High basal temp and low thyroid symptoms

HDD

This was the list if symptoms given to me-

Salt will relieve your adrenals, lower cortisol and increase thyroid function a little. After a week of increased salt you can slowly start adding thyroid supplement. 

Cold intolerance, increased sensitivity to cold
Constipation
Weight gain and water retention
Bradycardia (low heart rate – fewer than sixty beats per minute)
Fatigue
Decreased sweating
Muscle cramps and joint pain
Dry, itchy skin
Thin, brittle fingernails
Rapid thoughts
Depression
Poor muscle tone (muscle hypotonia)
Female infertility; any kind of problems with menstrual cycles
Hyperprolactinemia and galactorrhea
Elevated serum cholesterol
Goiter
Slow speech and a hoarse, breaking voice – deepening of the voice can also be noticed, caused by Reinke's Edema.
Dry puffy skin, especially on the face
Thinning of the outer third of the eyebrows (sign of Hertoghe)
Abnormal menstrual cycles
Low basal body temperature
Thyroid-related depression
Infertility in both men and women
Mood swings
Acute fatigue syndrome
Stress
Decreased libido in men
hypertension; Hypothyroidism increased peripheral vascular resistance, increase diastolic pressure, increased mean arterial pressure
carpal tunnel syndrome and bilateral paresthesias
Impaired memory
Impaired cognitive function (brain fog) and inattentiveness.
A slow heart rate with ECG changes including low voltage signals. Diminished cardiac output and decreased contractility
Reactive (or post-prandial) hypoglycemia
Sluggish reflexes
Hair loss
Anemia caused by impaired haemoglobin synthesis (decreased erythropoietin levels), impaired intestinal iron and folate absorption or B12 deficiency from pernicious anemia
Difficulty swallowing
Shortness of breath with a shallow and slow respiratory pattern
Increased need for sleep
Irritability and mood instability
Yellowing of the skin due to impaired conversion of beta-carotene to vitamin A (carotoderma)
Impaired renal function with decreased glomerular filtration rate
Acute psychosis (myxedema madness) 
Decreased libido 
Decreased sense of taste and smell (anosmia)
Puffy face, hands and feet (late, less common symptoms)
Gynecomastia
Deafness
Enlarged tongue

P.S. I haven't seen night terrors on any list but I used to get them.

OP
B
I just read this on stopthethyroidmadness.com...

WHAT IF MY TEMPERATURE IS HIGH, YET I HAVE HYPOTHYROID SYMPTOMS? This is a clue that you may have an antibodies attack on your thyroid, called Hashimotos Disease, making it wise to do the two antibodies tests to confirm or rule out Hashi’s. Don’t let your doc just test one! Do both! Or order you own here. P.S. You don’t necessarily have Hashi’s if the result is low.

Then, about treating Hashimotos, she said...

A caveat: some have noted that it will be impossible to raise well if you have developed a cortisol issue or low iron. Those need to be tested correctly and results understood. Also, many Hashi’s patients need to be off gluten, use selenium to help lower antibodies, or use Low Dose Naltrexone for more stubborn cases (prescription by your doc). Some patients report that their iodine use greatly lowered antibodies, but they needed to use supporting nutrients because of the detox.

So, frustrating! So, I might have Hashi's, but if I do, I may not be able to successfully treat it, since I'm anemia and my cortisol is likely high??

Haagendazendiane, I eat a ton of celtic sea salt. Am I supposed to eat more than what I use to taste?

HDD

RP doesn't recommend the sea salts. Just plain pickling salt. Cheap. How much salt is individual. One forum member needed up to 3 Tbsp. Are you salting foods or taking as a supplement? Some salt their OJ. I salt my foods heavily and sometimes just eat a pinch.

Shellfish for selenium. Shrimp. Oysters.

Are you consuming enough sugars?

Ray Peat has an excellent article on iron.

I know this is all overwhelming, there is a lot to learn.

Dutchie

4peatssake said:
Dutchie said:
Well,i wasnt referring to adrenal fatigue but to stressed adrenals.
Dutchie, this sentence makes no sense to me.

Do you understand what Charlie is saying and how the adrenal system kicks in an emergency but long term use of this back up system causes major problems?

This is pretty key to understanding Ray Peat.

The point being made is to fix overall energy production and get your thyroid running optimally and back in charge of things. Taxed adrenals are merely a clue.

You only get permanent results if you address the core issue.

Yes,I understand Charlie's story. I meant that adrenals can suddenly become stressed when you ate a certain food/mineral/ratio overload or whatever that 'does not agree with you'.
But,that's just based on my own experience.

4peatssake

I'm copying a post Rayser made on another thread here because it is directed to blessedmamato3 so I think she posted it on the other thread by mistake. I left her post intact there because it's that good and has helped people on that thread as well.

Yay Rayser!

Really good stuff but I will say again that ThyroGold is not recommended. Edward and others have cautioned against it, particularly as it contains forskolin.

Here is Rayser's post.

Rayser said:
Welcome to the forum, Blessedmamato3.

The symptoms you describe are almost textbook estrogen dominance and hypothyroidism. I recognize a lot of them and I can tell you that they are all (some easily) reversible.

First of all: The basal temperature - is that your temperature after waking up and before getting up? Because during the day it's most likely cortisol keeping your temperature up and only faltering after you ate sugar or salt or calcium. The important temperature is the one under your tongue (or armpit) after you wake up. Ideally the thermometer is on your night stand. You wake up, you take your temperature.

What I noticed immediately is that it seems you need more salt and calcium in your diet. I would not recommend whole milk, most people have problems with it, and I would not recommend yoghurt because for several reasons. Ray Peat recommends 1% milk. Maybe you want to try it? Have you ever tried eggshell powder for the gallstones? I know of several people who had gallstones which disappeared completely after using a teaspoon of powdered egg shells daily for a month. If you prefer milk you would need two litres a day. It would be good to use a few grams of baking soda several times a day, too. Have you ever tried bag breathing? There are many beneficial effects and a few times a day for a few minutes goes a long way.

I would try eating carrot salad with salt, vinegar and olive oil every evening about an hour after dinner. The fibers are anti-bacterial, anti-viral and absorb endotoxins in your stomach. By that they lower estrogen, prolactin and serotonin. Right before you go to bed I would try to drink 1% milk with honey (as much as you like) and some salt. You should sleep through the night then. You could also try some aspirin right before bed. All that will lower the stress hormones and keep your blood sugar up during the night. If you can, sleep with some incandescent lights shining on your feet. It will lower stress hormones, too.

I would suggest you focus on lowering estrogen and parathyroid hormone first. I would drink about a litre of fresh pressed orange juice a day (some people strain it, I don't) to lower estrogen. If you use a pinch of baking soda it will not cause any trouble. Also I would suggest using 500mg of aspirin a day. Make sure you dissolve it in water first. I helps to lower stress hormones. The same goes for vitamin B6. Ray Peat recommends 10mg. Have you been using niacinamid? I noticed the positive effects of 100mg a day immediately.

Don't forget to use enough sugar to keep liver function up. Only the liver can dispose of estrogen and it needs a normal blood sugar level in order to work.

I am pretty sure you have too little sodium in your diet. Try supplementing 1 tablespoon a day (you don't have to use it all at once) and make sure it doesn't contain fluoride or iodine. (I would NOT recommend using iodine. It works in many ways which are not fully known yet. Iodine caused hair loss for me and seriously messed up my thyroid by activating stored T4 all at once.) The salt will within a week make the edema better - you will notice that your fingers and toes get slimmer and your tongue will feel more normal.

I had never heard of thyroid Gold but I think it sounds good... Has anybody heard otherwise? I use NDT thiroyd with good results.

Milk, salt and aspirin will help your adrenals recover (you will notice you don't scare that easily anymore) and lower your parathyroid hormone. How much coconut oil (Ray Peat recommends the refined one and I agree) are you using? With that amount of calories you should be able to use at least 3 table spoons. When your thyroid gland works the way it's supposed to your calorie intake will normalize, too. Ray Peat had the same problem once. Somebody posted his answer on the forum.

You mention you eat beef. I suppose, since you haven't added gelatine to your diet yet, you have too much prolactin because of a high intake of tryptophan. I suggest you start to counter it with the other, more beneficial amino acids and make sure you add at least a table spoon of gelatine to every meal you eat. It will lower all kinds of inflammation. Also I would be very careful about the iron intake (excellent article by Ray Peat about Iron's Dangers on his homepage). Always drink coffee (with milk and sugar) or Coca-Cola when you eat meat or other iron rich foods (like oysters).
Have you been eating liver regularly? Or oysters? Both would be highly recommended at least once a week for several minerals and vitamins you might need.

Potatoes are a good source for protein and necessary for the production of progesterone. Have you considered supplementing natural progesterone? I suppose it would be helpful with many of your symptoms.

How were your pregnancies? Any changes you noticed during the pregnancies?

I recommend you try to avoid foods which block the activity of your thyroid gland (goitrogens) like beans and peas a.s.o.

Rayser

Thank you so much 4peatssake!!!! I had to use my iPad yesterday and it takes smarter people than me to use it for writing in a forum. You are absolutely right: The post belonged here.
Thank you for the information about thyroid gold. What a pity! The quality sounded great.

thedetoxdiva

Blessedmamato3 said:
Thanks for your replies!

Forpetessake,

I just turned 40. I haven't had any menopausal symptoms going on that I'm aware of though.

Sure, I didn't know there was a Ray Peat diet LOL. I just heard about him from Matt. Matt preaches heavily against PUFAS, so I've been off them awhile. I haven't messed with vegetable oils and the like for 10 years, except once in a blue moon. I now avoid peanut butter and nuts in general. I've done low carb which produced a health crisis. I'm noticing improvement since following Matt's advice to drastically up carbs to the 400 range.

Also, these symptoms aren't new. I started having hair loss 9 years ago, as well as hard weigh loss and palpitations. A good majority of symptoms have been going on for 5 years. The period stuff for 2 years (my youngest is 2.5). The awful (benign) palps have been going for 3 years, with bouts that are so awful that sleep is impossible.

I've been kicking around high cortisol and adrenal issues as well.

I did the achilies reflex and it appears normal, I assume. If it flexes, it's normal, right? I couldn't find examples of normal or abnormal, so I'm guessing.

Typical day...

B - smoothie with 2c raw milk, 10oz frozen fruit, raw dairy based, non-soy, whey, and 1T rapadura
L - usually more of a snack...a couple bowls of popcorn cooked in coconut oil, raisins and a cup of milk or a yogurt/fruit/whey smoothie
D - grass fed beef, potatoes and green beans
S - throughout day...grapes, apple, cheese, etc

I see a few gaps in your diet that might be contributing to your thyroid symptoms. First would be popcorn. Popcorn, though it might be conceived as ok is actually a starch. From what I see, you have a gut impairment. (I see a LOT of clients just like you in my practice as a holistic nutritionist). Corn also IS a source of PUFA though masa harina (as is what RP generally recommends) has been nixtamalized, popcorn has not.
The frozen fruit you are using might have too much cellulose in an already impaired digestive environment. You aren't using enough sugar and I would recommend honey. What kind of whey are you using? Unless you are using the whey skimmed off of homemade yoghurt that will produce symptoms like estrogen dominance.
You haven't incorporated gelatin. That is kind of the whole start to shoring up an impaired metabolism.
You aren't eating a carrot a day (and yes, if you are 40 you are more than likely estrogen dominant and quite probably perimenopausal as it lasts years before actual menopause.

There are still things you need to radically change. I fear whoever is advising you has only told you 1/4 of the story.

P

Peatness

Adrenals just happen to be at the scene of the crime, they are not however the perpetrator.

Here is my way of understanding "adrenal fatigue" and what's going on:

Thyroid function lowers, normal energy production waivers, body needs more energy and starts up the emergency energy system and kicks in the adrenals. So now you have energy again, albeit, destructive energy that is wrecking your body. So the adrenals are supporting your energy needs now, while at the same time, thyroid function continues to go lower and lower, finally, the body has gotten to the point that it cannot even support your emergency system anymore, so, to save energy, it takes the adrenal system offline. That's when you feel like someone has pulled the plug on your life. That's the dreaded adrenal crash, the OMG I feel like I am dying because there is zero energy available. The adrenals are not "fatigued", the body just does not have the energy supply to support it anymore so it takes the adrenals offline. "Adrenal fatigue"( I cringe using those two words) is just another set of symptoms of everything hypothyroid.
This is spot on. Many alternative doctors have made fortunes treating adrenal fatigue.

youngsinatra

Hi all,

Late last year, I came across Matt Stone and did his rrarf program and brought my temp from the 96s to 98. However, none of my thyroid issues resolved, other than my temp. I'm still eating well and taking in about 2800 cals a day, but my symptoms got worse. I bought ThyroGold, but haven't started it yet. I also got iodine, which I'm considering trying before starting TG. Also, the only test I''ve had done is TSH, which was 1.7.

Anyway, why would I have a stellar basal temp (97.9 per OV and 98.6 post via armpit), but horrible thyroid probs? That just seems like an oxymoron. Here's what I have going on...

Palpitations
Anemia (low MCH and MCV)
Hard weigh loss with constant stalling
Very sparse leg hair
Huge loss of head hair
Periods that used to be regular and normal are now clotty, heavy and erratic
Eyebrows thinning to almost nothing on outer third
Gum disease
Insomnia (though this seems to be helped by what I eat before bed)
Scaly, dry skin on heels that keeps growing and hands are always dry
Shriveled fingertips with vertical lines
Puffiness under eyes
Brittle, soft nails with ridges
Tendonitis in ankle with no cause
Joint aches
Night terrors that started right after my oldest was born (11 years ago)
Swollen, cracked tongue
Carpel tunnel
Low libido
Memory fog
Grouchy and easily overwhelmed
Fibrocystic breast

My diet is good. I restrict nothing (low carb gets the rate of hair loss increased 20 times). I drink raw milk, eat organic, grass fed meat and my nutrient levels are all high.

I'll add more as I remember. Any thoughts about all this are appreciated ;)
Could potentially be copper deficiency which results in iron tissue storage and a lot of oxidative stress.