Misdiagnosed Hypothyroidism (low T3 Syndrome) My Findings

OP
C

Cm00

I got my thyroid checked today, they will check TSH, Free T4, Free T3. I also confirmed that they tested me for anitbodies 6 weeks ago, still neagtive, been the same for years, definitely not hashimotos.

I requested they check Free Testosterone too since my libido is dwindling.

I had blood pressure checked too, it's quite low, it could be because i am fairly fit, some friends describe me as an athlete. But could it also mean something else, to do with adrenals perhaps?

81/56 blood pressure with 57 heart rate. (I don't feel faint or anything)

mlc2010

Cm00 said:
I got my thyroid checked today, they will check TSH, Free T4, Free T3. I also confirmed that they tested me for anitbodies 6 weeks ago, still neagtive, been the same for years, definitely not hashimotos.

I requested they check Free Testosterone too since my libido is dwindling.

I had blood pressure checked too, it's quite low, it could be because i am fairly fit, some friends describe me as an athlete. But could it also mean something else, to do with adrenals perhaps?

81/56 blood pressure with 57 heart rate. (I don't feel faint or anything)

hey mate, exact same as me.. high tsh, perfect ft3/ft4, high rt3... nhs doesnt have a clue

you tried t3 only? helped me a little, didnt stick with it though

my vit d is top of range but again, im like you, I don't eat enough

you checked prolactin and shbg? my shbg is high, be interesting to see what yours is

OP
C

Cm00

Yes I requested they check SHBG a few times before, I believe it was on the high end of normal. That was while I was dieting hard and fasting though, in early 2013. It was that spring of 2013 when I stopped dieting, stopped fasting, started eating 3000-3400 calories a day and began sunbathing a lot that I suddenly got really healthy and my free testosterone was at the top of the range. I actually got my SHBG down significantly doing that, to about the middle of the range. Having high SHBG was a real worry for me, and I was very pleased when I got it down to normal levels. I had a great sex drive and loads of energy, I was just healthier and happier than I'd ever been.

I try to do everything the same as I was doing then. But I can't change the seasons, summer is long over, the days and shorter and there is no chance to sunbathe.

I am pretty much convinced that sunbathing is the most important factor and I can't do it at this time of year. I am not certain it is specifically the sunbathing that got me so healthy or if it was just the fact that I was spending a lot more time outside in direct daylight. Perhaps it's both.

For the past 2 weeks I've been using this SAD light therapy box in the mornings and sometimes early evenings. I've also been trying to get outside when possible but it's not always so easy due to how busy I have been recently. I have however managed to spend an hour in the sun here or there when the sun is out, which is rare recently. I told my doctor about all of this and he thinks it's not specifically sunlight that is required, it's just daylight, and so even spending time outdoors on a cloudy day will have an effect.

So I had a blood test last week, they checked several things, thyroid, testosterone, etc.

TSH 5.41 (range 0.5 to 4.5)
Free T4 17 (range 11-24)
Free testosterone 23 (range 9 - 29)

That's a huge improvement in TSH from last time, 6 weeks ago my TSH was 7.9 - The doctor gave me thyroid meds but I never took them, I've just been trying to get more daylight. So I achieved a TSH drop of near enough 8 to 5.4 - Free T4 is up from 15 to 17, that's a better level to be at, it has gone up.

For 2 weeks that red area on my lip cleared up completely, though in the last few days it suddenly came back a little but it's not so bad as usual. My libido has improved slightly.

Free testosterone 23 (range 9 - 29)

Testosterone is at a pretty good level, I thought it would be much lower, especially in winter.

My doctor doesn't want to prescribe T3, I could easily buy it online anyway if I wanted to but I am not convinced it will help. I have the option of taking a T4 med (thyroxine) but I don't know if I should, I was on it before and it didn't help. I know more now though, with everything else in order, perhaps it could help? Not sure.

Anyway, if your problem is the same as mine, perhaps it's a lack of daylight or sunlight. It depends if you are getting enough of it. If you are dieting hard, not getting enough calories, this could cause it, as could excessive exercise. I have learned that you have to get everything in the right balance, and then your body will become healthy and everything works the way it should. For me that meant doing some exercise but not excessive, eating enough calories and it's not only about calories but also about what foods you eat, for instance you need natural fats in your diet, dairy, olive oil, eggs. You also need sufficient cholesterol and eggs are perfect for that, beef is good too, I was eating 5 or 6 eggs a day and beef twice a day when I got really healthy. I had my carbs at 350g+ a day, 100-120g fats a day, and 160-180g protein a day. I ate beef and salmon every day, no chicken at all. The natural cholesterol in eggs and meat is not bad for you and we need it to function properly and in hormone production. My diet was roughly 30-35% fats, 40-45% carbs, 25-30% protein.

I have everything wrote down that I was doing when I fixed this, because back then I was determined to solve this and I knew if I logged everything I was doing, what I ate, how I felt and what my blood test results were that I would know the solution when I found it. And I did find it. I just never realised until now that sunlight or daylight played such an important role in why I became so healthy, I always thought it was my diet.

After the end of that summer last year I was sticking to everything I had figured out and yet my great health seemed to be diminishing. This diminishment began in late september after the weather turned worse and I stopped sunbathing (i started to spend very little time outdoors again). By october and november most of that great health I experienced had gone. Back then I was drinking alcohol on most saturday nights, I thought it must have been the alcohol taking its toll on my health and I assumed my loss of great health was that. I didn't drink at all during the week.

However the same thing happened this year, and although I didn't achieve such great health this year as I did last year, I hardly had time to go outside much this summer as I was very busy. I had much less chance to sunbathe, I did see some improvement though, particularly after the holiday to spain, where I sunbathed all week. My libido was through the roof for a while after that, and even my girlfriend felt improvement, it effected her too.

But these past few months, since september, my health has really gone downhill again. Same as last year. But I haven't had any alcohol in ages, so it's happpening again the same as last year, except no alcohol involved this time. That means it's not the alcohol, adding everything up, it's obviously daylight or sunlight.

OP
C

Cm00

Science backs up what I have found

http://androseries.wordpress.com/tag/se ... -globulin/

Research shows that testosterone levels are highest in men during the summer months of June though July. (1) In a study involving men between the ages of 19-30, researchers found that only 1 hour of sunlight exposure stimulated luteinizing hormone (LH) production by 69.5% (2) luteinizing hormone is the primary hormone that signals the testes to increase testosterone production.

OP
C

Cm00

I think i've made a breakthrough and discovered the cause. I guessed it was sunshine because all the evidence points towards it. Looks like it's vitamin D. Vitamin D3 in supplement form won't help, it is not the the same as sunshine. It makes perfect sense to be honest, putting sunshine in a bottle? Quite stupid of people to think it would be so simple as that.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/
http://stephanie-on-health.blogspot.co. ... y-for.html

I believe, first of all, that the distinction between vitamin D3 and vitamin D3-sulfate really matters, and also that the distinction between vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 really matters. Vitamin D2 is the plant form of the vitamin -- it works similarly to D3 with respect to calcium transport, but it cannot be sulfated. Furthermore, apparently the body is unable to produce vitamin D3 sulfate directly from unsulfated vitamin D3 [Lakdawala1977] (which implies that it produces vitamin D3 sulfate directly from cholesterol sulfate). I am not aware of any other food source besides raw milk that contains vitamin D3 in the sulfated form. So, when studies monitor either vitamin D supplements or vitamin D serum levels, they're not getting at the crucial aspect for heart protection, which I think is the serum level of vitamin D3 sulfate.

Furthermore, I believe it is extremely likely that vitamin D3 sulfate is not the only thing that's impacted by greater sun exposure, and maybe not even the most important thing. Given that cholesterol sulfate and vitamin D3 sulfate are very similar in molecular structure, I would imagine that both molecules are produced the same way. And since vitamin D3-sulfate synthesis requires sun exposure, I suspect that cholesterol sulfate synthesis may also exploit the sun's radiation energy.

Let me summarize at this point where I'm on solid ground and where I'm speculating. It is undisputed that the skin synthesizes cholesterol sulfate in large amounts, and it has been suggested that the skin is the major supplier of cholesterol sulfate to the blood stream [Strott2003]. The skin also synthesizes vitamin D3 sulfate, upon exposure to sunlight. Vitamin D3 is synthesized from cholesterol, with oxysterols (created from sun exposure) as an intermediate step (oxysterols are forms of cholesterol with hydroxyl groups attached at various places in the carbon chain). The body can't synthesize vitamin D3 sulfate from vitamin D3 [Lakdawala1977] so it must be that sulfation happens first, producing cholesterol sulfate or hydroxy-cholesterol sulfate, which is then optionally converted to vitamin D3 sulfate or shipped out "as is."

http://www.mommypotamus.com/why-vitamin ... -sunshine/

MIT senior scientist, Dr. Stephanie Seneff, has claimed that the vitamin D3 our skin produces in sunlight is not the same as the vitamin D3 we take in supplement form. This is because our skin produces a different type of vitamin D, called vitamin D3 sulfate. Vitamin D3 sulfate is the highly active form of vitamin D3 and is responsible for the overwhelming majority of the beneficial effects the body receives from vitamin D.

She claims that after vitamin D3 sulfate does its job, what's left is just plain vitamin D3, the kind that we take in supplement form, and this does have some function, it works to enhance calcium transport, and this is why studies are failing to prove that Vitamin D3 supplements have any beneficial effect. The only proven beneficial effect from supplementing vitamin D is the decrease in hip fractures in the elderly, bone health. That makes sense, because vitamin D3 benefits calcium transport

If you take vitamin D3 supplements of course your blood test results will show normal vitamin D levels, but that's not giving you the true story, because it is vitamin D3 sulfate, produced by your skin, that provides almost all of the beneficial effects of vitamin D and by taking vitamin D3 in supplement form you are not getting any of those beneficial effects, bypassing straight to the final stage of vitamin D3, which is only useful for calcium transport.

I sent the bright light box back to amazon a few weeks ago, I've just been going in the sun as often as possible, and I am experimenting with a tanning bed. So far I've seen a fairly large increase in my sexual function, sex feels much better now, and my lip is much better. I decided to stop taking the vitamin D supplement too.

It's interesting how much of what she summarises fits directly into the primal or paleo lifestyle. Go out in the sun, sunblock is doing you more harm than good. Eat more eggs, eat red meat, yes these foods contain cholesterol but it is the good kind.

Modern lifestyle practices conspire to induce major deficiencies in cholesterol sulfate and vitamin D3 sulfate. We are encouraged to actively avoid sun exposure and to minimize dietary intake of cholesterol-containing foods. We are encouraged to consume a high-carbohydrate/low-fat diet which, as I have argued previously (Seneff2010), leads to impaired cholesterol uptake in cells. We are told nothing about sulfur, yet many factors, ranging from the Clean Air Act to intensive farming to water softeners, deplete the supply of sulfur in our food and water.

Fortunately, correcting these deficiencies at the individual level is easy and straightforward. If you just throw away the sunscreen and eat more eggs, those two steps alone may greatly increase your chances of living a long and healthy life.

Peatri Dish

I think you're on to something there. I appreciate the info about D3. I know for myself, things really fell apart for me when I moved from a very sunny place to a very cloudy place. I still haven't made up the ground I lost. I seriously think about moving back once a week. I'm much happier here but not healthier.

OP
C

Cm00

Yes I think this is it.

Further update: I sent back the light therapy box a few weeks ago, so I've had no light therapy box. Instead I've been spending 30-60 minutes in the sun with only my face and lower arms exposed. I've been able to do this perhaps on 2 days a week on average. I live in the southwest of england, the UV index here at this time of year is only 0-2. You can figure out how much UV you'll get on any given day in your own area by looking at the UV index website: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/ ... ukuk&R=300

What's interesting is the UV index here on most days during this time of year is 0 or 1. Yet right now in countries closer to the equator such as africa, austrailia, south america, the UV index is as high as 12, which is exceptionally high. The UV index in england is never higher than 6 or 7, even in the mid summer months. The UV index is important to go by because it tells you how much UV radiation from the sun is reaching your area on any given day.

I've also been using a sunbed 2-3 weeks a week for 6 minutes each session, which is considered reasonably short for a session, a longer session would be 9 or 12 minutes. I never go red and it's giving me a small tan, I can see that my skin is getting mildly browner, it looks less pale and more healthy.

The most important two things to note is that my lip is completely healed, the red inflammation is gone completely. My libido has also improved, I have more feeling during sex.

It looks like this is the answer, direct sunlight, specifically UV light that the sun emits. Most likely this is because of the vitamin D sulphate our skin produces that we can't get from food or supplements. Vitamin D supplements can't replace the sun it seems, even if they do make it seem that you have high levels of vitamin D in a blood test, it's basically a false result. I am still testing if sunbeds can provide an alternative source of vitamin D producing UV light during winter, so far it looks good at least. This could even explain why some people get so addicted to using sunbeds, it's not just about the colour of the skin. Many of these people claim it's because it makes them feel good, which would make a lot of sense.

OP
C

Cm00

There's a page here that explains the whole sunlight thing very well. This research was done by Dr Stephanie Seneff, a senior research scientist at MIT.

http://trifomania.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0 ... min-d.html

I am certain that she is correct as it gives explanation to everything that I have discovered through my own experience. It summarises perfectly how I achieved such great health in the summer of 2014. It was the combination of sulfur and cholesterol rich natural foods such as fish, eggs, and beef, plus a good dose of sunlight throughout the whole of spring and summer, I have a picture of myself from that summer, it shows how healthy I became. Back then when I showed it to my girlfriend who I met later that year, she said I looked like a magazine cover model. (yes I was that healthy and fit at that time).

Now here's an interesting thing, my 19 year old nephew has just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and has been put on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, which is just as weird as when I was diagnosed as a 25 year old male with the same thing. Even more interesting, his blood test result is remarkably similar to mine was when I was mis-diagnosed. His TSH is 10, and his Free T4 is 15, which is not hypothyroidism, they call that subclinical hypothyroidism and officially little is known about what causes it. He doesn't go outside at all, he spends all of his time indoors, most of which is spent using his computer. He doesn't get any sunlight.

So now I have two reasons to believe that sunlight, or a lack of it, is the reason behind my apparent underactive thyroid. Remember, I don't have the illness that causes hypothyroidism, hashimotos, doctors can find no reason for my blood tests to show it as underactive - they can give me no explanation. My own doctor now agrees with my theory that a lack of sunlight could very well be it.

The MIT scientists research backs up perfectly what I have found, and now my nephew, who lives the exact same kind of sunless lifestyle I was living when I myself was mis-diagnosed with hypothyroidism, has now been mis-diagnosed with the exact same illness from virtually the same test result as mine.

There's more to sunlight than vitamin D, believe me.

OP
C

Cm00

Such_Saturation said:

If you read the link you'd see that's exactly what it talks about. You get cholestrerol sulfate from the sun, it is made in your skin when it is exposed to sunlight, as is vitamin D3 sulfate. Dr Stephanie Seneff strongly believes that it is the cholesterol sulfate that is having most of the beneficial effects on the body, but because vitamin D3 also raises from sunlight exposure, that is where the credit is wrongly going.

I also understand that daylight exposure influences the body in other ways however those are not my problem, a lack of UV radiation from the sun is, and because of that I know it must be cholesterol sulfate and vitamin D3 sulfate.

Cm00 said:
Such_Saturation said:

If you read the link you'd see that's exactly what it talks about. You get cholestrerol sulfate from the sun, it is made in your skin when it is exposed to sunlight, as is vitamin D3 sulfate. Dr Stephanie Seneff strongly believes that it is the cholesterol sulfate that is having most of the beneficial effects on the body, but because vitamin D3 also raises from sunlight exposure, that is where the credit is wrongly going.

I also understand that daylight exposure influences the body in other ways however those are not my problem, a lack of UV radiation from the sun is, and because of that I know it must be cholesterol sulfate and vitamin D3 sulfate.

You need red light as well to prevent winter sickness or your mitochondria will start to die and the glands will shrink.

OP
C

Cm00

Does it have to be red or can it be infrared? The one I am looking at that and linked is infrared.

Gl;itch.e

Cm00: On the skin thing. Have you tried Carrot salad (or bamboo shoots)? I used to get a rash on my calf every winter that I thought was related to lack of sun (maybe it is partly) but I managed to get it to clear up with a regular carrot salad a day. In fact when I forget to eat the carrot salad in winter it will come back after a few weeks, but only a day or two of carrot salad see's it disappear again. I think skin things are more often than not tied to gut/intestines. Worth a shot IMO. Maybe the gut needs more support to during winter because of the extra stress of lack of sun etc.

OP
C

Cm00

I haven't tried the carrot thing no, I don't eat much carrot. Why do you suppose the carrot could help?

OP
C

Cm00

I can't find any information stating infrared doesn't work. On amazon the only products I can find that are popular are the infrared ones such as the one I linked. I am not sure if I should just go ahead and buy the infrared one. Even the philips one you linked says it is infrared "InfraRed Industrial Heat Incandescent"

These are the products that come up

Medisana 88254 Infrared Lamp (IRL)

Intensive infrared light to relieve muscle aches or common colds
Alleviates pain, increases blood circulation
Effective heat therapy through pressed glass bulb
Adjustable inclination
150 Watt

Beurer IL 50 Infrared heat lamp 300W

Powerful heavy duty infrared lamp to relieve muscle aches or common colds
Soothing warmth helps reduce pain, increases blood circulation
Medically certified product, 100% UV blocker
Continuously adjustable inclination, digital timer
300w infrared glass plate, auto switch off, active ventilation

This page claims that infrared and red light therapy work the same way: http://redlighttherapy.lighttherapyopti ... t-therapy/

How Does it Work?

Red infrared light therapy works exactly the same way red light therapy works. Visible red and invisible near infrared energy are absorbed by photoreceptors in each cell. Once absorbed, the light energy kicks off a whole series of metabolic events, stimulating the body’s natural processes on a cellular level. There is an increase in blood flow, allowing the parts of the body to receive the oxygen and nutrients they need in order to function more effectively. Regeneration is stimulated. Inflammation and pain are reduced.

The cytochromes absorb red, not infrared. Infrared might still be helpful for water structure. But the Philips would be invisible were it only infrared and believe me when I say the room looks like a porn studio when it's on. There's even red paint on the glass to block yellow light which means the bulb naturally emits deep into the visible spectrum.

OP
C

Cm00

The philips one you use says it is infrared though: http://download.p4c.philips.com/l4b/9/9 ... _aenaa.pdf

BR125 IR 250W E27 230-250V Red 1CT

The Philips infrared incandescent reflector lamps are designed to work
in the toughest environment such as farm, bathroom or kitchen and
their nearest surrounding. They have a reinforced construction thanks
to hard glass use. Their compact form and universal cap base allow
them to be used with any suitable equipment. A very good method of
generating warmth is by using heat lamps. The Philips infrared lamps
provide direct, draught-free warmth to the animals, people, but also
food. These benefits have made farmers, consumers and cooks around
the world choose Philips infrared lamps, because they are the
sturdiest, most efficient lamps available for these applications.

OP
C

Cm00

Also, what distance are you supposed to be from the red light? And how long should you use it for each day? Is it supposed to be aimed at a certain part of your body?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals