Peat Eating And Weight Gain

OP
N

narouz

"Fine If You Get 30% Fructose/Lactose"

Great information--Peat communication with Cliff McCrary--I wanted re-post here in this thread because obviously pertinent:

cliff said:
Seems to me like peat thinks potatoes are fine in any quantity if tolerated. He has said roots/tubers are second best to fruit. I've emailed him on the starch issue and he said its fine if you get 30% fructose/lactose.

Regarding milk with added vitamins based on my experience it should be avoided at all cost imo

OP
N

narouz

Andrew Kim said:
I've had success with increasing the percentage of fruit.

What kind of success, Andrew?
Weight loss, I guess?
Before you increased the percentage of fruit,
what were you eating in its place?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Andrew Kim, welcome to the forum! It's great to see you posting! :welcome

I am finding the same thing, the more fruit I eat, it seems the leaner I get. I am eating a ton of fruit right now. I also cut way back on the starches. Potatoes are on the menu a couple times a week now at most. So its mostly fruit and cheese for me , with some fish/shell fish, and liver mixed in, and that seems to be the ticket for me. :2cents :rockout

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Home made ricotta cheese, I am eating about a gallons worth(however much a gallon makes) a day. Here is the recipe:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=258&p=947#p947

I was listening to a radio show with Dr. Peat and he said calcium boosts the metabolism extremely well. He said someone who wanted to lose weight should do milk, cheese, fruit and shellfish if I remember correctly. He said meat and fish lower the metabolism. So, I figured I need all the help I can get with my metabolism so I am fazing out meat and fish for the time being. I will prolly do fish a couple times a week, and liver 1 time a week, and grass fed beef maybe 2 times a week.

For fruit I am doing fresh orange juice, and a lot of watermelon right now since its been in season. Also slipping in a honeydew melon and cantaloupe in between. I do not count calories anymore, I eat till satisfied.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh yeh, and I am drinking 2 cups of coffee a day, 1 mexican coke, and a couple tablespoons of coconut oil.

bradley

The leanest I've ever been was when i was on the 80/10/10 diet and getting 90+% of my calories from fruit. I always laugh when i hear "fruit makes you fat".

Evelynqa

Charley, do you seriously eat a gallon of cheese every day ? :shock: :D I was totally in love with 80-10-10 ,but I've experienced skin issues and brain fog(vit. A,b-12 and zinc deficiencies) On the other hand after introducing 2% MILK into my diet I've gained 8 kilos :( ...maybe I'll try with cheese

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I eat whatever a gallon makes in cheese. I eat cheese for every meal at this time. Minus the cream that I skim off the top which is usually around 2-3 cups, so its not truly a gallon I guess.

Cheese is my main protein source right now because I cannot handle milk.

J

j.

Charlie said:
I eat whatever a gallon makes in cheese. I eat cheese for every meal at this time. Minus the cream that I skim off the top which is usually around 2-3 cups, so its not truly a gallon I guess.

I think Peat said that for an adult, cheese has a better amino acids profile than milk.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
Charlie said:

I think Peat said that for an adult, cheese has a better amino acids profile than milk.

Nice!! I am on the right track then. :dancenanner

OP
N

narouz

Charlie said:

Charlie, I think Evelynqa may be confused, as I was initially:
you're talking about making your own cheese, right?
So you start with a gallon of milk,
but that yields way way less than a gallon of milk.

You know, it would be nice to know how much cheese a gallon of milk yields,
if you ever get in a measuring mood. :)

And have you seen this--from Peat about milk vs cheese?

Mary Shomon: You've mentioned eggs, milk and gelatin as good for the thyroid. Can you explain a bit more about this?

Dr. Ray Peat: Milk contains a small amount of thyroid and progesterone, but it also contains a good balance of amino acids. For adults, the amino acid balance of cheese might be even better, since the whey portion of milk contains more tryptophan than the curd, and tryptophan excess is significantly antagonistic to thyroid function.

If Peat uses as a basic starting point the suggestion of 1/2 a gallon of milk per day,
I've been wondering how to figure out an equivalent amount for cheese....

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
Charlie said:

Charlie, I think Evelynqa may be confused, as I was initially:
you're talking about making your own cheese, right?
So you start with a gallon of milk,
but that yields way way less than a gallon of milk.

You know, it would be nice to know how much cheese a gallon of milk yields,
if you ever get in a measuring mood. :)

And have you seen this--from Peat about milk vs cheese?

Mary Shomon: You've mentioned eggs, milk and gelatin as good for the thyroid. Can you explain a bit more about this?

Dr. Ray Peat: Milk contains a small amount of thyroid and progesterone, but it also contains a good balance of amino acids. For adults, the amino acid balance of cheese might be even better, since the whey portion of milk contains more tryptophan than the curd, and tryptophan excess is significantly antagonistic to thyroid function.

If Peat uses as a basic starting point the suggestion of 1/2 a gallon of milk per day,
I've been wondering how to figure out an equivalent amount for cheese....

Yes, I do make my own cheese from a gallon of milk and it definitely is not a gallon of cheese when you are done. I got a digital scale so when I make it again I will get a measurement on it.

I had read that before, but forgot about it. So its great you guys brought it back to my attention. Cheese is where its at then for me and I am going to stick with it. My body doesnt want red meat anymore, I feel my body trying to keep me away from it. I kinda find myself having to force it down lately.

J

j.

Charlie, wouldn't completely replacing milk with cheese increase the consumption of sodium too much? Although I guess one could restrict salt consumption from other sources if one eats a lot of cheese.

If the sodium doesn't make you feel weird, my guess would be that there's no problem.

J

j.

Charlie said:
My body doesnt want red meat anymore, I feel my body trying to keep me away from it. I kinda find myself having to force it down lately.

I feel my body doesn't want muscle meats anymore (or maybe my mind because I follow Peat?) . Liver, tongue once a week I can still do.

OP
N

narouz

My body doesnt want red meat anymore, I feel my body trying to keep me away from it. I kinda find myself having to force it down lately.

Charlie, do you take gelatin or do bone broth?
There's a smart, Peat-oriented therapist called Zachariah
who sometimes comments over on Danny Roddy's site.
He says, I think, that the desire for meat often subsides
with the intake of a lot of gelatin....

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
Charlie, wouldn't completely replacing milk with cheese increase the consumption of sodium too much? Although I guess one could restrict salt consumption from other sources if one eats a lot of cheese.

If the sodium doesn't make you feel weird, my guess would be that there's no problem.

Peat would seem to be very PRO salt,
saying (as I recall) that it boosts metabolism
and holds down aldosterone
(which is a stressful hormone).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:

I take a 1/4 tsp of salt with every meal, plus salt my stuff like usual. Plus, backing soda, I am up to 1 tsp a day of that. And, I think I could stand to use a little more salt. :lol: If I remember correctly Peat said you could take up to 20,000 mg day if needed(in context, meaning if severely hypothyroid and dumping a lot of salt). I am nowhere near that I dont think.

j. said:
Charlie said:

I feel my body doesn't want muscle meats anymore (or maybe my mind because I follow Peat?) . Liver, tongue once a week I can still do.

I feel the same way, this only started recently.

narouz said:

Charlie, do you take gelatin or do bone broth?
There's a smart, Peat-oriented therapist called Zachariah
who sometimes comments over on Danny Roddy's site.
He says, I think, that the desire for meat often subsides
with the intake of a lot of gelatin....

Yes, I do, both. And I have turned up the broth and trying to have some 3 times day with my meal. So I reckon that Zachariah could be right. Wonder if this is not good though?
narouz said:
j. said:

Peat would seem to be very PRO salt,
saying (as I recall) that it boosts metabolism
and holds down aldosterone
(which is a stressful hormone).

Yep, that's why I push my salt. It works, period.

Andrew Kim

Thank you Charlie! Sounds good... that's pretty much my diet. I think I eat approximately 70% fruit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals