Gain weight - how to lose weight after healing?

Bubbles

Hi everyone!
I’m new on here! I’ve been reading some posts on here for a while and it’s very inspiring and informative!

As you can read from my topic, I’m one of those people that gained weight since joining this lifestyle.
I started eating pro-metabolic foods and completely changed my knowledge on nutrition about 2 years ago.
There’s so many positives I’ve experienced, just to name a few:
- daily bowl movements
- right body temperature and bpm
- clear skin
- feeling energetic
- high libido
- free from restrictive diets
- regular period
- balanced hormones
...and I’m sure I forgot some other.
Even if all of this is simply awesome, and even after all this still sounds unbelievable to me, it came to a price...a lot of gain weight.

Now, I’m not saying that I was skinny before, I’ve never got to that point. But I’ve put on over the last 2 year around 15kg on. I’m not focused on the number, rather on how I look like.

I pretty much don’t know what I can do and where my persistant problem is. I am not focused on weight loss farther or fat loss.
I lift weights 3-4x/week and I’m very active.
To give you and idea of my stats:

1.61m 74kg (before starting this 59/60kg)

Has anyone experienced the same? When have you noticed that your healed body lost weight again?
? Thank you!

theantagonist

2-3 months in, +-7kg gained ?
Coming from 9% BF, so not bothered that much by it, I'd like for it to slow down though ?

rr1

The fact that you lift weights 3-4x/week is good. But the standard precautions need to be said that this shouldn't be for much longer than 45 min sessions. Overtraining and stressing yourself in the gym will directly lead to weight gain. I would recommend training more for strength than anything else, i.e. low reps and high rest periods. Train smart and don't let yourself feel achy and if you need more rest use more rest.

Another thing to keep in mind is to not let yourself ever hyperventilate. You need to keep CO2 up by breathing through nose, and breathing slowly. Some fruit juice can be good before during and after your workout. The reason why this is helpful for fat loss is that your muscles burn mostly fat at rest, so if you provide enough sugar, or well cooked carbs, for your brain and other tissues, your muscles will safely burn the excess fat at rest.

Sauna can also help. Basically any fun activity will help to lose weight, through raising dopamine and lowering serotonin, thus increasing metabolism. For example, randomly going on a hike or going for a run with a friend will be a lot more beneficial than using an exercise bike every day, as routine increases serotonin so much. Anything that blocks cortisol and serotonin will help you to lose weight. So anything you can do to lower stress will help.

If you still struggle to lose the weight while doing all of the pro metabolic things - then instead of lowering calories, I would try to just increase activity a little more. Things as simple as using a standing desk instead of sitting, or wearing a weight vest and doing small bursts of activity or walking throughout the day can help. I think if you are losing around 1-2 pounds per week this sounds reasonable. Also keeping protein high will ensure that there are no muscle loss.

If all else still fails, then maybe starting to lower fat intake, and having your only fat intake coming from eggs would be something to try.

Sorry that this post is sort of all over the place, just some different thoughts and ideas to try.

theantagonist

Just to add on the previous post. Great tips!
I will be focussing on these coming months:
keeping an anabolic environment, lowering cortisol and adrenaline, lowering beta oxidation, lowering fat intake, improving liver health

Anabolic + lowering cortisol go hand in hand, progesterone+ DHEA + Vitamin D, they all lower cortisol
Lowering adrenaline: prevent blood sugar from dropping, eating when waking up & replenishing liver glycogen, having some fats & complex carbs at night
Lowering beta oxidation: aspirin and niacinamide
Liver health can be a bit more complicated: see hans/menelite, he has a very extensive article written on it

Bloodlabs + temperature/heart rate are invaluable

Heard on danny roddy, that foamy urine could be an indication of increased fatty acids in the blood, which would indicate more fatoxidation, which leads to insulin resistance, increased insulin, so increased fat storage.

TripleOG

If you had a history of chronic stress (be it from exercise, fasting, low carb, trauma, etc) then there’s likely a hormonal component you’ll want to look into. It’s been discussed on Danny Roddy’s show a few time past couple months.

00:50:05

01:38:18

OP
B

Bubbles

The fact that you lift weights 3-4x/week is good. But the standard precautions need to be said that this shouldn't be for much longer than 45 min sessions. Overtraining and stressing yourself in the gym will directly lead to weight gain. I would recommend training more for strength than anything else, i.e. low reps and high rest periods. Train smart and don't let yourself feel achy and if you need more rest use more rest.
Thanks for all the info!
Yes, I'm careful when it comes to that too. I don't do any cardio etc. and neither any long sessions as I feel it tanking on my nerve system too.
Another thing to keep in mind is to not let yourself ever hyperventilate. You need to keep CO2 up by breathing through nose, and breathing slowly. Some fruit juice can be good before during and after your workout. The reason why this is helpful for fat loss is that your muscles burn mostly fat at rest, so if you provide enough sugar, or well cooked carbs, for your brain and other tissues, your muscles will safely burn the excess fat at rest.
II drink as an Intra workout drink OJ + Coconut water + pinch of salt. So would you recommend having straight after the workout another sugary/carb meal or would my Intra workout drink be enough?
Sauna can also help. Basically any fun activity will help to lose weight, through raising dopamine and lowering serotonin, thus increasing metabolism. For example, randomly going on a hike or going for a run with a friend will be a lot more beneficial than using an exercise bike every day, as routine increases serotonin so much. Anything that blocks cortisol and serotonin will help you to lose weight. So anything you can do to lower stress will help.

If you still struggle to lose the weight while doing all of the pro metabolic things - then instead of lowering calories, I would try to just increase activity a little more. Things as simple as using a standing desk instead of sitting, or wearing a weight vest and doing small bursts of activity or walking throughout the day can help. I think if you are losing around 1-2 pounds per week this sounds reasonable. Also keeping protein high will ensure that there are no muscle loss.
That's the thing. I come from a background of really not eating many calories/day. I worked myself up to eating between 2200-2500 calories and that's where I actually feel good. That's the amount of calories I need in order to feel energetic and simply well. I tried to go down to 2000 calories to see whether I was "overeating" but I feel pretty bad. The problem is whenever I stay in my "feel-good-ratio" my weight increases literally every week. -.-
I walk my dogs 3x/day, I'm on my feet every day even in my profession and that going along with my nutrition and gym sessions makes me so confused as in why I keep putting weight on.
If all else still fails, then maybe starting to lower fat intake, and having your only fat intake coming from eggs would be something to try.

Sorry that this post is sort of all over the place, just some different thoughts and ideas to try.
My macros at 2300cals are: 304c - 125p - 65f -> I know everyone is different when it come to the macro distribution, but I would be interested to know your thoughts on this. My fats come almost entirely from eggs, milk, cheese, coconut oil for my carrot salad and a bit to cook my food in.
Thank you for all your thoughts again!!

OP
B

Bubbles

Just to add on the previous post. Great tips!
I will be focussing on these coming months:
keeping an anabolic environment, lowering cortisol and adrenaline, lowering beta oxidation, lowering fat intake, improving liver health
Great ideas! I hope it will work for you!
Lowering your fat intake is because you don't feel well on the amount you're consuming right now or are you trying it for fat loss?
Anabolic + lowering cortisol go hand in hand, progesterone+ DHEA + Vitamin D, they all lower cortisol
About the Vitamin D, I've noticed even between who follows RP very different thoughts...Have you noticed it too?
Lowering adrenaline: prevent blood sugar from dropping, eating when waking up & replenishing liver glycogen, having some fats & complex carbs at night
Lowering beta oxidation: aspirin and niacinamide
Liver health can be a bit more complicated: see hans/menelite, he has a very extensive article written on it

Bloodlabs + temperature/heart rate are invaluable

Heard on danny roddy, that foamy urine could be an indication of increased fatty acids in the blood, which would indicate more fatoxidation, which leads to insulin resistance, increased insulin, so increased fat storage.
Thanks for all your tips too. Really appreciated!

OP
B

Bubbles

If you had a history of chronic stress (be it from exercise, fasting, low carb, trauma, etc) then there’s likely a hormonal component you’ll want to look into. It’s been discussed on Danny Roddy’s show a few time past couple months.

00:50:05

01:38:18

Awesome, thank you so much fro sharing this! I have a neurological disease which I was hoping to better with all this nutritional shift, but unfortunately it didn't happen.
My neurologist advised me to go on a Keto diet years ago, but it actually worsened my state.
I noticed that whenever I was in a bad neurological state my Prolactine went high, as it produced a lot of stress in my body (even if often unconsciously). Regular blood tests showed it has been great for at least the last year. My hope was that the Prolactin levels were key to finally unblocking my body...

I'll listen to the video for sure! Thanks

theantagonist

About the Vitamin D, I've noticed even between who follows RP very different thoughts...Have you noticed it too?
hmm.. not sure what you mean with that statement.
I think vitamin D supplementation is pretty important, certainly in the winter months and corona. I'd certainly check vit D levels (25OH cholecalciferol, not 1.25).
I believe the recommendation is levels of 40-50. If the liver needs it, it will hog up vitamin D if taken orally, so a topical like calcitrol from idealabs is great to add in that situation.
Lowering your fat intake is because you don't feel well on the amount you're consuming right now or are you trying it for fat loss?

Lowering fat intake to lower free fatty acids in the blood. I would like to keep glucose oxidation "ideal". Prevent blockage in the Randle cycle. Which should prevent fat accumulation + good for metabolism
Awesome, thank you so much fro sharing this! I have a neurological disease which I was hoping to better with all this nutritional shift, but unfortunately it didn't happen.

You might need a more comprehensive approach to kick you out of the stress/disease cycle.
Haidut has a lot of articles on mental and neurological diseases, might be a good idea to browse those.
But in general the main culprits are always there; estrogen, cortisol, adrenalin, prolactin, serotonin, low glucose oxidation

theantagonist

I noticed that whenever I was in a bad neurological state my Prolactine went high, as it produced a lot of stress in my body (even if often unconsciously). Regular blood tests showed it has been great for at least the last year. My hope was that the Prolactin levels were key to finally unblocking my body...

I'll listen to the video for sure! Thanks
Estrogen has a 0.9 correlation with prolactin, and serotonin has a 0.87 correlation with prolactin.
So high prolactin, means high estrogen and serotonin.

David90

Yeah you're Right about that. Training 3-4x/Week for 45 Minutes can be enough. If someone's Metabolism can handle it, they can surely go up to 60 Minutes (with precautions) but i would not go much over that Time. Most of the Time's 45 Minutes is more than Enough. For Example Kinobody's Greek God Program are mostly no longer then 45 Minutes if you do it right. Also someone could olan the Workouts, so that they are no longer than 45 Minutes. In This case i would concentrate more on Compound Exercises (More Bang for your Buck) and less on Isolation Exercises. This is what i'm doing. I do kinda like a Hybrid Approach. During The Week i train 45 Minutes straight. And on Sunday (where i have the lowest stress in the Week) i do 60 Minutes. It work's quite well.

This is what a 45 Minutes Full Body Workout looks like during the Week:

-Barbell Incline Bench Press / 3x 6-8
-Incline Dumbbell Row / 4x 8-10
-Courtesy Lunge / 3x 8-10
-Seated Incline Biceps Curls or Seated Incline Dumbbell Skull Crusher / 2x 15-20
-Dumbbell Lateral Raise / 2x 15-30
-1 Weighted AB Exercise of your Choosing / 2-3x 8-20
Or this Upper Body Workout:

-Barbell / Dumbbell Flat Bench Press / 3x 6-8
-Incline Dumbell Row / 5x 8-10
-Seated Incline Biceps Curls / 2x 15-20
-Seated Incline Dumbbell Skull Crusher / 2x 15-20
-Dumbell Lateral Raise / 2x 15-30
-1 Weighted AB Exercise of your Choosing / 2-3x 8-20

With Pauses between Sets and Pauses between Exercises i'm mostly done in 45 Minutes. This should serve as an Example how to structure a 45 Minutes Workout.

Also like you said, not Stressing yourself in the Gym and getting enough Rest is Crucial. 3-4 Minutes Pause for Compound Exercises like Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift, and so forth (ONLY Exception are Dumbbell Compound Exercises, here it can be only 2 Minutes, like the Incline Dumbbell Row mentioned in the Example) and 1-2 Minutes for Isolation Exercises. Also Resting between Exercises should be done. 2-3 Minutes are Enough for that, most of the Time.

In Terms of CO2 and Hyperventaling he can drink Sparkling Water with around 200-250 ml of Orange or Apple Juice (Both not from Concentrate) and a bit of Salt.
It should help increasing CO2 and Holding Cortisol Down. I Personally can attest to that.

I also would make sure to Track the Calories via Cronometer App to make sure he is in a Caloric Deficit. A 250-300 kcal is more than Enough. I would personally go the extra route of cutting a bit longer rather than to restrict yourself from calories too much. Also like you Mentioned, increasing Activity is also a good Way. A Daily Walk of 15000-20000 Steps per Day can help wonders.....

Also lowering Fat Intake is a good thing to try. I'm lowering it myself at the Moment in slow amounts.

dabdabdab

increase mitochondrial uncoupling and decrease beta oxidation.
it can be as simple as increasing your thiamine with its cofactor magnesium.
I included 600mg benfotiamine in my diet(morning) , also sipped a glass of dissolved magnesium into water throughout the day.
I had to replenish my blood glucose level before every meal to facilitate digestion and also prevent cortisol from going high.

it's crazy how much leaner I look. even trouble areas are losing fat.
even though I consumed more calories.
since it increases your carbon dioxide, it will shrink your excess skin too.

David90

increase mitochondrial uncoupling and decrease beta oxidation.
it can be as simple as increasing your thiamine with its cofactor magnesium.
I included 600mg benfotiamine in my diet(morning) , also sipped a glass of dissolved magnesium into water throughout the day.
I had to replenish my blood glucose level before every meal to facilitate digestion and also prevent cortisol from going high.

it's crazy how much leaner I look. even trouble areas are losing fat.
even though I consumed more calories.
since it increases your carbon dioxide, it will shrink your excess skin too.
Interesting. I Thought about giving Thiamine a try....