Shrimp And Weight Loss?

natedawggh

I have been losing weight regularly for the first time since Peating, and while I've not been drinking any alcohol, I seem to have noticed it is only happening when I'm eating a lot of shrimp. I take some supplements that are in shrimp, like copper and zinc and b vitamins. About a month ago I had a LOT of shrimp during the week, frozen, and eating them for dinner with cocktail sauce because I was too busy to make a real meal. I lost weight, and felt less bloated almost immediately. I continued to eat the shrimp all week, and then I went a few days without them and my weight loss stopped and I felt bloated. So I picked up eating the shrimp again and sure enough, I lost the bloat and lost weight. This happened again this week, I noticed I was bloating and not losing weight and realized I hadn't had shrimp in about four days (I'm having some right now).

What could it be in the shrimp that is doing this? It seems to be very very potent for me, but I can't eat this much shrimp all the time, I will just stop liking them. :shootself

schultz

Do you normally get enough selenium and protein? Those are the only things that stand out to me when I looked them up... I must admit I'm intrigued!

janus

I tend to eat a few shrimp per day. Notably, they're high cholesterol/low fat. And dank.

Peata

I've been eating shellfish at least once per day since Wed. I haven't changed anything else in diet. Will weigh myself tomorrow.

Peata said:
I've been eating shellfish at least once per day since Wed. I haven't changed anything else in diet. Will weigh myself tomorrow.

I was wondering if you have had your thyroid checked recently Peata, like a full thyroid panel? Seems like that scale should certainly be moving for you... :idea:

SQu

Based on other recent posts about taurine and bile salts and stomach acid, I wonder if taurine works partly by assisting digestion?

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:
Peata said:

I was wondering if you have had your thyroid checked recently Peata, like a full thyroid panel? Seems like that scale should certainly be moving for you... :idea:

TSH - 1.85 when it was tested last summer. I think that's all they would test.

Friday will be my next weigh-in day for this experiment. I'm hoping that since I feel pretty good that things are moving in the right direction, or will be soon. I'll document it in my weight loss thread if something happens. If I go for much longer without weight loss, I will try to get my dr. to do full panel.

Peata

sueq said:
Based on other recent posts about taurine and bile salts and stomach acid, I wonder if taurine works partly by assisting digestion?

That seems likely. I'm taking up to 1 g. per day now, along with glycine.

Momado965

I can't seem to find any reliable source about the fat in shrimp. Specifically the pufa content.

docall18

I have been losing weight regularly for the first time since Peating, and while I've not been drinking any alcohol, I seem to have noticed it is only happening when I'm eating a lot of shrimp. I take some supplements that are in shrimp, like copper and zinc and b vitamins. About a month ago I had a LOT of shrimp during the week, frozen, and eating them for dinner with cocktail sauce because I was too busy to make a real meal. I lost weight, and felt less bloated almost immediately. I continued to eat the shrimp all week, and then I went a few days without them and my weight loss stopped and I felt bloated. So I picked up eating the shrimp again and sure enough, I lost the bloat and lost weight. This happened again this week, I noticed I was bloating and not losing weight and realized I hadn't had shrimp in about four days (I'm having some right now).

What could it be in the shrimp that is doing this? It seems to be very very potent for me, but I can't eat this much shrimp all the time, I will just stop liking them. :shootself

When i eat a lot of shrimp with only sugar with it (coke, honey, coffee) I get an increase in temperature and pulse (up to 100 bpm+).

I also notice my vision gets very clear/high contrast. This happens when I take something that lowers serotonin (carrot, Charcoal, Taurine, niacinamide, aspirin).

So for me it lowers serotonin, possibly by reducing gut bacteria/endotoxin.

EIRE24

When i eat a lot of shrimp with only sugar with it (coke, honey, coffee) I get an increase in temperature and pulse (up to 100 bpm+).

I also notice my vision gets very clear/high contrast. This happens when I take something that lowers serotonin (carrot, Charcoal, Taurine, niacinamide, aspirin).

So for me it lowers serotonin, possibly by reducing gut bacteria/endotoxin.
Do you eat starch?

Ideonaut

thanks for sharing your experience, nate!

berk

What do you mean exactly with weight?
- Water weight?
- Fat loss?
- Muscle mass?
- Your limbs falling of?
Be specific ;-)

Last edited:

Mauritio

Interesting observation.

This study suggests that the higher potential glycine and taurine in shellfish is possibly helping
http://www.ergo-log.com/best-high-prote ... ycine.html
Interesting thread .
The study shows actually that only scallop correlated with lower body fat and liver weight, NOT shrimp and cod .
Actually cod had the highest visceral fat amount of all diets including chicken.
I wonder why that is!

jpgio

I ate shrimp for the first time in a couple years today and it looked like some one turned the saturation up all the way on a tv. colors looked insanely vivid