Still hypo and shedding hair.... will I ever recover? Thyroid dose may still be too low?

dervmai

progress
I've been shedding due to hypothyroidism for a while now. I'm just so lost and confused. I need to get my thyroid levels optimal. I took 25mcg, it lowered my rt3 from 28 to 13. It lowered my TSH from 3.11 to 0.43. However my freet4 tanked. My freet3 went up a little but it is still in the lower 1/4 percentile. I need to get it to the upper 3/4 percentile in the range.

I think I need to fully jump in and take a full on replacement dose. I thought I could fix it without a replacement dose because I thought my hypothyroidism wasn't that bad. I think this was wrong. I ordered tyromax and will start on that protocol. I will raise it untill I can get my temps up to the recommended level.

I lowered my dose from 25mcg to 15 mcg and my temps also tanked. This morning I woke up and my temp was like 95.8 :(((((((((((((

I'm losing hair like crazy, my skin is so dry and inflamed, I have all the classic hypo symptoms. I am so confused and lost and distressed. Please I need input. Will raising my dose help me?

youngsinatra

I've been shedding due to hypothyroidism for a while now. I'm just so lost and confused. I need to get my thyroid levels optimal. I took 25mcg, it lowered my rt3 from 28 to 13. It lowered my TSH from 3.11 to 0.43. However my freet4 tanked. My freet3 went up a little but it is still in the lower 1/4 percentile. I need to get it to the upper 3/4 percentile in the range.

I think I need to fully jump in and take a full on replacement dose. I thought I could fix it without a replacement dose because I thought my hypothyroidism wasn't that bad. I think this was wrong. I ordered tyromax and will start on that protocol. I will raise it untill I can get my temps up to the recommended level.

I lowered my dose from 25mcg to 15 mcg and my temps also tanked. This morning I woke up and my temp was like 95.8 :(((((((((((((

I'm losing hair like crazy, my skin is so dry and inflamed, I have all the classic hypo symptoms. I am so confused and lost and distressed. Please I need input. Will raising my dose help me
Have you ever measured your serum cortisol (AM) now or even before starting thyroid? I would consider lowering it first (balanced blood sugar, magnesium, salt, phosphatidylserine…) and then getting on a more physiological thyroid treatment like NDT or synthetic T4/T3 in a ratio that works for you.

Taking pure T3 lacks the stability in my opinion as the endogenous T4 synthesis almost completely gets stut off by exogenous T3’s suppressive effects on TSH.

If you decide to take T3 only, I think you almost always need to take full thyroid replacement because of the suppressive effect. And you may need upwards of 50+ mcg a day.

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
Have you ever measured your serum cortisol (AM) now or even before starting thyroid? I would consider lowering it first (balanced blood sugar, magnesium, salt, phosphatidylserine…) and then getting on a more physiological thyroid treatment like NDT or synthetic T4/T3 in a ratio that works for you.

Taking pure T3 lacks the stability in my opinion as the endogenous T4 synthesis almost completely gets stut off by exogenous T3’s suppressive effects on TSH.

If you decide to take T3 only, I think you need to take full thyroid replacement because of the suppressive effect. And you may need upwards of 50+ mcg a day.
Hi, no I haven't measured serum cortisol levels. I am requesting it from my doc but he may tell me that I need to request that from my endo.

"I would consider lowering it first" lowering cortisol? or do you mean lowering thyroid.

Yes I think 25mcg wasn't doing anything and I was scared to jump to a higher dose because it would suppress my natural production. I ordered tyromax and I actually plan on getting on a t4:t3 combo. I am not sure of the ratios, but considering I had a conversion issue initally.... I had high freet4 and low freet3 and high rt3, I am a bit scared the t4 will cause my rt3 to start going back up. Is lower the t4:t3 ratio from 4:1 to something closer to like 3:1 or 2:1 the way to go at least for now? Untill my liver health improves, since I still think my liver is sh*t, I smoked weed for like 5 years as a teen, and I suspect I actually already had low thyroid function very very early in my life. I always had bad skin quality and anxiety, as well as some other hypo symptoms like brittle weak nails and constipation. I had okay skin when I was very young but ever since hitting like 12-13 I've had issues like constipation and bad skin, and nails etc.... So then smoking weed for 5 years straight completely messed me up I suspect. I am only 19 and am having so many issues.

Any tips for safely increasing dosage without negatively affecting my health and hair?? I think I may be dairy intolerant, so I need a source of calcium that doesn't include milk. I also don't think I am reacting to sugar very well, I have skin issues that seem to get worse when eating sugar. Possibly a gut dysbiosis of some sort. Which is just my luck because Ray Peat advocates sugar use for proper conversion in the liver and dairy as well. I don't really know how to work around this. I think some fruits are tolerable but I don't think I can be drinking 2 quarts of OJ and milk daily.

youngsinatra

Hi, no I haven't measured serum cortisol levels. I am requesting it from my doc but he may tell me that I need to request that from my endo.

"I would consider lowering it first" lowering cortisol? or do you mean lowering thyroid.

Yes I think 25mcg wasn't doing anything and I was scared to jump to a higher dose because it would suppress my natural production. I ordered tyromax and I actually plan on getting on a t4:t3 combo. I am not sure of the ratios, but considering I had a conversion issue initally.... I had high freet4 and low freet3 and high rt3, I am a bit scared the t4 will cause my rt3 to start going back up. Is lower the t4:t3 ratio from 4:1 to something closer to like 3:1 or 2:1 the way to go at least for now? Untill my liver health improves, since I still think my liver is sh*t, I smoked weed for like 5 years as a teen, and I suspect I actually already had low thyroid function very very early in my life. I always had bad skin quality and anxiety, as well as some other hypo symptoms like brittle weak nails and constipation. I had okay skin when I was very young but ever since hitting like 12-13 I've had issues like constipation and bad skin, and nails etc.... So then smoking weed for 5 years straight completely messed me up I suspect. I am only 19 and am having so many issues.

Any tips for safely increasing dosage without negatively affecting my health and hair?? I think I may be dairy intolerant, so I need a source of calcium that doesn't include milk. I also don't think I am reacting to sugar very well, I have skin issues that seem to get worse when eating sugar. Possibly a gut dysbiosis of some sort. Which is just my luck because Ray Peat advocates sugar use for proper conversion in the liver and dairy as well. I don't really know how to work around this. I think some fruits are tolerable but I don't think I can be drinking 2 quarts of OJ and milk daily.

The T4:T3 ratio of 3:1 or 2:1 is probably good.

But also, not all of the T4 is getting absorbed by taking it with food so that lowers the ratio a bit further. (Lowers the total T4 bioavailability from 80% to 40-60%)

Eating inflammatory foods are definitely something to watch out for with your skin and hair issues. Don’t eat something just because Ray did eat it. I’d also not eat foods that taste bad to you. Many do better on solid meals of meat, eggs, cheese, fish, oysters or shrimp with some safe starches, some fat, some tolerated veggies, salt, some fruit for dessert rather than mainly liquid meals.

If you eat foods your body is sensitive to, it will also increase cortisol and physiological stress.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals