Peat "safe Starches"

Birdie

So, I'm avoiding nightshades, and therefore, potatoes. My only starch possibility is masa corn tortillas. I have these about once a week or less.

I've read a little about the production of masa corn. A few notes: The process is called nixtamalization. Lime and ash are highly alkaline. I think either can be used. The alkalinity aids the dissolution of hermicellulose. A very nice word. The lime (or ash) also reacts with the corn to free niacin, which is why peoples who use masa corn do not get pellagra.

Then, I see that in 2000, a new process was written up using enzymes. A more instant masa process. Only a small amount of lime is used at the end of this process to turn the acidic product alkaline. This process promises increased product yields and less waste.

I wonder if this new process is used universally or at least in some areas now. I wonder if this new process has any disadvantages.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Birdie, thanks for posting that info.

I had masa harina for the first time today and it seemed like my stomach handled it pretty well. I think I will leave it to once a week like you do. That seems safe. It was definitely a nice change and treat for myself.

Here is the definition of "pellagra" from wikipedia just incase anyone was wondering what it was like me.

Pellagra is a vitamin deficiency disease most commonly caused by a chronic lack of niacin (vitamin B3) in the diet. It can be caused by decreased intake of niacin or tryptophan,[1] and possibly by excessive intake of leucine.[2] It may also result from alterations in protein metabolism in disorders such as carcinoid syndrome. A deficiency of the amino acid lysine can lead to a deficiency of niacin, as well.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra

OP
N

narouz

Birdie said:
I just checked around for more precise instructions for less starchy potatoes. Some of the info here if anybody's interested:

1. Choose potatoes with high water, lower starch content = young red and white potatoes.
Russet/Yukon Gold types = high starch and low water

2. Soak raw potatoes 2-4 hours in cold water. They can be peeled and cut up to further the starch removal. Rinse with cold water.

3. Boil on med to hi heat approx 1 hour. If cut up, pos to cook less.

4. Drain off hot water. Will look milky with starch. Rinse with cold water.

So, I figure to follow these instructions when I make my next batch of potatoes for my husband. I won't do the final cold rinse on the ones he'll have that night. I have been doing step one, as Peat advised, but I only heard him mention young potatoes. It makes sense that he meant the young, low starch type. Young before the starch develops as he said. I've also been peeling and cutting and boiling the heck out of them, but I think these other steps sound helpful, too.

Should've quoted to clarify my previous question.
So Birdie: all these instructions...are they from Peat?

OP
N

narouz

Birdie said:
So, I'm avoiding nightshades, and therefore, potatoes. My only starch possibility is masa corn tortillas. I have these about once a week or less.

I've read a little about the production of masa corn. A few notes: The process is called nixtamalization. Lime and ash are highly alkaline. I think either can be used. The alkalinity aids the dissolution of hermicellulose. A very nice word. The lime (or ash) also reacts with the corn to free niacin, which is why peoples who use masa corn do not get pellagra.

Then, I see that in 2000, a new process was written up using enzymes. A more instant masa process. Only a small amount of lime is used at the end of this process to turn the acidic product alkaline. This process promises increased product yields and less waste.

I wonder if this new process is used universally or at least in some areas now. I wonder if this new process has any disadvantages.

And Birdie: about the Nightshades...
...does your avoidance come from something Peat said?
Has Peat said anything about nightshades?

I come across quite a few people who avoid nightshades,
but I don't know much about why....

Birdie

narouz said:
So Birdie:
are all those instructions from Peat?

Sorry. I should have given my source for the starch removal tips. It was Livestrong, Dec 2010. Peat had given more basic instructions such as using young new potatoes and cooking them an hour. He didn't go into the details such as peeling, chopping, pre-soaking, or draining and post-rinsing.

Birdie

narouz said:
Birdie said:

And Birdie: about the Nightshades...
...does your avoidance come from something Peat said?
Has Peat said anything about nightshades?

I come across quite a few people who avoid nightshades,
but I don't know much about why....
Narouz, I've been avoiding nightshades for about 15 years. It's a sensitivity. A lot of people find it increases joint pain. I am one of those! I've only heard Peat acknowledge that there are those needing to avoid nightshades, not heard him recommend avoiding them.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This is from one of the posters over at Ray Peat Fans, cant remember if it was posted already or not:

Karen said:
"How many grams of cooked starchy food do you think is safe in the diet?"

Ray Peat said:
"There isn't enough information to judge, but a fair part of the carbohydrate should be in the form of sucrose, fructose, and/or lactose. If it's well cooked, and eaten with butter, it's probably safe for many people"

OP
N

narouz

Charlie said:
This is from one of the posters over at Ray Peat Fans, cant remember if it was posted already or not:

Karen said:
"How many grams of cooked starchy food do you think is safe in the diet?"

Ray Peat said:
"There isn't enough information to judge, but a fair part of the carbohydrate should be in the form of sucrose, fructose, and/or lactose. If it's well cooked, and eaten with butter, it's probably safe for many people"

Thanks, Charlie.
I'd seen that quote before, somewhere,
but not the source.

Seems hard to escape
that Peat has, at least, reservations about how great a food starches are.
There are a lot of foods which he recommends pretty unreservedly.
You don't hear that with the starchy food sources.
Lots of qualifications--
well-cooked,
eaten with butter--
and then a less than enthusiastic recommendation: "probably safe for many people."

Reliably safe? No, "probably" safe.
An optimal food source? No, just "safe" (probably)
Safe for everyone? No, just for "many."

I can't think of any instance where Peat has said
we should seek out and consume
starch and fiber to improve health.

Well...carrot fiber.

Destiny

Thx Charlie..I think I stick with potato or sweet potato once a day and leave grains incl rice or treated corn alone at least for quite a while.

Im on my 4th day of Peating. So far I'm enjoying improvement in mood, energy and not feeling the need to binge eat for the first time ever. I'm including 4 coconut oil fried low quality corn tortillas a day in my protocol. Also I've only used store brand milk, oj from concentrate, and walmarts box ice cream. I mention this all as encouragement to those who cannot afford to go the raw/organic route. I do look forward to stepping up to better quality ingredients, but more importantly want to have a since of ease about being able to work with staples which are affordable and readily available.

OP
N

narouz

texas peatatarian said:
Im on my 4th day of Peating. So far I'm enjoying improvement in mood, energy and not feeling the need to binge eat for the first time ever. I'm including 4 coconut oil fried low quality corn tortillas a day in my protocol. Also I've only used store brand milk, oj from concentrate, and walmarts box ice cream. I mention this all as encouragement to those who cannot afford to go the raw/organic route. I do look forward to stepping up to better quality ingredients, but more importantly want to have a since of ease about being able to work with staples which are affordable and readily available.

This will be interesting, tp.
Keep us posted.

I've sometimes wondered what I would do
if my budget got really tight
and I really had to scrounge for Peatian foods.

Sugar would be a cheap friend!
Potatoes and rice and masa harina, I guess.
It would be great to find a decent frozen OJ concentrate.
Commercial milk: it might be okay.
With the ice cream, that would be great to find a good commercial brand.
Seems like I perused the selection at Krogers recently and did see at least one brand
without weird gums and other bad stuff.
A luxury might be canned oysters.
Butter.
Bone broth if you could get some inexpensive bones.
Coffee.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Texas, that is very interesting. Definitely keep us posted. I was thinking about the same thing recently. I have a friend who wants to heal, but she doesnt have much extra money. I was thinking to myself, hmmmm, I wonder if this could be done with lower grade stuff. And your answer definitely gives me hope that she will be able to.

Destiny

Texas, welcome to the board. I also just started this week and am using regular milk from Trader Joes. :)

nwo2012

Sometimes I wish I could put cheaper commercial stuff into our mouths (myself and family) but I just can not do it. Hats of to you if you can, and I mean that with full respect. Its just hard to find acceptable ingredients in conventional products. I still think if you shop around you could for example find cheap boxes of juicing oranges etc, need not break the bank to have some better quality foods.

OP
N

narouz

The most cost/quality sensitive foods
off the top of my head:
milk
OJ.
You know you can get sugar.
If you can get those basic things,
milk and
oj...
...that can go a long way.