I want to drop t3 after using it for 3 months. Need advice. I think t3 is doing more harm than good.

dervmai

progress
I noticed an increase in my bio markers during the first week or so of taking t3. Since then it’s dropped off significantly. My bowel movements were great then slowly it’s getting worse. I am also gaining fat and losing muscle. I still feel quite anxious and even though t3 causes a rise in energy, I don’t notice a difference.

Initially my issues were - super high rt3 and a TSH of 3.11. Also my free t3 was low and my free t4 was high…. I think it’s a conversion issue, so a liver issue. I tried t3 only but i don’t know how much it’s helping and I’m starting to think it’s doing more harm than good.

I just want to get off supplements and eat healthy and exercise and get a lot of sunlight. I am 19. I can still bounce back and recover my thyroid right? I’m starting to think I shouldn’t have even been on it in the first place. :(

My temps and pulse and still low. Still having insomnia, anxiety, dry skin so many symptoms. I don’t know what’s wrong with me and I feel really suicidal as of late. I’ve just been super numb, I don’t really feel happy and I do feel sad often though. But even the sadness lacks real feelings.

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
“Stress hormones are responsible for raising reverse T3, and just supplementing T3 is seldom enough to normalize the stress hormones, so continued use of large doses can maintain improved functioning, but at the risk of developing problems from the continued excess of those hormones.”

This was a quote by Ray posted by @ilovethesea
I think my main issue was rt3. I don’t know why the reverse t3 was super high but it was probably from my anxiety and stress, plus I had a b1 deficiency. I have been taking t3 25mcg for 4 months, almost 16 weeks. And I’m starting to feel worse. The benefits initially were good, then after like 1-2 months it started getting worse. My rt3 has gone down significantly. 28 to 13. But my other metrics like free t4 and total t4 have tanked.

Don’t know what’s going on. I feel alone navigating this thyroid supplementation. Im really stressed and torn on if I should continue thyroid supplementation. I need to address the liver to fix my conversion issues. I feel like t4 added to the t3 will cause more issues by raising my rt3.

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
“Stress hormones are responsible for raising reverse T3, and just supplementing T3 is seldom enough to normalize the stress hormones, so continued use of large doses can maintain improved functioning, but at the risk of developing problems from the continued excess of those hormones.”

This was a quote by Ray posted by @ilovethesea
I think my main issue was rt3. I don’t know why the reverse t3 was super high but it was probably from my anxiety and stress, plus I had a b1 deficiency. I have been taking t3 25mcg for 4 months, almost 16 weeks. And I’m starting to feel worse. The benefits initially were good, then after like 1-2 months it started getting worse. My rt3 has gone down significantly. 28 to 13. But my other metrics like free t4 and total t4 have tanked.

Don’t know what’s going on. I feel alone navigating this thyroid supplementation. Im really stressed and torn on if I should continue thyroid supplementation. I need to address the liver to fix my conversion issues. I feel like t4 added to the t3 will cause more issues by raising my rt3

Tiaki Toroa

Forum Supporter
I noticed an increase in my bio markers during the first week or so of taking t3. Since then it’s dropped off significantly. My bowel movements were great then slowly it’s getting worse. I am also gaining fat and losing muscle. I still feel quite anxious and even though t3 causes a rise in energy, I don’t notice a difference.

Initially my issues were - super high rt3 and a TSH of 3.11. Also my free t3 was low and my free t4 was high…. I think it’s a conversion issue, so a liver issue. I tried t3 only but i don’t know how much it’s helping and I’m starting to think it’s doing more harm than good.

I just want to get off supplements and eat healthy and exercise and get a lot of sunlight. I am 19. I can still bounce back and recover my thyroid right? I’m starting to think I shouldn’t have even been on it in the first place. :(

My temps and pulse and still low. Still having insomnia, anxiety, dry skin so many symptoms. I don’t know what’s wrong with me and I feel really suicidal as of late. I’ve just been super numb, I don’t really feel happy and I do feel sad often though. But even the sadness lacks real feelingsDerv

My temps and pulse and still low. Still having insomnia, anxiety, dry skin so many symptoms. I don’t know what’s wrong with me and I feel really suicidal as of late. I’ve just been super numb, I don’t really feel happy and I do feel sad often though. But even the sadness lacks real feelings.
Derv, I don't know how to advise you about supplements, but I want you to know I am praying for you to find the help you need for the suicidal feelings. It breaks my heart to know you are 19, with a whole wonderful life in front of you, but are suffering in despair and darkness right now.

Please remember that sad, empty feelings can change and are driven by many physical and external problems. I believe you can be happy and healthy again, I really do. At 19, your body has great capacity to rebound and heal. Do you have friends or family you can turn to?

I hope someone here can advise you. There are suicide help lines and doctors who specialize in young people's emotional and mental health. If you had a good pediatrician as a child, 19 is not too old to call them. Just please don't do anything irrevocable. Things really can get better!

Someone once told me the analogy of an old-time miner caught in a cave-in, unable to go back, digging his way forward. Surrounded with darkness, despairing of seeing the light again ...and yet glorious sunlight and blue skies are literally just one more inch away. One more blow of the pickaxe and then a breakthrough. Praying for you to find help. The sunshine and blue skies are within reach. You can be well again!

wzuo

I had similar problems and symptoms (I haven't measured RT3 but also had high TSH), 2x1mg cypro daily has solved this issue. Before cypro I could took only 60mg of NDT or 12mcg of T3 and it was limit because any upper dosage gave me anxiety no matter what I've tried. With cypro I can take 135mg of NDT plus 12mcg of T3 daily without problem.
Looks like it was/is some issue with gut producing too much serotonin but I still can't find solution that will allow me to fix serotonin overproduction and gave up on cypro.

Do you eat enough food? carrot salad?

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
Derv, I don't know how to advise you about supplements, but I want you to know I am praying for you to find the help you need for the suicidal feelings. It breaks my heart to know you are 19, with a whole wonderful life in front of you, but are suffering in despair and darkness right now.

Please remember that sad, empty feelings can change and are driven by many physical and external problems. I believe you can be happy and healthy again, I really do. At 19, your body has great capacity to rebound and heal. Do you have friends or family you can turn to?

I hope someone here can advise you. There are suicide help lines and doctors who specialize in young people's emotional and mental health. If you had a good pediatrician as a child, 19 is not too old to call them. Just please don't do anything irrevocable. Things really can get better!

Someone once told me the analogy of an old-time miner caught in a cave-in, unable to go back, digging his way forward. Surrounded with darkness, despairing of seeing the light again ...and yet glorious sunlight and blue skies are literally just one more inch away. One more blow of the pickaxe and then a breakthrough. Praying for you to find help. The sunshine and blue skies are within reach. You can be well again!
Thank you for the encouragement, your comment really touched me. It might not seem like a big deal but I was going through a rollercoaster of emotions when writing that post. You made me feel hopeful :) and I really needed that so thank you. I'll keep trying to figure this all out.

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
I had similar problems and symptoms (I haven't measured RT3 but also had high TSH), 2x1mg cypro daily has solved this issue. Before cypro I could took only 60mg of NDT or 12mcg of T3 and it was limit because any upper dosage gave me anxiety no matter what I've tried. With cypro I can take 135mg of NDT plus 12mcg of T3 daily without problem.
Looks like it was/is some issue with gut producing too much serotonin but I still can't find solution that will allow me to fix serotonin overproduction and gave up on cypro.

Do you eat enough food? carrot salad?
I think maybe cypro isn't doing much. I think it might have even caused a worsening of my dry skin. My skin has gone from its normal complexion with a few rashes to my whole body being dry. Like my skin literally changed color, it looks much more dehydrated and inflamed and "old".

I don't do carrot salad enough. I will start to incorporate it tomorrow. I saw my family this weekend and I hadn't seen them in a while so I decided to let loose and enjoy some non peat approved foods. Will regret it tomorrow but it was worth it. I don't eat enough food too I think. I try to eat 3 meals a day but I'm broke as I just graduated. I had to buy my own car but the crazy thing is I crashed the car 3 days after buying it. This whole ordeal and having to buy another car ate up into all my savings and more. On top of that!!!! I find out I have 3 cavities and an infected root canal all while having no insurance. :(.

I'm confused on if I should still take t3. I think my main focus should be on optimizing my liver and gut health first before trying to kick up my metabolism. Conversion and high reverse t3 were my main issues, I think taking t3 only without focusing enough on liver and gut health and endotoxins and proper sunlight exposure and stress reduction and eating enough is where I'm going wrong. I had been taking t3 for 3-4 months and only in the last 2 weeks have I decided to change my diet! I'm praying fixing my diet will fix everything else. I'll taper down my t3 dose back down a bit, maybe 15 mcg per day, while focusing on detoxing the liver. I will then not be afraid to add in t4. Till then it's back to the basics and restarting. I'm quitting all supplements except charcoal.

youngsinatra

There are so many things that increase reverse T3.

Caloric restriction, carbohydrate restriction, high cortisol, chronic infections (intestine!), sluggish liver function, nutrient deficiencies.

On the other hand, I think that many of those can improve under T3 treatment. Like T3 stimulating motility in SIBO patient, or stimulating bile flow in a liver disease patient.

Last edited:

Martin

Never had good success with thyroid supplements either. I think ray mentioned the thyroid can recover quickly, even from long term thyroid supplementation.

stoic

This is an important and truthful post.

I have struggled with depression, anger and frustration for most of my life, and although I have made good progress over the years, there are still moments, days, sometimes weeks, when things just don't feel right. When this happens, I focus on accepting that these feelings are not forever and do not define me, and try to take care of myself as best I can, knowing that things can always get better. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but they will. I'm a bit older than OP, and my experiences have taught me that this is true. The world is full of opportunities, and with some energy and creativity, everything can change.

OP, if you are not feeling well, try to slowly reduce and then stop taking any supplements, as they can often do more harm than good. Get back to the basics: minimise negative stress, relax, focus on things you might enjoy, work on improving one area of your life at a time and, most importantly, treat yourself well. You are an intelligent being and will find new ways to get better.

wzuo

I think maybe cypro isn't doing much. I think it might have even caused a worsening of my dry skin. My skin has gone from its normal complexion with a few rashes to my whole body being dry. Like my skin literally changed color, it looks much more dehydrated and inflamed and "old".

I don't do carrot salad enough. I will start to incorporate it tomorrow. I saw my family this weekend and I hadn't seen them in a while so I decided to let loose and enjoy some non peat approved foods. Will regret it tomorrow but it was worth it. I don't eat enough food too I think. I try to eat 3 meals a day but I'm broke as I just graduated. I had to buy my own car but the crazy thing is I crashed the car 3 days after buying it. This whole ordeal and having to buy another car ate up into all my savings and more. On top of that!!!! I find out I have 3 cavities and an infected root canal all while having no insurance. :(.

I'm confused on if I should still take t3. I think my main focus should be on optimizing my liver and gut health first before trying to kick up my metabolism. Conversion and high reverse t3 were my main issues, I think taking t3 only without focusing enough on liver and gut health and endotoxins and proper sunlight exposure and stress reduction and eating enough is where I'm going wrong. I had been taking t3 for 3-4 months and only in the last 2 weeks have I decided to change my diet! I'm praying fixing my diet will fix everything else. I'll taper down my t3 dose back down a bit, maybe 15 mcg per day, while focusing on detoxing the liver. I will then not be afraid to add in t4. Till then it's back to the basics and restarting. I'm quitting all supplements except charcoal.
No worries mate. I had to change car 4 times this year because all of them was a garbage and turned out to be a scam by seller. I live in rural area so without car you're grounded and you almost can do nothing.
Maybe you could try clove essential oil or cloves for your teeth temporarily, they are used in endodontics for disinfection and pain relief.

Sensitivity to T3 may be caused and probably is by elevated stress hormones that's why you are getting anxiety attacks. Your body is running on stress hormones and T3 makes you more sensitive to them.
Don't blame yourself for not following "Peat diet principles", it can will do more harm than actually not following it. I have been on weird diets for few years and despite they were harmful to body they also were more harmful for my mind. Take your time with your relatives, just try to don't eat garbage food

Waynish

It seems to do more harm than good in most people I've seen try it, and they all seem to have crappy livers.

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
It seems to do more harm than good in most people I've seen try it, and they all seem to have crappy livers.
Do you have any tips for improving the liver? My liver tests come back normal, every once in a while my bilirubin will be high though.

Waynish

Do you have any tips for improving the liver? My liver tests come back normal, every once in a while my bilirubin will be high though.
I don't think liver tests are useful unless they're done by a skilled chinese medicine practitioner. Find one that does pulse reading and herbs and see what they say.

Mazzle

Do you have some Magnesium? Take a good dose for a couple of days (ie at least 1000mg three times a day or more up to bowel tolerance) If that's going to help then you should see a lift in mood within the week. Take B1 - that's also another really good sup which I found good for feelings of detachment. Thyroid needs selenium Take selenium. Thyroid needs Iodine. Get some Lugols - put one drop on arm (it stains, be careful with clothing) If stain goes roughly within an hour or two you could be low. Keep putting one drop a day on arm till the stain lasts a good 4-5 hours or so. Taking Selenium, Magnesium and Iodine topically may make the T3 more effective so adjust dose. This is just advice based on observations with myself but we are all different so you need to explore what works for you. Its all one big experiment. Listen to your insticnts. Go well and good luck

PeterSN

What is your total cholesterol?

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
It depends,
what are your main symptoms that are troubling you right now?
Really bad skin quality, dry skin. Brittle hair, low temps and pulse, I had low temps and pulse despite being on 25 mcg of t3. I have since dropped it a bit. I still struggle with anxiety and depression, bad bowel movements. Sneezing a lot and clogged nose. Itchy skin/eczema/seb derm.

youngsinatra

Really bad skin quality, dry skin. Brittle hair, low temps and pulse, I had low temps and pulse despite being on 25 mcg of t3. I have since dropped it a bit. I still struggle with anxiety and depression, bad bowel movements. Sneezing a lot and clogged nose. Itchy skin/eczema/seb derm.
Have you considered low cortisol?

As you know, when you are under stress your adrenals secrete a lot of cortisol and the body adaptively starts to favor reverse T3 over T3 to slow the system down protectively.

When the stress gets very prolonged, some people end up progressing to adrenal exhaustion where adrenal output diminishes and cortisol levels gets low.

Hans Selye talke about this in „General adaptation syndrome (GAS)“ which is the three-stage process that describes the physiological changes your body goes through when under stress.

Some say that when someone gets into the scenario of low cortisol (stage 3 adrenal burnout) the reverse T3 will stay high, protectively, because T3 would increase/accelerate cortisol clearance and depress already low cortisol levels even further.

I am not that knowledgable in that area but I remember reading about it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals