Gaining Muscle Olympic Weightlifting With Peat-style Nutrition

robertf

been there done that. short term yea you can lose weight and get ripped at the cost of high cortisol and a negative spiral of bad ***t that is going to happen if you continue. how much muscle does a person need anyway?

with low thyroid you are probably mistaking the cortisol rush for real energy which it is not, or it soon will not be.

and not only that but you are setting yourself up for disaster later in life when you come to your senses and have to deal with all that muscle. very few bodybuilders do it correctly, and lots get nasty health problems.

i think you can rebuild your thyroid, we have the technology.

chix like arty guys anyway better than muscleheads. get some skinny jeans, mope around and watch the magic.

YuraCZ

robertf said:
been there done that. short term yea you can lose weight and get ripped at the cost of high cortisol and a negative spiral of bad s*** that is going to happen if you continue. how much muscle does a person need anyway?

with low thyroid you are probably mistaking the cortisol rush for real energy which it is not, or it soon will not be.

and not only that but you are setting yourself up for disaster later in life when you come to your senses and have to deal with all that muscle. very few bodybuilders do it correctly, and lots get nasty health problems.

i think you can rebuild your thyroid, we have the technology.

chix like arty guys anyway better than muscleheads. get some skinny jeans, mope around and watch the magic.
How? :eek:

robertf

Well for starters, it's' the Ray Peat forum, try the Ray Peat stuff

I have maybe 50 other ideas but start there.

You said the endocrinologist said yours was destroyed by gluten antibodies?

I think maybe you didn't mean the tissue was actually destroyed, just that it was in really bad shape, yes?

Probably as you go more Peat in the diet you will be able to slowly lower your supplemental hormones

Absolutely make sure you're getting some iodine in consistently via animal necks or drops.

You're way over the top with protein so this will be suppressing natural activity.

What you're doing is known as protein starvation, experiments were done with animals that starved to death eating excess protein. It's fairly well known, but just because it exists it's not something you actually want to do with your life. I sort of know where you're coming from because when my thyroid was failing 100 years ago I was way into weights, not professionally, but just as a way to keep fit, or so I thought. Concentrate 90% of your efforts on your gut and thyroid/endocrine system. Forget about your biceps. I can't remember if you posted that you have hashis, but I have links for you if so.

Of the macronutrients the worst to overdo is protein, especially animal. Better to go high fat than protein.

Sugar reigns supreme, start figuring out better carbs, whichever works best, grain, tuber, fruit, or even vegetables, etc.

I would also start on some clean kelp powder, if that even exists, to jumpstart things.

And consider a change of vocation if weightlifting is what you do.

YuraCZ

robertf said:
Well for starters, it's' the Ray Peat forum, try the Ray Peat stuff

I have maybe 50 other ideas but start there.

You said the endocrinologist said yours was destroyed by gluten antibodies?

I think maybe you didn't mean the tissue was actually destroyed, just that it was in really bad shape, yes?

Probably as you go more Peat in the diet you will be able to slowly lower your supplemental hormones

Absolutely make sure you're getting some iodine in consistently via animal necks or drops.

You're way over the top with protein so this will be suppressing natural activity.

What you're doing is known as protein starvation, experiments were done with animals that starved to death eating excess protein. It's fairly well known, but just because it exists it's not something you actually want to do with your life. I sort of know where you're coming from because when my thyroid was failing 100 years ago I was way into weights, not professionally, but just as a way to keep fit, or so I thought. Concentrate 90% of your efforts on your gut and thyroid/endocrine system. Forget about your biceps. I can't remember if you posted that you have hashis, but I have links for you if so.

Of the macronutrients the worst to overdo is protein, especially animal. Better to go high fat than protein.

Sugar reigns supreme, start figuring out better carbs, whichever works best, grain, tuber, fruit, or even vegetables, etc.

I would also start on some clean kelp powder, if that even exists, to jumpstart things.

And consider a change of vocation if weightlifting is what you do.
Omg I don't eat just protein. It was just example for comments "protein is fattening".. My thyroid is tiny almost all tissue is gone, destroyed... I was taking good amounts of Lugol's iodine and everything else, what body needs, stop taking T4. My TSH was 19 and I was almost dead. Literally... I don't have just underactive thyroid dude..

robertf

Ok, I was unclear on that issue since you said you still had the gland but that it was destroyed by celiac antibodies. I thought at first you had it irradiated, but I've never heard of the gland disintegrating just from antibodies alone - there may be other causes underlying the celiac if that is in fact the cause of the damage.

Zachs

YuraCZ, no one said protein is fattening. I merely said that it is insulinagenic so when accompanied by lots of calories from fat and/or carbs, protein will make it harder to lose fat.

sladerunner69

visionofstrength said:
post 66128 I think the way it works (using round numbers) is this:

I was 145 pounds with 18 pounds body fat (~12%), and now I'm 175 pounds with 18 pounds body fat (~10%), give or take about a three pound margin of error.

I only use tape measuring (height, waist and neck). It's on my bucket list to get skin caliper tests like the pros do.

But I don't have much experience with this, so I hope I got the math right, and if not I hope someone will correct me.

175 lbs isn't much muscle mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jb116

sladerunner69 said:
post 109424
visionofstrength said:

I was 145 pounds with 18 pounds body fat (~12%), and now I'm 175 pounds with 18 pounds body fat (~10%), give or take about a three pound margin of error.

I only use tape measuring (height, waist and neck). It's on my bucket list to get skin caliper tests like the pros do.

But I don't have much experience with this, so I hope I got the math right, and if not I hope someone will correct me.

That's an odd assessment to make without considering body type and inherent size. We are all built differently right. We would have to know his fat-free mass and fat mass before. So if he indeed is 175 in lean mass then that is a significant amount from his starting point.

Having said that, VoS the skin fold would be more helpful since girth measurements don't distinguish between the types of tissue.

sladerunner69

jb116 said:
post 109445
sladerunner69 said:
post 109424
visionofstrength said:

That's an odd assessment to make without considering body type and inherent size. We are all built differently right. We would have to know his fat-free mass and fat mass before. So if he indeed is 175 in lean mass then that is a significant amount from his starting point.

Having said that, VoS the skin fold would be more helpful since girth measurements don't distinguish between the types of tissue.

He's made numerous posts detailing his personal approach to bodybuilding and strength training. I am 5'11.5'' barefoot and I don't spend that much time in the gym and I weigh 197 butt-naked. According to calipers I have 10% bodyfat. When I started lifting I was 155 and chubby, that was 8 years ago. So I have over 20 lbs more muscle on me and I know plenty of natural guys who are about my height who weigh about the same. "slayer" on this forum is like 5'10'' 210lbs or so he says.

Anyway 175 lbs as a bodybuilder doesn't make you any sort of authority in my eyes. You should be doing the listening, not the preaching.

J

jb116

sladerunner69 said:
post 109539
jb116 said:
post 109445
sladerunner69 said:
post 109424
visionofstrength said:

He's made numerous posts detailing his personal approach to bodybuilding and strength training. I am 5'11.5'' barefoot and I don't spend that much time in the gym and I weigh 197 butt-naked. According to calipers I have 10% bodyfat. When I started lifting I was 155 and chubby, that was 8 years ago. So I have over 20 lbs more muscle on me and I know plenty of natural guys who are about my height who weigh about the same. "slayer" on this forum is like 5'10'' 210lbs or so he says.

Anyway 175 lbs as a bodybuilder doesn't make you any sort of authority in my eyes. You should be doing the listening, not the preaching.

We're on two different tracks here. I'm simply addressing that if the facts are true that he went from 145 to 175 and if it's lean tissue, he's done well. Just as you have, almost in the same ratio no less, again assuming all facts are straight and procedures were done correctly. And that's not taking into account how tall he is. The sole post I'm addressing, I'm not referring to "bodybuilding" or "authority." Incidentally, this says nothing of bone density which is why there are modified equations to take that into account.

sladerunner69

jb116 said:
post 109563
sladerunner69 said:
post 109539
jb116 said:
post 109445
sladerunner69 said:
post 109424
visionofstrength said:

We're on two different tracks here. I'm simply addressing that if the facts are true that he went from 145 to 175 and if it's lean tissue, he's done well. Just as you have, almost in the same ratio no less, again assuming all facts are straight and procedures were done correctly. And that's not taking into account how tall he is. The sole post I'm addressing, I'm not referring to "bodybuilding" or "authority." Incidentally, this says nothing of bone density which is why there are modified equations to take that into account.

Yes it is true I have a thick frame and seem to be "mesomorphic" (if that even is such a thing) so bone density does seem to play into it. However I strongly believe that even if a short guy, say 5'8'', wanted to build muscle he could get to 185 naturally in 5 years, if he was pretty committed to the goal. I mean 175lb was what most of us weighed in junior varsity football. You don't need any kind of dieting, you can be 175 and eat nothing but tacobell and potato chips.

I'm trying to stay around 200 lb but also stay under 10% bodyfat. That is about the ideal athletic weight IMO for someone around 6 foot.

TheHound

does anyone else have the problem of having pretty defined and hard abs when flexing but almost a gut when not? is it from eating very high calorie?

Evandrojr

Same here, i will look into uncoupling when i have some time to commit!

I made a post about MC, here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5366&p=66378#p66378 and i would be happy to talk more about it over there. Ill write part 2 when i have some time.

My version evolved out of a long stint of VLC that almost killed me, i found Matt Stone, Ray Pear, Roddy and even Durian Rider and expermineted with a lot of stuff from those guys and others. The current version is a very high carb, very low fat and adequate protein diet with occasional fat refeeds. I eat very basic most days, staples are skim milk, bananas and sweet potatoes. I supplement with gelatin, salt, sugar and zinc, magnesium, and a b complex. Other foods i eat are oranges and orange juice, eggs, coffee CO, cheese, oysters. Once a week or so ill eat whatever i want but always watch the PUFA. 500-800g cho, 10-30g fat and 150~ pro.

Thats the basics. I found foods that digested perfectly for me and stuck to that. vLC destroyed my digestive system and i had crazy inflammation from endotoxins. Once i controlled that and brought fat down to bare minimum i lost fat extremely fast. Went from 210 to 168 in a summer. 3-4 months. I also did no exercise during that time. MC was my only formal exercise. Simce then i have remained steady at 170 and kept the same mass with only very minimal MC. Im currently in another phase of fat loss started monday of this week and im doing MC daily with purpose.
Hey @Zachs, thank you so much for your contributions, you have quite an inspiring stories for us beginning Peating just now. I have a couple questions for you:I didn't find anywhere you mention your consumption of coffee. Do you take it, and how much/often? And also, I follow. A follow a diet very similar to yours, and sometimes I'll have some bouts of constipation (2days no bm). Do you ever have that, or have had it during the adaptation period? Thanks!!

D

Deleted member 5487

99% of the time, the low carber is simply eating fewer calories. Usually around 1600-2k seems to fill most people up when only eating animal products, veggies and fat. So you lose weight simply from CICO.

On a high carb diet, usually one is eating in the 3k range which for most people is maintanence calories. Contrary to what you mentioned above, dietary fat is almost always the only source of stored body fat. Turning carbs or protein to body fat is a very inefficient process and basically just does not happen in a individual without metabolic syndrom. So if you are eating a diet with adequate energy (carbs), fat really has nowhere to go but to be stored for use later when carbs are lower (sleeping).

This is simplified but is basically what is going on. This is why a high calorie diet that is very low in fat will still produce fat loss since the excess energy (carbs) gets dissapated as heat (increased metabolism) and fat stores provide all the fat energy. It is also the best way to clear excess PUFA from the body since you are not dumping fat stores like on a low carb or low calorie diet and instead slowly burning the fat stores as energy throughout the day and mostly night.

I read what your wrote and it seems to match up with my experience. The only problem being is I find there to be a significant adrenaline response throughout the day on low fat. Caffeine becomes almost intolerable. As if my body is using adrenaline to release fatty acids and so my muscle have fuel at rest. I'll have extreme episode of adrenaline/hyperthyroid after high sugar meals/coffee. These scare the **** out of me.

I have also found significant strength and muscle gains, also some fat obviously from consuming like 3/4 pint of hagendaz mixed 1/2 cup of whole milk before bed. Sleep improvements, can tolerate coffee next morning, strength improvements, libido improvements. Any explanation to this?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals