What warms you up most?

eminions

The reason I ask is I have been following a Ray Peat inspired diet for about a year now and I am still not warming up.

I was consuming: 3 Quarts of Skim Milk, 6 Quarts of OJ, eating a raw carrot daily, eating a pound or half pound of shrimp a week, and supplementing with Thyroid etc.., yet I was still pretty freaking cold no matter what I did. That comes out to about 4000 Calories and I was maintaining weight even though I was working out and trying to gain weight.

I am a 23 year old male and have never really been able to gain weight, I am 6'1 and maintain a weight of about 165-170.

I think I am going to stop drinking so much liquids and eat more solid food. I tried potatoes for my first time "breaking" my super strict Peat diet and it warmed me up pretty well. I did consume some fruits with it in order to balance out the glucose/fructose ratios.

TLDR; What warms you up best?

jaguar43

eminions said:
The reason I ask is I have been following a Ray Peat inspired diet for about a year now and I am still not warming up.

I was consuming: 3 Quarts of Skim Milk, 6 Quarts of OJ, eating a raw carrot daily, eating a pound or half pound of shrimp a week, and supplementing with Thyroid etc.., yet I was still pretty freaking cold no matter what I did. That comes out to about 4000 Calories and I was maintaining weight even though I was working out and trying to gain weight.

I am a 23 year old male and have never really been able to gain weight, I am 6'1 and maintain a weight of about 165-170.

I think I am going to stop drinking so much liquids and eat more solid food. I tried potatoes for my first time "breaking" my super strict Peat diet and it warmed me up pretty well. I did consume some fruits with it in order to balance out the glucose/fructose ratios.

Eating a large meal with coffee then taking cynomel.

I hope you weren't just eating

3 Quarts of Skim Milk, 6 Quarts of OJ, eating a raw carrot daily, eating a pound or half pound of shrimp a week,

OP
E

eminions

Well, pretty much:

Daily:
3 Quarts of Skim Milk
6 Quarts of OJ
Coconut Oil
1-2 TBSP Cocoa Powder
3 TSP Salt
VA + VK2, Aspirin, Thyroid
Raw Carrot

Weekly:
1/2 - 1 lb Shrimp

jyb

9 quarts liquid? That's a lot... You could replace some of the milk by gelatin and OJ by sugar or well cooked potato since you digest it well (or higher quality OJ -- assuming that load of juice you have is not prenium or fresh squeezed). I believe the gelatin might help with muscles and volume, so a bit of weight.

One egg yolk daily for the biotin too? I'm not sure actually, but as far as I know only that is a good source of biotin, yet biotin deficiency would prevent good glucose utilization.

AmandaWald

This is NOT a Peat diet! He does NOT drink that much!

He is quite keen on potatoes, for example, as well as root vegetables. You don't have to "eat" this restrictively at all.

You could add in some potatoes with your meals and drink less. He recommends the skim milk as a source of protein, but I have always read/heard the number of 2 quarts per day, not 3, and certainly not SIX quarts of OJ. You must be peeing all the time!

Also, I don't see any coffee on there. He takes some of his milk in the form of cafe con leche, with sugar, during the day. Plus, he doesn't have anything against beef or lamb, as far as I know.

I like to have waffles or pancakes with apple sauce for breakfast, or French toast made with gluten-free bread and maple syrup. All of these have gluten-free starch (but not much), some egg and milk. I find that these keep me going for quite a while. I have these with coffee and sugar and milk. The coffee alone warms me up.

For lunch today, I had shepherd's pie (it's British - does that mean anything to you?), which was basically ground beef, carrots, celeriac and mashed potatoes, plus a few other things to flavour it all.

This evening I had to use up some leftovers and wasn't very Peaty...

I don't quite know where you got your version of Peating from, but I think you need to adapt it so that it heats you up. That is what he wants people to aim for: to eat in such a way that it increases your metabolic rate. If you are still cold all the time, then you need to change what you are eating.

What warms me up most is coffee, by the way!

Amanda

jaguar43

eminions said:
Well, pretty much:

Daily:
3 Quarts of Skim Milk
6 Quarts of OJ
Coconut Oil
1-2 TBSP Cocoa Powder
3 TSP Salt
VA + VK2, Aspirin, Thyroid
Raw Carrot

Weekly:
1/2 - 1 lb Shrimp

This is way to limiting, coconut oil is used when you eat high pufa. Ray doesn't used coconut oil anymore because he doesn't eat alot of pufa.

A lot of people have that issue as well.

Dutchie

eminions said:

Fruit with potatoes,thats interesting.....what did you eat exactly,boiled/baked potatos and a random piece of fruit with it,or did you make a real dish of it?....just trying to get some eat-inspiration.
Lately I get these instances where I think about coconut oil baked sweet potatoes glazed with molasses.....never had it in my entire live but that image keeps popping up in my head. Than today I read that Resistant Starch aids calcium absorption.

iLoveSugar

AmandaWald said:
He is quite keen on potatoes, for example, as well as root vegetables. You don't have to "eat" this restrictively at all.

Amanda

One of his practitioners is keen on potatoes (STARCH), or Ray is? Ray is NOT a fan of potatoes, at all!!!!!! If someone has a tough time with any other protein, he will then recommend the potato JUICE for it's protein. Ray does not eat potatoes, and has had NO starch, since the late 80's except for occasional Masa Harina from ash when he is in Mexico. I have gone into great detail with him, personally, regarding this matter!

jaguar43

iLoveSugar said:
AmandaWald said:

Amanda

One of his practitioners is keen on potatoes (STARCH), or Ray is? Ray is NOT a fan of potatoes, at all!!!!!! If someone has a tough time with any other protein, he will then recommend the potato JUICE for it's protein. Ray does not eat potatoes, and has had NO starch, since the late 80's except for occasional Masa Harina from ash when he is in Mexico. I have gone into great detail with him, personally, regarding this matter!

And Mr. Peats symptoms were extreme like passing blood through the stool? Pretty sure most people would avoid starch if he/she share the same symptoms as Mr. Peat.

though thats not really the point of the thread. I think it would be fair to add more variety to the op. Drinking that much liquid is not helping his temps. His diet is extremely limiting.

iLoveSugar

jag2594 said:
iLoveSugar said:
AmandaWald said:

Amanda

And Mr. Peats symptoms were extreme like passing blood through the stool? Pretty sure most people would avoid starch if he/she share the same symptoms as Mr. Peat.

though thats not really the point of the thread. I think it would be fair to add more variety to the op. Drinking that much liquid is not helping his temps. His diet is extremely limiting.

EXACTLY my point. Let's be clear! This is your thoughts, and other Peat followers thoughts, NOT his! When I asked him, who should eat potatoes, his answer was famines.

Are pototoes good, your darn right! But he doesn't claim they are beneficial. Things always get blown out of context. Just because he says they are better than something else, doesn't mean they are 'good'.

iLoveSugar

jag2594 said:

And yes, I do agree with you, too much liquid is evil.

jaguar43

iLoveSugar said:
jag2594 said:
iLoveSugar said:
AmandaWald said:

Amanda

EXACTLY my point. Let's be clear! This is your thoughts, and other Peat followers thoughts, NOT his! When I asked him, who should eat potatoes, his answer was famines.

Are pototoes good, your darn right! But he doesn't claim they are beneficial. Things always get blown out of context. Just because he says they are better than something else, doesn't mean they are 'good'.

If one tries to incorporate everything Mr Peat recommends at once, than it will be more stressful trying to follow a strict regime that to understand ones body ! That is what happened to eminions. Plus what works for Mr. Peat may not work for everyone else. People live in different parts of the world, you cannot be so dogmatic about nutrition.

If you believe in the idea that one must follow ray peat like a "saint" or something, then you are bound to fail. I listen to my body and see what works and what doesn't.

iLoveSugar

That's fine, do what you must. It still doesn't make it right for anyone to say that he is keen or a fan of potatoes.

AmandaWald

I could have sworn I heard him on one of the Herb Doctors radio shows that potatoes were actually quite a good source of protein - at least, in comparison to legumes.

Here:

[highlight=#ffff40]Potatoes, because of the high quality of their protein, are probably relatively free of toxic signal-substances.[/highlight]

He wrote this in 2006 in this article:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/alzheimers2.shtml

There's also this:

[highlight=#ffff80]Generally, fruits, roots, and tubers provide a high concentration of nutrients along with low concentrations of toxic antimetabolic substances.[/highlight]

Whatever the case may be, I think the issue here isn't "are potatoes dangerous?", but what would help the original poster to warm up. He himself has said that potatoes helped him to warm up.

From my understanding of what I have so far read of Peat's work, he thinks that potatoes are the least dangerous of the starchy vegetables that one could choose to eat.

I personally need some kind of starch to feel full, so I am very happy to use potatoes for that need. They are easy to cook, taste great and can be cooked in so many different ways. What's not to like?

But maybe there are later articles by Peat in which he vilifies potatoes as a nutritional no-no. I just haven't read them yet. If you can find the articles or post any quotations from Peat, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance,

Amanda

AmandaWald

iLoveSugar said:
That's fine, do what you must. It still doesn't make it right for anyone to say that he is keen or a fan of potatoes.

Sorry that I made you so angry when I recommended potatoes.

The way I have understood Peat so far is that he recommends you eat in such a way that it boosts your metabolic rate and that he is not dogmatic about diet. He has provided us with information and it is up to us to experiment and find out what works best for us as individuals.

I have not read him demonizing potatoes, let's put it that way, in the articles I have read so far, nor have I heard him on podcasts or radio shows say anything terribly bad about potatoes.

But please point me to any articles where he tells us to specifically avoid them as I would be interested to read them.

Many thanks in advance.

Amanda

iLoveSugar

Sorry Amanda, it's nothing personal against you. I just see all over threads and forums about how Ray thinks potatoes are beneficial, and other starches. It's just the furthest from the truth. If other people can handle them better than some, and 1000% positive they aren't effecting health, then probably OK to an extent. But if anyone has the slightest of health issues, it's usually a key piece. Ray and I have discussed this a few times, into good detail. I don't have all of my notes handy, but here are some.

"Yes, there's a lot of information about potato allergy; people who are bothered by one member of the Solanaceae family are likely to be somewhat sensitive to others--eggplant, tomato, paprika, bell pepper, for example. Arthritis is one of the most common reactions---some people with disabling arthritis have recovered completely as soon as they stopped eating any of those plants".

"Starches can support inappropriate bacterial growth".

"Starch should be avoided. Chocolate is highly allergenic for many people. Some ice creams are incredibly bad. Haagen Dasz seems to be o.k., vanilla and coffee, anyway. Sea food and meats are easy to digest; starches are the worst things for inflammation".

(Do you eat Masa Harina) "Only when I'm in Mexico, where they make corundas, little tamales made with corn boiled in lye from wood ashes. Having been cooked in alkali, it's already partly digested, so it's the safest kind of starch. If you make your own chips with masa harina fried in coconut oil, they are pretty safe".

"Around 1988 I read Gerhard Volkheimer's persorption article, and after doing some experiments with tortillas and masa, I stopped eating all starch except for those, then eventually I stopped those. Besides grains of starch entering the blood stream, lymph, and cerebral spinal fluid, starch feeds bacteria, increasing endotoxin and serotonin".

whitnatchee

What about eating hot peppers? those will heat you up! What about inflammation, from eating nightshades, potatoes, peppers etc?
My wife and some friends always have a hot drink after a meal like coffee or tea. Do those warm you up?
What about fats? I am trying for 25% fats in my diet. Not enough? Not warming?

4peatssake

jag2594 said:
This is way to limiting, coconut oil is used when you eat high pufa. Ray doesn't used coconut oil anymore because he doesn't eat alot of pufa.
Can you cite a reference for this please? I am not aware that he has stopped using coconut oil and find that very surprising given all he has said about its benefits.

Ray Peat said:
Although I had stopped using the unsaturated seed oils years ago, and supposed that I wasn't heavily saturated with toxic unsaturated fat, when I first used coconut oil I saw an immediate response, that convinced me my metabolism was chronically inhibited by something that was easily alleviated by "dilution" or molecular competition. I had put a tablespoonful of coconut oil on some rice I had for supper, and half an hour later while I was reading, I noticed I was breathing more deeply than normal. I saw that my skin was pink, and I found that my pulse was faster than normal--about 98, I think. After an hour or two, my pulse and breathing returned to normal. Every day for a couple of weeks I noticed the same response while I was digesting a small amount of coconut oil, but gradually it didn't happen any more, and I increased my daily consumption of the oil to about an ounce. I kept eating the same foods as before (including a quart of ice cream every day), except that I added about 200 or 250 calories per day as coconut oil. Apparently the metabolic surges that happened at first were an indication that my body was compensating for an anti-thyroid substance by producing more thyroid hormone; when the coconut oil relieved the inhibition, I experienced a moment of slight hyperthyroidism, but after a time the inhibitor became less effective, and my body adjusted by producing slightly less thyroid hormone. But over the next few months, I saw that my weight was slowly and consistently decreasing. It had been steady at 185 pounds for 25 years, but over a period of six months it dropped to about 175 pounds. I found that eating more coconut oil lowered my weight another few pounds, and eating less caused it to increase.

The anti-obesity effect of coconut oil is clear in all of the animal studies, and in my friends who eat it regularly.
Coconut Oil

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals