Do you feel best on A) "normal" 3x meals of meat/starch/veggies or B) "Peat style" no starch milk/meat/fruit diet?

Do you feel best eating A) meat/starch/veggies or B) "Peat" no starch milk/meat/fruit diet?

• A) "Normal diet" with 3-4x daily meals of meat, starch (white rice/potatoes), veggies

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • B) "Peat style diet" no starch - milk, meat, fruit, honey grazing type diet

Votes: 42 51.2%

• Total voters
OP
Korven

Korven

A low-fat dairy, fruit, honey type diet works best for me, but I prefer 3 large meals and snacking in between. I tolerate starch but not as much as fruit and honey and I stopped craving it long ago. Same with veggies—I never crave them, but I crave milk like crazy so I figure I’m just getting my veggies via the milk.

Never thought of it that way... milk is basically veggies/grass distilled into a highly bioavailable nutrient-dense concentrate, without any gut-irritating fiber. Recently discovered I've grown 1.5 cm taller since drinking more milk, so I think it's definitely a superfood! ????

Whole Jersey milk, fruit, honey, eggs, beef/lamb, feta cheese, bone broth and mushrooms works well for me as baseline. Haven’t had starch in quite a while now a don’t crave it at all anymore.

4 biggish meals, no snacking in between. I stick to a roughly 12 hour eating window as that helps my sleep, not eating a couple of hours before bed helps too. I make sure I get enough fat (extra from cocoa butter) and protein during the early part of day (breakfast like a king) and supplement magnesium and B1, with nutritional yeast for extra B vitamins.

No coffee. I suspect that could be an issue for many who cut out starch and rely on fruit/sugar, especially if they don’t get enough fat. It definitely screws me up whenever I add it back.

Nice! My diet is very similar to yours, I try to focus on calorie dense foods such as whole milk, raw honey and meat. For me whole (unhomogenized) milk is essential for blood sugar regulation and being able to last hours between meals. And overall it's just a great anti-stress food. I would love to drink raw A2 jersey milk all day long but unfortunately it's really quite expensive where I live :(

Getting on NDT has also helped quite a bit with maintaining stable blood sugars on a zero starch diet. Also better stress resilience and energy levels.

M

metabolizm

Whole Jersey milk, fruit, honey, eggs, beef/lamb, feta cheese, bone broth and mushrooms works well for me as baseline. Haven’t had starch in quite a while now a don’t crave it at all anymore.

4 biggish meals, no snacking in between. I stick to a roughly 12 hour eating window as that helps my sleep, not eating a couple of hours before bed helps too. I make sure I get enough fat (extra from cocoa butter) and protein during the early part of day (breakfast like a king) and supplement magnesium and B1, with nutritional yeast for extra B vitamins.

No coffee. I suspect that could be an issue for many who cut out starch and rely on fruit/sugar, especially if they don’t get enough fat. It definitely screws me up whenever I add it back.

Why do you go for the Jersey milk? Is it easier to digest? (Incidentally, since we're both in the UK, which brand do you favour?)

youngsinatra

I eat 5 big meals with white rice + either lean ground beef or whole eggs or fish. On the side I love a glass of clementine juice.
Sometimes I add some low-FODMAP veggies to the mix.

I need a lot of salt to feel good. When I salt to taste I consume around 1 tsp of salt per meal (5 tsp daily in total).
Starch seems like the best vehicle for salt.

Reducing starches never worked for me personally, because I eat around 4000 calories for maintenance and getting that much sugar in just seems extreme. I also does not really like the taste for sugary things, except natural juices and some fruits.

S-VV

I am curious to hear what people here respond best to.

Personally my CFS symptoms are way, way better on a strict "Peat" diet of milk, meat and fruits/honey with very little fiber, but downsides are that I have an extremely hard time gaining weight and my bowel movements are not perfect. Also doesn't seem to be the best diet for liver health with all the fructose and dietary fat. Also after a few weeks of eating this way I start getting some strong cravings for "proper" filling meals with starch, meat, vegetables and salt. Though any time I try going back to a meat and rice type of diet my health starts deteriorating again so I don't really have a choice.
Same. Starch wrecks me bad, but its so warming and filling. Also, sugar quickly stops tasting “good”, contrary to what mainstream “muh addictive sugar” says.

tara

Not quite either.
I not found a way to run well on any milk or too much sugar (refined or fruit etc).
I do better on meals that include starchy foods (eg potatoes, rice) along with protein (eg legumes and or meat/fish/eggs) and veges (variety including greens, onions, roots, fruit veges ...). I eat fruit regularly too, and some baked goods, mostly home made so I can pick what goes into them.
Have not managed to make it work on 3 meals a day either way. Snacks or just more meals required.

Sefton10

Why do you go for the Jersey milk? Is it easier to digest? (Incidentally, since we're both in the UK, which brand do you favour?)
I wanted to try A2 dairy for a consistent period of time. I used to get raw goat milk delivered but it's just too expensive and I much prefer the taste of cow's milk, especially when heated. I found a farm local to me selling unhomogenised Jersey milk direct from the farm. They do fresh eggs and cheese too so it's really handy to go a couple of times a week. I do find it digests better for me, it's much more warming than the Graham's organic milk I used to get in the supermarket. In that sense it just feels a bit more metabolic to me. For £1.50 a litre in a glass bottle I think it's good value and I like keeping my money in the local food supply when I can.

Jam

I find adding a bit of starch to moderate-high protein meals works great. The trick, for me, is to not add too much (< 50g of starch). As long as the meal follows my usual 25p/45c/30f ratio, and the majority of carbs are from fruit, milk, and honey/sugar, a bit of starch, even bread or pasta, doesn't bloat me and adds a good bit of b vitamins.

faisman

I have tried to cut out starch recently, and significantly upped my sugar intake. Problem is I got a nasty white coated tongue. I don't know what this is, but this is not a good sign. Eating starch again and cutting out the sugar eliminates the white tongue. I don't know why sugar seems to cause this. Maybe it's because lower sodium intake and higher water intake when I'm not eating starch. Starches are a good vehicle for sodium after all. That's a benefit of starch, that it has a high sodium and low water content which is pro-thyroid.
Yes Im also still trying to figure out why this happens on high sugar no starch. Its definitely indicative of something to do with digestion and the gut.

Mine isnt so bad but still feels not right.
Some days it completely disappears but I can’t pinpoint why it happens. On those days though digestion generally seems better too.

Last edited:

Vileplume

For me whole (unhomogenized) milk is essential for blood sugar regulation and being able to last hours between meals. And overall it's just a great anti-stress food
So you noticed more blood sugar problems with consuming low fat milk as opposed to whole?

Vileplume

Have you noticed that you feel better with no snacks, as opposed to snacking?

OP
Korven

Korven

Same. Starch wrecks me bad, but its so warming and filling. Also, sugar quickly stops tasting “good”, contrary to what mainstream “muh addictive sugar” says.

So true, sugar is the least addictive substance for me, I just eat until I've had enough sweet. Sourdough bread w/butter on the other hand is like crack, can't stop eating it.

So you noticed more blood sugar problems with consuming low fat milk as opposed to whole?

To be fair I've never tried drinking low fat milk because where I live it's all homogenized + has added vitamins which concerns me. But I do great on whole milk and I notice that whenever I go too low in fat on a zero starch diet I get adrenaline/jittery kind of symptoms. And it makes it difficult for me to get enough calories.

On a meat and rice diet I can go low fat and last many, many hours between meals without any hypoglycemic stress reaction. That's what appealing about starch for me (but my body still hates it lol).

@Waremu had it all figured out. Raw goat milk/jersey A2 milk, fresh squeezed OJ/honeydew melon juice, liver, oysters, some lean ground beef, lots of coffee.

Jennifer

Never thought of it that way... milk is basically veggies/grass distilled into a highly bioavailable nutrient-dense concentrate, without any gut-irritating fiber. Recently discovered I've grown 1.5 cm taller since drinking more milk, so I think it's definitely a superfood! ????

Totally! The superfood title often goes to kale but for me, it belongs to dairy. That’s awesome that you grew! I grew 1.27 cm the first year I fractured and was following a dairy-based ancestral diet. I couldn’t get enough of dairy then, either. Next month will make a year that my diet has been dairy-based again so I’ll have to get the tape measure out and see if I’ve grown any.?

Vileplume

So true, sugar is the least addictive substance for me, I just eat until I've had enough sweet. Sourdough bread w/butter on the other hand is like crack, can't stop eating it.

To be fair I've never tried drinking low fat milk because where I live it's all homogenized + has added vitamins which concerns me. But I do great on whole milk and I notice that whenever I go too low in fat on a zero starch diet I get adrenaline/jittery kind of symptoms. And it makes it difficult for me to get enough calories.

On a meat and rice diet I can go low fat and last many, many hours between meals without any hypoglycemic stress reaction. That's what appealing about starch for me (but my body still hates it lol).

@Waremu had it all figured out. Raw goat milk/jersey A2 milk, fresh squeezed OJ/honeydew melon juice, liver, oysters, some lean ground beef, lots of coffee.
Thanks for the reply and information! My blood sugar has been wonky lately, like I need to eat fruit all day long or I get a stress reaction. It never used to be like this when I ate a standard diet with lots of starch and green veggies, but I felt shitty before anyway (just with different symptoms) so I'm not necessarily that much worse off. I'm soon switching from vitamin-added low fat milk to raw goat milk -- I'm hopeful it will help with the blood sugar!

when i massively push the milk + juice as the two main staples, i quickly lose sense of my cravings. i don't know if i'm hungry, thirsty, want salt, want protein etc.
I feel the same gaze. If I start my day with orange juice, gelatin and milk I have no desire for meatier any other heavy foods.

I am curious to hear what people here respond best to.

Personally my CFS symptoms are way, way better on a strict "Peat" diet of milk, meat and fruits/honey with very little fiber, but downsides are that I have an extremely hard time gaining weight and my bowel movements are not perfect. Also doesn't seem to be the best diet for liver health with all the fructose and dietary fat. Also after a few weeks of eating this way I start getting some strong cravings for "proper" filling meals with starch, meat, vegetables and salt. Though any time I try going back to a meat and rice type of diet my health starts deteriorating again so I don't really have a choice.
I can't say I have figured out what foods are optimal for me quite yet. Meats with veggies, beans, olive oil and berries, minus dairy felt easier to do aka BloidcType Diet. Those foods were more satiating, and in the beginning made me look better, but went downhill after the first year. On the otherhand, "Peating"was harder to do in the beginning, without starch and too many liquids, and though I am still constantly starting over, taking out something and adding in something new, 4.5 years later I look and feel better.

Sefton10

Have you noticed that you feel better with no snacks, as opposed to snacking?

Definitely, I think that time for digestion to happen between meals is important.

But I do great on whole milk and I notice that whenever I go too low in fat on a zero starch diet I get adrenaline/jittery kind of symptoms.
Thanks for the reply and information! My blood sugar has been wonky lately, like I need to eat fruit all day long or I get a stress reaction.
Without starch the fat is key. I don’t do as well on coconut oil and refined animal fats like tallow but dairy fat and cocoa butter/chocolate work really well for satiation and a sense of calmness rather than that jittery/adrenalised feeling.

Jennifer

I'm soon switching from vitamin-added low fat milk to raw goat milk -- I'm hopeful it will help with the blood sugar!

I’m keeping my fingers crossed it treats you well. :)

On the otherhand, "Peating"was harder to do in the beginning,

For me, too. My experience with “Peating” the first time around wasn’t so pretty.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed it treats you well. :)

For me, too. My experience with “Peating” the first time around wasn’t so pretty.
Yeah a lot of PUFA dumping in the beginning, and taking a good thing a little too far, aka ice cream ?

Jennifer

Yeah a lot of PUFA dumping in the beginning, and taking a good thing a little too far, aka ice cream ?

Haha! I had a slight addiction to mango ice cream during that time—I ate a full 1.5 qt container of it daily—and I have no regrets! :happy:

So many great resources on this forum.

Absolutely!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals