What is the magic of beef liver that can’t be replicated?

I'm.No.One

Just to share some cooking tips as a liver lover 😂

People ALWAYS over cook their liver turning it into metallic tasting mush!

Flash cook it with some ghee, no more than 30/40 secs on each side in a very hot pan.

Over cooking makes it taste way more like minerals & makes is pasty.

If you do want to cook it all the way still cook it FAST. It does really well cut into strips, breaded, & fried like steak fingers. This seems to firm it up but not cook so long that it has that mineral taste.

Also fresh thyme goes amazing with liver, waaaaay better than onions IMHO. I typically add a sprig or two to the ghee as it's heating up in the pan.

Salt, salt really balance the flavor of the minerals. A really high quality flakey salt is my favorite.

A few years back now I almost bled to death slowly & liver absolutely saved my life, the Drs were shocked.

Inaut

Obviously liver is jam packed with nutrients but one person I listened to online speculated the most potent substance(in his opinion) in it was actually taurine and found in high amounts....

cs3000

1 other thing worth mentioning, could be the high cholesterol content + vit A if u are typically low on pregnenolone. ray peat says vitamin A is involved with pregnenolone synthesis from cholesterol they're connected Relationship between Cholesterol and Vitamin a Metabolism in Rats Fed at Different Levels of Vitamin A Liver vitamin A and free cholesterol were found to be positively correlated (P < 0.01)
as plasma A goes up cholesterol goes up & vice versa Vitamin A in hypercholesterolemia - PubMed

idk how much pregnenolone you'd synthesise from 300mg-400mg of cholesterol but easy test would be trying low dose pregnenolone instead of the liver for a week to see if it's this (positive effects stay). there's a study which showed 3 egg yolks ~500mg cholesterol improved lean muscle mass gain compared to group on same amount of protein without the egg yolks. so it has effects around this amount

Last edited:

Quelsatron

By the sound of it you have multiple deficiencies and I think eating liver for as long as you're enjoying it will correct them. When your stores of whatever was missing will be replenished, your body will tell you and liver will seem disgusting.

I think taking vitamins and minerals separately from food is not that efficient because there may be stuff in food that aids in their absorption and usage. That's just a thought though, I don't know if there are any studies on it.
The idea of cravings/taste being informative is incredibly overrated here and does in fact not work. I ate enough liver that more retinol/carrots gives me major anxiety/depression, but it still tastes great. If taste was such a good guide, nobody would ever be deficient/overloaded with anything.

cs3000

David PS

Obviously liver is jam packed with nutrients but one person I listened to online speculated the most potent substance(in his opinion) in it was actually taurine and found in high amounts....
I am open to that possibility. The taurine content of foods is not listed in Cronometer or other sites that rely on the the US government data. Scallops have the highest source of taurine but they are very expensive. There is at least one other thread related to taurine.

OP
B

BobbyJackson

I am open to that possibility. The taurine content of foods is not listed in Cronometer or other sites that rely on the the US government data. Scallops have the highest source of taurine but they are very expensive. There is at least one other thread related to taurine.
That’s interesting. I know some people who are hooked on energy drink. I always thought it was the caffeine they’re getting from it but maybe it’s the taurine.

Serge

The way I eat liver is by making a paste out of it, which does not have that strong taste and is rather good actually. It is easy: quickly fry 300 grams of liver in coconut oil/butter, stew a carrot and an onion until cooked, add salt and whatever spices, and blend the whole thing probably adding more coconut oil or butter. It can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for weeks.

xborg

Being so adverse to the taste of liver, I take it as freeze dried, raw powder in two ways: mixed with tomato juice and lemon and chugged if I'm feeling brave, or mixing it in 30-40ml of water in a parenteral syringe and injected as a rectal infusion at bedtime. Taking it rectally, purely to avoid the taste, had a surprising prostate boosting effect in a couple of days: heightened sensitivity, stronger and longer lasting ejaculation with a more powerful orgasm.

OP
B

BobbyJackson

Being so adverse to the taste of liver, I take it as freeze dried, raw powder in two ways: mixed with tomato juice and lemon and chugged if I'm feeling brave, or mixing it in 30-40ml of water in a parenteral syringe and injected as a rectal infusion at bedtime. Taking it rectally, purely to avoid the taste, had a surprising prostate boosting effect in a couple of days: heightened sensitivity, stronger and longer lasting ejaculation with a more powerful orgasm.
Jesus man, stuffing beef liver up your arse to avoid the flavor. I’ve heard it all now.

It ain’t that bad!

golder

Why not just take capsules 🤔?

xborg

Why not just take capsules 🤔?
Significantly cheaper to buy bulk powder, especially when on a program of several ounces of raw liver daily. I did fill my own capsules for a while but that's time consuming. This is way quicker, easier and cheaper.

Motorneuron

glyphophospholipids...

It seems that from the pig's brain they get the drug cerebrolysin

cs3000

Jesus man, stuffing beef liver up your arse to avoid the flavor. I’ve heard it all now.

It ain’t that bad!
eating food with your arse instead of your mouth is the healthier way

OP
B

BobbyJackson

So I got some more ideas on this.

When I moved to the US, I didn't have much supplies and didn't order much. So while I was in Whole Foods I just got a general organ based supplement. After taking it for a while I started to notice that my shortness of breath issue was less annoying and some other issues diminished a bit. Not totally though, just a noticeable decrease that plateaued. I wondered what was going on there. So I looked into the ingredients and one of them was one I had not taken before, adrenal glandular extract. I had taken adrenal cortex before but it didn't have this effect. So I didn't really believe it would make a difference. But then I got a pure adrenal glandular supplement and it actually continued with the same decrease. Nothing spectacular, but certainly very noticeable. Since I have been taking that daily, I really have not felt a significant shortness of breath discomfort at all. I wouldn't say it's perfect but it's an obvious improvement. So I think that has helped narrow down an area of where something is malfunctioning.

I'm starting to wonder if this could be in relation to Cushing's disease and maybe I have an undiagnosed growth there. So taking adrenal glandular helps to regulate the gland a bit. How does this tie into beef liver? Well, the high dose Vitamin A has been shown to work against Cushing's disease, could that have been the "magic" that was coming from eating liver, especially raw where the Vitamin A content will be heavily preserved as opposed to cooking as I believe it is quite a heat sensitive vitamin. Could this also be why I felt like I benefited at least a little bit in the past from fish oil? Although I stopped taking it due to the PUFA content.

I tested the lisuride on my rat with similar problems to see if it would help and he seemed to get very deep into sleep, also having very vivid dreams. Waking up feeling very tired, but not because he didn't sleep well, it felt more like he really needs the sleep.

So with that in mind I'm curious about going the route of trying cypro, as it has been shown as a solid treatment for Cushing's, maybe an active retinol supplement and maybe milk thistle since that seems to have been shown to be very effective against it. But there have been some concerns raised on the forum about estrogenic activity from milk thistle. I also know that Haidut has stated in the past that Emodin might be very effective for Cushing's.