AlphaSandwich

I have been struggling with throat tightness for about 3 months now, since March 9th. It all started the day after eating some Kitfo, injera and shiro-wot at an Ethiopian restaurant in my city. Of course, Ethiopian cuisine has lots of spices and is generally spicy food, but because this place only had municipal city tap water, I declined to have any water with my meal and as a result had no beverage with it. This was definitely a mistake (as was eating there in the first place) because the food was not high quality at all and it was spicy, not spicy enough to burn my tongue but spicy enough to the point that the heat in my mouth made me very uncomfortable without something to wash it down. I had been extremely strict with my diet before this and I never had Ethiopian food prior to this point. Everything I eat is generally very high quality and organic. Since the very next day, I have been having throat tightness, hypersensitive gag reflex and extreme depression and anxiety. At first I was thinking this could possibly be GERD/acid reflux/silent reflux or esophagitis or hiatal hernia because for about a whole month or so after eating there I had burning pain in my chest when breathing deeply, especially when waking up first thing in the morning, although that seems to have gotten a lot better. I don’t have any heartburn or silent reflux symptoms at the moment other than this issue with my throat. I saw an ENT a couple of months ago and he had a small endoscopy camera he put somewhat down my throat but I choked and told him to take it out, although he said could see some inflammation at the back of my throat. That might just be because I smoked cannabis right beforehand. I am not a regular cannabis smoker and had actually taken a break from it prior to this but I have been so down in the dumps lately that at the time I really wanted something to get my mind off of things. I have been left wondering what it was that my body reacted to, whether it was all the spices, some sort of crappy vegetable oil in the food, and/or both in addition to something that I’m not aware of. I still am not sure what is going on with me, as to whether it’s something with my esophagus, my thyroid or even just the throat itself. It feels like there is constantly a tight band around my neck, sometimes it loosens and sometimes it tightens but it’s seemingly always there, and often times when I turn my head to look all the way up it feels like it’s tugging on something in my throat. It feels very uncomfortable now if something is touching the front of my neck, and it often makes me feel like I’m going to gag when something does touch my neck. Especially when I put my finger on my suprasternal notch (the indent at the bottom of the neck), that usually makes my throat feel like it’s going to close. There is also a sort of anxious tension in the center of my chest, almost like a heaviness but not quite, that feeling has gone down a lot but is still there. I almost feel like I was poisoned, but I did not have any stomach ache or vomiting or diarrhea after eating that meal. I am still continually perplexed as to why this is happening. This is by far the hardest thing I have ever been through in my life, I have been extremely depressed and anxious, more-so than I ever have been in my life before this, and it seems like I am in a tunnel with no light at the end of it. This has greatly effected my confidence and my ability to be social and talk with others. I don’t feel like myself anymore and I lack the jubilation that I used to have. I miss how I was and how I felt before all of this. If anyone has any insight or advice, it would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you all so much.

Last edited:

Mr Joe

If you suffered hypersensitivity, gerd, anxiety, depression etc... you might have been on a state of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is known to cause loss of CO2 and excess of lactic acid, and CO2 is known to relax muscles and help with blood vessel relaxation. When you are hypo you have tendency to lose magnesium and sodium very fast which will can cause muscle spams, throat tightness, neck hardness, lack of relaxation etc... I would try first to increase magnesium and sodium, and try some bag breathing several times a day, with some emodin to calm down cortisol and inflammation and help with digestion. If things gets better it means that you have hypothyroidism and have difficilulty to stock and retain magnesium and sodium. Lihtium is also amazing. But throat tightness might be caused by some inflammation local or magnesium deficiency.

Layne

If anyone has any insight or advice, it would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you all so much.
Hi @AlphaSandwich,

Wow, quite an experience you're going through. I've had various throat problems in the past, and have discovered that massaging my throat area usually helps. Since the throat is connected to so many parts of the head, I also do a LOT of massaging around my whole head. Since you have tightness in your throat, I would be shocked if you didn't have a lot of tightness in other parts of your head. You can massage these areas with your fingers, or you can purchase some kind of massage tool.

You may also want to consider doing some acupuncture, which has an amazing ability to "de-tighten" muscles. I've had some really stubborn knots in my back that have responded extremely well to having acupuncture needles inserted directly into them. I've learned to do a few acupuncture points myself, which I refer to as "self-acupuncture". The benefits of acupuncture can then be had for almost no cost, and can be done on a regular basis as needed.

One more thing for now: I would DEFINITELY get some castor oil, (32 oz. size is better value) and start putting a light coating of it on your throat area several times a day. Castor oil has an amazing ability to drain lymph wherever it's applied, and I've heard 1/3 of the lymph drainage in our bodies is in our neck. Castor oil also has an amazing ability to harmonize the nervous system. You could also put some on your heart area, or any other area that feels tight at this time.

If you have any interest in a spiritual approach to this issue, you may wanted to check out a spiritual mantra I've used for many years now. It always helps calm me down, and helps me sort through all kind of challenges. Your comments about wanting to reclaim your jubilation made me think you just might be interested in this. -- All the Best!

Last edited:
OP
A

AlphaSandwich

If you suffered hypersensitivity, gerd, anxiety, depression etc... you might have been on a state of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is known to cause loss of CO2 and excess of lactic acid, and CO2 is known to relax muscles and help with blood vessel relaxation. When you are hypo you have tendency to lose magnesium and sodium very fast which will can cause muscle spams, throat tightness, neck hardness, lack of relaxation etc... I would try first to increase magnesium and sodium, and try some bag breathing several times a day, with some emodin to calm down cortisol and inflammation and help with digestion. If things gets better it means that you have hypothyroidism and have difficilulty to stock and retain magnesium and sodium. Lihtium is also amazing. But throat tightness might be caused by some inflammation local or magnesium deficiency.
I was thinking it may be something with the thyroid, but as far as I can tell I don’t have any visible lump on my neck. I’m gonna look into magnesium. Thank you

akgrrrl

Hi @AlphaSandwich,

Wow, quite an experience you're going through. I've had various throat problems in the past, and have discovered that massaging my throat area usually helps. Since the throat is connected to so many parts of the head, I also do a LOT of massaging around my whole head. Since you have tightness in your throat, I would be shocked if you didn't have a lot of tightness in other parts of your head. You can massage these areas with your fingers, or you can purchase some kind of massage tool.

You may also want to consider doing some acupuncture, which has an amazing ability to "de-tighten" muscles. I've had some really stubborn knots in my back that have responded extremely well to having acupuncture needles inserted directly into them. I've learned to do a few acupuncture points myself, which I refer to as "self-acupuncture". The benefits of acupuncture can then be had for almost no cost, and can be done on a regular basis as needed.

One more thing for now: I would DEFINITELY get some castor oil, (32 oz. size is better value) and start putting a light coating of it on your throat area several times a day. Castor oil has an amazing ability to drain lymph wherever it's applied, and I've heard 1/3 of the lymph drainage in our bodies is in our neck. Castor oil also has an amazing ability to harmonize the nervous system. You could also put some on your heart area, or any other area that feels tight at this time.

If you have any interest in a spiritual approach to this issue, you may wanted to check out a spiritual mantra I've used for many years now. It always helps calm me down, and helps me sort through all kind of challenges. Your comments about wanting to reclaim your jubilation made me think you just might be interested in this. -- All the Best!
I would like to add one small note to this wonderful post. The historical methodology in applying castor anywhere involves the warmth of a covering. Of the 60 types of "wool" or fur fibers, I cut up an old cashmere sweater , but even a vintage cloth baby diaper would suffice. Warmth will help drive in the properties of castor thru epidermal layers, is so relaxing and comforting.

OP
A

AlphaSandwich

Hi @AlphaSandwich,

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I’ve heard a lot of people with this condition talk about throat massages being helpful but with how uncomfortable it is to touch my neck, I don’t know how effective it would be but I’m certainly willing to give it a try. I have also read that one of the major lymphatic networks in the body is located in the neck, and I’m thinking it might definitely be that but I can’t be sure. I have thought about acupuncture and I might try it, I just need to find a legit acupuncture place, which shouldn’t be hard. That’s a great idea with the castor oil and I’m definitely gonna try applying some topically. When you had throat problems did it ever feel uncomfortable or like you were going to gag if the area around your Adam’s apple was touched? I also appreciate the spiritual mantra you sent, it sounds nice but my beliefs are very strictly Christian so I am wary of any spiritual practice that is outside of the Bible. Thank you so much again. I really appreciate it.

OP
A

AlphaSandwich

I would like to add one small note to this wonderful post. The historical methodology in applying castor anywhere involves the warmth of a covering. Of the 60 types of "wool" or fur fibers, I cut up an old cashmere sweater , but even a vintage cloth baby diaper would suffice. Warmth will help drive in the properties of castor thru epidermal layers, is so relaxing and comforting.
Thank you for this tip! I’m ordering some castor oil right now. Do you think castor oil packs would be more effective or should I just apply the oil directly to my skin and then cover it with wool?

akgrrrl

Thank you for this tip! I’m ordering some castor oil right now. Do you think castor oil packs would be more effective or should I just apply the oil directly to my skin and then cover it with wool?
Massage it in gently. Warm your wool in the oven on low or with a heating pad. Relax with an eyemask to blot out all light. Chew some Aspirin to kick down everything a notch.Sleep.

Layne

I have been having throat tightness, hypersensitive gag reflex and extreme depression and anxiety.

Hi again... I only had a limited amount of time for my first reply, but will expound a bit more in this one. To get straight to the point, from all appearances, you seem to be experiencing symptoms that indicate vagus nerve involvement. Most people have little understanding of it, so I will try to give you a brief overview.

It's often referred to as the "meandering" nerve, and is the longest and most complex of the 12 cranial nerves that exit the brainstem and go to other parts of the body. The VN runs through the TMJ, branches off to the ears, then goes down through the throat, the heart, gut, etc., branching off in various directions along the way, and eventually ending in the colon. The VN is also the body's "orchestrator" of the parasympathetic nervous system, which is the primary calming mechanism for our bodies and nervous systems. If we can't calm ourselves, then we're going to experience things like depression, anxiety, all kind of unsettledness, etc.

The VN is also associated with various "reflexes" in the body, such as peristalsis, feelings of satiation, coughing, gagging, etc. Fortunately, there are many ways to support and/or stimulate the VN (I'd suggest doing an online search on stimulating the vagus nerve). One of the best ways is to use castor oil packs. They are most often placed on the abdomen, which is where a confluence of various nerve ganglia are located, which includes the VN. Virtually everybody who's ever done a castor oil pack experiences a deep relaxation, even bordering on a profound relaxation.

I've done many castor oil packs over the years, but never did as many as I felt I should because of how somewhat difficult and messy they can be. I learned just recently however that they don't necessarily need to be heated to still be effective (which I proved to myself). One woman who promotes them says that when she put small amounts of castor oil on castor oil "wraps" and wore them all night long on her throat and abdomen, that she was able to fully recover from a prolonged chronic illness (after having tried many other things prior to this). -- Amazon carries organic castor oil wraps.

To get back to an earlier point about the vagus nerve branching off to the ears. In acupuncture, there are a LOT of points in and around the ear. One thing that can be accomplished is to stimulate the vagus nerve via the ears. In your situation, I believe just massaging your ears for several minutes on a regular basis wlll send a lot of nerve energy from "the auricular branch of the vagus nerve" directly to your throat area. (Be sure to gently work out tender areas). The more energy your throat area receives via this massaging, the more likely it is that it will be able to "right the ship" from whatever happened. What you're dealing with almost sounds like some kind of localized PTSD.

I am still continually perplexed as to why this is happening. This is by far the hardest thing I have ever been through in my life, I have been extremely depressed and anxious, more-so than I ever have been in my life before this, and it seems like I am in a tunnel with no light at the end of it.

Having gone through many difficult health issues myself, I would like to assure you that there's almost certainly a light at the end of the tunnel for you. Even the most seemingly intractible situations can be improved if we're willing to continually strive to find answers for ourselves (and be flexible in our approaches). I also feel quite certain that when you emerge on the other side of this, you will be stronger and more resilient because of how it forced you to stretch yourself in ways you might not have had to do without this catalyst. Plus you'll have new health tools at your disposal for the rest of your life.

A final couple of ideas: One way to stimulate the vagus nerve is to sing. I don't know if you can sing at this time, but if there's a favortite song or hymn that you really resonate with, then I think that could be helpful. Also, another way to stimulate the VN is to gargle. If you can gargle with saltwater, then it could not only stimulate the VN, but also might clear out any kind of residual energetic effects that are lingering in your throat area.

Anyway, lots of things for you to try. Don't despair, I feel strongly things will almost certainly improve for you. -- Take care!

Last edited:

ALS

That happened to me when I was visiting Kyoto. Some crazy guy that did not like foreigners came up and screamed at me. Idk how, but it caused my throat to tighten for months afterward.

I had undiagnosed Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid) and histamine problems I was unaware of.

Histamine can cause the throat area to tighten.

Histamine (spicy food is a culprit) can be dealt with via the gut (possible SIBO). Carrot salad and / or a charcoal capsule first thing in the am. Sugar acts as an antihistamine. Benadryl is beneficial in a lot of ways, Haidut made a case for it in an interview.

OP
A

AlphaSandwich

Hi again... I only had a limited amount of time for my first reply, but will expound a bit more in this one. To get straight to the point, from all appearances, you seem to be experiencing symptoms that indicate vagus nerve involvement. Most people have little understanding of it, so I will try to give you a brief overview.

It's often referred to as the "meandering" nerve, and is the longest and most complex of the 12 cranial nerves that exit the brainstem and go to other parts of the body. The VN runs through the TMJ, branches off to the ears, then goes down through the throat, the heart, gut, etc., branching off in various directions along the way, and eventually ending in the colon. The VN is also the body's "orchestrator" of the parasympathetic nervous system, which is the primary calming mechanism for our bodies and nervous systems. If we can't calm ourselves, then we're going to experience things like depression, anxiety, all kind of unsettledness, etc.

The VN is also associated with various "reflexes" in the body, such as peristalsis, feelings of satiation, coughing, gagging, etc. Fortunately, there are many ways to support and/or stimulate the VN (I'd suggest doing an online search on stimulating the vagus nerve). One of the best ways is to use castor oil packs. They are most often placed on the abdomen, which is where a confluence of various nerve ganglia are located, which includes the VN. Virtually everybody who's ever done a castor oil pack experiences a deep relaxation, even bordering on a profound relaxation.

I've done many castor oil packs over the years, but never did as many as I felt I should because of how somewhat difficult and messy they can be. I learned just recently however that they don't necessarily need to be heated to still be effective (which I proved to myself). One woman who promotes them says that when she put small amounts of castor oil on castor oil "wraps" and wore them all night long on her throat and abdomen, that she was able to fully recover from a prolonged chronic illness (after having tried many other things prior to this). -- Amazon carries organic castor oil wraps.

To get back to an earlier point about the vagus nerve branching off to the ears. In acupuncture, there are a LOT of points in and around the ear. One thing that can be accomplished is to stimulate the vagus nerve via the ears. In your situation, I believe just massaging your ears for several minutes on a regular basis wlll send a lot of nerve energy from "the auricular branch of the vagus nerve" directly to your throat area. (Be sure to gently work out tender areas). The more energy your throat area receives via this massaging, the more likely it is that it will be able to "right the ship" from whatever happened. What you're dealing with almost sounds like some kind of localized PTSD.

Having gone through many difficult health issues myself, I would like to assure you that there's almost certainly a light at the end of the tunnel for you. Even the most seemingly intractible situations can be improved if we're willing to continually strive to find answers for ourselves (and be flexible in our approaches). I also feel quite certain that when you emerge on the other side of this, you will be stronger and more resilient because of how it forced you to stretch yourself in ways you might not have had to do without this catalyst. Plus you'll have new health tools at your disposal for the rest of your life.

A final couple of ideas: One way to stimulate the vagus nerve is to sing. I don't know if you can sing at this time, but if there's a favortite song or hymn that you really resonate with, then I think that could be helpful. Also, another way to stimulate the VN is to gargle. If you can gargle with saltwater, then it could not only stimulate the VN, but also might clear out any kind of residual energetic effects that are lingering in your throat area.

Anyway, lots of things for you to try. Don't despair, I feel strongly things will almost certainly improve for you. -- Take care!
Layne, sorry this is such a late reply, but I just want to say thank you so much. This really helped me a lot at the time and gave me hope - and best of all my throat has greatly improved now 😃 It’s not 100% back to normal and I still get a very slight gag reflex if I touch some parts of the front of my neck, but the tightness has lessened to the point that it doesn’t really bother me that much anymore. I don’t feel like I’m choking all the time anymore! Thank God! And thank you so much again for your thoughtful and inspiring response. God bless you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals