New to Forum/Peating

Deuce

Hi! So let me introduce myself.

I’m 32 year old female. I recently discovered this forum (via google) Peat’s work (via Danny Roddy).

I’ve been Peating for 3 weeks (Diet history, SAD >> Atkins >> LC Paleo >> IF Paleo >> moderate carb Paleo/some carb backloading)

Favorite part of Peating:
Eating fruit and sugar again
better sleep (but seem to need more of it)
less acne
less dryness
possibly improved eye-sight

Worst part of Peating:
My fingers are very stiff and swollen upon waking (can’t get rings on) but improves after I shower and throughout the day. I used to feel this way when I occasionally ate more sugar (with Paleo diet). Any thoughts on how I can get rid of this?

My main health concerns are constipation (has not improved so far with Peating) and amenorrhea (Has been 2 years since I’ve had a period).

Health History:

- 1988 tonsils removed (antibiotics very frequently as child for throat infections, doctor would give my mother prescriptions “just in case”)
- 1999-2001 only 6 menstrual cycles over 2 year period (family GP said I was stressed and didn’t look any further, just prescribed BCP in 2001. Regular periods with BCP.)
- 2000 Gallstones (family history), removal of gallbladder >>> Start of digestive issues, mostly constipation with some diarrhea
- 2010- present no period (since stopping BCP), did progesterone withdrawal test in May, no bleeding, doesn’t look like PCOS, GYN wants me to resume taking BCP
- constipation
- moderate acne
- swelling in calves while sitting for work (2010 to present)
- recent trouble sleeping (waking up often) pre-peat
- difficulty concentrating
- weight never at a low BMI but recently gained 15 lbs quickly (pre-peat)
- consistent weight training 3-4x week for past 2 years (though just took a bit of a break because I have felt especially bad last 1.5 months)

Other Questions/Flags:
o Iron a bit high, have considered donating blood, thoughts? 2012: 176 ug/L, 2013: 122 ug/L
o Latest TSH 2.6 but have had levels of 4.3, 2.3, 3.5, over the past few years, FT3 (266pg/dL) is to the left of FT4 (1.08ng/dL) as per the thyroid scale: http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale (what might this mean?)
o Prolactin high: 2012: 5ug/L 2013: 6ug/L
o Vit D low: 2013: 45 mmol/L have been supplementing since I got these test results.
o Estradiol really dropping off post BCP (no period with progesterone withdrawal test) Feb 2012: 120 pmol/L, Feb 2013: 63 pmol/L
o LH consistently 1, FSH 3-6 range
o Progesterone 5-6nmol/L
o Cortisol/DHEA Ratio a bit high: 6.2

I have a ton of lab results if anyone can think of something that I may be missing here, I may have had it tested. I’ve been trying to round up all my results from various doctors over the years.

- Food (Peating):
- Breakfast: 1 cup OJ, ¼ tsp salt, 7 g Great Lakes Gelatin, 2 eggs with salt, large skim milk latte with 6g sugar
- Lunch: 1 cup OJ, ¼ tsp salt, 7 g Great Lakes Gelatin, 100-200g grapes, ½ Tbsp refined coconut oil, large skim milk latte with 6g sugar
- Snack: sometimes 40-50g chocolate (no soy)
- Dinner: fish or red meat or shellfish cooked in 10g butter, 1/2 Tbsp refined coconut oil, 200-300g grapes, if red meat also coffee, if shellfish/fish may have more OJ with gelatin and salt. Raw carrot salad - 1 Tbsp refined coconut oil, ¼ tsp salt, vinegar (never miss this salad, I love it and I had been eating raw carrots everyday pre-Peat so this isn’t a big change). I have also tried this as a morning snack and pre-bed snack but haven’t noticed any difference with timing or eating it on its own. Mostly moving it to dinner so it looks like I’m eating vegetables when I eat with my husband so I don’t have to answer questions about yet another “diet” I’m trying.
- Snack: ¾ cup skim milk, 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 Tbsp 18% cream, 1 Tbsp sugar
- Initially I tried more liquid than this and I needed to urinate too frequently (and wake up during night). Might revisit more liquid eventually but I do enjoy non-liquid food.
- As per Cronometer, consistently meeting about 85-90% of targets per day (not including supplements).
- Aiming for about 1850 calories per day (230g Carbs, 80g Protein, 66g Fat). I want to lose some of the fat I recently gained.

- Supplements:
- I have been taking 400IU Vit E (Unique E capsules) a few times a week and Vit D daily (for 2 months).
- Have tried some bag breathing. Did 2tsp eggshell daily for one week but wasn’t feeling so great. Stopped that and felt better quickly. I may try to take about 1tsp/day and see how that works.
Just bought some cascara sagrada and canned bamboo shoots. Will give those a try for constipation.

Current data:

- resting heart rate currently low 60s (this is up a bit, was low 50s for quite a while)
- temp currently and consistently 36.5-36.7

Would really appreciate any suggested tweaks (or if I just have to keep doing what I’m doing) to improve digestion and solve mystery of amenorrhea.

J

j.

Chocolate is better with milk, either in the bar or milk by itself, to block some of its bad effects.

Are you using incandescent lights, preferably several hundred watts? That's important.

Using hormones, such as thyroid, pregnenolone or progesterone helped a lot of people.

More liquid might help with constipation. More salt, but without forcing yourself to eat it once it becomes distasteful, might diminish restroom visits for urination.

Mittir

Welcome to the forum

Blood test for iron storage is Transferrin saturation index, below 25 is protective against cancer.
You can add ferritin level too.
PTH is a very important test. High calcium ( 1200 to 2000 mg), 1 : 1 or less calcium to phosphorus ratio
and good vitamin D level keeps PTH in check. Your vitamin D level is close to mid range level.
Your prolactin is not high.
Your TSH is high, it should be at least below 2 and ideally below 0.4.
Total T3 is a better measurement than free T3.
To interprete free T3 you also need to know reverse T3.

It is better to eat the carrot salad in the afternoon and separate from meals.
Protein intake is better suited during day time, digestion slows down after sunset.
Fat and sugar are better after sunset. Tryptophan rich meat and fish
in dinner can disrupt sleep and some gelatin before bed can help with sleep.

3-6 oz of weekly liver is strongly recommended.
Selenium rich seafood is also essential for T3 production.
Simple foods are helpful in constipation and digestive issues.
You can try well strained OJ to see if things get better.
If you have bad bacteria then soluble fiber in OJ can make things worse.

Maisy

Hi Deuce

I am new as well, just over 3 weeks in, so can't offer advice, but good to read what others are eating and doing.

I was low carb too which made me feel terrible! Recently taken up weight training which is making me feel good about myself at least and I love it! I also 'hide' my diet when eating with family and friends to avoid the 'what diet is she on now' eye rolls!

Just wondered - do you have gelatin with red meat as well as fish??

Good luck!
Maisy

OP
D

Deuce

@Maisy

I haven't done gelatin with red meat yet. I've only added gelatin to OJ so far and was trying not to do OJ with red meat (Vit C / iron absorption).

Look forward to hearing how you are progressing!

Maisy

Ah, yes that makes sense. I have my gelatin in coffee with milk so have had it with red meat. Was advised it helped balance the amino acid intake.

It's all a learning process!

OP
D

Deuce

@J I haven't tried any light therapy. Do you recommend this to specifically improve circulation and decrease inflammation? Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to try more liquid & salt.

@Mittir I have had ferritin tested and my latest results was 122 ug/L (normal ref 80-300). This is in the normal range but is it a bit higher than optimal? I thought a high calcium to phosphorus ratio was more desirable? I had been aiming for at least 1.5:1. My last Vit D result was 45 nmol/l and the reference range was 75-250 nmol/L so that was flagged as quite low. I'll see if I can get Total T3 Tested. I'll also try the carrot salad in the afternoon on it's own. Do you think there is any issue with having the carrot salad twice a day; once in the afternoon and once at dinner? It's worth a try to have more of my protein earlier in the day so I'll give that a shot too. Thanks for your suggestions!

J

j.

Light therapy (red, which incandescents contain) improves energy generation in cells, which can have a bunch of different indirect effects.

Mittir

Ferritin is usually higher in hypothyroid people. It does not reflect total iron storage.
I meant to write calcium and phosphorus ratio 1:1 or higher. He never gave any
maximum ratio for this . In one place he mentioned this ratio from 1:1 to 1:2.( cal : ph).

I was thinking vitamin D in ng/ml unit, your test is in nmol/l . Your vitamin D is really low.
I have seen him recommending carrot salad twice a day. But he usually
recommends once, because carotene in carrot can block thyroid function.
You can try twice a day and see how it feels.
I tried mixing carrot and cooked bamboo shoots.
Eating carrot salad around 10-11 am and bamboo shoots around 3-4 pm.
It felt good for few days and then it seems like too much fiber.
He recommends carrot in the afternoon so by the time we are ready for bed
our intestine is cleaned. This helps with sleep and lowering serotonin.
Eating carrot with meal slows down digestion and this can cause
low blood sugar. Simple foods helps with lowering endotoxin.
Light therapy is the simplest way to improve metabolism and reduce
stress hormones like cortisol.