Protein High In Glycine And/or Taurine May Prevent Obesity

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study tried to prevent obesity in rodents fed a very fattening diet, so this should be helpful for people trying to lose weight. Both amino acids are in the list of Peat-approved, and one of the richest sources is apparently scallops. Since scallops is considered shellfish I guess it would also fall under the Peat-approved foods, even though I have not seen him mention scallops anywhere in his articles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24658997

"...Dietary intake of taurine and glycine correlated negatively with body mass gain and total fat mass, while intake of all other amino acids correlated positively. Furthermore taurine and glycine intake correlated positively with improved plasma lipid profile, i.e., lower levels of plasma lipids and higher HDL-to-total-cholesterol ratio. In conclusion, dietary scallop protein completely prevents high-fat, high-sucrose-induced obesity whilst maintaining lean body mass and improving the plasma lipid profile in male C57BL/6J mice."

Philomath

Nice. Scallops are one of the few shell fish that I like

From RP. Gelatin, Stress and Longevity

"In the context of the excitatory actions of estrogen, and the inhibitory action of glycine, it would be reasonable to think of glycine as one of the antiestrogenic substances. Another type of amino acid, taurine, is structurally similar to glycine (and to beta amino propanoic acid, and to GABA), and it can be thought of as antiestrogenic in this context. "

superhuman

lovely as always haidut. How much did they take? and did they eat the same amount of calories and was the calories in excess ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
superhuman said:
lovely as always haidut. How much did they take? and did they eat the same amount of calories and was the calories in excess ?

I have attached a screenshot with the breakdown of taurine and glycine in the diet. The most slimming diet (scallops) provided glycine and taurine that are equivalent to a human intake of ~15g glycine per day and ~22g of taurine per day. The mice did eat extra calories, I think about 3 times their daily allowance.

Attachments

• taurine_glycine_diet.png
    taurine_glycine_diet.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 2,431

superhuman

haidut said:
superhuman said:

I have attached a screenshot with the breakdown of taurine and glycine in the diet. The most slimming diet (scallops) provided glycine and taurine that are equivalent to a human intake of ~15g glycine per day and ~22g of taurine per day. The mice did eat extra calories, I think about 3 times their daily allowance.

holy ***t, without fat gain?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
superhuman said:
haidut said:
superhuman said:

holy s***, without fat gain?

Yep, I that's what the study says - no statistically significant fat gain over controls. Btw, with those dosages of taurine and glycine you will be sedated to the point of sleeping for 16-18 hours a day, so not much time left to eat and get fat:)

superhuman

haidut said:
superhuman said:
haidut said:
superhuman said:

Yep, I that's what the study says - no statistically significant fat gain over controls. Btw, with those dosages of taurine and glycine you will be sedated to the point of sleeping for 16-18 hours a day, so not much time left to eat and get fat:)

Hmm why does one get sedated? I dont feel its that much?

4peatssake

haidut said:
Since scallops is considered shellfish I guess it would also fall under the Peat-approved foods, even though I have not seen him mention scallops anywhere in his articles.
Yes, Peat approved! I looked it up specifically a long time ago as scallops are among my favorite shellfish, second only to lobster. I grew up in Nova Scotia. ;)

Ray Peat said:
Eating low-fat seafood (sole, whitefish, turbot, scallops, oysters, lobster, shrimp, squid, etc.) once in a while can provide useful trace minerals, without much risk. However, fish from some parts of the ocean contain industrial contaminants in the fat, and large fish such as tuna, swordfish, Chilean sea bass and halibut contain toxic amounts of mercury in the muscles. Chilean sea bass (Patagonian toothfish) is very high in fat, too.
Fats and Degeneration

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
superhuman said:
haidut said:
superhuman said:
haidut said:
superhuman said:

Hmm why does one get sedated? I dont feel its that much?

Have you taken 15g+ of taurine and combine it with 20g+ of glycine? Preferably in one dose? The levels of GABA in the brain will probably increase several fold over 5-10 hours, especially due to taurine longer action. I have taken 15g of taurine at once and it knocks me out, as it does some animal models as well. That said, individual variations are huge so don't sweat it if it does not sedate you:)

superhuman

Haidut: no i havent but is there benefits in taking 5-10g of each every day? Say in a shake with a meal? I dont eat meat etc so i have good amino acid profile

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
superhuman said:
Haidut: no i havent but is there benefits in taking 5-10g of each every day? Say in a shake with a meal? I dont eat meat etc so i have good amino acid profile

I think this is what Ray recommends. He emailed somebody that 2g-3g of taurine is what he thinks is OK. Same for glycine, even though when you eat gelatin you usually get more than 2g-3g of glycine. I only took 15g of taurine a day for one month and to fix blood pressure issues. Most people probably don't need more than 5g a day.

aquaman

haidut said:
Btw, with those dosages of taurine and glycine you will be sedated to the point of sleeping for 16-18 hours a day, so not much time left to eat and get fat:)

in another post you mention 5-7gs of Taurine I believe when you did your Testosterone experiment - did you notice the sleepy effects from this dose?

aguilaroja

aquaman said:
in another post you mention 5-7gs of Taurine I believe when you did your Testosterone experiment - did you notice the sleepy effects from this dose?

FWIW, after forum discussions, I re-experimented with taurine. AM taurine amounts upwards of a few grams were fairly sedating. This was consistent even with very ample caffeine, and even when combining taurine with generous amounts of food source protein.

Taking larger amounts of taurine late in the day was possible without "hangover" of prolonged sedation the following morning.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
aquaman said:
haidut said:
Btw, with those dosages of taurine and glycine you will be sedated to the point of sleeping for 16-18 hours a day, so not much time left to eat and get fat:)

Yes, as aquilaroja said in his last post, I also got sedated at 5g+ of taurine. It gave me the feeling of being kind of drunk - i.e. not just sleepy but with some discoordination and and dizziness as well. I would only take it at night.

calamity jane

Can someone tell me if they had success reducing blood pressure on 15g Taurine a day as per Ray Peats advice, & if so how & when did you take it? Any side effects?

Peatri Dish

The taurine and glycine are on order. I'll post any miracles...
I love sleep! I'm hoping for a new "sleep those pounds away!" Program!

jaa

calamity jane said:
Can someone tell me if they had success reducing blood pressure on 15g Taurine a day as per Ray Peats advice, & if so how & when did you take it? Any side effects?

I did not measure bp while on 15g/Taurine per day. I do notice that at the beginning of my Taurine supplementing protocol, I feel happier and less stressed. This effect diminishes (becomes baseline?) after a few weeks at which point I stop supplementing for 4 - 6 months.

Dutchie

Ewlevy1 said:
Which foods have the highest amount of taurine?

If I recall correctly cheese , yoghurt,whole milk and chocolate are very high on the list.

pboy

bile acids are primarily made from conjugated taurine and glycine, I wonder if the high amount allows the liver to dump more effectively, id suspect so

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals