Dry brittle hair, still hypo despite 3 months on t3. Need help.

dervmai

progress
Been on t3 for 3 months now. My temps haven't gone up though. The only improvements I've seen is in sleep though and my constipation, however it could be due to cypro. I am retesting my thyroid today so I will have some more info in a couple days.

My issue was high reverse t3. I had a 28 reverse t3 and the range was 8-25. My tsh was also 3.11. Temps would be low 96s in the mornings and they still are which is concerning.

Anyway. My hair is super dry and brittle, despite me only shampooing like 2-3 times a week and always using oils before shampooing and sometimes after.
I think it is metabolism related. However I've been on t3 for months now, I'd hope things would improve but my temps are still the same.

youngsinatra

Been on t3 for 3 months now. My temps haven't gone up though. The only improvements I've seen is in sleep though and my constipation, however it could be due to cypro. I am retesting my thyroid today so I will have some more info in a couple days.

My issue was high reverse t3. I had a 28 reverse t3 and the range was 8-25. My tsh was also 3.11. Temps would be low 96s in the mornings and they still are which is concerning.

Anyway. My hair is super dry and brittle, despite me only shampooing like 2-3 times a week and always using oils before shampooing and sometimes after.
I think it is metabolism related. However I've been on t3 for months now, I'd hope things would improve but my temps are still the same.
How much T3 are you using daily?

youngsinatra

High reverse T3 can have many causes. It‘s oftentimes seen in the context of chronic caloric restriction, fasting, nutrient deficiencies and/or chronic infections.

Basically anything that increases cortisol/stress can elevate rT3. It could be any type of stress - whether it is physiological, psychological, environmental, chemical, gastrointestinal, relationship or work-related stress does not matter, as you body responds to stress pretty universally.

Eating enough calories, balanced solid meals, working on keeping gut irritation low, ensuring good sleep, maybe avoiding or reducing caffeine for a while, active relaxation methods, walking and getting some sunlight would likely help to build solid foundation.

These would be my suggestions.

drdeb Ph.D.

Forum Supporter
I think I have been hypothyroid my entire life. My hair and skin were always dry and hair frizzy. Finally they prescribed thyroid meds about 8 years ago. I take NP thyroid (similar to Armour) 120 mg. It has T3 and T4. Medical insurance does not cover it. I pay out of pocket. It works for T3 and T4. I quit coloring my hair during Covid, and I get keratin treatments. These things along with the proper amount of natural thyroid have really improved my hair, skin, and nails. I hear your pain! That was me for most of my life. I hope you find some needed assistance!

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
I think I have been hypothyroid my entire life. My hair and skin were always dry and hair frizzy. Finally they prescribed thyroid meds about 8 years ago. I take NP thyroid (similar to Armour) 120 mg. It has T3 and T4. Medical insurance does not cover it. I pay out of pocket. It works for T3 and T4. I quit coloring my hair during Covid, and I get keratin treatments. These things along with the proper amount of natural thyroid have really improved my hair, skin, and nails. I hear your pain! That was me for most of my life. I hope you find some needed assistance!
Did you ever recover your hair?

Mr Joe

Have you checked your vitamin D levels ? Sometimes extreme low vitamin D levels prevent thyroid from working correctly.

Pablo Cruise

As pointed out by other blogger, you may need the T4 in dessicated thyroid or Armour Thyroid as some call it. Blood tests do not accurately reflect the need for it and some docs will never admit their patients need any thing other than T3. Spoken from experience.

Mathgirl

Have you tried other vitamins? My hair is doing really good. I take ADKE, b vitmains, taurine niacinimide and aspirin. Also some DHEA/Prgesterone

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals