Willing to try anything at this point - Sleep apnea/UARS, bruxism, silent reflux/laryngopharyngeal reflux

ReSTART

Ok so my sleep is horrible, tired all the time. I’ve tried a million things so post any suggestions you have, I’ll try pretty much anything at this point.

I have bruxism, I grind my teeth at night (only at night). I use a nightguard to protect my teeth but that makes my sleep even worse because it makes breathing harder (less space in mouth).

I have silent reflux/laryngopharyngeal reflux. Tl;dr explanation is pepsin (not stomach acid) goes up my throat and burns stuff. This is not GERD although it is similar, I never get heartburn. I think this has messed up my throat and larynx and stuff from the burning. My throat is often sore and inflamed feeling with a hoarse voice.

I have sleep apnea, UARS specifically. Tl;dr is UARS is like sleep apnea but instead of lots of apneas (stop breathing entirely), I get lots of arousals (mini-wake ups in sleep that disturb sleep) so my sleep is terrible. Tried every type of CPAP machine but they never really help that much.

I have a narrow palate and maybe a mildly recessed jaw (maybe, narrow palate is far worse and more obvious than any recession. Nobody has said anything about recession after looking at me, normal people or medical people).

I think these are all very interrelated.

Things I’ve tried for UARS
CPAP, BiPAP, ASV
EERS with CPAP (Enhanced expiratory rebreathing space, increases co2 rebreathing when using machine)
Antihistamines
Nasal decongestants like dymista
Nasal rinsing
Nasal strips
Positional therapy

Things I’ve tried for silent reflux
PPIs (works but don’t want to use long term)
Low acid diet
Gaviscon (works very well but doesn’t last long)

Things I’ve tried for bruxism
Destressing before bed
Massetter/jaw massage

Things I want to try for UARS
Progesterone [1]
Didgeridoo [2]
More positional therapy (on stomach)
CPAP with EERS again
I REALLY want to get MSE (palate expansion) to increase oral and nasal volume but it’s expensive and there aren’t many who do it

Things I want to try for silent reflux
Neck stretches, back stretches, silent reflux may be related to T5 and T6 nerve fibres [3]

Things I want to try for bruxism
More relaxation, more massages

[1] OBGYN ( Progesterone could exert its beneficial effects by reducing upper airway collapsibility (8), by increasing genioglossus muscle tone (9), and by its central action on CO2 receptors that stimulates respiration during wakefulness (10). Oral progesterone has been associated with slight but significant improvement in ventilatory indices during sleep in both male and female sleep apnea patients (11,12).)
[2] Didgeridoo playing as alternative treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome: randomised controlled trial - PubMed
[3] Sympathetic Nerve Entrapment Point Injection as an Antireflux Procedure for Refractory Laryngopharyngeal Reflux: A First Case Report of Innovative Autonomic Regulation

mostlylurking

Ok so my sleep is horrible, tired all the time. I’ve tried a million things so post any suggestions you have, I’ll try pretty much anything at this point.

I have bruxism, I grind my teeth at night (only at night). I use a nightguard to protect my teeth but that makes my sleep even worse because it makes breathing harder (less space in mouth).

I have silent reflux/laryngopharyngeal reflux. Tl;dr explanation is pepsin (not stomach acid) goes up my throat and burns stuff. This is not GERD although it is similar, I never get heartburn. I think this has messed up my throat and larynx and stuff from the burning. My throat is often sore and inflamed feeling with a hoarse voice.

I have sleep apnea, UARS specifically. Tl;dr is UARS is like sleep apnea but instead of lots of apneas (stop breathing entirely), I get lots of arousals (mini-wake ups in sleep that disturb sleep) so my sleep is terrible. Tried every type of CPAP machine but they never really help that much.

I have a narrow palate and maybe a mildly recessed jaw (maybe, narrow palate is far worse and more obvious than any recession. Nobody has said anything about recession after looking at me, normal people or medical people).

CPAP, BiPAP, ASV
EERS with CPAP (Enhanced expiratory rebreathing space, increases co2 rebreathing when using machine)
Antihistamines
Nasal rinsing
Nasal strips
Positional therapy

Low acid diet

Destressing before bed
Massetter/jaw massage

Progesterone [1]
Didgeridoo [2]
CPAP with EERS again
I REALLY want to get MSE (palate expansion) to increase oral and nasal volume but it’s expensive and there aren’t many who do it

Neck stretches, back stretches, silent reflux may be related to T5 and T6 nerve fibres [3]

[1] OBGYN ( Progesterone could exert its beneficial effects by reducing upper airway collapsibility (8), by increasing genioglossus muscle tone (9), and by its central action on CO2 receptors that stimulates respiration during wakefulness (10). Oral progesterone has been associated with slight but significant improvement in ventilatory indices during sleep in both male and female sleep apnea patients (11,12).)
[2] Didgeridoo playing as alternative treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome: randomised controlled trial - PubMed
[3] Sympathetic Nerve Entrapment Point Injection as an Antireflux Procedure for Refractory Laryngopharyngeal Reflux: A First Case Report of Innovative Autonomic Regulation
Have you considered getting your thyroid function tested? Sleep apnea is linked to hypothyroidism. Thyroid supplementation increases CO2.

TMJ/bruxism is also linked to hypothyroidism. Been there, done that. No longer a problem for me since I got my thyroid medication dosage "optimized".

I think investigating hypothyroidism as a possible cause to most of your problems would be worth your time.

Association of Hypothyroidism and Obstructive Sleep Apnea​

To learn about hypothyroidism, start with Ray Peat's articles; they are the best! Programmable Search Engine Modern day doctors do not know what they do not know about hypothyroidism.

Difficulty sleeping is very common in hypothyroidism too.

Last edited:
OP
R

ReSTART

I’ve gotten TSH tests before but they’ve always been normal. I’ll post the results later. I know TSH alone is pretty useless, are there any useful blood tests for hypothyroidism except for TSH and free T4?

My temperature now (9:30am) is 37.2-37.4c.

I also have low vitamin D (50-60 range) which I’ll get checked on a blood test again later. Supplementing with 30000 IU D3 per day right now.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

I’ve gotten TSH tests before but they’ve always been normal. I’ll post the results later. I know TSH alone is pretty useless, are there any useful blood tests for hypothyroidism except for TSH and free T4?

My temperature now (9:30am) is 37.2-37.4c.

I also have low vitamin D (50-60 range) which I’ll get checked on a blood test again later. Supplementing with 30000 IU D3 per day right now.
That D level is better than mine (@47 & my doctor is thrilled with the improvement). Are you supplementing vitamin A? D without A can cause insomnia.

What's "normal" TSH? Ray Peat says it needs to be below a 1 to be healthy. Mainstream Medicine has another opinion. You need to read up on hypothyroidism and the history of testing (fraud): Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud Try to also get freeT3, freeT4, reverse T3, TSH. But you need to learn how to read the results; it's tricky because the test isn't calibrated correctly. Most doctors don't understand; they aren't taught about it in medical school.

Read up on how to make a record of temperatures and pulses; it is discussed in the Ray Peat articles about thyroid. Also, go here: Ray Peat Search and search for "temperature and pulse". You can also search for "hypothyroidism". The results are all from interviews. Do not use a digital thermometer, use an old fashioned mercury & glass basal body thermometer.

Danny Roddy has a good page on thyroid: https://www.patreon.com/posts/14839477 Also get hold of the Broda Barnes book: Amazon product ASIN 069001029X Very helpful book.

Surfari

Have you tried a tongue retaining device? aka TRD's. If not, they're odd as far as it uses suction to hold your tongue out of your mouth. If you search amazon for 'anti snoring tongue' you can see what they are. You might be able to use this with your night guard. After I got used to using it ( and felt confident it wouldn't come off) I stopped using my nightguard.

There is also a nasal breathing aid that goes inside your nose from SleepRight that I prefer over strips.

You didn't mention sleeping with your upper body or head elevated - but I assume you've tried that?

OP
R

ReSTART

Temperature is 37.5c at 7pm now (ear thermometer), I’ll buy a traditional thermometer soon.

I’ll be able to get my free T3, free T4 and TSH tested but I don’t know about reverse T3, I’ve never heard of that?

I have tried sleeping elevated, it didn’t really do anything.

I haven’t tried a TRD, I’d be concerned about long-term use with teeth/jaw issues but I could give it a go.

I haven’t tried the things inside the nose, they’d probably irritate my nose too much. The external strips stick fine but don’t really do anything for me.

OP
R

ReSTART

So what is a good temperature? And what temperature indicates hypothyroidism? Oral temperature readings, that is.

mostlylurking

So what is a good temperature? And what temperature indicates hypothyroidism? Oral temperature readings, that is.
Temperature varies throughout the day. Waking temp (before getting out of bed) is important but can be confusing. If it is low (below 98 degrees) that implies hypothyroidism. If it is "normal" (around 98.6) that may mean hypothyroidism with high adrenaline. Then you eat something nutritious. Then a little while later you take the temp again. If it went up from the low waking temp, then that's a good sign (you aren't dead). It's too complicated to post it all here.

I provided links to articles in my prior post that you will find helpful.

bawild

CPAP, BiPAP, ASV
Antihistamines
Nasal rinsing
Nasal strips
Positional therapy

Low acid diet

Destressing before bed
Massetter/jaw massage

Progesterone [1]
Didgeridoo [2]
CPAP with EERS again

I share your frustration with sleep disordered breathing solutions and arousal monitoring. My current strategy is to use CPAP at the lowest possible pressure (I use nasal pillows) in combination with mouth taping and a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor + anticholinergic (oxybutynin aka Ditropan). This study from 2019 showed a nearly complete response to apnea with a combination of atomoxitine and oxybutynin. The Combination of Atomoxetine and Oxybutynin Greatly Reduces Obstructive Sleep Apnea Severity. A Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Double-Blind Crossover Trial - PubMed They showed that the upper airway dilator muscles are maintained by activation of motor neurons originating from the locus caeruleus. The theory is that during deep sleep and REM, apnea patients do not have enough norepinephrine activating these muscles and the airway collapses until the brain arouses the person with burst of adrenalin . Dr Fuad Lechin had a similar conclusion in his work.

I track my apneas using OSCAR software. OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter. It can track flow limitations and RERAs as well as hypopnea.

I now sleep 7.5 - 8 hours with virtually no apneas. The NRI I am trying at the moment is ginkgo extract. The study above used an ADHD drug called atomoxitine. My goal is to wean completely off CPAP if possible by watching what my AHI does as I adjust the gingko/Ditropan dose while I lower the CPAP pressure from 7cmH20 down to 3.

I'm not aware of a way to measure arousals. Itimar Corporation has a device (WatchPat) that uses an algorithm based on SpO2 perfusion index changes induced by the arousal adrenaline spike and it's effect on peripheral blood flow. I would be very interested if anyone has developed an open source app for this type of data analysis of SpO2 data. I'm not aware of an actively marked EEG to monitor arousals.

Regarding the reflux issue, UARS does create a pressure decrease in the upper airway which can force gastric fluid up the esophagus. Dr Steven Parks strongly encourages his patient not to eat 3 hours before bedtime.

Here are some of the things I've tried with little to no effect
- thyroid
- acetazolamide
- high dose thiamine
- yohimbine
- tongue stabilizer
- dental appliance
- lisuride

Airway problems usually start at the skeletal level from mouth breathing and bad posture. Find an Lvi doctor in your area and they should be able to help you. They basically teach holistic dental practices.

Most likely they will use the Agga appliance to remodel your maxilla forward and up. This will allow the mandible to also to come forward and facilitate the uprightening the ramus to get your jaw out of your airway at (basically making your jaw permanently/naturally act like a night appliance). An added bonus is it will naturally make you look better. A palate expander during the braces phase should also help with uars but you might want to alternatively consider getting turbinate reduction surgery for your nose to really speed things up or another appliance called MSE that Lvi doctors do not use. Someone described their nostrils being “open like a hallway” after treatment.

Last edited:

Don

Step one get nose breathing only, even when exercising. This might take a bit of practice . I tape my mouth closed at night with safe medical tape. Get the book Breath the new science of a lost art. This should help out with mouth/ face structure and breathing over time. The book is amazing please read it. Scientists taped monkeys noses shut for 2 years. All kinds of horrible stuff went on including mouth and negative face structure changes. 6 months with nose reopened they reversed.
For silent reflux. check out reflux band, you wear it at night or day if you need. It helps me a lot not a cure for me but some it is. I assume you have tried diet changes ? For me melons and bananas and blue berries seem safe. I avoid anything acid like citrus or other acid fruits. Food combing can be an issue, try eating protein alone, maybe eat your fruit well before the protein. Have your tried hcl to increase acid in the stomach ? for some the extra acid helps the sphincter get the nerve message to close up tighter. Worth a try. Also melatonin initially did help me as of now unsure, many claim it helped so much. . Buteyko breathing claims to heal reflux as it lowers stress anxiety on the nervous system. Also for the fun of it, get some books on TMS and Dr John Sarno. That is another rabbit to investigate about yourself.
A dr made a great vid on utube, get an empty nasal spay bottle. Fill it with water made from 1litre of akaline water mixed with 2tsp baking soda. after meals and through the day spray this in mouth as you breath in and in nostrils. This should help deactivate the pepsin.
Disclaimer: i suffer silent reflux, I have just discovered breathing for treating it myslef and I too have to avoid many peaty foods, initially hcl did wonders for me but stess and anxiety have brought it back.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Inclined bed therapy may help with acid reflux, I have my bed tilted (6" raisers below the bed posts at the head end):

I bought 6" metal raisers, similar to these:

OP
R

ReSTART

Temperature varies throughout the day. Waking temp (before getting out of bed) is important but can be confusing. If it is low (below 98 degrees) that implies hypothyroidism. If it is "normal" (around 98.6) that may mean hypothyroidism with high adrenaline. Then you eat something nutritious. Then a little while later you take the temp again. If it went up from the low waking temp, then that's a good sign (you aren't dead). It's too complicated to post it all here.

I provided links to articles in my prior post that you will find helpful.
Thanks, woke up at 37.7c today and went to 37.4c after eating.
I share your frustration with sleep disordered breathing solutions and arousal monitoring. My current strategy is to use CPAP at the lowest possible pressure (I use nasal pillows) in combination with mouth taping and a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor + anticholinergic (oxybutynin aka Ditropan). This study from 2019 showed a nearly complete response to apnea with a combination of atomoxitine and oxybutynin. The Combination of Atomoxetine and Oxybutynin Greatly Reduces Obstructive Sleep Apnea Severity. A Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Double-Blind Crossover Trial - PubMed They showed that the upper airway dilator muscles are maintained by activation of motor neurons originating from the locus caeruleus. The theory is that during deep sleep and REM, apnea patients do not have enough norepinephrine activating these muscles and the airway collapses until the brain arouses the person with burst of adrenalin . Dr Fuad Lechin had a similar conclusion in his work.

I track my apneas using OSCAR software. OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter. It can track flow limitations and RERAs as well as hypopnea.

I now sleep 7.5 - 8 hours with virtually no apneas. The NRI I am trying at the moment is ginkgo extract. The study above used an ADHD drug called atomoxitine. My goal is to wean completely off CPAP if possible by watching what my AHI does as I adjust the gingko/Ditropan dose while I lower the CPAP pressure from 7cmH20 down to 3.

I'm not aware of a way to measure arousals. Itimar Corporation has a device (WatchPat) that uses an algorithm based on SpO2 perfusion index changes induced by the arousal adrenaline spike and it's effect on peripheral blood flow. I would be very interested if anyone has developed an open source app for this type of data analysis of SpO2 data. I'm not aware of an actively marked EEG to monitor arousals.

Regarding the reflux issue, UARS does create a pressure decrease in the upper airway which can force gastric fluid up the esophagus. Dr Steven Parks strongly encourages his patient not to eat 3 hours before bedtime.

Here are some of the things I've tried with little to no effect
- thyroid
- acetazolamide
- high dose thiamine
- yohimbine
- tongue stabilizer
- dental appliance
- lisuride
Atomoxetine is an interesting drug, my doctor would probably prescribe it if I asked. I doubt he would prescribe oxybutynin though.
I also tried acetazolamide, I noticed no difference.
I want to try progesterone, see if that helps.
Airway problems usually start at the skeletal level from mouth breathing and bad posture. Find an Lvi doctor in your area and they should be able to help you. They basically teach holistic dental practices.

Most likely they will use the Agga appliance to remodel your maxilla forward and up. This will allow the mandible to also to come forward and facilitate the uprightening the ramus to get your jaw out of your airway at (basically making your jaw permanently/naturally act like a night appliance). An added bonus is it will naturally make you look better. A palate expander during the braces phase should also help with uars but you might want to alternatively consider getting turbinate reduction surgery for your nose to really speed things up or another appliance called MSE that Lvi doctors do not use. Someone described their nostrils being “open like a hallway” after treatment.
I absolutely want to get MSE eventually. I wouldn’t use AGGA, because like all tooth-borne palate expanders, they cause less structural changes (of bone and palate) and more tooth movement.
Step one get nose breathing only, even when exercising. This might take a bit of practice . I tape my mouth closed at night with safe medical tape. Get the book Breath the new science of a lost art. This should help out with mouth/ face structure and breathing over time. The book is amazing please read it. Scientists taped monkeys noses shut for 2 years. All kinds of horrible stuff went on including mouth and negative face structure changes. 6 months with nose reopened they reversed.
For silent reflux. check out reflux band, you wear it at night or day if you need. It helps me a lot not a cure for me but some it is. I assume you have tried diet changes ? For me melons and bananas and blue berries seem safe. I avoid anything acid like citrus or other acid fruits. Food combing can be an issue, try eating protein alone, maybe eat your fruit well before the protein. Have your tried hcl to increase acid in the stomach ? for some the extra acid helps the sphincter get the nerve message to close up tighter. Worth a try. Also melatonin initially did help me as of now unsure, many claim it helped so much. . Buteyko breathing claims to heal reflux as it lowers stress anxiety on the nervous system. Also for the fun of it, get some books on TMS and Dr John Sarno. That is another rabbit to investigate about yourself.
A dr made a great vid on utube, get an empty nasal spay bottle. Fill it with water made from 1litre of akaline water mixed with 2tsp baking soda. after meals and through the day spray this in mouth as you breath in and in nostrils. This should help deactivate the pepsin.
Disclaimer: i suffer silent reflux, I have just discovered breathing for treating it myslef and I too have to avoid many peaty foods, initially hcl did wonders for me but stess and anxiety have brought it back.
I nose breathe 99% of the day and tape my mouth at night. I haven’t seen that reflux band, it looks interesting. I’ve tried diet changes but they don’t help much, beyond removing the most irritating foods.

I haven’t tried actually increasing acid like drinking apple cider vinegar, maybe I should try that.
Inclined bed therapy may help with acid reflux, I have my bed tilted (6" raisers below the bed posts at the head end):

I bought 6" metal raisers, similar to these:

I tried incline before and it didn’t really help, I should try it again.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
One more thing from my own observations. If I eat a carbohydrate-rich meal in the evening, this may cause me to have too much stomach acid. Eating a small meal in the evening may also help with the acid reflux. Then the way the stomach is oriented, sleeping on your left side (and raised) will move digesting food stuff away from the esophagus. See the diagram on the Inclined Bed Therapy website.

mostlylurking

Thanks, woke up at 37.7c today and went to 37.4c after eating.
That equals 99.8 degrees fahrenheit upon waking, then 99.32 after eating?Are you sick? Do you have an infection? Is the thermometer an old fashioned one or a newer digital one?

RealNeat

this might sound simple but have you tried diffusing essential oils? if you have and felt some benefit I would encourage you to try diffusing these (Dynamic Essentials PEAK BPF® AIR+) during sleep. I worked with and for Dr. Adiel Tel Oren who formulated them and I felt great benefit from them.

OP
R

ReSTART

That equals 99.8 degrees fahrenheit upon waking, then 99.32 after eating?Are you sick? Do you have an infection? Is the thermometer an old fashioned one or a newer digital one?
It’s a digital ear thermometer. I don’t know if I’m sick, been very stressful for me in life lately and have been very tired/low energy. Not eating well.

mostlylurking

It’s a digital ear thermometer. I don’t know if I’m sick, been very stressful for me in life lately and have been very tired/low energy. Not eating well.
It's been my personal experience that digital thermometers don't work. I tried 5 of them one day because I couldn't get my temperature above 97.8 and I've been taking the same optimized dose of desiccated thyroid for 6 years. I contacted the thyroid med manufacturer to see if there had been a recall on my medication. While waiting for them to respond, I found my 50 year old antique mercury thermometer and took my temp again; magically I had recovered to 98.6. When I told the thyroid medication representative about my experience with the digital thermometers he responded that yes, it is a well known problem that digital thermometers don't work.

Get yourself a basal body glass and mercury thermometer. You can't tell what your actual temperature is without it. Walmart sells them online, this one is Centigrade, not Fahrenheit. here: Meterk Glass Thermometer Triangular Mercury Thermometer Clear Scale for Armpit Oral Use - Walmart.com This type of thermometer has gotten really hard to find; the Powers that Be have declared them to be dangerous and appear to be phasing them out. We are allowed to have mercury light bulbs but not mercury thermometers. We're doomed.

Here's a link to some supposedly "accurate" basal body digital thermometers: Top 10 Best Basal Thermometers in 2021 Reviews - Best10Pro They look just like my collection of digital thermometers that don't work.

link to how to use a glass mercury thermometer: https://kidzdoc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/temperature-taking-glass-thermometer.pdf (download)

:

mostlylurking

If you are tired with low energy and not eating well, it makes sense to me, at least, that the elevated temperature (assuming the digital thermometer works) is being caused by stress hormones (adrenaline) and/or an infection.

OP
R

ReSTART

It's been my personal experience that digital thermometers don't work. I tried 5 of them one day because I couldn't get my temperature above 97.8 and I've been taking the same optimized dose of desiccated thyroid for 6 years. I contacted the thyroid med manufacturer to see if there had been a recall on my medication. While waiting for them to respond, I found my 50 year old antique mercury thermometer and took my temp again; magically I had recovered to 98.6. When I told the thyroid medication representative about my experience with the digital thermometers he responded that yes, it is a well known problem that digital thermometers don't work.

Get yourself a basal body glass and mercury thermometer. You can't tell what your actual temperature is without it. Walmart sells them online, this one is Centigrade, not Fahrenheit. here: Meterk Glass Thermometer Triangular Mercury Thermometer Clear Scale for Armpit Oral Use - Walmart.com This type of thermometer has gotten really hard to find; the Powers that Be have declared them to be dangerous and appear to be phasing them out. We are allowed to have mercury light bulbs but not mercury thermometers. We're doomed.

Here's a link to some supposedly "accurate" basal body digital thermometers: Top 10 Best Basal Thermometers in 2021 Reviews - Best10Pro They look just like my collection of digital thermometers that don't work.

link to how to use a glass mercury thermometer: https://kidzdoc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/temperature-taking-glass-thermometer.pdf (download)

:
I did some testing this morning and it was giving me anything from 36.7c to 37.3c so I ordered an old style basal thermometer today. I’m in Australia so they’re even harder to find here lol. I found a medical supplier that sells them so hopefully it’s accurate.
If you are tired with low energy and not eating well, it makes sense to me, at least, that the elevated temperature (assuming the digital thermometer works) is being caused by stress hormones (adrenaline) and/or an infection.
Yea I think I do have an infection actually, I’ll post more later. With temperature, despite my ear thermometer temperature being normal to high, people have been saying my hands feel cold...

Back
Top Bottom