Ideas On Carb Sources, For Hardcore Peat Heads

dukez07

At the moment, these are my carb sources:

1. Sugar (taken sometimes with milk or coffee)
2. OJ (high in vitamin C, which I find a pain in the **** when you are eating food that is high in iron, hence I hardly ever use it because I eat meat once, sometimes twice, per day)
3. Potato - boiled to the point where it starts falling apart (turning to mush). Does this ensure that most of the starch is converted to glucose, I wonder? At the moment, this is my most enjoyable carb source (just sling it into bone broths and it jacks up the calories for satiation purposes)
4. Beetroot juice. Not aware of anyone on here that is using this, and, I guess it isn't strictly Peat - but, I don't get any major negative reactions to the stuff. Other than the cost of it and I have to watch not to overdo it, because it can have some very interesting results in the rest room.

What else is there? I'm not interested in ice cream or things that are high in fat. I get enough fat in my diet from the milk that I drink (even skimmed milk will contain enough fat when I am drinking 2 quarts per day, at least). My body runs good on suficient protein (80-100g, per day) and high carbs.

I'm trying to look elsewhere, other than fruit. I want to reduce as much starch and pulp in my diet, as is possible. On days when I am busy, and consuming only liquids, my bowel feels amazing. This has a positive knock on effect for most of my bodily functions (mood, especially). So this has taught me that when my bowels are happy, it usually means that I am happy too. Since starting this diet, I sometimes go twice a day now - which for me, is brilliant. The diet is benefitting me in many ways.

Ok, so I am digressing already. Anyone able to share their ideas for carb source ideas? I have looked around these forums for a while and this list is, currently, the best I have come with.

Anyone?

Dutchie

I love eating Honey (Manuka) and Palm Sugar straigth out of the jar. Also fresh Medjool Dates.

sprinter

Raw Honey is good. Lactose in Milk. You can find the list of other Peat approved fruits but they are a pain to locate for me. I recently asked this question and someone said that Peat said:

[IRON RICH FOODS WITH ORANGE JUICE, COFFEE & MILK] Although orange juice would tend to increase iron absorption, that combination hasn't been studied. It isn't an issue for most people, only someone with an iron overload issue. The copper in oysters is protective against iron excess.

So I still drink OJ with meat sometimes. I just have coffee and milk with it too.

pboy

cane sugar
maple sugar
orange / tangerine
lactose
sometimes mango, white or brown rice, masad corn or refined corn
probably incidental amounts in herbs, tea, coffee, cocoa, almost anything

if im fiending whatever is best at the time will do beyond that...though its been a long time since ive had to have another

bradley

Tropical fruit. It's what he mentioned most in the latest One Network interview.

freal

There are a lot of other sources, but they have their own catch.

You have the tubers: yams,
sweet potatoes (every few days is probably OK),
cassava that Americans call tapioca and Europeans manioc (difficult to prepare because of cyanide)

plantain (???)

then there is rice and masa harina (mas harina high in mycotoxins)

I am sceptical about all this sugar in the form of galactose and fructose, its very low in nutrients, combine that with fat which is also almost zero nutrition??? Bone broth and gelatine also no nutrition.

OP
D

dukez07

freal said:
There are a lot of other sources, but they have their own catch.

You have the tubers: yams,
sweet potatoes (every few days is probably OK),
cassava that Americans call tapioca and Europeans manioc (difficult to prepare because of cyanide)

plantain (???)

then there is rice and masa harina (mas harina high in mycotoxins)

I am sceptical about all this sugar in the form of galactose and fructose, its very low in nutrients, combine that with fat which is also almost zero nutrition??? Bone broth and gelatine also no nutrition.

Sugar is devoid of nutritional content but it has a lot of benefits, too. It is an instant fix for those who are hypothyroid (people that run on stress hormones, like me). 3 or 4 tbs of sugar calms me right down. It's far more convenient to dump this into my milk, than down a quart of OJ on top of the milk. Sugar is also metabolized pretty much immediately, and doesn't sit around rotting in the gut, feeding bacteria which then release endotoxins.

What you say about bone broth isn't strictly true, AFAIK. Isn't the whole point of boiling the bones so it leaches out the minerals, amino acids and gelatin? Gelatin, by itself, actually has some pretty good health benefits in terms of stress reduction properties and it's anti-inflammatory. Just because the broths don't contain ample amounts of vitamins (probably destroyed due to cooking process), like raw food does for instance, it doesn't make them useless. I think the whole point of this diet is that you are getting most of your nutrients from milk, freshly squeezed (pulp removed) OJ and perhaps meat (although, I don't tolerate meat well). The gelatin is there as a stress buffer for when you do consume meat, or, if you want to consume it for its health properties anyway.

Yes, there are ***t loads of other carb options but I didn't mention them because I assumed that everybody knew that wheat, corn, cereals, etc were not up for discussion around here because they're bad, right?

freal

dukez07 said:
Sugar is devoid of nutritional content but it has a lot of benefits, too. It is an instant fix for those who are hypothyroid (people that run on stress hormones, like me). 3 or 4 tbs of sugar calms me right down. It's far more convenient to dump this into my milk, than down a quart of OJ on top of the milk. Sugar is also metabolized pretty much immediately, and doesn't sit around rotting in the gut, feeding bacteria which then release endotoxins.

What you say about bone broth isn't strictly true, AFAIK. Isn't the whole point of boiling the bones so it leaches out the minerals, amino acids and gelatin? Gelatin, by itself, actually has some pretty good health benefits in terms of stress reduction properties and it's anti-inflammatory. Just because the broths don't contain ample amounts of vitamins (probably destroyed due to cooking process), like raw food does for instance, it doesn't make them useless. I think the whole point of this diet is that you are getting most of your nutrients from milk, freshly squeezed (pulp removed) OJ and perhaps meat (although, I don't tolerate meat well). The gelatin is there as a stress buffer for when you do consume meat, or, if you want to consume it for its health properties anyway.

Yes, there are s*** loads of other carb options but I didn't mention them because I assumed that everybody knew that wheat, corn, cereals, etc were not up for discussion around here because they're bad, right?

I never said anything about wheat and I only listed rice and corn in the end. I listed the other tubers beside potato and plantain. Not that they are perfect but probably could be safer than potato, which is from the family of the notorious nightshades that give lots of people chronic pain after they eat it.

Refined sugar is supposed to be eaten only for a short period of times for "therapeutic" reason. All that sugar will need enormous ammounts of at least choline not to fatten up the liver. If you do the math, if you get a third of calories from sugar and a third from fat, there is simply not much room for nutrients from the protein?? I dont know.

Its funny to me how people here have put something Ray Peat said into their head, like someone gobbling down aspirin tablets, when I read someone gobbling down packs of those those for weeks thinking it will cure something. Not much common sense.

max219

I've been eating a ton of dates lately. They are a really good and easy source of sugar. I've been having both medjool and deglet noor.

Mittir

RP mentioned in an interview that if someone wants to use large amount of table sugar
as carbohydrate source they have to make sure they are getting required nutrients
from other sources. It is quite easy if one knows how to use apps like cronometer.
I am posting a 2,000 cal version of foods i usually eat. Adding vegetable/fruit broth
can provide tons of water soluble vitamins and minerals with little calories.
Cronometer does not have any serving for vegetable broth but generally
it is 50% of the water soluble nutrients leach into broth after 30 minutes of boiling.
Liver provides good amount of vitamin K that is not reflected in USDA data.

Coffee, instant, regular, powder 20g 48.2 cal
Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, raw 40g 54.0 cal
Milk, reduced fat, fluid, 2% milkfat, protein fortified, with added vitamin A and vitamin D 1.5 quart 826.6 cal
Cheese, cottage, lowfat, 2% milkfat 1 cup (not packed) 194.4 cal
Orange juice, raw 2 cup 223.2 cal
[glow=red]Sugars, granulated 175 g 677.2 cal[/glow]

===========================================
Nutrition Summary for January 7, 2014
Report generated by CRON-o-Meter v0.9.9

General (72%)
Energy | 2023.6 kcal 101%
Protein | 99.1 g 124%
Carbs | 325.6 g 90%
Fiber | 1.0 g 3%
Fat | 37.3 g 89%
Water | 1943.9 g 53%

Vitamins (83%)
Vitamin A | 7992.2 IU 266%
Folate | 376.0 µg 94%
B1 (Thiamine) | 1.3 mg 107%
B2 (Riboflavin) | 4.6 mg 355%
B3 (Niacin) | 14.6 mg 91%
B5 (Pantothenic Acid)| 10.0 mg 199%
B6 (Pyridoxine) | 1.4 mg 111%
B12 (Cyanocobalamin) | 31.1 µg 1295%
Vitamin C | 264.8 mg 294%
Vitamin D | 610.0 IU 305%
[glow=red]Vitamin E | 1.0 mg 7%[/glow]
Vitamin K | 3.6 µg 3%

Minerals (87%)
Calcium | 2402.8 mg 240%
Copper | 4.3 mg 483%
Iron | 5.1 mg 64%
Magnesium | 379.1 mg 90%
[glow=red]Manganese | 0.6 mg 26%[/glow]
Phosphorus | 2321.2 mg 332%
Potassium | 4703.9 mg 100%
Selenium | 80.7 µg 147%
Sodium | 1658.4 mg 111%
Zinc | 9.5 mg 86%

Lipids (56%)
Saturated | 21.0 g 105%
Omega-3 | 0.5 g 32%
Omega-6 | 1.1 g 7%
Cholesterol | 250.7 mg 84%

freal

Mittir, I see you have liver on the list that filled the vitamin percentages. That is certainly not an everyday food for most people.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I eat liver often now too. I feel much better with it. With tracking on cronometer I also am low on the same vitamins and minerals as Mittir pointed out above. I have addressed the K, and the E with supplementing, just need to figure out the Manganese.

4peatssake

If memory serves correctly, I think Mittir opts to eat a very small portion of liver daily as oppose to a larger single portion once a week. I could be wrong but 40 grams is only 1.4 oz.

Thanks for posting this Mittir. It's helpful to see what people having success applying Peat's research are eating and how the nutrients shake down.

4peatssake

Charlie said:
just need to figure out the Manganese.
Mussels, oysters, clams, dark chocolate/cocoa are high in manganese.

Cloves and other spices are really high too - not sure of RP's take on cloves in particular but I know he's not a fan of most spices.

Top 10 Foods Highest in Manganese

J

j.

Charlie said:
I eat liver often now too. I feel much better with it. With tracking on cronometer I also am low on the same vitamins and minerals as Mittir pointed out above. I have addressed the K, and the E with supplementing, just need to figure out the Manganese.

Is chocolate a good source? If so, it might be worth it to try and see if you tolerate it in some form (powder, chocolate bars).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@4peatssake and j, I think I might try and introduce chocolate back into my plan. Just need to find one that works for me.

Mittir

Charlie
RP used to get headache from chocolate when he tried to use it as magnesium source. Pineapple is very rich in manganese but acid and enzyme bromelain can
cause digestion issue. RP mentioned there are couple of grams of vitamin K per kg
in beef liver, that is close to 60 mcg per oz of liver.

I can get similar nutrients without liver too. I avoid seafood and oysters due to histamine
reactions. RP recommends 3-6 oz of liver every week and that is close to 1 oz per day.
I do not think it makes a big difference if one eats small portions of liver everyday
or a large portion per week in terms of vitamin and mineral intake. I find it
easier to eat small portion everyday than one large portion once or twice a week.
Without liver one will probably need vitamin A supplement.
It is also difficult to get copper without liver or seafood.

This following plan has 100 percent manganese.

Milk, reduced fat, fluid, 2% milkfat, protein fortified, with added vitamin A and vitamin D 2 quart 1102.1 cal
Crustaceans, shrimp, mixed species, raw 100g 71.0 cal
Orange juice, raw 2 cup 223.2 cal
Coffee, instant, regular, powder 20g 48.2 cal
[glow=red]Sugars, granulated 140g 541.8 cal[/glow]
[glow=red]Pineapple, raw, all varieties 200g 100.0 cal[/glow]
Nutrition Summary for January 8, 2014
Report generated by CRON-o-Meter v0.9.9

General (78%)
Energy | 2086.3 kcal 104%
Protein | 98.3 g 123%
Carbs | 335.0 g 92%
Fiber | 3.8 g 10%
Fat | 41.3 g 98%
Water | 2419.8 g 65%

Vitamins (77%)
Vitamin A | 1386.4 IU 46%
Folate | 321.9 µg 80%
B1 (Thiamine) | 1.5 mg 126%
B2 (Riboflavin) | 4.1 mg 314%
B3 (Niacin) | 12.4 mg 77%
B5 (Pantothenic Acid)| 9.1 mg 182%
B6 (Pyridoxine) | 1.6 mg 123%
B12 (Cyanocobalamin) | 9.6 µg 399%
Vitamin C | 365.2 mg 406%
Vitamin D | 789.2 IU 395%
Vitamin E | 2.3 mg 16%
Vitamin K | 4.5 µg 4%

Minerals (93%)
Calcium | 2978.4 mg 298%
Copper | 0.8 mg 91%
Iron | 3.9 mg 49%
Magnesium | 480.8 mg 114%
[glow=red]Manganese | 2.3 mg 102%[/glow]
Phosphorus | 2609.1 mg 373%
Potassium | 5614.6 mg 119%
Selenium | 84.8 µg 154%
Sodium | 1742.9 mg 116%
Zinc | 10.4 mg 95%

Lipids (62%)
Saturated | 24.5 g 123%
Omega-3 | 0.7 g 46%
Omega-6 | 1.2 g 7%
Cholesterol | 283.4 mg 94%

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks Mittir! I think I might actually give pineapple a shot and see what happens.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals