Throat Pain In Hypothyroidism?

Xisca

Are they signs of thyroid problem?
Any way I have done some new labs for thyroid, after 2 years...
But I start to think that I have pain due to thyroid.
Here are the signs:
- Soreness in my throat, on the 2 sides of the apple, more or less also where i can feel the arterial pulse.
- And some chronic sore throat inside, I mean this is lower than amigdalitis.
- And also I relate it to the fact that I am not good at swallowing and can also be bothered here.
- Stress makes me feel a pain in the throat, more acutely, as a needle crossing the throat.
- I am sensitive as if somebody could harm me there.

And I have met a friend who has a starting hashimoto who has the same sensations! Actually we were only speaking about gluten-free diet, then I asked her if she had thought about being hypothyroid; and she told me she just leqrned she was!
I have also done anyway the antibody search for hashimoto too.

marsaday

This is a very common problem. The thyroid gland will enlarge as it tries to put out more hormone. The gland is failing to make enough hormone and so this is a possible way it will react. Low iodine can also cause the same thing to happen.

This causes pressure to build, issues with swallowing etc.

Definitely get your bloods checked.

Waynish

The only time I get thyroid discomfort is when I take: t3, t4, a mix of t3 & t4, NDT, selenium, or iodine. Can't really tell which creates more discomfort...

OP
Xisca

Xisca

So, I was misled by my mother's scar, and everybodys', as it is much lower!
Do they do the surgery from BELOW the gland?

This is a very common problem. The thyroid gland will enlarge as it tries to put out more hormone. The gland is failing to make enough hormone and so this is a possible way it will react. Low iodine can also cause the same thing to happen.
This causes pressure to build, issues with swallowing etc.
Definitely get your bloods checked.
Results were on the good high range 2 years ago, let's see how it will be this year, and how I can have the signs and not the related results!
The signs I mention now are not from now, I just was used to them....
And misled by the location.

The only time I get thyroid discomfort is when I take: t3, t4, a mix of t3 & t4, NDT, selenium, or iodine. Can't really tell which creates more discomfort...
How do you explain you have the disconfort when you do not lack the hormone but when you take it?

I have some ionic iode, I take some drops from time to time, also have the ionic Mg, which attracts me more clearly. I had the test also of levels of some minerals including Mg, iode, zinc and copper.

Waynish

How do you explain you have the disconfort when you do not lack the hormone but when you take it?

I have some ionic iode, I take some drops from time to time, also have the ionic Mg, which attracts me more clearly. I had the test also of levels of some minerals including Mg, iode, zinc and copper.

I don't know... I would like to be able to. I've been taking magnesium and zinc as well - but haven't tried copper.
The symptoms match much more closely for me with hyperthyroidism than hypothyroidism. I did test 2.1 TSH, though (have not tested antibodies or total t3/t4 - though I probably should because I'm celiac with Hashimoto symptoms if I eat gluten).

OP
Xisca

Xisca

The symptoms match much more closely for me with hyperthyroidism
Which symptoms?

I am not celiac but very careful to not eat gluten. casein until now seems fine for me.

Waynish

I took a list of "hyperthyroid symptoms" and deleted the ones I don't have:
  • Weight loss
  • Nervousness, anxiety or irritability
  • Increased perspiration
  • Changes in bowel patterns
  • An enlarged thyroid gland (called a goiter), which can appear as a swelling at the base of the neck
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle weakness
  • Increased appetite

OP
Xisca

Xisca

I leave the ones I have:
I took a list of "hyperthyroid symptoms" and deleted the ones I don't have:
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle weakness
I do not loose weight at the moment, appetite is not big, I sweat when hot and humid, but have always been a low sweater, some nervousness but better now, and no anxiety, and bowels stay fast, uppergut bacterias....

But hashi symptoms are on the hypo range aren't they?

If you are hyper, I understand why taking T3 or T4 might upset your throat....

Waynish

I don't really lose weight either... But I eat a lot! And I work out and maintain muscle mass. I don't know if I'm hyper... In fact, I still don't understand hypo/thyper diagnoses - and I'm not so sure they're as "root cause" conditions as often implied here. I'd like to see some larger sample size studies showing, for example, that .1 TSH people are much more often healthier than 1.0 and 2.0 TSH people.

Waynish

I notice that the lower the inflammation in my small intestine (or spleen/pancreas, I can't tell), the less sensation I have in the thyroid area. This is separate from my above observation about the sensation caused by those various supplements.

OP
Xisca

Xisca

I am still a mistery, I have my labs and they are totally fine for thyroid....
The only thing if you look at details is that T4 is higher with respect to T3, and that my T3 has been higher 8 years ago.
Possible conclusion, I start to have a sluggish liver who should transform more T4 into T3...
But tomorrow I rush to buy D3! This I have too low!
After winter supp and spring sun.... incredible.

OP
Xisca

Xisca

could be strep throat
I have had strepto detected before, let's say years ago...
It was S. B hemolytic, agalactiae, alpha hemolytic, and some aphrophilus.

If it can become chronic, then your guess is very possible!
But can it also explain the "nearly pain" that is not in the throat, but in my muscles, on the sides of the trachea?

I am also allergic to acarians and molds. And I have what I think histamine reaction in throat and gums, especially with sugar including fruits and fruit juice, only in the morning if I eat before drinking water.
My eosinophiles are over the normal range, thus indicating allergy or parasites. I had just decided to start a parasite protocole, as I have worked with animals in pedagogic farm. It was helpful before.

marsaday

People with hashimotoes should not be using iodine.

Iodine will inflame the antibody production and so set the thyroid off. There are lots of videos on tube talking about iodine and thyroid.

aliciahere

OP what you are describing, this pain near your thyroid, describes perfectly what I experienced a couple of years ago. I went to a naturopath a couple of times as I was desperate over my health, and the one thing she told me is that my lymph nodes in my throats were unusually close to my trachea, practically touching it. So anytime they were filtering debris and junk away from my thyroid (or any other inflammation), they became swollen and caused this pain.

For me the pain flared up during my gluten challenge where I discovered I was celiac. I had been diagnosed hypothyroid about 10 years prior to that. After my celiac diagnosis, I had the hashimotos antibodies tested and they were through the roof! Took a long time for the pain to go away.

Every once in a while the pain comes back and I assume that I'm having an autoimmune flare, and that my thyroid levels are low. I'll usually bump up my thyroid meds for a couple of days and it goes away.

Edit: even though your thyroid test was fine, what were the numbers and did they test antibodies? Also, how do you know you aren't celiac? Have you been tested? I would also recommend talking to somebody about the muscles in your throat as it can mimic this pain. A good chiropractor or physiotherapist :)

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals