WEIGHT LOSS Is Achieved By AMINO ACID Ratios

Zachs

Scallops are the highest in both aminos. There's a study somewhere showing scallops were awesome. Btw try nutritiondata.Com, they have a drop down menu for all aminos.

Peata

Zachs said:
Scallops are the highest in both aminos. There's a study somewhere showing scallops were awesome. Btw try nutritiondata.Com, they have a drop down menu for all aminos.

The link didn't work, but I typed it in my browser. Thanks, that is a very helpful site.

I did find scallops after all at a decent price in another town.

honeybee

Taurine appears to cause headaches for me. Any ideas why or is anyone else experiencing this? I'm using NOW brand-I started at 500 mg and then lowered to 250 but still getting headaches. Has minimal excipients.
I've been taking glycine for months and it's relatively pure so it's not that. I also take a bcomplex 25, vitamin k, a, d. Nine of theses are causing me any problems.

Peata

natedawggh said:
Prompted me to purchase taurine and glycine. I have been taking both with every protein food I ingest: Milk, chicken, potatoes, as well as shrimp. I don't notice so much help from the free glycine, but I definitely feel different when using Taurine (and indeed it is the only amino acid shown to reduce water retention in cellular uptake, which is essentially what stimulates fat storage). I haven't noticed that I can eat whatever I want, however, and include Taurine. Protein is best assimilated whole and not individual amino acids, and so the shrimp is probably the best source I have been eating, but I have noticed an assisted effect by the supplementary Taurine. One of the main effects is the feeling that my fatty/bloated liver and lower intestinal inflammation has been subsiding quickly, and I've been experiencing a feeling of lightness in my lower abdomen that has been missing for some years.

How much Taurine and Glycine did you supplement?

I think I read where RP said 2 or 3 g day was OK for Taurine. I'm currently taking 1 g., divided of Taurine and about 1.5 g. Glycine divided.

kkrtype

Hi Natedawggh!

I just read this and congrats!!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this and for all your help in my posts!!!!

BingDing

The Wiki page on taurine had this. Looks like you're on the right track.

Dietary taurine has a blood cholesterol-lowering effect in young overweight adults. Furthermore, body weight also decreased significantly with taurine supplementation.[42] These findings are consistent with animal studies.[43]

The study is here, they supplemented 3g/day.

Peata

Unfortunately, after 1-1/2 weeks of scallops and/or shrimp and glycine, taurine, no weight loss. Things are the same. Maybe I need to just start taking 3 g. taurine per day.

pepsi

honeybee said:
Taurine appears to cause headaches for me. Any ideas why or is anyone else experiencing this? I'm using NOW brand-I started at 500 mg and then lowered to 250 but still getting headaches. Has minimal excipients.
I've been taking glycine for months and it's relatively pure so it's not that. I also take a bcomplex 25, vitamin k, a, d. Nine of theses are causing me any problems.

Its the opposite for me. Ive been taking taurine, a few grams per day, and I feel fine, even a little thinner the next morning. But when I take glycine, it makes me drowsy and I have a headache when I get up in the morning.

honeybee

@christini I figured out that the headaches were cases by potasssium imbalance. Started taking a little potassium gluconte and the headaches stopped . I can't take more than 250 mg of taurine at a time though cause it makes me super sleepy . And adding glycine at the same time - guaranteed zzzzzzzzI'm getting great sleep now though it's not convenient at work!. I think I'll try caffeine pills with the taurine next.

Katty

Taurine and glycine both cause digestive problems for me. Anyone else have this issue? Even at small doses, like 1/4 of a gram. I even boil the glycine or taurine and then add to jello to make sure it is dissolved, and still I have issues. I wish I could take everything transdermally.

janus

natedawggh said:
I definitely feel different when using Taurine (and indeed it is the only amino acid shown to reduce water retention in cellular uptake, which is essentially what stimulates fat storage).

What taste does the taurine powder have, in y'all's experience? My powder has zero taste.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Mine's a pill so I don't know. :) Glycine is sweet though, almost like sugar.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

So... I have continued doing this but have experienced something that seems to totally validate the amino acid balance influence on body fat:

I started taking Lysine, because I have been suffering from some depression and since I no longer drink to deal with it, I needed something to take the edge off. Well, Lysine totally did that, but it halted the weight loss I was experiencing on the shrimp/shellfish based diet. I also know this because one of the other phenomena I experience is that the stretch marks on my skin, when doing the shrimp based diet, turn pink and have been healing and fading. As well as on the lysine they turned back to purple and stopped fading, and I stopped losing weight. I stopped taking lysine twice and my depression seems to have cleared, and the shrimp has once again been having a thermogenic response and the stretch marks are again fresh and fading. There really can't be any other reason for this than the amino acid influences.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

And of course this is meant to be for people who CANNOT lose weight by just increasing the metabolism, or rather, fueling with proper foods does nothing to alleviate undated body fat.

janus

natedawggh said:
So... I have continued doing this but have experienced something that seems to totally validate the amino acid balance influence on body fat:

I started taking Lysine, because I have been suffering from some depression and since I no longer drink to deal with it, I needed something to take the edge off. Well, Lysine totally did that, but it halted the weight loss I was experiencing on the shrimp/shellfish based diet. I also know this because one of the other phenomena I experience is that the stretch marks on my skin, when doing the shrimp based diet, turn pink and have been healing and fading. As well as on the lysine they turned back to purple and stopped fading, and I stopped losing weight. I stopped taking lysine twice and my depression seems to have cleared, and the shrimp has once again been having a thermogenic response and the stretch marks are again fresh and fading. There really can't be any other reason for this than the amino acid influences.

What amounts & ratios have you been using?

PeatJAM

Natedawgg - I know this thread is a little old but was just wondering if you are still having success with the glycine/Taurine....I was thinking about adding them to help with blood sugar and of course weight loss...could you talk a littl more about how you dosed it...

How much...did you just take it with meals...how many times a day, total amount per dose and per day...etc. I can't use gelatine so maybe this is the best way for me.

Thank

Peata

Just wanted to report back that for me, I was finally able to lose a little weight even when I was on cyproheptadine, and later switched to lysine. Now I am just taking taurine. In my case, I do not think the amino acid ratio was off in the first place enough to affect weight. It was more about getting glycogen problem fixed and raising metabolism. It's been interesting to read about the different things that have aided others though.

sele

Peata said:
Just wanted to report back that for me, I was finally able to lose a little weight even when I was on cyproheptadine, and later switched to lysine. Now I am just taking taurine. In my case, I do not think the amino acid ratio was off in the first place enough to affect weight. It was more about getting glycogen problem fixed and raising metabolism. It's been interesting to read about the different things that have aided others though.

How were you able to fix your glycogen problem?

Peata

sele said:
Peata said:

How were you able to fix your glycogen problem?

I believe taking famotidine had a lot to do with it. Haidut posted some info on it's uses.

tomisonbottom

natedawggh said:
post 73991 Congratulations to me, I have lost 20 lbs on a Ray Peat diet, finally! And to you nice people who suggested I might have been at a weight that was healthy for me, thank you for saying so but I have definitely been very overweight, at a 42 pant size instead of my normal 34 or 36 pant size (I"m now at 38!)

This study suggests that the higher potential glycine and taurine in shellfish is possibly helping
http://www.ergo-log.com/best-high-prote ... ycine.html

How much taurine do you take with meals?

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals