What Can One Do About A Hiatal Hernia?

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

I wanted to update here and say that I no longer deal with this particular problem very frequently. I think changes to how I was breathing helped (not anxiously breathing or forcing the breath in or out, but breathing lightly from the abdomen at the point you feel the need to take a gentle breath). Light yoga breathing exercises might solve this problem for many people over time, but it took some months to dissipate.

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

@Ashoka Good for you. Have you been able to de stress other parts of your life too.

I've been trying. I see a counselor, I've been taking cypro, and I'm trying to get my health better with a doctor. But I'm still in a situation where I'm confused with what's going on with me and what I should do, and that is a stressful situation. How are you doing?

InChristAlone

Glad you don't have the HH anymore, yeah tight chest can keep it from healing and relaxed breathing can definitely help. I have also found cypro useful, I try not to take it every night though because I can end up kinda depressed are you on it everyday?

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

Thanks, I am on it every day. I probably take 6mg at this point. I'm not quite sure what it does anymore, but it seemed to be really helpful in the beginning.

CoconutEffect

bump

Pregnenolone?

Ray "I think the connective tissue can correct itself when stress is kept low; pregnenolone improves the tone of connective tissue"

@haidut - would Stressnon be helpful here as well? and how many drops? I find encapsulating pregnenolone powder to be very annoying.

haidut

Forum Supporter
bump

Pregnenolone?

Ray "I think the connective tissue can correct itself when stress is kept low; pregnenolone improves the tone of connective tissue"

@haidut - would Stressnon be helpful here as well? and how many drops? I find encapsulating pregnenolone powder to be very annoying.

Sure, I don't see why not. I think androsterone may also help with connective tissue strength especially when combined with pregnenolone.

Dave Clark

I know this will sound like BS, but I was having the HH problem a few years ago and saw a video about filling your stomach with water and bouncing on a rebounder for a few minutes/day until the symptoms subside. Of course, at the time I was willing to try anything to get this thing down. To my surprise, it did just that. I haven't had any severe HH issues since, if there is anything there, it is not noticeable. Funny twist of fate was, I gave this rebounder to someone previous to that, thinking rebounding in general just wasn't for me. A few days before I saw this video, the person brought it back to me and said they didn't like it and wanted me to take it back. I was considering tossing it, then tried this out, now it stays with me in case a HH issue rears its ugly head. The concept is, by jumping up and down with the stomach full, the force of the downward cycle pulls the esophagus down and away from the diaphram where the hernia is constricted. If you have a rebounder, or can borrow one, or get one cheap, it may be worth a try.

It's good to know that with better metabolism and diet it can settle. Really good to know, thanks guys. I've seen a few people say that already, but hearing it here is different. I will check out the books by Robert Becker at some point; it's something I've wanted to read but didn't know that was covered. The distinction between chiropractor and osteopath is explained by Josh Rubin in the video and was the first time I encountered that distinction by view of the osteopath's training.

I'm still a little confused knowing how to proceed with food. Although familiar with Peat and feeling better eating that way, I don't know how to approach this from a Peat perspective, and don't even know where to begin eliminating foods or adding new things in. Often I don't know what to eat, because suddenly out of nowhere this thing causes intense acid reflux and indigestion. The indigestion is bad enough that when it appears suddenly, I can't eat for the rest of the day. As soon as I discovered I had this, I realized how devastating it could be if not treated, because it's the type of thing thing that will ruin digestion lower in the tract over time through eating and also starve you at the same time. I've read a few times that most people with chronic illness have hiatal hernia (obviously that statistic is anecdotal from some people who practice alternative medicine). It's basically the fast lane to hypothyroidism.

One thing I will do is start eating smaller meals. It's something EastWest mentions in the video as actually helping. Also not eating before bed. Doing both of those things together is going to make me hungry though, at a time when I'm already eating well under requirements. I'm also underweight: 6 ft, weighing ~125 lbs.

Parsifal and Such_, if you care to reply again, any idea what a better diet might look like in this situation? Or even, what worked for you?

Lastly I asked a well known chiropractor/YouTube personality what he thought about the situation:
Thanks, I am on it every day. I probably take 6mg at this point. I'm not quite sure what it does anymore, but it seemed to be really helpful in the beginning.
What’s the latest on you HH? Has it returned?

BearWithMe

I know this will sound like BS, but I was having the HH problem a few years ago and saw a video about filling your stomach with water and bouncing on a rebounder for a few minutes/day until the symptoms subside. Of course, at the time I was willing to try anything to get this thing down. To my surprise, it did just that. I haven't had any severe HH issues since, if there is anything there, it is not noticeable. Funny twist of fate was, I gave this rebounder to someone previous to that, thinking rebounding in general just wasn't for me. A few days before I saw this video, the person brought it back to me and said they didn't like it and wanted me to take it back. I was considering tossing it, then tried this out, now it stays with me in case a HH issue rears its ugly head. The concept is, by jumping up and down with the stomach full, the force of the downward cycle pulls the esophagus down and away from the diaphram where the hernia is constricted. If you have a rebounder, or can borrow one, or get one cheap, it may be worth a try.
How do you prevent the esophagus from slipping up through the diaphram again? If it slipped once, there must be connective tissue missing

Dave Clark

How do you prevent the esophagus from slipping up through the diaphram again? If it slipped once, there must be connective tissue missing
Maybe just doing a bunch of things that help with muscle tone, relaxation techniques, and digestive help. Since then, I have improved my thyroid function, and that may be helping to prevent the problem from returning. Things like copper deficiency is related to hernias, as well as a lot of other metabolic and nutrient related issues. I would say, since I don't have a direct answer, is to keep doing all things that improve energy and metabolic function and stimulate repair, plus making sure that you are replete with all the macro and micro nutrients that are talked about here on the forum. Sometimes there is no individual or singular cure, but one of crossing off all the things that we need to function optimally.

Maybe just doing a bunch of things that help with muscle tone, relaxation techniques, and digestive help. Since then, I have improved my thyroid function, and that may be helping to prevent the problem from returning. Things like copper deficiency is related to hernias, as well as a lot of other metabolic and nutrient related issues. I would say, since I don't have a direct answer, is to keep doing all things that improve energy and metabolic function and stimulate repair, plus making sure that you are replete with all the macro and micro nutrients that are talked about here on the forum. Sometimes there is no individual or singular cure, but one of crossing off all the things that we need to function optimally.
Was there any HH self manipulation techniques that worked well for you? Really trying to get mine to come down

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals