Do you feel best on A) "normal" 3x meals of meat/starch/veggies or B) "Peat style" no starch milk/meat/fruit diet?

Do you feel best eating A) meat/starch/veggies or B) "Peat" no starch milk/meat/fruit diet?

• A) "Normal diet" with 3-4x daily meals of meat, starch (white rice/potatoes), veggies

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • B) "Peat style diet" no starch - milk, meat, fruit, honey grazing type diet

Votes: 42 51.2%

• Total voters

ursidae

I’m just the typical person that needs to have starch as the base of their diet, everything else in moderation. No gluten no dairy limited red meat/fruit. Low GI food, plenty of fibre, water, exercise. Or metabolic syndrome starts rearing its ugly head. How boring though LOL

Jib

Big on starch lately. Masa harina and oatmeal. I tolerate dehydrated potatoes far better than fresh for some reason, and also have those once in a while.

Have been making great sourdough bread but I might be gluten intolerant. Severe, crushing fatigue. Seemed to tolerate spelt sourdough better than wheat. But masa, oatmeal and potatoes - no problem.

I've lost 20 pounds since cutting out most dietary fat and sharply increasing my starch intake. I still have 1% milk kefir.

Starch is the cheapest and easiest for me. 66 quarter cup servings of masa for about 2 dollars.

I was getting fatter and sicker doing tons of juice. All fruit is whole fruit for me now. Even been doing beans again and feel great after eating them.

I don't shy away from meat but I have reduced my consumption in favor of higher starch intake. Whole grains, whole fruit, legumes, honey/maple syrup/raw sugar all fill up the basis of my diet.

Starch just seems to agree with me very well. Strangely, I prefer quick oats and masa harina (I make it just like quick oats) to all other starches.

But happy to be over my "starch phobia." Thinking in broader terms lately: super high carb, then fill in the rest with whatever fat and protein. For me it is much easier to eat and feel full from high carb with starch.

I went back to starch too. Very hard to get a lot of potassium and magnesium with just juice and meat. I have to drink a lot of juice, and it gets expensive quickly. Tubers and starchy fruits help a lot.

I tried a few different starches these past months. Cassava digested okay, but gave me brain fog, and, for some reason, my muscles looked really flat while I was consuming a lot of it( a pound of it, measured before cooking).

Yams( not sweet potatoes) are tasty, and have a nice texture, but I find them a little hard to digest. It does make me very warm though. Very concentrated in minerals as well.

Taro is probably the starchy food I tolerate the best. Unless I eat a big amount( 500+ grams of uncooked weight) at once, it's easy to digest, gives me good energy, makes me warm, and has a lot of nutrients. Good for bowel movements too. I don't love the taste, but if you make a puree out of it, and eat with seasoned meat, it's fine.

Plantains seem to be well tolerated. They have starch, but they also have a lot of sugar( almost 50/50, depending on the ripeness). I've been pan frying those( not unripe, but definitely not too ripe, still firm) and they are really tasty in conjunction with pan- fried meat patties. They give me no brain fog at all too. So far, they're working out for me, but I do know they are high in serotonin, so although food serotonin isn't a big issue( in my opinion), I'll make sure to keep it in mind if I start to not feel that great. I haven't lost any muscle( especially in my arms), so I guess the serotonin in the food isn't triggering enough cortisol production to be harmful, at least using this metric. They do have more dopamine than serotonin by weight, if I recall correctly, so it's not as self- harming as it looks.

I bought a purple sweet potato last time I went to the supermarket. I'm kinda hesitant to test it out, because every single time I tried sweet potatoes in the past, they gave me terrible dyslexia and just an over all brain haze. Those had white flesh though. Maybe it's different with purple- fleshed one. Hopefully the antioxidants will protect my brain tissue from total sweet-potato-induced neural annihilation. Will see.

Edit: Forgot to add breadfruit. I never tried it, because I can't find it, but I think it is from the same family as jackfruit, which I tolerate quite well. Like plantains, they have a lot of starch, but also a lot of sugar. If I ever find someone selling it, I'll buy some and try.

Last edited:
OP
Korven

Korven

I eat 5 big meals with white rice + either lean ground beef or whole eggs or fish. On the side I love a glass of clementine juice.
Sometimes I add some low-FODMAP veggies to the mix.

I need a lot of salt to feel good. When I salt to taste I consume around 1 tsp of salt per meal (5 tsp daily in total).
Starch seems like the best vehicle for salt.

Reducing starches never worked for me personally, because I eat around 4000 calories for maintenance and getting that much sugar in just seems extreme. I also does not really like the taste for sugary things, except natural juices and some fruits.

Okay I think I might try this as an experiment. I want to gain back weight and I can not seem to do that without starch in my diet, when I try pushing calories to 3.5-4 k with only meat/milk/honey I become nauseous and it's just too much sweet for me.

So, the closest thing to a zero starch diet while still eating starch (I know that sounds counter-intuitive), is to base your diet on Stan Efferding's monster mash - white rice in bone broth with lean beef and maybe some mushrooms/bell pepper/zucchini to replace minerals. I will also cut out dairy for 1 month to not interfere with the digestion of the monster mash:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3434EHu36sg&ab_channel=stanefferding

If this experiment doesn't work I give up starch forever.

Vinero

Okay I think I might try this as an experiment. I want to gain back weight and I can not seem to do that without starch in my diet, when I try pushing calories to 3.5-4 k with only meat/milk/honey I become nauseous and it's just too much sweet for me.

So, the closest thing to a zero starch diet while still eating starch (I know that sounds counter-intuitive), is to base your diet on Stan Efferding's monster mash - white rice in bone broth with lean beef and maybe some mushrooms/bell pepper/zucchini to replace minerals. I will also cut out dairy for 1 month to not interfere with the digestion of the monster mash:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3434EHu36sg&ab_channel=stanefferding

If this experiment doesn't work I give up starch forever.

Maybe you can replace some of the honey with dextrose powder and add it to drinks like milk. dextrose is 100% glucose, no starch or fiber which can feed endotoxin. Starches like rice, potatoes, and bread get broken down into glucose anyway, but generate some endotoxin in the process. Dextrose powder is very cheap also. Lots of bodybuilders use it. It's slightly less sweet than sucrose.

Maybe you can replace some of the honey with dextrose powder and add it to drinks like milk. dextrose is 100% glucose, no starch or fiber which can feed endotoxin. Starches like rice, potatoes, and bread get broken down into glucose anyway, but generate some endotoxin in the process. Dextrose powder is very cheap also. Lots of bodybuilders use it. It's slightly less sweet than sucrose.
I like dextrose, but I worry that its production process leaves more room for industrial contamination than white sugar's, which is especially concerning if the person is ingesting a lot of it( say 100+ grams per day). It also has no nutrients at all, while even rice has some nutritive remnants( manganese for example).

In terms of endotoxin, I agree. it should digest more cleanly.

lvysaur

I feel good with starch, as long as it's high-amylopectin "sticky" rice.

GreekDemiGod

eating a lot of starch gives me depressive, dark thoughts, even suicidal ideation.
Every time I return to it, I regret it.

Razvan

Insulin getting more tryptophan to the brain and in the cells. Result:aging,depression.
People on high carb diets that eat only from starch are the aged ones ,like in vegan deteroriaton videos. High carb low starch keeps looking young. No starch is amazing to me. Eating 600-700 grams of carbs daily.

Razvan

eating a lot of starch gives me depressive, dark thoughts, even suicidal ideation.
Every time I return to it, I regret it.
Insulin getting more tryptophan to the brain and in the cells. Result:aging,depression.

People on high carb diets that eat only from starch are the aged ones ,like in vegan deteroriaton videos. High carb low starch keeps looking young. No starch is amazing to me. Eating 600-700 grams of carbs daily.

Vileplume

Hey Razvan, what are your main carb sources these days?

Razvan

Hey Razvan, what are your main carb sources these days?
Raisins,jam,tangerines,some milk(not more than 1, 1,5 liters a day),coke,occasionally grapes and or pineapple, and sugar to coffees,
Even tho i play basketball and train in the gym i barely need starch, once a week or every two weeks i eat some starch, some pasta with shrimp or with seafood like italians do since i grew up there. Pasta with seafood and olive oil is heaven for me :)), but i also did periods without starch of 4-5 months without problems.

Carb to protein ratio is very important
calcium to phosphate aswell
and glycine to methionine.

I eat 500-700 grams of carbs with 70-80 grams of protein from the non gelatin sources, with the gelatin sources it goes up to 100 grams or even more. usually 2g of methionine and 10 grams of glycine, and the calcium to phosphate 1:1 usually or calcium little higher.

Vileplume

Raisins,jam,tangerines,some milk(not more than 1, 1,5 liters a day),coke,occasionally grapes and or pineapple, and sugar to coffees,
Even tho i play basketball and train in the gym i barely need starch, once a week or every two weeks i eat some starch, some pasta with shrimp or with seafood like italians do since i grew up there. Pasta with seafood and olive oil is heaven for me :)), but i also did periods without starch of 4-5 months without problems.

Carb to protein ratio is very important
calcium to phosphate aswell
and glycine to methionine.

I eat 500-700 grams of carbs with 70-80 grams of protein from the non gelatin sources, with the gelatin sources it goes up to 100 grams or even more. usually 2g of methionine and 10 grams of glycine, and the calcium to phosphate 1:1 usually or calcium little higher.
Awesome, thanks for the thorough reply.

I really want to eat more fruit, but everything in the grocery store seems to upset my digestion. I'm excited to move further south somewhat soon, where hopefully I'll find more ripe fruit.