Anyone Have Success Building Muscle On A Peat Diet?

Michael Mohn

I don't know where the idea of lots of starch helping dramatically build muscle comes from. Not an attack on anyone, but I don't know to what degree these claims are entirely true -- and how true they tend to be from person-to-person or across a multitude of "environments" and such. Both prior to Peat and high PUFA (with working out) I did eat starch pretty often and it had pretty much no significant impact on muscle building vs. now when I eat it much less/more selective over foods and avoid PUFA. I know it's more complicated than one added/removed variable, but how it's portrayed by some as the "key" to building muscle is kind of questionable when likely many other things matter more, I would think, than whether you eat a starch-heavy diet or not (not saying it can't help, but it's probably just a piece in a puzzle kind of thing).

In fact, in certain scenarios, starches can be pretty bad as opposed to more neutral. I'm sure those who have been around the lifting communities have heard of "Palumboism" and/or the "bodybuilding gut" -- I think that's probably endotoxin as one factor at least since there's such a heavy emphasis on eating starch, greens, nuts and "healthy fats" or sometimes even too much bread in those circles (also add in the "bulk till you get big" mentality and it's easy to see an excess of gut issues contributing from select diets and over-stressing the body physically). I think there's also somewhat of an association with starch and obesity issues for some people at least.

I've definitely always been somewhat of a critic though with the bodybuilding scene making it seem as if you're not Hulk-sized because you don't eat 'X' or do 'Y' exercise enough or etc. I mean I wasn't any expert and didn't eat perfectly, but some factors go beyond just diet alone when it comes to big progress in exercise.

I mean I will admit that sometimes starches feel more "right" or suited within the diet in general for me though.
Starches raises insulin, shuttling all macro nutrients into the muscles, it switches of adrenaline, turnes catabolic into anabolic, replenish muscle glycogen stores, supports muscle protein synthesis etc. The bros inject the stuff and some say it had the biggest inpact on the appearance of the freak look in BB more than growth hormones. It's certainly not the only factor in muscles growth, good caloric & protein supply, a good androgen profil, low stress can support muscle growth.

David90

over the years, what are your best tips for building muscle on rpdiet? also what peaty supplements support muscle growth?
And Training-Wise:

- Doing Shorter Workouts (Around 30-45 Minutes Maximum).
- 3 to 4 Workouts per Week (Depending heavyly on Lifestyle and Working Job) is more then enough.
- 10 to 15 Total Sets per Workout (excluding Abs) Maximum, most of them should be Compound Exercises (Bench Press, OHP, Deadlift, Squat, Rows, Pull-Ups/Chin Ups)
- Every Workout should have around 4-6 Exercises Total, not more.
-Volume should be around 10-20 ''Hard'' Sets per Muscle Group per Week. Exception would be smaller Muscle Groups like Biceps, Triceps, Rear and Side Delts, where 4-8 Sets per Week are more then enough.
- Doing a Workout Scheme that allows Every Muscle Group to be Trained at least Twice per Week or more (Upper/Lower, Push/Pull and Full Body works best)
- Intensity-Wise, Most Exercises should be done around 1-3 Reps from Failure (leaving around 1-3 Reps in the Tank, which will count as a ''Hard Set''). Rarely (if ever) go to Failure. If you still want
to, then do it on Isolation Exercises, since the Fatigue is not so huge with them, as with Compound Exercises.
- 3 Minute Pause after Every Set of a Compound Exercise (4 Minutes for Squat and Deadlift). 1-2 Minutes Pause for Isolation Exercises.
-Pause between Exercises (going from one Exercise to another) should be also around 3 Minutes.

And Nutrition-Wise, i'm +1 with @GreekDemiGod. 4 Meals (with Protein and Fructose/Fruits with Every Meal) are really a good way to start.

Supplement-Wise, i find a Good Vitamin-B Complex very beneficial (since i don't have regulary access to Beef Liver). Also a Good Vitamin E Supplement (used every Other Day, or every 72 Hours) can be very helpful. Besides that, i personally use Taurine Powder and Vitamin D3/K2 Drops.

I also find KSM-66 Ashwagandha to be useful but i would not use it permanently, rather sporadically. I use it nowadays if i have Early Shifts or a Stressful Time @ Work.

Starches raises insulin, shuttling all macro nutrients into the muscles, it switches of adrenaline, turnes catabolic into anabolic, replenish muscle glycogen stores, supports muscle protein synthesis etc. The bros inject the stuff and some say it had the biggest inpact on the appearance of the freak look in BB more than growth hormones. It's certainly not the only factor in muscles growth, good caloric & protein supply, a good androgen profil, low stress can support muscle growth.
WORD.

Good Calroic Supply is crucial. At least staying around Maintenance (if someone wants to stay lean) or a Slight Surplus (+100-200 kcal) are good, if someone wants to Build Muscle. Also Protein Supply is a no Brainer although 0.8-1g per Pound of Bodyweight are more then enough. Higher Protein Intakes than that are MAYBE of Interest if someone wants to lose Fat, since Protein is very Satiating.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
over the years, what are your best tips for building muscle on rpdiet? also what peaty supplements support muscle growth?
Just drink lots of milk. Some people can struggle a bit to build muscle if they eliminate starches (this depends on body type; this is only a hypothesis that I have based on observation) and have to rely only on meat and fruit. Milk (combined with eggs) is very anabolic.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals