Dietitians Are Taught to Promote a Certain Amount of Starch in the Diet

Amazoniac

Each day I become more tempted to try this approach.
Even though I have no problems whatsoever with starches or my current diet but I'm curious about how I would respond to a very different diet: no starches and a lot of skimmed dairy with fruits, which is just the opposite of what I do today.

Edit: I tried that before but they were isolated and it wasn't a good outcome. Perhaps combining makes the difference..

sugar daddy

After seeing this thread I've decided to cut the starches out as well.

must say that I'm feeling a bit less congested and better digestion, only 1 week in but feels pretty good. : :cool:

Starting to think RP might actually be right on all fronts!

Amazoniac

I'm not sure if it's the other way around: those who noticed benefits from cutting the starches might be due to poor gut health. And many members here came from a very low-carb background..
One aspect that I think is worth mentioning is that I think if your energy comes mostly from carbs, it might be better to derive those calories from fruit and some starch. Because it's easy to overdo starches, and I think that even for people with healthy guts it can be too much and cause problems.

narouz

In my experience
the shift to a starchless diet was quite a challenge.
A big part of the challenge had to do with habit and with a very ingrained experience of satiety and ritual.

Eating a Meal, and more intensely Sharing a Meal, is a big ritual for most people (let's say in USA).
When one switches to a starch-free diet
the result for me
was more or less a disconnection from the familiar pattern of meals and shared meals.

This was because I found I needed to go to eating a lot of little snack-type feedings.
As I've joked before,
hard to get most of your friends all excited to come over
and chow down on some orange juice and cottage cheese.

Now, you can try to get around this by centering meals--
in the familiar sense--
around meats and/or seafood.
But imo this is not Peatian either--
more like Paleo or other low-carb variants.

Simply put, the switch to a low starch diet, for me,
necessitated a change in my experience of ritual, and shared ritual.
Even setting aside the "shared" aspect,
even just by myself,
when I would come home after work,
it was hard for me to reinvent my way around the need to experience that Time
as a time for a Meal.
Not a time for just a mango and some cheese (say). :D

So that's the "ritual" aspect.

Then there is the chemical and body experience aspect:
what we're accustomed to experiencing as satiating.
Think baked potato w/ butter or large amounts of rice or fill in the blank with some kind of starch.
Or think big piles of pasta.
Or think big steaks or lots of shrimp and fish or whatever--the Paleo or low-carb experience.
The belly feels full.
The mouth does some chewing.
And the meal Takes Some Time, simply.
Other, non-Peatians, would be more likely to want to join you.
If you drink some OJ and eat a few pieces of cheese, say,
that hardly requires you to even sit down.
That goes back to the experience of ritual: it Involves Some Passage of Time.

This is a big part of why I've always argued that switching to a truly optimal Peat diet
will be a very challenging thing for most people.
It is not the ultimately delicious,
varied, sensual, intuitive, natural, easy diet often portrayed in these parts at all, imo.

And when you think about it,
Peat never really advertises it as such.
Those glosses are our own additions, spins.

Amazoniac

But the convenience would be more than welcomed considering the hectic rush of most people's lives. There's no way to get easier than that without getting worse. And if they knew how it feels like on the other side of the force, I think they'll be willing to trade that off without regrets.
For some reason, when I write something like crossing to the other side, what comes to my mind is the figure of pboy with a choir of angels at the background.

EIRE24

sugar daddy said:
After seeing this thread I've decided to cut the starches out as well.

must say that I'm feeling a bit less congested and better digestion, only 1 week in but feels pretty good. : :cool:

Starting to think RP might actually be right on all fronts!

So what does your diet look like without starches in it?

narouz

Amazoniac said:
But the convenience would be more than welcomed considering the hectic rush of most people's lives. There's no way to get easier than that without getting worse. And if they knew how it feels like on the other side of the force, I think they'll be willing to trade that off without regrets.
For some reason, when I write something like crossing to the other side, what comes to my mind is the figure of pboy with a choir of angels at the background.

pboy, to me, is someone who has made the transitions I spoke of above.
He is not strictly Peatian,
but...my guess is he gets a lot of the main stuff right,
with certain exceptions.

BTW, I'm not arguing here that Peat is right.
Just trying to represent as transparently and faithfully as possible
some of the key features of an optimal Peat diet
as expressed by Peat.

YuraCZ

narouz said:
In my experience
the shift to a starchless diet was quite a challenge.
A big part of the challenge had to do with habit and with a very ingrained experience of satiety and ritual.

Eating a Meal, and more intensely Sharing a Meal, is a big ritual for most people (let's say in USA).
When one switches to a starch-free diet
the result for me
was more or less a disconnection from the familiar pattern of meals and shared meals.

This was because I found I needed to go to eating a lot of little snack-type feedings.
As I've joked before,
hard to get most of your friends all excited to come over
and chow down on some orange juice and cottage cheese.

Now, you can try to get around this by centering meals--
in the familiar sense--
around meats and/or seafood.
But imo this is not Peatian either--
more like Paleo or other low-carb variants.

Simply put, the switch to a low starch diet, for me,
necessitated a change in my experience of ritual, and shared ritual.
Even setting aside the "shared" aspect,
even just by myself,
when I would come home after work,
it was hard for me to reinvent my way around the need to experience that Time
as a time for a Meal.
Not a time for just a mango and some cheese (say). :D

So that's the "ritual" aspect.

Then there is the chemical and body experience aspect:
what we're accustomed to experiencing as satiating.
Think baked potato w/ butter or large amounts of rice or fill in the blank with some kind of starch.
Or think big piles of pasta.
Or think big steaks or lots of shrimp and fish or whatever--the Paleo or low-carb experience.
The belly feels full.
The mouth does some chewing.
And the meal Takes Some Time, simply.
Other, non-Peatians, would be more likely to want to join you.
If you drink some OJ and eat a few pieces of cheese, say,
that hardly requires you to even sit down.
That goes more back to the experience of ritual: it Involves Some Passage of Time.

This is a big part of why I've always argued that switching to a truly optimal Peat diet
will be a very challenging thing for most people.
It is not the ultimately delicious,
varied, sensual, intuitive, natural, easy progression often constructed in these parts at all, imo.

And when you think about it,
Peat never really advertises it as such.
Those glosses are our own additions, spins.
Nice post narouz. ;) For me. When I started with Peat I tried incorporate all typical foods like 2L of milk 1L of OJ, no starch etc.. But after a month I realize that this is not for me. I do better with more complex carbs and with some meat. I just need solid meals instead of just too much fluids and I love cheese or dried fruits, but I can't tolerate these due to histamine intolerance. So for me white rice with turkey breasts or liver or eggs or some collagen, cod or whatever. Simply low PUFA and good proteins/nutrients at the same time. This 3 times a day + carrot salad and coffee with sugar, milk and glycine between meals. And of course all important things like vit k2, aspirin, vit E, B complex, selenium, zinc, low PUFA, coconut oil, activated charcoal, progesterone..

YuraCZ

I am sorry for my bad English.. :fullmoon
and "good proteins" I mean full amino spectrum.. :bigreddoublebirdie :wink:

narouz

Amazoniac said:
But the convenience would be more than welcomed considering the hectic rush of most people's lives.

Well, experience will tell.
I think there is a reason we don't see most Americans
ecstatically dropping their meals together and rushing towards fruit & dairy based snacking.

Amazoniac said:
There's no way to get easier than that without getting worse.

Well, possibly.
Depends what one experiences as "easier."
IMO, most will not experience an optimal Peat diet as "easier."
Maybe some will strictly in the sense of time to fix,
although even there some will argue:
hey, much easier to order a pizza!

But throw in considerations like satiety, satisfaction, comfort, sensuality, variety, etc...
my opinion is that most by far will not find it an easy diet.

Amazoniac said:
And if they knew how it feels like on the other side of the force, I think they'll be willing to trade that off without regrets.

True, perhaps.
But they won't be able to know that.
Not trying to be negative about it.
But I think this is an obvious truth.

Amazoniac

narouz

narouz

Amazoniac said:
By the way narouz. Not that your posts weren't great, but they are definitely getting smarter and better. My opinion!

Edit: nothing to do with that last one..

Thanks, but it's not me.
Just the meth blue.

pboy

lol

I know what you mean narouz, the going away from meals in that sense is a big thing, but I almost see it as dumping training wheels. Its true I don't eat sit down meals, 5-7 times a day I spend maybe 15 minutes getting in something pretty quick, and I guess im kinda full but not in the baked potato loaded kinda way, more just liquid volume. Its easier for me cause im just myself, no family, spouse, kids to cook or and other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if kids would like a Peat style approach, they usually don't like sitting too long for a meal...cause they're so excited to live. That is something I noticed by not having starches or dense meals...it kind of makes you learn to live, because theres never that comfortably satiated to kind of just lay back feeling, not until dark and melatonin has kicked in naturally. I still cant say though starches have no role, many draw backs, but theres actually situations people might find themselves in where the quickest way back to balance might be starches, specific to situation. I kind of...I see all food as herbs in a sense, like everything is about becoming strong whilst in balance, nourished...and each food is like a tool with various aspects and drawbacks or things that need to be accounted for. Promoting every day, 8-12 starch servings, especially cereals, is absolutely uncalled for and surely would throw anyone out of balance quick...its not like people are going to balance every one of those servings with vegetables and fruit and like...making sure theyre fresh and other things. If anything I could see starch a couple times a week..maybe smash them in if you are way hypotonic in fluid and need to recover that, but yea, I think mastering a routine without the use of starches, using other things to stay balanced, and never getting to a point where starch would actually be a benefit is the best. It takes a little bit of time and error to get it down. And its kind of expensive but to me worth it. I think if you were to like...have your circadian rythmn down really well, sleep schedule, and live a pretty healthy life and ate enough to have good thyroid and energy, starches at night wouldn't be the worse thing at all. To eat them during the day when you need to function and perform at best I cant see them as advantageous at all, unless you were in a particular state where density and/or soluble fiber was needed. Soluble fiber is bad for the gut but also is the biggest thing to remove bile waste like estrogen and other toxins so I could see an occasional load on that a decent thing. One carrot has like 2g fiber and a large sweet potato like 16-17 soluble, so its a big difference. Its not pleasant or optimal at all...but I just have to give perspective on the situation in terms of how things might have a role. And again...with the time for a meal, meal as a ritual, your whole perspective can change when you stop doing that...not that that's a bad thing, but its...I think in some way seretonergic, like its a way to temp numb while still having the feeling of having done something positive (digesting a rich meal). Its similar to like someone who drinks wine or beer at the end of the day, just a way to relax and all that. That in itself is fine, but at the cost of health, its not ideal...I tend to like to be preparing always for the next day, during the current day, so I never set myself up with those situations where its like, its good now, but will be bad tomorrow...if its not good now and ok for tomorrow, I don't wanna do it

narouz

pboy can relied upon for sane commentary.

I sometimes wonder what a typical pboy day's eating looks like.
And his ashram.
What that's like....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals