Protein High In Glycine And/or Taurine May Prevent Obesity

johns74

pboy said:
bile acids are primarily made from conjugated taurine and glycine, I wonder if the high amount allows the liver to dump more effectively, id suspect so

bile acids is a huge topic. I wondered, in a recent post, about using beets to bind more bile acids and excrete Teflon toxins faster, maybe for those who've been using Teflon recently.

kiran

Dutchie said:
Ewlevy1 said:
Which foods have the highest amount of taurine?

If I recall correctly cheese , yoghurt,whole milk and chocolate are very high on the list.

What kind of milk are we talking about here?
Taurine is not a major constituent in the milk of the [...]cow
Taurine and other free amino acids in milk of man and other mammals. - PubMed - NCBI
The cows' milk samples were relatively low in taurine with values of 68 (30–123) mg/kg dry matter compared to the breast milk samples which exhibited an average value of 458 (163–1170) mg/kg dry matter.

Determinations of taurine in milk and infant formula diets - Springer

Peatri Dish

Just a quick update on the glycine and taurine. I have been taking 1000mg of each at bedtime and I haven't seen any weight loss. I do have edema issues I'm trying to sort out so that doesn't mean they don't help there. But I must say I am sleeping so soundly. It's a blessed miracle. I was already taking my Benadryl and niacinamide at night but the taurine and glycine have sealed the deal! Sweet dreams!

johns74

Peatri Dish said:
Just a quick update on the glycine and taurine. I have been taking 1000mg of each at bedtime and I haven't seen any weight loss. I do have edema issues I'm trying to sort out so that doesn't mean they don't help there. But I must say I am sleeping so soundly. It's a blessed miracle. I was already taking my Benadryl and niacinamide at night but the taurine and glycine have sealed the deal! Sweet dreams!

Do you know which has the most impact on sleep, between taurine and glycine?

Brian

I get insomnia with even 500mg of taurine a day. It's very unpleasant. It makes me incapable of falling asleep hours past my usual bedtime. Has anybody experienced something similar? I used the taurine from bulksupplements.com

johns74

I wonder if taurine and glycine need to be in some kind of ratio. If I recall correctly, human bile has a ratio of 2:1, of glycine to taurine.

Peatri Dish

I don't know as I got them on the same day. Anecdotally I can say that I used to drink a ton of red bull and still sleep like a baby years ago. That has taurine. Both are supposed to be good for sleep.

aguilaroja

Brian said:
I get insomnia with even 500mg of taurine a day. It's very unpleasant. It makes me incapable of falling asleep hours past my usual bedtime. Has anybody experienced something similar? ...

Yes, I know a few people who have gotten revved up from taurine. It occasionally happened to me, although it is more often sedating in my case. I have one friend recently for whom it, happily, has both effects: it helps the energy and mood during the day while helping to have soothing sleep at night.

I think this usually represents a short term increase in efficiency of metabolism. Metabolic energy is needed to alert and orient, and also, in other circumstances, to sleep. Progesterone, magnesium, and T3 late in the day, though often useful sleep aids, can also occasionally keep people away.

The effects of timing of supportive supplements, even in the same person, can vary depending on situation. In some cases, after continued use, the pattern may shift. "Of course", there are individual responses to any substance, even if it is not listed as a "common side effect".

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Taurine, glycine and beta alanine are all supposed to bind to the same "receptors" and cause similar/same effects in the brain. I posted a study somewhere on the forum about the similarities among these amino acids. If I had to choose, I'd go with glycine since taurine stimulates bile release A LOT and that can cause upset stomach in some people, which could explain some of the problems people here are noticing with taurine.

loess

Peata

Yesterday I took 500 mg. glycine and 1 g. taurine after a meal and it made me calm and drowsy. Not that I was unable to function, but I felt like curling up for a nap. This would be a good effect if taken before bed, but not during the day for me.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
Yesterday I took 500 mg. glycine and 1 g. taurine after a meal and it made me calm and drowsy. Not that I was unable to function, but I felt like curling up for a nap. This would be a good effect if taken before bed, but not during the day for me.

As both amino acids are GABA agonists I am not surprised at all. I personally take glycine/taurine only at night. Also, high doses can lead to depersonalization like other GABA agonists. Try 15g of taurine a day and you will see what I mean.

G

gummybear

haidut said:
Peata said:

As both amino acids are GABA agonists I am not surprised at all. I personally take glycine/taurine only at night. Also, high doses can lead to depersonalization like other GABA agonists. Try 15g of taurine a day and you will see what I mean.

Good man

I take it for breakfast and the day is so smooth and nothing can bother me not even women

Attachments

• 1427256356672.jpg
    1427256356672.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,039
Hey it looks like Ray Peat saw this too:

Peata said:
Q's: There has been a lot of confusion on what you recommend to lose body weight/ fat. Some say reduce calories, others say you must raise calories (to lose weight). Many of us seem to be insulin resistant and unable to lose. Can you clear up your recommendations on lowing weight/fat?

Answer from RP on 4/12/15: Keeping the metabolic rate up is the main thing, and there are lots of ways to do it. Using gelatin as an extra protein source can help to raise the body temperature. Since insulin stimulates fat deposition, insulin resistance isn’t likely to lead to extra fat production.

Gl;itch.e

Take it for what its worth (one mans anecdotal experience) but I had trouble gaining weight when I was dosing around 9-15g of Taurine and no Glycine outside of a little from Gelatin, maybe 4 grams a day. When I dropped the Taurine back I managed to start gaining weight a little easier. I was intentionally trying to gain weight by the way! :):

janus

Gl;itch.e said:
Take it for what its worth (one mans anecdotal experience) but I had trouble gaining weight when I was dosing around 9-15g of Taurine and no Glycine outside of a little from Gelatin, maybe 4 grams a day. When I dropped the Taurine back I managed to start gaining weight a little easier. I was intentionally trying to gain weight by the way! :):

Man, I thought I was taking a lot of taurine... but I max out at 8-10g.

G

gummybear

Gl;itch.e said:

Why would you take 15g of taurine?

Attachments

• 1427693730514.jpg
    1427693730514.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 832

Gl;itch.e

gummybear said:
Gl;itch.e said:

Why would you take 15g of taurine?
I was experimenting with it because I was suspicious that I had a sulphur deficiency. I was also trying to increase dopamine and testosterone to help with my weight training/muscle building etc.

Parsifal

haidut said:
post 74456
Peata said:

Could this cause apathia and/or anhedonia as well? How do this work? By lowering ACTH?

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals