Rheumatoid Arthritis Managed With Fruit And Protein Diet

I was using up to 80 000 units. I know it is not much in Coimbra's world, but I was afraid to use more on my own.
I only tested vit D levels after 3 or 4 moths from stopping and it was 48. I did not test PTH.
A couple of years of years ago, I was using 10000 iu a day of vitamin D and I was getting kidney pain very often. Nowadays I use 5000 iu on my skin, of which just 20% gets absorbed, so it's like I'm using 1000 iu orally. So far no kidney pain anymore.

burtlancast

I was using up to 80 000 units. I know it is not much in Coimbra's world, but I was afraid to use more on my own.
I only tested vit D levels after 3 or 4 moths from stopping and it was 48. I did not test PTH.

Did you notice an improvement on this daily 80000 units ? Does it match your weight (the protocol calls for roughly 1000 units/kg) ?
Or it made no difference at all (besides your falling hair) ?

Last edited:
OP
A

Ania

@Ania
I have been following this diet for almost 2 years now. I came to the same conclusion as you, we are apes that evolved to eat meat, so a fruit/ juice based diet with some fat and some protein (i use mainly beef and shellfish). I also havent had starch for these two years as well and have felt much better without any bloating or issues. I have a few posts on the forum detailing my experiences and my theories behind it if your interested.

@Dino D
Try fruit juice instead of fruit, i had issues with fruit at first as well as issues with OJ. I switched to grape juice and pineapple juice and am doing much better.

@charlie
I’m not sure the issue is vit A as much as it is the effects of some of the foods containing vit A. I still consume vit A in the form of liver and I feel pretty great overall, but i do have issues with milk, sometimes eggs, and orange carrots in large quantities.
Hi CLASH,
It is fantastic to hear you are 2 years on this diet and still doing great. It gives me hope that I can safely carry on. Did you decsribe you experience in one thread? I will read about your experience with interest.

OP
A

Ania

what a great post. super interesting. i bet the multiple doses of antibootics killed your gut - and i wonder if you were taking the evil Cipro one. i join you on thinking that meat and sugar really work. i was able to add back in dairy after TONS colon cleansing / detox and ( hate to say it ) probiotics. you might want to try A2 dairy if you want to give it a go again, worked for me.
Thank you for kind words.
There is no such thing as A2 milk in Poland. Who knows, maybe one day I will be able to reintroduce milk. I'd love that.
Why do you call the Cypro evil? I forgot to mention that at the same time when my first joint pain occured (30 years ago),
I also started having chronic idiopatic urticaria. It was not coincidence, I believe. It was just another systemic manifestation of one condition. Since then I am on antihistamines on and off. I take 1 mg of cypro every second day. Unfortunately, urticaria was not resolved by this diet. At least not yet. I prefer cypro than other antihistamines. When I was taking Zyrtec, I needed at least 10 mg.

moss

I feel great, energetic and happy. I wanted to share my story. Maybe it might be helpful for someone.
Sorry for it be so long and chaotic. There are so many more details, but it would become a book rather than a post. Also, forgive me my English, I did my best.
A great write up and I love the simplicity of your post. Fruit, meat and seafood with profound benefits for you. A tolerance for these foods, and I think in some cases of AI, a tolerance to oneself too.

OP
A

Ania

what a great post. super interesting. i bet the multiple doses of antibootics killed your gut - and i wonder if you were taking the evil Cipro one. i join you on thinking that meat and sugar really work. i was able to add back in dairy after TONS colon cleansing / detox and ( hate to say it ) probiotics. you might want to try A2 dairy if you want to give it a go again, worked for me.
Oh, sorry. You meant cipro , not cypro - the group of antibiotcs. My mistake. As far as I remember I never took them.

OP
A

Ania

This is basically what I'm doing: fruit juice and meat. Pretty much the only difference is that I use a lot of white sugar for calories and also I eat a little bit of potatoes( only 100 grams per day) and some parsley. I also got to the conclusion that starch is something to be careful with, my endotoxin production really skyrockets when I eat a lot of starch, which means bad mood, constipation and just an overall bad feeling throughout the whole day.
Yes, I think that elimination of starch can make a huge difference to some people. I do use white sugar ocasionally. I lovr it in my tea, I just can't use any sybstance twice or more daily.

OP
A

Ania

Did you notice an improvement on this daily 80000 units ? Does it match your weight (the protocol calls for roughly 1000 units/kg) ?
Or it made no difference at all (besides your falling hair) ?
Actually, I didn't notice any difference. No improvement. That is why I stopped. I was not motivated to continue. If I ever decide to try it again, I will definitely find a doctor. I am 50 kg, so it was more than 1000/kg. Some Coimbra patients take as much as 700-800 000 units.

OP
A

Ania

A great write up and I love the simplicity of your post. Fruit, meat and seafood with profound benefits for you. A tolerance for these foods, and I think in some cases of AI, a tolerance to oneself too.
Thanks,
Sometime the road to the simplest solutions is very complicated. You are right about tolerance to oneself. I've noticed many benefits when it comes to my psychological condition. I am calmer, more tolerant, I don't make much drama. I feel better with myself.

burtlancast

Actually, I didn't notice any difference. No improvement. That is why I stopped. I was not motivated to continue. If I ever decide to try it again, I will definitely find a doctor. I am 50 kg, so it was more than 1000/kg. Some Coimbra patients take as much as 700-800 000 units.

Thanks for the input.

Did you attempt in your experiment to supplement with other vitamins and minerals, as advised in the official protocol ( magnesium, Vit B, ...) ?

OP
A

Ania

Thanks for the input.

Did you attempt in your experiment to supplement with other vitamins and minerals, as advised in the official protocol ( magnesium, Vit B, ...) ?
I took magnesium, B complex and K2.

Simba1992

Gelatin can cause severe problems for people with certain types of bacteria in their microbiome. Sometimes the almost universally acclaimed 'healing foods' can be very bad.
Hello Goat-E,
Still around and very confused again. Thought gelatine would save me since gut gives me problems and am afraid I'm not getting enough proteins daily. Had constant neausea for a long time, took a course in doxy and neausea disappeared after this have been supplementing with gelatine powder. What are the bad bacteria gelatine feeds?

Goat-e

Hello Goat-E,
Still around and very confused again. Thought gelatine would save me since gut gives me problems and am afraid I'm not getting enough proteins daily. Had constant neausea for a long time, took a course in doxy and neausea disappeared after this have been supplementing with gelatine powder. What are the bad bacteria gelatine feeds?

I can't remember which types exactly (there's a thread about it on here somewhere but I can't find it just now), but if it doesn't give you symptoms then I wouldn't worry. In my case even small amounts of gelatin in any form result in all sorts of symptoms very quickly so it's clear it's not for me. But many people do well, it's just a matter of finding what works for you.

tomisonbottom

Hi everybody on this forum,

I've been lurking here for a long time. I've decided to write a post about my condition in case it might be useful for some in similar situation. I've suffered from excruciating joint pain since I was. 17 (I am 47 right now). For many years the attacks were occasional. My bloodwork for years didn't show anything wrong. According to the labs I was in perfect health. Several years ago I went paleo for over a year, and during that time I didn't experience a single incidence of joint pain. I thought paleo cured me ( although I started suffering from insomnia) One day I craved good old capuccino. I had 3 cups that day ( first time after more than a year). After 3 days I developed terrible inflammation in my joints. Then I connected the dots. I thought it was either coffee or milk. I waited several days until the inflamation subsided and made a provocation with fresh raw milk.. After 3 days it all started again. The pain was killing me. I landed in hospital for an injection since oral painkillers did noting. The injection didn't help neither. After some time I made another provocation, but this time with goat milk, but the situation repeated : inflamed, swallen joints. It would attack any joints in the whole body - big and small ones : feet, hands, arms, knees, jaw, even pubic bone. Finally I stopped all dairy and was fine for over a year. In the meantime I discovered Ray Peat and his work. I was reading his articles, searching forum, listening to all interviews. I was fascinated. I started implementing many things into my diet (except dairy of course). After some time I developed joint pain again. I was devastated. Since the inflamation stars after 3 days from consumption, it took me 3 months to discover it was carrot this time. I couldn't believe it. Carrot?!!! So I stopped it, and again everything returned to normal... for some time. After some time symptoms came bak. This time it was gelatin. The list of acceptable foods was becoming more and more restricted and the diet became very repetitive, especially if you take into account things unacceptable from Peat's perspective. After long time I discovered the pattern - anything that I ate more than once daily for a period of time was becoming an offending food for me. However, when I realized it, it was already too late. My RA (already officially diagnosed with bloodwork) became chronic. I suffered from constant debiliating pain. No matter how I manipulated my diet, nothing helped. As if I got intolerant to every single food on the earth. The only relief was after appendectomy, when I fasted for 3 days.
As soon as I started eating again, after 3 days symptoms reapeared. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't function. I was terribly depressed. I didn't want a life in constsnt pain. I was suicidal. Finally, i decided that from historical perspective the least offending foods for human beings are fruts and animal protein. So i started a diet made up strictly of all kinds of fruits and meat, fish and seafood. At the beginning nothing changed, but the diet was so friendly, easy and satisfying, that I carried on. I lost my hope for recovery. However, after 3,4 weeks I felt better. I started having days without pain. After about 6 weeks my joint pain subsided. I couldn't believe it. I started this diet in July last year. I am still fine. After some time I reintroduced egg without adverse effects. So now I basically eat fruits, meat, fish, seafood and eggs. I use beef tallow as my fat for preparing my meat or fish. I supplement with some eggshell calcium, K2-mk4 and occasional magnesium glicynate. From time to time I tried to reintroduce things like mushrooms, spinach or potatoes, but each time the symptoms came back. So now I stick to carnivore/frutarian diet. I am totally starch free. I am doing fine. I am grateful for having my life back. The added bonus is that last fall/winter seaon I didn cach any infection first time in my whole life. Noramally I had to go through 2 or 3 courses of antibotics during season. Another bonus is my liver health. Recently I had an ultrasound of my abdomen. The doctor asked what I was doing that I had such a liver.He said that it looked like it was never used at all. Like totally new one. He said he had never seen such liver in a person after 40.
If i had recognized the pattern earlier, I wouln't have gone in such trouble. It would be enough to diversify my diet and not to eat the same food too often. I have no idea if it is revesible. I do not care about it now. I am just happy that I have a painfree life again. I am not cured by any means, i just mange my condition without doctors and killing madications. I believe, there are many people just like me out there, who will not be lucky enough to discover the reason of their debiliating conditions. I think it may concern many of so called "autoimmune diseases. What helped me, doesn't have to help everybody. But it is so easy, safe and quite healthy, that I would give it a try if somebody told me about it in times, when I had no clue what was wrong with me.
I feel great, energetic and happy. I wanted to share my story. Maybe it might be helpful for someone.
Sorry for it be so long and chaotic. There are so many more details, but it would become a book rather than a post. Also, forgive me my English, I did my best. In case someone has questions, I'll be happy to answer.
Ania
K

Thanks for sharing.

So question; even with meat and fruit, are you saying if you eat the same food more than once in a day, you have pain?

OP
A

Ania

Thanks for sharing.

So question; even with meat and fruit, are you saying if you eat the same food more than once in a day, you have pain?
When I eat or even drink the same thing more than once daily for a period of time, about two weeks, I become intolerant to this food. This happened even with coffee. I discovered this pattern far too late. I don't think it will happen to everyone. Far from it, i think it is a unique defect, but I believe I am not the only one in the world.

lexis

Hi everybody on this forum,

I've been lurking here for a long time. I've decided to write a post about my condition in case it might be useful for some in similar situation. I've suffered from excruciating joint pain since I was. 17 (I am 47 right now). For many years the attacks were occasional. My bloodwork for years didn't show anything wrong. According to the labs I was in perfect health. Several years ago I went paleo for over a year, and during that time I didn't experience a single incidence of joint pain. I thought paleo cured me ( although I started suffering from insomnia) One day I craved good old capuccino. I had 3 cups that day ( first time after more than a year). After 3 days I developed terrible inflammation in my joints. Then I connected the dots. I thought it was either coffee or milk. I waited several days until the inflamation subsided and made a provocation with fresh raw milk.. After 3 days it all started again. The pain was killing me. I landed in hospital for an injection since oral painkillers did noting. The injection didn't help neither. After some time I made another provocation, but this time with goat milk, but the situation repeated : inflamed, swallen joints. It would attack any joints in the whole body - big and small ones : feet, hands, arms, knees, jaw, even pubic bone. Finally I stopped all dairy and was fine for over a year. In the meantime I discovered Ray Peat and his work. I was reading his articles, searching forum, listening to all interviews. I was fascinated. I started implementing many things into my diet (except dairy of course). After some time I developed joint pain again. I was devastated. Since the inflamation stars after 3 days from consumption, it took me 3 months to discover it was carrot this time. I couldn't believe it. Carrot?!!! So I stopped it, and again everything returned to normal... for some time. After some time symptoms came bak. This time it was gelatin. The list of acceptable foods was becoming more and more restricted and the diet became very repetitive, especially if you take into account things unacceptable from Peat's perspective. After long time I discovered the pattern - anything that I ate more than once daily for a period of time was becoming an offending food for me. However, when I realized it, it was already too late. My RA (already officially diagnosed with bloodwork) became chronic. I suffered from constant debiliating pain. No matter how I manipulated my diet, nothing helped. As if I got intolerant to every single food on the earth. The only relief was after appendectomy, when I fasted for 3 days.
As soon as I started eating again, after 3 days symptoms reapeared. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't function. I was terribly depressed. I didn't want a life in constsnt pain. I was suicidal. Finally, i decided that from historical perspective the least offending foods for human beings are fruts and animal protein. So i started a diet made up strictly of all kinds of fruits and meat, fish and seafood. At the beginning nothing changed, but the diet was so friendly, easy and satisfying, that I carried on. I lost my hope for recovery. However, after 3,4 weeks I felt better. I started having days without pain. After about 6 weeks my joint pain subsided. I couldn't believe it. I started this diet in July last year. I am still fine. After some time I reintroduced egg without adverse effects. So now I basically eat fruits, meat, fish, seafood and eggs. I use beef tallow as my fat for preparing my meat or fish. I supplement with some eggshell calcium, K2-mk4 and occasional magnesium glicynate. From time to time I tried to reintroduce things like mushrooms, spinach or potatoes, but each time the symptoms came back. So now I stick to carnivore/frutarian diet. I am totally starch free. I am doing fine. I am grateful for having my life back. The added bonus is that last fall/winter seaon I didn cach any infection first time in my whole life. Noramally I had to go through 2 or 3 courses of antibotics during season. Another bonus is my liver health. Recently I had an ultrasound of my abdomen. The doctor asked what I was doing that I had such a liver.He said that it looked like it was never used at all. Like totally new one. He said he had never seen such liver in a person after 40.
If i had recognized the pattern earlier, I wouln't have gone in such trouble. It would be enough to diversify my diet and not to eat the same food too often. I have no idea if it is revesible. I do not care about it now. I am just happy that I have a painfree life again. I am not cured by any means, i just mange my condition without doctors and killing madications. I believe, there are many people just like me out there, who will not be lucky enough to discover the reason of their debiliating conditions. I think it may concern many of so called "autoimmune diseases. What helped me, doesn't have to help everybody. But it is so easy, safe and quite healthy, that I would give it a try if somebody told me about it in times, when I had no clue what was wrong with me.
Sorry for it be so long and chaotic. There are so many more details, but it would become a book rather than a post. Also, forgive me my English, I did my best. In case someone has questions, I'll be happy to answer.
Ania
K
I never had problems digesting fruits. After appendectomy i was not yet on this diet, but since finding Peat fruits were always a big part of my diet. So when I came back home I ate fruits as a part of my daily foods. I think starch was not good for me. I feel much better without it. I believe that my better health and resistance to seasonal infections is strictly connected with elimination of stach and resutling lower endotoxin load. I hope you will find solution that will work for you.

Eating moringa vegetable and its leaves will help you to combat inflammation

nbznj

According to Promethease and 23andme gene testing I’m highly prone to such a disease and it turns out that other genes strongly suggest sticking to a “hunter gatherer” diet because of the absence of a mutation on a glucose transporter (that enables most people to digest starch perfectly fine)

What’s on my menu? Fruits and proteins all day. Glad it worked for ya, it sure feels optimal to me.

OP
A

Ania

According to Promethease and 23andme gene testing I’m highly prone to such a disease and it turns out that other genes strongly suggest sticking to a “hunter gatherer” diet because of the absence of a mutation on a glucose transporter (that enables most people to digest starch perfectly fine)

What’s on my menu? Fruits and proteins all day. Glad it worked for ya, it sure feels optimal to me.
Yes, basically I only eat fruits and animal ptotein except dairy. I eat 2 servings of protein : eggs and meat or fish/seafood.
In the evening I only have fruits. I also supplement eggshell calcium, vit K2, magnesium daily. I can't include veggies, whenever i tried my symptoms returned, so I stopped. It's been almost a year now and I feel like a completely new person. Lack of pain is only one benefit. I have great energy, I am much less stressed, happier, more confident. Life does not feel like a threat anymore, I am much more resistant to everyday adversities. I work out 3 rimes a week.Good luck with your experimentation.

Jib

Very interesting. I'm following a similar diet now. The bulk of my diet is grass-fed ground beef and oranges. Some bananas, some wild blueberries, Medjool dates. Some OJ and pineapple juice too. I do really enjoy seafood and may start having raw oysters regularly again, and plan on adding weekly liver back into my diet as well.

I really enjoy vegetables, but they're a much more minor part of my diet, and irregular in how often I have them, if only for saving some $$$, and for convenience. They're a lot more effort to prepare, and even shop for, and since I shop and cook alone just for myself, it's often too much of a hassle.

I do have dairy fairly regularly, but have backed off pretty heavily lately. I haven't added any supplemental calcium back in but plan on that soon too, to make up for that loss. I use half and half or heavy cream in my coffee, and a bit of shredded cheese with the ground beef (along with a ton of spices), but that's about it for dairy these days. I've already lost some belly fat just by eating more meat/fruit and not eating lots of hard cheese anymore. I love Brie especially but I didn't feel anywhere near as energetic eating a bunch of hard/soft cheeses compared to more meat/fruit. I think the fat intake was just too much and probably messing up my glucose metabolism.

I've noticed pretty consistently that I feel best on a diet high in meat and fruit. I feel like I can actually binge eat oranges if I'm hungry enough and craving them enough, and have done so many times. The funny thing is, I never feel sick afterwards, even if I absolutely stuff myself with oranges. I always just feel energized, stable, and happy, no crash or anything. Sometimes I eat them alongside meat, sometimes by themselves.

Was actually joking with a friend today about how I feel like oranges give me superpowers. It seriously feels that uplifting. I love almost all fruits on the planet but oranges are my favorite. To me it's like they store the energy and happiness of the sunlight within themselves and I feel it when I eat a bunch of them.

And one of the ultimate "desserts" on the planet to me is just plain wild blueberries. I get them frozen and just let them thaw.

I also do pea protein/collagen shakes, with digestive enzymes, and almond milk and banana. Those are excellent and I tolerate them well, and help lighten the load of how much meat I eat every day, which for me is mostly a cost and convenience thing. The pea protein/collagen it convenient and as long as I take enzymes with it, well tolerated.

I usually have the shake as a post workout drink, or even alongside a meal of ...you guessed it, meat and fruit.

OP
A

Ania

Very interesting. I'm following a similar diet now. The bulk of my diet is grass-fed ground beef and oranges. Some bananas, some wild blueberries, Medjool dates. Some OJ and pineapple juice too. I do really enjoy seafood and may start having raw oysters regularly again, and plan on adding weekly liver back into my diet as well.

I really enjoy vegetables, but they're a much more minor part of my diet, and irregular in how often I have them, if only for saving some $$$, and for convenience. They're a lot more effort to prepare, and even shop for, and since I shop and cook alone just for myself, it's often too much of a hassle.

I do have dairy fairly regularly, but have backed off pretty heavily lately. I haven't added any supplemental calcium back in but plan on that soon too, to make up for that loss. I use half and half or heavy cream in my coffee, and a bit of shredded cheese with the ground beef (along with a ton of spices), but that's about it for dairy these days. I've already lost some belly fat just by eating more meat/fruit and not eating lots of hard cheese anymore. I love Brie especially but I didn't feel anywhere near as energetic eating a bunch of hard/soft cheeses compared to more meat/fruit. I think the fat intake was just too much and probably messing up my glucose metabolism.

I've noticed pretty consistently that I feel best on a diet high in meat and fruit. I feel like I can actually binge eat oranges if I'm hungry enough and craving them enough, and have done so many times. The funny thing is, I never feel sick afterwards, even if I absolutely stuff myself with oranges. I always just feel energized, stable, and happy, no crash or anything. Sometimes I eat them alongside meat, sometimes by themselves.

Was actually joking with a friend today about how I feel like oranges give me superpowers. It seriously feels that uplifting. I love almost all fruits on the planet but oranges are my favorite. To me it's like they store the energy and happiness of the sunlight within themselves and I feel it when I eat a bunch of them.

And one of the ultimate "desserts" on the planet to me is just plain wild blueberries. I get them frozen and just let them thaw.

I also do pea protein/collagen shakes, with digestive enzymes, and almond milk and banana. Those are excellent and I tolerate them well, and help lighten the load of how much meat I eat every day, which for me is mostly a cost and convenience thing. The pea protein/collagen it convenient and as long as I take enzymes with it, well tolerated.

I usually have the shake as a post workout drink, or even alongside a meal of ...you guessed it, meat and fruit.
Great it works for you. Sounds quite similar, only that I do not have freedom to includ other stuff. But that is fine with me. I do not crave other foods anymore. I feel absolutely satisfied. It feels like I regaind my instincts regarding food, which were completely messed up before. I know when I am hungry and need food. I have absolutely no desire to eat anything between meals. It is so liberating. It is all so simple right now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals