haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 104500
haidut said:
post 74456
Peata said:
Yesterday I took 500 mg. glycine and 1 g. taurine after a meal and it made me calm and drowsy. Not that I was unable to function, but I felt like curling up for a nap. This would be a good effect if taken before bed, but not during the day for me.

As both amino acids are GABA agonists I am not surprised at all. I personally take glycine/taurine only at night. Also, high doses can lead to depersonalization like other GABA agonists. Try 15g of taurine a day and you will see what I mean.
Could this cause apathia and/or anhedonia as well? How do this work? By lowering ACTH?

Apathy yes, anhedonia probably no. Anhedonia is a symptom of depression and high serotonin. And yes, GABA agonists downregulate ACTH and as such some of them are approved for Cushing disease.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peata

Yesterday I ate a can of crab meat (cooked) and had taken 500 mg each of taurine and glycine. I became very relaxed, it was similar to an anti-anxiety pill. I got pretty sleepy but it wasn't like I couldn't still function.

superhuman

@haidut seems like i suffer from bile release and upset stomach. When i take taurine my stomach get bloated esp the lower stomach and bowels get slower. Is there anything i can do to solve it or should i just drop taurine completely and use glycine instead? I would love to use taurine and get the benefits from it

Mauritio

Very cool study .
I get allergic reactions to every glycine supplement I take and cant digest gelatin well , so I'll eat scallop more often.
Peat recommends that seafood is caught and grown in the ocean since it'll have more selenium and other minerals.

Btw the study showed that the cod group had the highest abdominal fat level ,which is weird since its low in fat and also has a good amount of taurine and glycine.

Mauritio

Fllora

I think this is what Ray recommends. He emailed somebody that 2g-3g of taurine is what he thinks is OK. Same for glycine, even though when you eat gelatin you usually get more than 2g-3g of glycine. I only took 15g of taurine a day for one month and to fix blood pressure issues. Most people probably don't need more than 5g a day.
Haidut, do you know of any studies showing ill-effects from long-term use of Taurine at these doses? There was another thread almost entirely devoted to discussing this possibility. Thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals