Ideas On Carb Sources, For Hardcore Peat Heads

max219

Charlie, try cooking your pineapple. I really like the taste and digest it well after slicing it an cooking it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
max219 said:
Charlie, try cooking your pineapple. I really like the taste and digest it well after slicing it an cooking it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes.
Hey thanks! Gonna give this a shot. Pineapple has a really good taste to it and in the oven I bet its even better.

Dutchie

I thougth all you hard-core Peatarians were so against Pineapple bc it's high tryptophan?.....Anyway,I love baked Persimmons at the moment which seems to have some good manganese as well.

4peatssake

It's the serotonin that puts me off.

Ray Peat said:
Some fruits, including bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce physiological effects in susceptible people.

Source: Serotonin Newsletter March 2011

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Pffft, I will just take some extra cyproheptadine. :lol:

jaa

Mmm cooked pineapple with salt and cinnamon (chased with cyproheptadine of course) tastes so good.

Mittir

Here is another RP quote on pineapple

"Mangos, if you aren't allergic to them, papayas if they are fully ripe, and in moderation pineapple is o.k., though it contains serotonin and tryptophan. Lychees, longans, and guavas are others you might be able to find. "
http://peatarian.com/96/frozen-and-dried-fruit

Serotonin content of pineapple is very high and just above
banana, 17 mcg/gram vs 15 mcg/gm.
I think 100-200 grams of pineapple falls within "moderation" range.
It mostly depends on individual reaction to extra serotonin.
RP also praised bromelain's anti-inflammatory property in one of the interview.
This study shows serotonin content of some fruits and also mentions
that large intake of serotonin rich plantain and banana in Uganda was implicated in
some sort of disease.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/42/4/639.full.pdf

4peatssake

I sure which I could find lychees where I live. I can't even find canned ones! :(
Personally I love pineapple, especially in an oj smoothie with greek yogurt, but sadly I don't do well eating it.

juanitacarlos

I thought I read somewhere that the bulk of the serotonin was located in the core of the pineapple and maybe along the skin. So I think if you remove the core and a decent layer around the outside you should be right. I use canned pineapple all the time and don't seem to have a reaction.

Mittir

4peatssake said:
I sure which I could find lychees where I live. I can't even find canned ones! :(
Personally I love pineapple, especially in an oj smoothie with greek yogurt, but sadly I don't do well eating it.

The proteolytic enzyme, bromelain, in Pineapple breaks protein and is widely
used a meat tenderizer. It has the potential to cause stomach ulcer in susceptible
people. Papaya and kiwi also have proteolytic enzyme.
It seems like cocoa and tea are the safer choice for manganese.
1 cup of black tea has 25 percent of RDA. RP mentioned that tea has
estrogenic polyphenols but caffein in tea provides health benefits.
I think RP does not directly recommend against tea.
Home made chocolate seems like the best way to figure out if
chocolate is the problem or other ingredients.

OP
D

dukez07

Filip1993 said:
Cooked apples keeps me warm and happy.

How long do you cook them for? Apple pie was always a favourite of mine. Perhaps cooked apples + sugar could be something worth trying. Any Peat approved pastries lol (I want the pie)

Filip1993

I just cook them to death in some butter or coconut oil. I usually add a bunch of sugar. It's perfect for breakfast (low water content+ lots of sugar) before my metabolism is ready for a lot of liquid.

aquaman

dukez07 said:
Filip1993 said:
Cooked apples keeps me warm and happy.

How long do you cook them for? Apple pie was always a favourite of mine. Perhaps cooked apples + sugar could be something worth trying. Any Peat approved pastries lol (I want the pie)

Do it!

If you cook them properly, you can get the sugar to slightly caramelize. Amazing! Add to strained greek yogurt and you have a pretty awesome blend of macros - probably 60carb-20P-20F % wise

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals