Willing to try anything at this point - Sleep apnea/UARS, bruxism, silent reflux/laryngopharyngeal reflux

mostlylurking

I did some testing this morning and it was giving me anything from 36.7c to 37.3c so I ordered an old style basal thermometer today. I’m in Australia so they’re even harder to find here lol. I found a medical supplier that sells them so hopefully it’s accurate.

Yea I think I do have an infection actually, I’ll post more later. With temperature, despite my ear thermometer temperature being normal to high, people have been saying my hands feel cold...
Do a search for "fever with cold hands". Read through, see if anything fits. This may simply be some elevated stress hormones. A good thermometer will be very helpful.

OP
R

ReSTART

Could have an infection, it’s inconclusive. But here are the thyroid results, I found the paperwork.

TSH
2015 - 2.0
2018 - 1.0
2019 - 2.3
2021 - 1.3

Free T4
2019 - 12.3

That’s everything I have. I’ll push for getting a TSH, free T3 and free T4 test at my next appointment. Are there any other tests for thyroid I should get?

My temperature now with ear thermometer is 37.9c, I’ve been going around shopping and stuff, a lot of walking which is probably why it’s high. However I asked people if my hands were cold and they said they were lukewarm (not hot and not cold)... despite the high temperature...

Nomane Euger

Whats your diet?

Nomane Euger

Complicated, I’ll talk about it more later.

What do people think of the thyroid results?
your diet is crucial so we can formulate some hypotesis on what cause or could help your problem

OP
R

ReSTART

I know but it’s really variable, some day it’s good, lots of fruit, some vegetables, very low PUFA, some days it’s not good. I don’t have a set diet right now.

When it is good, I do notice some difference with sleep but not a massive amount.

P

Peatness

Ok so my sleep is horrible, tired all the time. I’ve tried a million things so post any suggestions you have, I’ll try pretty much anything at this point.

I have bruxism, I grind my teeth at night (only at night). I use a nightguard to protect my teeth but that makes my sleep even worse because it makes breathing harder (less space in mouth).

I have silent reflux/laryngopharyngeal reflux. Tl;dr explanation is pepsin (not stomach acid) goes up my throat and burns stuff. This is not GERD although it is similar, I never get heartburn. I think this has messed up my throat and larynx and stuff from the burning. My throat is often sore and inflamed feeling with a hoarse voice.

I have sleep apnea, UARS specifically. Tl;dr is UARS is like sleep apnea but instead of lots of apneas (stop breathing entirely), I get lots of arousals (mini-wake ups in sleep that disturb sleep) so my sleep is terrible. Tried every type of CPAP machine but they never really help that much.

I have a narrow palate and maybe a mildly recessed jaw (maybe, narrow palate is far worse and more obvious than any recession. Nobody has said anything about recession after looking at me, normal people or medical people).

I think these are all very interrelated.

Things I’ve tried for UARS
CPAP, BiPAP, ASV
EERS with CPAP (Enhanced expiratory rebreathing space, increases co2 rebreathing when using machine)
Antihistamines
Nasal decongestants like dymista
Nasal rinsing
Nasal strips
Positional therapy

Things I’ve tried for silent reflux
PPIs (works but don’t want to use long term)
Low acid diet
Gaviscon (works very well but doesn’t last long)

Things I’ve tried for bruxism
Destressing before bed
Massetter/jaw massage

Things I want to try for UARS
Progesterone [1]
Didgeridoo [2]
More positional therapy (on stomach)
CPAP with EERS again
I REALLY want to get MSE (palate expansion) to increase oral and nasal volume but it’s expensive and there aren’t many who do it

Things I want to try for silent reflux
Neck stretches, back stretches, silent reflux may be related to T5 and T6 nerve fibres [3]

Things I want to try for bruxism
More relaxation, more massages

[1] OBGYN ( Progesterone could exert its beneficial effects by reducing upper airway collapsibility (8), by increasing genioglossus muscle tone (9), and by its central action on CO2 receptors that stimulates respiration during wakefulness (10). Oral progesterone has been associated with slight but significant improvement in ventilatory indices during sleep in both male and female sleep apnea patients (11,12).)
[2] Didgeridoo playing as alternative treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome: randomised controlled trial - PubMed
[3] Sympathetic Nerve Entrapment Point Injection as an Antireflux Procedure for Refractory Laryngopharyngeal Reflux: A First Case Report of Innovative Autonomic Regulation

I had bruxism some years ago, before Peating, and research at that time revealed calcium/magnesium and vitamin b5 deficiencies could be the cause.​

Dr Peat was asked about this in one of his interviews and he suggested it is due to serotonin​

Ray Peat on grinding teeth and restless leg syndrome.​

Nomane Euger

I know but it’s really variable, some day it’s good, lots of fruit, some vegetables, very low PUFA, some days it’s not good. I don’t have a set diet right now.

When it is good, I do notice some difference with sleep but not a massive amount.
do you eat meat organ meat?

retroactive

I think much of what you are describing related to elevated serotonin. There are a few things I would try. Lowering your muscle meat intake - inreasing gelatin/collagen and dairy - this is to decrease tryptophan production. Also, later in the day it would be worthwhile to eat only easily digested foodos (cooked fruit, juice, milk, ice cream, broth). Another thing to try is a serotonin antagonist like cyproheptadine.

Taurine could also be worth trying as I believe it helps increase bile acid production

OP
R

ReSTART

I had bruxism some years ago, before Peating, and research at that time revealed calcium/magnesium and vitamin b5 deficiencies could be the cause.​

Dr Peat was asked about this in one of his interviews and he suggested it is due to serotonin​

Ray Peat on grinding teeth and restless leg syndrome.​

b5 huh interesting. I get enough calcium (at least 1000mg) but probably not enough magnesium
do you eat meat organ meat?
No
I think much of what you are describing related to elevated serotonin. There are a few things I would try. Lowering your muscle meat intake - inreasing gelatin/collagen and dairy - this is to decrease tryptophan production. Also, later in the day it would be worthwhile to eat only easily digested foodos (cooked fruit, juice, milk, ice cream, broth). Another thing to try is a serotonin antagonist like cyproheptadine.

Taurine could also be worth trying as I believe it helps increase bile acid production
Agree with the easily digested food in the afternoon lol. I take taurine sometimes, it does help falling asleep. You think the extra bile acid helps with digestion?

OP
R

ReSTART

Slept nine hours and tired today.

Temperature is 37.7c (ear thermometer) at mid-day, hands are cool.

Last edited:
OP
R

ReSTART

Still no cure. LPR still very annoying.

Chewing food thoroughly and regulating fluid intake helps a little.

Gaviscon of course helps but only lasts 1-2 hours. I wonder if the calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate in the gaviscon actually doesn’t help it’s sodium alginate doing all the work. I’ll try Apple acid vinegar sometime.

OP
R

ReSTART

I think I need to breathe smoother, I tend to “hold my breath”... especially when I feel stressed. I doubt that helps with the LPR and esophageal sphincter.

OP
R

ReSTART

I haven’t been feeling good lately and I checked my temperature today, only 36.1/36.2c!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom