I Think High Serotonin Is Holding Me Back

I believe that my serotonin levels are way too high, the best way I can describe my current health situation is that I feel as though my body is stuck in hibernation mode, and all the non-essential parts of my brain have shut down. It's actually incredibly difficult to even identify and describe my symptoms because I feel so dissociated. I've always had these symptoms to a moderate degree but it really escalated 10x a year and a bit ago. I can't really feel much emotion, when someone asks me "how are you?" I never can answer truly, and feel like I have to make something up. I have always relished in my own defeat, which I think is a learned helplessness thing. My thinking is negative and over-analytical, and I have very high anticipation anxiety and social anxiety (have trouble looking people in the eye), although when it comes to anxiety, the best way I can describe how I feel about it is that I feel as though it's a completely 'physical' aspect, as in I know that I shouldn't be anxious about a certain thing or this person isn't going to hurt me but my brain/body just betrays me and does it's thing while I sit in the back and watch. One of my most terrifying symptoms is the derealization/depersonalisation, which seems to be inducible via certain serotonin "receptors", in the past the only thing that's helped the dr/dp (slightly, enough to be noticeable) is smoking tobacco. My penis is numb and I have ejaculatory anhedonia and there is not an ounce of muscle on my body. I have this consistent feeling like I wish I was suicidal but am unable to be, which I guess is because serotonin is meant to essentially numb you down so much so you don't worry about stress. I take 1mg cyproheptadine twice daily, although I only feel a slightly increased sense of well-being on it, I have persistent diarrhea and other digestive symptoms if I don't take it

I have incorporated a diet with milk, cheese, fruit juice, gelatin, oysters, liver, eggs, and raw carrot - supplements I take regularly now are niacinamide, progesterone, p5p, b1, vitamins adek, taurine, pau d'arco, and cascara. I have experimented with not taking these and taking others, and this current seems to make me feel best, although I can't really tell, it's extremely subtle (I ensure no silica, gums, and empty the capsules so I don't have to eat them). I get sunlight and red bulb light everyday, and actively try not to stick to a routine, and as hard as it is for me I try to socialize and explore.

I started thyroid supplementation (idealabs tyromix) a few weeks ago, and I can't say it makes me feel any better. I kept a chart of my temperature and pulse, and it seems that I have to keep my dosage at 1 drop a day (3mcg t3 6mcg t4) otherwise my afternoon temperature goes over 98.6. My heart rate was 85 before thyroid supplementation, now it's consistently 95. I suspect my pulse and temperature is being held up by serotonin, seeing as hyperthermia is a symptom of serotonin syndrome. I can actually induce mild symptoms of serotonin syndrome by eating a lot of starch.

Reading Peat's articles on serotonin and seeing him mention LSD, I tried a dose of 20mcg but all it did was make me feel slightly high without any of the good parts of being high, and I feel like a higher dose would be even more unpleasant. I'm going to assume it wasn't real acid, as much as my friends who have used the same tabs seem to think it is. I've also tried 600mg of l-theanine often, with no effect.

So yeah, I feel like I've got the right diet, lifestyle, am taking supplements that at least don't make me feel better when I'm not taking them, and I'm taking thyroid with my temperature stable at what it should be, but I don't feel better at all - and I assume my serotonin is still sky high, so I'm sort of lost for ideas of what to do at this point :(

@haidut if you think any of your products would help my rat who has identical symptoms to me, I'd buy him your entire shop at this point.

Last edited:

retroactive

Try cyproheptadine. Its fairly safe, cheap and available and will antagonize serotonin receptors.

HumanLife

Try cyproheptadine. Its fairly safe, cheap and available and will antagonize serotonin receptors.
They already said they use it.

I'm not an expert of neurochemicals or whatnot, but reading less and doing fun and engaging activities gets my attention off negative thoughts. I believe I read here once that even Peat has days off reading to get a mental break. How is your sleep? If you pick up a physical book and start reading it at 8pm, it can help you sleep earlier than usual.

Unfortunately with the restrictions imposed by the government, you have less of an opportunity to interact with people and do fun things together, or take a break by travelling somewhere. If you can find something that distracts you from your overthinking, you could improve a bit.

dukesbobby777

It sounds like you have high serotonin and that you’re depressed. There are probably many people like you that are here, including me. How long have you been employing a pro-thyroid lifestyle? If you have high serotonin it’s most likely down to your lifestyle, but that’s easier said than done to change. I don’t think taking that many supplements is going to have an overall majorly positive effect (unless you notice such). They can cause more problems when you are taking that many. Cyproheptadine can antagonize the serotonin/dopamine balance because it antagonizes dopamine as well. So although it lowers serotonin, it might lower the already low dopamine state that you have as well. I wouldn’t particularly recommend something like metergoline, but it may be better for a person in high serotonin/low dopamine state. Thyroid can be notoriously difficult to perfect in terms of supplementation, so can be a case of experimenting.

retroactive

They already said they use it.

I'm not an expert of neurochemicals or whatnot, but reading less and doing fun and engaging activities gets my attention off negative thoughts. I believe I read here once that even Peat has days off reading to get a mental break. How is your sleep? If you pick up a physical book and start reading it at 8pm, it can help you sleep earlier than usual.

Unfortunately with the restrictions imposed by the government, you have less of an opportunity to interact with people and do fun things together, or take a break by travelling somewhere. If you can find something that distracts you from your overthinking, you could improve a bit.S
Sorry missed that.
The other thing is to understand what supports production of serotonin: ie tryptophan and intestinal stress
Eating easily digestible foods, limiting endotoxin production/absorption by insoluble fiber or antibiotics, and limited tryptophan consumption (limit muscle meat). There are also things that compete reduce tryptophan conversion to serotonin ie coffee, quinine

tankasnowgod

I believe that my serotonin levels are way too high, the best way I can describe my current health situation is that I feel as though my body is stuck in hibernation mode, and all the non-essential parts of my brain have shut down. It's actually incredibly difficult to even identify and describe my symptoms because I feel so dissociated. I've always had these symptoms to a moderate degree but it really escalated 10x a year and a bit ago. I can't really feel much emotion, when someone asks me "how are you?" I never can answer truly, and feel like I have to make something up. I have always relished in my own defeat, which I think is a learned helplessness thing. My thinking is negative and over-analytical, and I have very high anticipation anxiety and social anxiety (have trouble looking people in the eye), although when it comes to anxiety, the best way I can describe how I feel about it is that I feel as though it's a completely 'physical' aspect, as in I know that I shouldn't be anxious about a certain thing or this person isn't going to hurt me but my brain/body just betrays me and does it's thing while I sit in the back and watch. One of my most terrifying symptoms is the derealization/depersonalisation, which seems to be inducible via certain serotonin "receptors", in the past the only thing that's helped the dr/dp (slightly, enough to be noticeable) is smoking tobacco. My penis is numb and I have ejaculatory anhedonia and there is not an ounce of muscle on my body. I have this consistent feeling like I wish I was suicidal but am unable to be, which I guess is because serotonin is meant to essentially numb you down so much so you don't worry about stress. I take 1mg cyproheptadine twice daily, although I only feel a slightly increased sense of well-being on it, I have persistent diarrhea and other digestive symptoms if I don't take it
Have you thought about trying higher cyproheptadine doses?

I have incorporated a diet with milk, cheese, fruit juice, gelatin, oysters, liver, eggs, and raw carrot - supplements I take regularly now are niacinamide, progesterone, p5p, b1, vitamins adek, taurine, pau d'arco, and cascara. I have experimented with not taking these and taking others, and this current seems to make me feel best, although I can't really tell, it's extremely subtle (I ensure no silica, gums, and empty the capsules so I don't have to eat them). I get sunlight and red bulb light everyday, and actively try not to stick to a routine, and as hard as it is for me I try to socialize and explore.

I started thyroid supplementation (idealabs tyromix) a few weeks ago, and I can't say it makes me feel any better. I kept a chart of my temperature and pulse, and it seems that I have to keep my dosage at 1 drop a day (3mcg t3 6mcg t4) otherwise my afternoon temperature goes over 98.6. My heart rate was 85 before thyroid supplementation, now it's consistently 95. I suspect my pulse and temperature is being held up by serotonin, seeing as hyperthermia is a symptom of serotonin syndrome. I can actually induce mild symptoms of serotonin syndrome by eating a lot of starch.
Then why are you eating starch? Have you tried a no starch diet?

Reading Peat's articles on serotonin and seeing him mention LSD, I tried a dose of 20mcg but all it did was make me feel slightly high without any of the good parts of being high, and I feel like a higher dose would be even more unpleasant. I'm going to assume it wasn't real acid, as much as my friends who have used the same tabs seem to think it is. I've also tried 600mg of l-theanine often, with no effect.

So yeah, I feel like I've got the right diet, lifestyle, am taking supplements that at least don't make me feel better when I'm not taking them, and I'm taking thyroid with my temperature stable at what it should be, but I don't feel better at all - and I assume my serotonin is still sky high, so I'm sort of lost for ideas of what to do at this point :(

@haidut if you think any of your products would help my rat who has identical symptoms to me, I'd buy him your entire shop at this point.

Before asking for personal advice, you could maybe read some of the descriptions of Idealabs products. For example-

There's also other dietary interventions you could try. For example-

Ignoramus

I feel for you :( I hate feeling like this.

Maybe you need to shake things up a bit; do something wild and surprise yourself. You could go skateboarding at night, or go see a prostitute, or sleep in a tent in your backyard; anything that might provide you with a novel and exciting experience. Even getting up at a different time or fasting for a couple of days might be helpful.

Good luck bud ❤️

Ignoramus

Also, do you think you are living in accordance with you 'highest self'? Maybe your subconscious is telling you that it is time for a big change...

L

Lord Cola

Even if one ate all the foods recommended by Peat, quality varies a lot depending on the environment. I have been feeling high serotonin ever since I lost access to some good quality foods that I used to eat, like sweet oranges and organic milk.

Eating lots and lots of beef gelatin helps reduce high serotonin symptoms but that doesn't feel like addressing the basic issues that are causing high serotonin in the first place.

I suspect that eating too much carrot can irritate the small intestine and increase serotonin, while eating too little insoluble fiber also leads to increased gut inflammation.

When LSD is used too often, even in low doses, they seem to lead to increased serotonin symptoms on days when one doesn't use them, though the reaction would probably vary depending on the person.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals