Gaining Muscle Olympic Weightlifting With Peat-style Nutrition

PeatMonster

Zachs said:
Thanks!
My ideal day looks like this. When i start to get hungry/thirsty, Drink 16-32oz OJ w added salt, gelatin/glycine, creatine. Take some magnesium and zinc. First meal around 2 hours after waking. Usually a lb of baked/steamed sweet potatoes w CO, maple syrup amd salt. 32oz milk w gelatin. Take some selenium, b complex. Mid day, 4-6 bananas and 32oz milk w gelatin. Afternoon snack, 16oz OJ, 2 hard boiled eggs w salt. Take some D and E. dinner, same as breakfast without supps. Before bed 2-4 bananas w a 6oz milk w maple syrup and glycine.

A Question for you Zachs: Do you notice an advantage from eating more starch, in body composition or otherwise?

Zachs

Yes, an all fruit and milk diet makes me feel pretty cold, mostly because i live in northen MN but also because its a lot of water. Cooked starch keeps me warmer and its mentally satisfying. Also like i said earlier, its a good vessel for salt, sugar and CO. Bodycomp wise i see no difference adding or removing starch. Iv never been one to bloat or retain water though.

I think sweet potatoes (white or purple) are the best starch option because when cooked well they are almost equal parts sugar and starch. I bet pumpkin and some squashs are the same. I find i do much better on them than grains.

sueq said:
Thanks for the pannacotta tips!
The only tip I've seen for keeping the coconut/MCT oil from separating from the panna cotta is this:

Seattle Times said:
Here are two easy steps to prevent it. First, before you take the pan from the heat, rub a little bit of the cream mixture between your fingers — there shouldn't be any grit from undissolved sugar or gelatin. Then whisk the mixture in an ice bath until it's lukewarm.

source: http://seattletimes.com/html/foodwine/2 ... tta20.html

cout12

do you guys think that 85g of fat (99% from coconut oil) on a 3k cal diet would hinder fat loss?

about 100g of protein from skim milk and gelatine, and the rest is powdered sugar / orange juice.

probably 400-500g of carbohydrates, all sugar no starch.

I've been doing it for a few days and it seems to be pretty sustainable. less coconut oil would make it harder to eat as much gelatin cause of this recipe I've been using.

Here's an approximate cronometer http://imgur.com/z8KSaR1

I don't think 85 grams of coconut oil can cause weight gain, especially if you spread it throughout the day, though I always mix coconut oil 50/50 with MCT oil.

As far as I can tell it has a thermogenic uncoupling effect, and makes you feel warm because you start burning calories after eating it.

I haven't asked Peat about it, and he's got an interview where he says to use a teaspoon of coconut oil three times a day. But I read that as assuming you're getting fat from cheese, beef and lamb, not using coconut oil as your sole source of fat.

OP
C

chispas

Recently, I've been thinking that Peat is wrong about protein recommendations. I have been eating less than 50g of protein a day (experimentally, on purpose) and increasing carbs and sugars dramatically (about 600g of carbs a day - 20% starchy plants, 80% majority fruit sugar from whole fruit). What I have found is that body fat which I could not burn whatsoever while eating moderate to high protein (100 - 150g) is suddenly flying off, and my strength is going up, and my mood is almost euphoric. I eat only trace amounts of fat in this diet.

The diet is:

2 carrots a day
3 glasses low fat milk x 250ml for calcium
two or three egg yolks - no white, (avoiding avidin for an experiment as well)
heaps of dates for potassium and magnesium
sugar in coffee
oranges and kiwis
stewed pears and apples
even some scones!
rice, sweet potatoes and white potatoes (but mostly only after doing exercise), and with green vegies (broccoli, zucchini, etc).

Before this experiment, I was trying to lose body fat by increasing protein and carbs and keeping dietary fat low. My calories were still below maintenance (supposedly). No fat was lost, and no strength was gained, and I felt average and bloated.

I'm going to keep up this experiment for a little while, and report back how it goes. I was inspired to do this after reading about Horace Fletcher's feats of strength on limited protein. His dietary recommendations and reasoning are remarkably similar to Dr Peat's - the only difference is the protein quantity.

A lot of the info on this weird website is remarkably Peatian (no author names however)
http://health.yodelout.com/increased-mu ... able-diet/

OP
C

chispas

I think the website I mentioned has plagiarised random websites on the internet

BastiFuntasty

Are you still doing the Protein restriction thing chispas? It reminds me of my early beginnings with bodybuilding, I made progress even witj only approx 50 g protein and never noticed better regeneration with more protein.

Zachs

Protein is very insulinagenic so it makes sense that it would hinder fat loss. Sugar is also part protein sparing so as long as you get enough carbs you don't need as much protein for muscle or strength gain.

OP
C

chispas

BastiFuntasty said:
Are you still doing the Protein restriction thing chispas? It reminds me of my early beginnings with bodybuilding, I made progress even witj only approx 50 g protein and never noticed better regeneration with more protein.

Well, I probably didn't do it for long enough because I started to feel really ***t. At first I felt great (almost hypo like a child on too much sugar), but by the end of the week I felt significantly below average. I could feel a craving for eggs/meat/anything protein. I've read that low protein can affect your thyroid in a good way at first, but then it starts to annoy it. I don't understand the complex way in which this happens, so I don't have the words to describe it.

I have gone back to eating protein moderately. I find it hard to eat a lot of protein. I feel a nagging resistance when I start to get over the 130g point. It really doesn't feel great for me - it's almost as if, the more I eat the more of a burden it feels. Generally 90 - 140g is probably where I feel best (different range every day), while also eating a lot of fruit sugar from dates, oranges, kiwis, etc. My girlfriend finds it very hard to even get to 100g.

OP
C

chispas

I also think that some of the progress some people are claiming regarding strength gain through a Peat-protocol, could be due to their tendency to be less active in general, thereby sparing calorie expenditure and speeding up general recovery.

I have found consuming a small amount of glycine (1.5g) has significantly helped to avert exercise-induced fatigue even in a low-calorie state. I think it has helped me to get stronger and heavier, without eating huge amounts or tracking calories. I think it could be making glucose usage more efficient.

This website has interesting commentaries on studies re glycine: http://www.ergo-log.com/glycine-archives.html

Was randomly reading about powerlifter Matt Kroczaleski and found out that he apparently drank 3 gallons of skim milk a day in addition to his regular meals to pack on muscle when he was a marine. :shock:

tumblr_mlqh4hxTPL1ru6yjso3_1280.jpg

YuraCZ

As a ex bodybuilder, this thread makes me laugh so badly, it's ridiculous...

YuraCZ

Zachs said:
Protein is very insulinagenic so it makes sense that it would hinder fat loss. Sugar is also part protein sparing so as long as you get enough carbs you don't need as much protein for muscle or strength gain.
Nothing but chicken breasts, whey isolate, egg whites, white rice and green vegetables around 250g protein, carbs 100-400g, fats under 40g..

Attachments

• IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 827

RPDiciple

well done YuraCZ, seems like your restricting a bit i guess some days. How is energy, metabolic rate, temp, pulse etc ?

Are you sure that's straight off the camera :cool:

YuraCZ

RPDiciple said:
well done YuraCZ, seems like your restricting a bit i guess some days. How is energy, metabolic rate, temp, pulse etc ?
Well, since I don't have any thyroid(Hashimotos) I'm on T4( now also T3).. Back then it was all good. But when I left bodybuilding, diet and start cycling( road bike) a lot. I become crazy hypothyroid. I ate maybe 2500 kcal and burned maybe 5000kcal lol. I also had crazy hard job and at that time I experienced CRAZY body destruction = weakening of blood vessels( spider veins, insufficient blood flow in legs). Spine, knees, shoulders pain (arthritis).. Now almost 2 years later. I'm still ****88 up pretty badly heh...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals