WEIGHT LOSS Is Achieved By AMINO ACID Ratios

natedawggh

Congratulations to me, I have lost 20 lbs on a Ray Peat diet, finally! And to you nice people who suggested I might have been at a weight that was healthy for me, thank you for saying so but I have definitely been very overweight, at a 42 pant size instead of my normal 34 or 36 pant size (I"m now at 38!)

First I will say that I have completely stopped drinking (I had to go to Alcoholics Anonymous to do this). There is no way a person can lose weight or regain health while even having the occasional drink, because alcohol is so highly estrogenic.

That being said...I did not lose weight immediately and in fact realized that I had only started losing weight in correlation with a few large meals of shrimp. You can read that thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6167&p=73117&hilit=shrimp#p73117
I have since continued to maintain a protein balance that favors shrimp, and have continued to lose weight, and I do notice plateaus if I stop. This study pointed out by Gli;tch.e:
Gl;itch.e said:
Interesting observation.
This study suggests that the higher potential glycine and taurine in shellfish is possibly helping
http://www.ergo-log.com/best-high-prote ... ycine.html
Prompted me to purchase taurine and glycine. I have been taking both with every protein food I ingest: Milk, chicken, potatoes, as well as shrimp. I don't notice so much help from the free glycine, but I definitely feel different when using Taurine (and indeed it is the only amino acid shown to reduce water retention in cellular uptake, which is essentially what stimulates fat storage). I haven't noticed that I can eat whatever I want, however, and include Taurine. Protein is best assimilated whole and not individual amino acids, and so the shrimp is probably the best source I have been eating, but I have noticed an assisted effect by the supplementary Taurine. One of the main effects is the feeling that my fatty/bloated liver and lower intestinal inflammation has been subsiding quickly, and I've been experiencing a feeling of lightness in my lower abdomen that has been missing for some years.

I also found SOME weight loss in the past when I put a tremendous effort into mixing Gelatin with every protein food I took, though that was very tedious and it did not achieve the results I've had with Taurine, but it does seem for me to confirm that a balance favoring healthy Amino Acids leads to healthy weight loss and a balance in the unhealthy ones tends to increase unhealthy weight gain. And just so no one misunderstands, this does NOT mean I have had to restrict my diet to shrimp, but I have instead ADDED a great deal of shrimp already to the protein I ingest from a diet high in dairy, potatoes, and chicken (and fruit, natural soda, and orange juice). I also consume a great deal of butter to keep up my saturated fat ratio (though experiments with fat balance or no fat in the past did nothing to alleviate my weight problems). In the past I made a great deal of bone stocks and while they were very gelatinous, I didn't experience any weight benefits so I'm not sure why that would be case except that maybe the balance wasn't great enough in the direction of taurine.

So having strategies to ensure that the balance of Amino Acids from protein sources greatly favors Glycine, Taurine, Proline, lysine, (especially Taurine!) over the ones that dominate muscle meats seems to be the key to losing weight. If anyone has any other ideas besides eating loads of shrimp (because I know I'mg going to get tired of them!) I'd love to hear it!

Peata

Congrats, that's great news. Thanks for letting us know what you've done. Were you also watching calorie intake?

Jennifer

Natedawggh, glad you found what works for you. That's awesome! :)

I just wanted to mention scallops as another option. They're high in glycine. I was eating them every other day cooked in a garlic butter sauce. Very tasty!

dd99

That's great. When you took supplemental taurine, what was the dosage? Did you find it had sedative effects?

Peata

I have some taurine and glycine but haven't really experimented. Gelatin, I can't seem to take too much as it bothers my intestines for some reason.

For about a month, I was craving seafood and would eat shrimp and cod almost daily for lunch. I was getting 120+ g. protein daily. I did not lose weight from the seafood, however. I guess my calories were not low enough.

lindsay

What brands of Taurine and glycine are you using? I have found that additional protein has definitely been beneficial, but seafood and hard cheeses are the only proteins I want to eat consistently. I just digest shellfish and fish so much better than meats. For the past few months I've been eating a lot of sushi, as well as shrimp, cod, and fish soups. I just discovered a delicious fish stock at Wholefoods and it's really cheap. It's unfortunate that some good quality seafood can be so pricey, but it's definitely worth the money.

Congrats on your quitting alcohol! That is a huge feat. I love my wine too much to ever give it up, but have found that I handle it well if I get enough protein and take my progesterone. Everything in moderation is my motto. But I completely understand that some people just need to do without and are better off for it.

Congratulations on your weight loss and improved health! I definitely think that RP's protein emphasis has it's foundations, but for so many, it's really hard to find that balance. I've also found that shrimps and seafoods are what I feel best on and it's been really good to know there is a protein source I can count on, along with some dairy. Also, for what it's worth, taking Ox Bile has really helped me with digestion proteins.

But still, I'm curious about the brand of Taurine/Glycine you are using. The man who wrote the article for Matt Stone's site has a product I was thinking about trying, but it's probably cheaper to buy my own.

Thanks for the info. and best wishes in your continual efforts!!

Dean

Congrats on your success.

Since you are relying so heavily on shrimp, I am curious as to how much you are eating daily, on average. Also wondering if you are eating farmed or wild? The wild is so expensive; yet I've read so much negative stuff about the standards of foreign shrimp farming. I also have ethical, ecological, and nutritional (anti-thyroid) concerns with soy, which makes up the bulk of any farmed shrimps' diet. If you are consuming significant amounts of farmed shrimp and still lost that weight, I guess it could prove my nutritional concerns, at least, to be overblown.

Gl;itch.e

Yeah great stuff nate!

Do you use Coconut Oil at present? I would try swapping butter out for coconut oil (as much as palatable/possible gram for gram) and see if that helps with more fat loss. I think butter is more easily stored whereas coconut oil is used quick and boosts metabolism more.

Sheila

Congratulations natedawggh what an interesting, and satisfying, result.

I seem to recall The Big Peatowski also lost weight on shrimp during one period of experimentation, it was in her 'fill me up' mix which unfortunately I can not now find in her log or would link to it. I don't think she fingered the shrimp directly in weight loss, this was a no starch, low fat expt IIRC. Whatever she was up to, that woman is an inspiration!

Sheila

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Peata said:
I have some taurine and glycine but haven't really experimented. Gelatin, I can't seem to take too much as it bothers my intestines for some reason.

For about a month, I was craving seafood and would eat shrimp and cod almost daily for lunch. I was getting 120+ g. protein daily. I did not lose weight from the seafood, however. I guess my calories were not low enough.

The chart in this article shows that fish increased fat content the most, while scallops decreased it the most, so if you were having fish too you could have been undoing any benefit the shellfish might have had. http://180degreehealth.com/amino-acids- ... -syndrome/

ADDENDUM: I started dissolving my free glycine in HOT water before taking it and that has suddenly had fantastic benefits, almost like a drug, opening my sinuses and clearing up my vision. I think when taking it with cold beverages it wasnt dissolving and perhaps not absorbing once in my body?

Using NOW brands.
I am not at all calorie counting, and even on days when I ate a lot I still lost weight.
I do prefer coconut oil, but on a budget and butter is cheaper...will get some more soon.
I average about lb of shrimp every three days, so it's not a lot though some days I prosbbly have a full lb. I just buy farmed, I think the health benefits if the protien type outweigh any toxins from farming. I have not included any fish in this and in fact I don't think fish can be considered to have the same benefits at all.

moss

natedawggh well done and such great achievements!

I agree with you about prawns/shrimps... I try to have them a couple of times a week if possible and always feel satisfied and light and not weighed down as I sometimes feel with gelatinous meats. They are so versatile to cook with and my preferred protein source during the Summer/Spring/Autumn months.
Whilst I don't take gylcine (yet) that makes sense dissolving it HOT water. I do this with Gelatine powder as I think it makes for easier absorption.

Peata

natedawggh said:
Peata said:

The chart in this article shows that fish increased fat content the most, while scallops decreased it the most, so if you were having fish too you could have been undoing any benefit the shellfish might have had. http://180degreehealth.com/amino-acids- ... -syndrome/

ADDENDUM: I started dissolving my free glycine in HOT water before taking it and that has suddenly had fantastic benefits, almost like a drug, opening my sinuses and clearing up my vision. I think when taking it with cold beverages it wasnt dissolving and perhaps not absorbing once in my body?

Using NOW brands.
I am not at all calorie counting, and even on days when I ate a lot I still lost weight.
I do prefer coconut oil, but on a budget and butter is cheaper...will get some more soon.
I average about lb of shrimp every three days, so it's not a lot though some days I prosbbly have a full lb. I just buy farmed, I think the health benefits if the protien type outweigh any toxins from farming. I have not included any fish in this and in fact I don't think fish can be considered to have the same benefits at all.

I'm pretty sure the cod is fat free or close to it, and I cook it in water or broth. But I checked back through my records and I was wrong about the length of time I ate shrimp. The cod I had been eating for a month, but the shrimp only for the first two weeks of that time. I will start eating it again today. And maybe supplementing taurine and glycine a little.

Adding - I think you meant the cod added fat tissue to the body, rather than it contained more fat itself or added more fat to the diet. I can't see that chart very well, but I think I understand now. Thanks.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Yes,the cod CAUSED fat gain in the mice through the amino acid ratio of its protein, regardless of fat content.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

TOO MUCH TAURINE CAUSES INSOMNIA! Just to let you know. Probably don't want to exceed 2 grams in a day. It also aids stomach acid excretion so a little is good but a lot will burn a hole through you!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Taurine causes me muscle twitches.

Gl;itch.e

natedawggh said:
TOO MUCH TAURINE CAUSES INSOMNIA! Just to let you know. Probably don't want to exceed 2 grams in a day. It also aids stomach acid excretion so a little is good but a lot will burn a hole through you!
Ahaha. Proof that people are quite different in how they handle various substances! I was doing 3 grams about 3-5 times a day for a long period. No problems.

natedawggh said:

How can you keep your eyes open after a spoon of taurine?

Peata

OK, I'm doing this. I feel I've tried everything else. I started yesterday by having shrimp and scallops dining out.

I cut the cod from my diet, and will try to have shrimp everyday.

Is there a chart somewhere showing glycine and taurine content of different shellfish?

I didn't find anything on a search, but I wonder, because I could alternate different shellfish, like oyster. Scallops are too expensive here in the grocery stores.

I have glycine and taurine I can take as well, but maybe just on the days I don't have shellfish.