I Am New To Dr. Peat Diet- Afraid To Gain Weight

ilpmusic

Hello
I discovered Dr Ray Peat's research because I read articles on gelatin. I have been taking gelatin for 3 weeks for fatigue, insomnia and hopefully to lose 15 pounds. It is helping for curbing my appetite and fatigue.Is the Dr Ray Peat diet more for health issues and not for weight loss? I have been reading all those horror stories how people gain weight when they are "eating the Peat way". I am freaked out~
I gained 15/20 pounds the last 3 years due to insomnia(get up and eat at 2 AM) , stress, physical therapy ( so I could not work out) and horrible work environments. I found an awesome job last year, love my career again but the weight is not coming off. I started working out 5 days a week again in February.
Is it better to take care of the health issue over using some fad diet that will help me shed the weight but still have health issues? I have had issues with insomnia since 2004 and Rozerem is no longer working for me.
What are some things you advise -to do or not do- to avoid the weight gain on the Dr Peat diet?
Or is it the old fashion- count your calories, portion control and increase exercise?
thanks!

There is no strict Peat diet but there's a basic template.

-adequate protein, around 80 grams
-adequate carbohydrate (more than protein)
-an emphasis on saturated over unsaturated fats, but not too much
-obtaining more calcium than phosphate
-supplemental foods/activities for harder-to-get nutrients

I have been reading all those horror stories how people gain weight when they are "eating the Peat way". I am freaked out~

imo that's because they overeat cream (dairy fat) from cheese, non-skim milk, butter, ice cream and creamed coffee.

"You can get fat on butter"

Last edited:

Richiebogie

I eat about 3000 Calories a Day mainly fresh fruit, dried fruit, seafood, chicken, black coffee with sugar, dark chocolate, and some beer or gin and tonic and I am slowly losing weight.

I swim 1.8km every second day and walk about 6km a day.

I got a big tummy when I was eating 75g of dark chocolate every day. I have cut back to under 20g a day.

I only eat about 80g protein a day. I weigh 75kg and am 6'3.

Last edited:
OP
I

ilpmusic

imo that's because they overeat cream (dairy fat) from cheese, non-skim milk, butter, ice cream and creamed coffee.

THANK YOU!

OP
I

ilpmusic

I eat about 3000 Calories a Day mainly fresh fruit, dried fruit, seafood, chicken, black coffee with sugar, dark chocolate, and some beer or gin and tonic and I am slowly losing weight.

I swim 1.8km every second day and walk about 6km a day.

I got a big tummy when I was eating 75g of dark chocolate every day. I have cut back to under 20g a day.
That is good to know some people eat some chicken. I have not eaten beef for over 15 years.

walker_in_aus

Hi ilpmusic,

I had severe insomnia over the last two years, had to take months off work at some points, started suffering memory loss, was in a despair. I started peating 6 months ago and I have gained about 20 pounds. I have also gained great energy, positive attitude, my figure is changing from heavy pear to hourglass (BOOBS), and my skin texture has majorly changed. I have also had my fingernails start growing and my cystic acne go, plus my teeth have had retreating plaque. There were of course supplements but they are basically just adding to the diet.

I wouldn't trade it in for a skinny body. That said I'm not majorly overweight, and I wasn't when I started. However the good news is I am now starting to change to muscle and my measurements are reducing despite my weight remaining the same. Basically in a healthy balanced hormonal state your body will become stronger and more muscular. I am treating it with love and I when I have better health markers perhaps I will try to lose some body fat with low low fat dieting (highly rated by the peat community) and then very small reductions in calories + walking.

This is not a fad diet, this is a way to get away from fads and to give your body what it needs. You can be skinny as you want but you might be doing more and more damage to your metabolism so maintaining the thinness will become harder and harder as you get older.

Keep in mind you will only gain more weight the more sleep deprived you are. have some icecream before bed, and look up the blog "**** portion control", there is an AMAZING article on insomnia that turned my life around.

Good luck, and do your own research!

walker_in_aus

* the forum blocks out naughty words but the blog I'm talking about is good, the first work is a four letter word meaning sex that starts with f... :)

B

Braveheart

regarding the calcium and phosphorous...I find my phos. often a few hundred mg higher than calcium even eating peatish...does Ca absolutely have to be higher every time? My ratio over the week ends up about 1 to1.

L

lollipop

Hi ilpmusic,

I had severe insomnia over the last two years, had to take months off work at some points, started suffering memory loss, was in a despair. I started peating 6 months ago and I have gained about 20 pounds. I have also gained great energy, positive attitude, my figure is changing from heavy pear to hourglass (BOOBS), and my skin texture has majorly changed. I have also had my fingernails start growing and my cystic acne go, plus my teeth have had retreating plaque. There were of course supplements but they are basically just adding to the diet.

I wouldn't trade it in for a skinny body. That said I'm not majorly overweight, and I wasn't when I started. However the good news is I am now starting to change to muscle and my measurements are reducing despite my weight remaining the same. Basically in a healthy balanced hormonal state your body will become stronger and more muscular. I am treating it with love and I when I have better health markers perhaps I will try to lose some body fat with low low fat dieting (highly rated by the peat community) and then very small reductions in calories + walking.

This is not a fad diet, this is a way to get away from fads and to give your body what it needs. You can be skinny as you want but you might be doing more and more damage to your metabolism so maintaining the thinness will become harder and harder as you get older.

Keep in mind you will only gain more weight the more sleep deprived you are. have some icecream before bed, and look up the blog "**** portion control", there is an AMAZING article on insomnia that turned my life around.

Nice balanced perspective you have @walker_in_aus and I agree. I was reading this great short blog last night called obesity panacea that sometimes not enough fat rather than too much correlates with metabolic problems of obesity.

http://scienceblogs.com/obesitypanacea/2010/03/19/not-enough-rather-than-too-muc/

Actually @James IV wanted to tag you on this because you have mentioned something similar. From the article:

"Currently, the emerging theory of why obesity is associated with metabolic disease risk suggests that it is not the excess amount of fat that results in problems – but rather, it is the inability of the fat tissue (specifically subcutaneous) to expand enough via the development of numerous, healthy adipocytes or fat cells to store all the excess calories being ingested (more details on that here)."

Last edited by a moderator:

ivy

@ilpmusic, I'm a fairly new member of the forum, but I'll share some thoughts.

Reducing stress and improving diet seem to be key. Working out might be counterproductive if it causes additional stress (if you have a tight schedule/meet heavy traffic on your way to the gym, if the workout is unsuitable, if you don't allow yourself enough recovery to time, etc). Give this some thought and consider whether training 3 times a week might not be better. On rest days, a good walk that helps you sweat without depleting your muscles is probably beneficial. One of the best alternatives to a fast-paced gym class is walking to a supermarket and carrying my groceries by hand, 2kgs on each side, some 20 minutes uphill :)

Try and foster a peaceful atmosphere at your place, especially in your bedroom. Noise, temperature and light all influence the quality of your sleep. If you're a very sensitive person, heck, even the texture of the sheets and sleepwear might come in the way of restorative sleep! Ask yourself, is there anything I could change around here?

As for food, keep it simple. Make the best available options, but don't beat yourself up if you need a slice of cake. Also, don't beat yourself up if you can't stomach some of Peat's suggested foods - I know I'm utterly unable to eat organ meats... Red meat, gelatin, eggs, milk/Greek yogurt, cheese (organic is obviously preferable) are good sources of protein and fat; non-starchy fruits are great at providing sugar and carbs - I find oranges, mangoes and watermelon the most satisfying and inexpensive; raw carrot, well-cooked greens and mushrooms provide safe fiber; and the best fats are coconut oil, raw or cooked, and raw olive oil. If cutting on breads/flours proves very hard for you, potatoes might help prevent cravings. I wonder if having a baked potato before going to bed might help you sleep through the night... Last but not least, monitor your coffee intake and drinking schedule. You might be having too much or at the wrong time.

Good luck and welcome!

J

James IV

Nice balanced perspective you have @walker_in_aus and I agree. I was reading this great short blog last night called obesity panacea that sometimes not enough fat rather than too much correlates with metabolic problems of obesity.

http://scienceblogs.com/obesitypanacea/2010/03/19/not-enough-rather-than-too-muc/

Actually @James IV wanted to tag you on this because you have mentioned something similar. From the article:

"Currently, the emerging theory of why obesity is associated with metabolic disease risk suggests that it is not the excess amount of fat that results in problems – but rather, it is the inability of the fat tissue (specifically subcutaneous) to expand enough via the development of numerous, healthy adipocytes or fat cells to store all the excess calories being ingested (more details on that here)."

Yes. I agree with this. It appears most folks don't run into serious metabolic problems until they reach their maximum fat mass potential. Basically you don't have problems until the tanks are topped off. Why some folks have much larger tanks than others, I don't know.
I personally ran into serious metabolic issues at a bodyfat percentage that would be considered average. However, I have been lean my whole life. I think there is something to Gladwell's and others "set-point" theory in concerns to bodyfat.

OP
I

ilpmusic

Hi ilpmusic,

That is interesting that your body turned into hourglass shape? Were you using gelatin? Yes that insomnia article from the other site was amazing! Thank you!

OP
I

ilpmusic

@ilpmusic, I'm a fairly new member of the forum, but I'll share some thoughts.

Reducing stress and improving diet seem to be key. Working out might be counterproductive if it causes additional stress (if you have a tight schedule/meet heavy traffic on your way to the gym, if the workout is unsuitable, if you don't allow yourself enough recovery to time, etc). Give this some thought and consider whether training 3 times a week might not be better. On rest days, a good walk that helps you sweat without depleting your muscles is probably beneficial. One of the best alternatives to a fast-paced gym class is walking to a supermarket and carrying my groceries by hand, 2kgs on each side, some 20 minutes uphill :)

Try and foster a peaceful atmosphere at your place, especially in your bedroom. Noise, temperature and light all influence the quality of your sleep. If you're a very sensitive person, heck, even the texture of the sheets and sleepwear might come in the way of restorative sleep! Ask yourself, is there anything I could change around here?

As for food, keep it simple. Make the best available options, but don't beat yourself up if you need a slice of cake. Also, don't beat yourself up if you can't stomach some of Peat's suggested foods - I know I'm utterly unable to eat organ meats... Red meat, gelatin, eggs, milk/Greek yogurt, cheese (organic is obviously preferable) are good sources of protein and fat; non-starchy fruits are great at providing sugar and carbs - I find oranges, mangoes and watermelon the most satisfying and inexpensive; raw carrot, well-cooked greens and mushrooms provide safe fiber; and the best fats are coconut oil, raw or cooked, and raw olive oil. If cutting on breads/flours proves very hard for you, potatoes might help prevent cravings. I wonder if having a baked potato before going to bed might help you sleep through the night... Last but not least, monitor your coffee intake and drinking schedule. You might be having too much or at the wrong time.

Good luck and welcome!
You are right-the key is reducing stress. I will give the baked potato a try. Thank you!

walker_in_aus

That is interesting that your body turned into hourglass shape? Were you using gelatin? Yes that insomnia article from the other site was amazing! Thank you!

It is a great article, it probably saved my life. Read the rest of them too he makes it make sense after hours of scrolling through the many study discussions on this forum.

My body shape has changed in that I was always stick thin in the upper body with a flat belly and a huge bum and thighs (CELLULITE ALERT). Now the weight I have gained has gone evenly over my body (never happened before) and I have gone up about 1.5 time in the bra size as well, and my skin is firming up significantly. I also have a small belly now which I've never had. I give it a cuddle and a pat every now and again because it represents how physically energetic and happy I am. I feel "sexier" and also my libido has improved and whilst my partner has named my new tummy, it's with affection and he is happy I am happy and super attracted to him again.

Generally I feel a lot stronger and fitter too, I don't get tired doing the gardening and I feel a lot of joy from using my body, rather then fighting will all my will just to get from my car to my front door after work every day (I sit at work so not exactly hard labour). I am getting married in 5 months and I'd like a bit more fat loss and lean muscle gain but I'm sure as hell not going to be hitting the gym. I'm taking up dance lessons to use my spare energy and just making sure I walk 3 to 4 times a week and get to a yoga class.

Yes I have been adding a teaspoon to a tablespoon of gelatin to my daily diet (in juice, soup, coffee, fruit jellies). My partner is braver than me and cooks me liver or kidney once or twice a month as well. Other than that my diet is omelettes with fried onions and peppers and cheese, chocolate milkshakes, and meat and 3 veg dinners with with jelly lollies, chocolate, cheese and fruits as snacks and the occasional gluten free bagel with soup. I need more protein so I'm working on that.

Horse Radish was a game changer for me sleep wise in the last week so that's my top tip right now. Don't get overwhelmed and don't worry. Just follow basic template of peaty foods but don't eat anything you don't want, like or crave just because it's Peat Forum Approved, and start getting in some of the haidut recommended supplements. Pregnenolone, Progesterone, Vit A D E K and all the Bs. You will feel much better.

OP
I

ilpmusic

I bought my vitamin e, grass fed cheese & butter and bought the ice cream-blue bunny premium vanilla bean-simple ingredients and way more affordable than Haagen dazs. I cut out nut products . I discovered in 2004 when the insomnia started, I was doing intense physical therapy and was told to increase protein by adding alot of nuts/peanut butter. Prior to that, I was not eating nuts because it is not good for singing and not good for weight loss.
I made GF steel cut oat flour and use butter for this cookie recipe; see link below.

With the cookie and ice cream (and lots of prayer), I skipped the gelatin in warm milk and honey and went to sleep. I woke up one time and quickly back to sleep. I finally slept 9 hrs. I literally have not slept like that in years!

what is the role of aspirin?

thanks for everyone's input!
Best EVER healthy chocolate chip cookies - Chelsea's Messy Apron

OP
I

ilpmusic

It is a great article, it probably saved my life. Read the rest of them too he makes it make sense after hours of scrolling through the many study discussions on this forum.

My body shape has changed in that I was always stick thin in the upper body with a flat belly and a huge bum and thighs (CELLULITE ALERT). Now the weight I have gained has gone evenly over my body (never happened before) and I have gone up about 1.5 time in the bra size as well, and my skin is firming up significantly. I also have a small belly now which I've never had. I give it a cuddle and a pat every now and again because it represents how physically energetic and happy I am. I feel "sexier" and also my libido has improved and whilst my partner has named my new tummy, it's with affection and he is happy I am happy and super attracted to him again.

Generally I feel a lot stronger and fitter too, I don't get tired doing the gardening and I feel a lot of joy from using my body, rather then fighting will all my will just to get from my car to my front door after work every day (I sit at work so not exactly hard labour). I am getting married in 5 months and I'd like a bit more fat loss and lean muscle gain but I'm sure as hell not going to be hitting the gym. I'm taking up dance lessons to use my spare energy and just making sure I walk 3 to 4 times a week and get to a yoga class.

Yes I have been adding a teaspoon to a tablespoon of gelatin to my daily diet (in juice, soup, coffee, fruit jellies). My partner is braver than me and cooks me liver or kidney once or twice a month as well. Other than that my diet is omelettes with fried onions and peppers and cheese, chocolate milkshakes, and meat and 3 veg dinners with with jelly lollies, chocolate, cheese and fruits as snacks and the occasional gluten free bagel with soup. I need more protein so I'm working on that.

Horse Radish was a game changer for me sleep wise in the last week so that's my top tip right now. Don't get overwhelmed and don't worry. Just follow basic template of peaty foods but don't eat anything you don't want, like or crave just because it's Peat Forum Approved, and start getting in some of the haidut recommended supplements. Pregnenolone, Progesterone, Vit A D E K and all the Bs. You will feel much better.
How does Pregnenolone, Progesterone help? I noticed, like your experience, my skin is super firm on the arms and thighs. My bra cups are now overflowing-no complaints on that ~
The belly is still a problem .but since today I finished teaching, I am sure the less stress/more sleep plus more exercising will help that.

walker_in_aus

There is a great thread called weight loss tips by brokenman on this forum, its less about "weight loss" but more about how the start fixing yourself and eventually find the easiest and least damaging way to lose fat mass and gain lean mass. It's a pretty good guide which takes the best knowledge from the forum and turns it into a step by step?

Pregnenolone and Progesterone, best to read all the threads dedicated to these + ray peat;s actual articles on them. They are the "safest" hormones to use to rebalance from estrogen/serotonin dominance but there are always risks.... Preg is the master hormone that all the others are made of so having extra from that can mean some systems aren't shut down in a chronic stress situation. It can, it seems for some people, all be converted into the stress hormones though. Not an expert in the area.