butter / salt/ pepper ) for potassium . do you have any labs ? how is your hair ? nails ? tongue ? eyebrows ?
Hi D. I’m doing Magnesium Bicarbonate, about 2 glasses per day. I have to admit I haven’t noticed any massive difference from it apart from alleviating the odd cramp attack I would get. I haven’t got any labs done so I’m winging it with the D3. I’m doing 6000 IU’s per day. I find milk and cream heavy on my digestion which makes me more moody and agitated. I absolutely love both so would love to fix my gut issues to enjoy them again. My hair is definitely starting to thin and my hairline is starting to recede. That’s probably the chronic stress. I love me some baked potatoes with butter and salt so that’s a winner. Thank you.

GTW

Magnesium glycinate seems to be a good form for many, especially glycine magnesium combined anti-excitotoxin effect.
Theanine is also a potential anti-inflammation supplement. Inflammation is the agent, not the root, of all evil.

OP
D
Magnesium glycinate seems to be a good form for many, especially glycine magnesium combined anti-excitotoxin effect.
Theanine is also a potential anti-inflammation supplement. Inflammation is the agent, not the root, of all evil.
Thanks GTW. I’ll go through the links for sure.

OP
D
Thanks GTW. I’ll go through the links for sure.

DrJ

@Andrew C your diet looks really good. As someone who spent too much time with the bottle when confronted with stress and having had similar symptoms by my mid thirties, I would suggest adding glycine and taurine to rehabilitate the liver. I probably wouldn't take t3 bc it could cause your crashes if you aren't getting lots of calories.

P

Peatness

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your alcohol recovery. B complex, especially thiamine and niacinamide, Gelatin/glycine will help repair some of the gut damage. Look into biotin as well.

OP
D
@Andrew C your diet looks really good. As someone who spent too much time with the bottle when confronted with stress and having had similar symptoms by my mid thirties, I would suggest adding glycine and taurine to rehabilitate the liver. I probably wouldn't take t3 bc it could cause your crashes if you aren't getting lots of calories.
I’ve got glycine here and I’ve already ordered taurine & thiamine. Any dosages I should use for both? That’s very interesting about the T3 and makes sense a bit cos the energy crashes got worse when I eliminated milk from my diet. I was drinking about a litre & half per day which obviously boosted my calories. I’m sure I’m hypothyroid from my temps etc and have been experimenting with cynomel / cynoplus. Felt off with the cynoplus so stuck with the t3 and my temps definitely got better. You think I should stop the t3 until I’ve solved these other issues? Thanks for the tips DrJ.

OP
D
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your alcohol recovery. B complex, especially thiamine and niacinamide, Gelatin/glycine will help repair some of the gut damage. Look into biotin as well.
Amazing. Thanks Pina.

DrJ

I’ve got glycine here and I’ve already ordered taurine & thiamine. Any dosages I should use for both? That’s very interesting about the T3 and makes sense a bit cos the energy crashes got worse when I eliminated milk from my diet. I was drinking about a litre & half per day which obviously boosted my calories. I’m sure I’m hypothyroid from my temps etc and have been experimenting with cynomel / cynoplus. Felt off with the cynoplus so stuck with the t3 and my temps definitely got better. You think I should stop the t3 until I’ve solved these other issues? Thanks for the tips DrJ.
I would stop t3 and see if things improve. I do 2x 5g glycine per day. Taurine I take 4g/day BUT I worked up to that slowly because it will increase bile output which might have you running to the toilet until you adjust.

OP
D
I would stop t3 and see if things improve. I do 2x 5g glycine per day. Taurine I take 4g/day BUT I worked up to that slowly because it will increase bile output which might have you running to the toilet until you adjust.
Alrighty then, I’m definitely gonna try that. One thing I’ve forgot to mention is I’m burping like crazy. From what I’ve found that could be related to a stomach acid issue, which would make sense with the amount of times I’ve thrown up in my life.

I was also severely underweight due to my mothers's perinatal environmental stress, at one year old almost died due an infection. Tons of pufa since young age up until my early 20's. Always had some kind of health problems, poor digestion, depression, anxiety, learning difficulties, insomnia. My father is an alcoholic, I did binge drinking on weekends for years. It all culminated in severe digestive condition which resulted in severe weight loss and a host of other symptoms. What helped the most: activated charcoal, rifaximin (one course), carrot salad, white mushrooms and carrot salad daily, high dose B1 (thiamine hcl) at 300-500mg dose - drastically improved digestion, increased frequency, reduced bloating, better energy, etc. Vitamin b6 (p5p), magnesium also helped along with high dose B1 and and a B complex (I used Haidut's Energin). Alcohol is notorious for depleting B1. Removing problematic foods was crucial as well. If you react to foods - try an elimination diet: honey, salt and meat and go from there. I couldn't tolerate lots of foods - after my gut healed I can tolerate most foods. Also it takes time to heal - it's a maraton.

OP
D
I was also severely underweight due to my mothers's perinatal environmental stress, at one year old almost died due an infection. Tons of pufa since young age up until my early 20's. Always had some kind of health problems, poor digestion, depression, anxiety, learning difficulties, insomnia. My father is an alcoholic, I did binge drinking on weekends for years. It all culminated in severe digestive condition which resulted in severe weight loss and a host of other symptoms. What helped the most: activated charcoal, rifaximin (one course), carrot salad, white mushrooms and carrot salad daily, high dose B1 (thiamine hcl) at 300-500mg dose - drastically improved digestion, increased frequency, reduced bloating, better energy, etc. Vitamin b6 (p5p), magnesium also helped along with high dose B1 and and a B complex (I used Haidut's Energin). Alcohol is notorious for depleting B1. Removing problematic foods was crucial as well. If you react to foods - try an elimination diet: honey, salt and meat and go from there. I couldn't tolerate lots of foods - after my gut healed I can tolerate most foods. Also it takes time to heal - it's a maraton.
Thank you for the input and thanks for sharing your story. I didn’t know that alcohol depleted B1 so that’s definitely a big part of the puzzle I’d say. I think the main problematic foods for me are gluten, milk in large amounts, citric fruits and anything processed and laced with pufa obviously. Most of the easily digestible foods that Ray recommends I’m ok with. I think attacking my system with the B Vits, taurine and glycine is gonna be my plan, while obviously staying away from the foods that I know cause problems. I do have some penicillin vk that I’ve been too nervous to try just yet. I know it can clean out your gut but I wanna look into more first. I’ll definitely be doing the carrot salad & white button mushrooms. Thanks again.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals