Think I'm Overdoing It With Aminos?

sprinter

I've been having this shake for breakfast for the past month. I read some good things about supplementing with amino acids and wanted to experiment. I usually feel super tired after I consume this and a bit foggy with a slight headache. Trying to figure out why.

In the vitamix goes:

2 scoops "Naked Casein" (pure casein powder 26 grams protein)
2-4 tablespoons great lakes green gelatin
1 teaspoon of pure BCAAs
1 teaspoon of pure L-tyrosine
1 teaspoon of pure L-theanine
1 teaspoon of pure Taurine
1 teaspoon of pure Glycine
some magnesium bicarbonate
3 Tablespoon of Raw Honey
Ceylon Cinnamon
Tumeric
Salt
12oz OJ
120z 1%milk
frozen cherries
Cocoa Powder
2 egg yolks

It taste gross! But I'm trying to get a whole bunch of good stuff in me first thing in the morning.

All of the aminos I order from BulkSupplements through amazon.

All of the amounts are approximate. For example, recently I read that this amount of l-theanine may be too much, so I've been putting 1/4-1/2 teaspoon. Sometimes I'll put 3 tablespoons of glycine.

At this time I usually take a whole bunch of vitamins and other supplements too, but I won't mention them because I feel that it's drinking this shake that's knocking me out! I feel like I could go to sleep after drinking it.

What do you think... is this a terrible shake/breakfast?

Also, I recently started an aggressive strength training program and am trying to eat more calories and protein. I'm 6'5 270pounds 20% bodyfat.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

You know, that's a good tip. I agree. I'm gonna try it with more sugar. Thanks!

Richiebogie

That is a lot of protein in a liquid form. Is it about 60g total? That might go straight into your bloodstream. Your kidneys might need to process that quickly and convert it to urea and ammonia.

If you had a 200g steak you might get the same amount of protein with zinc and other useful vitamins and minerals but the fat and solids would slow the digestion down to a more even level. It might get into your tissues and muscles better with a slower absorption.

I don't think you will win Masterchef using supplements.

Last edited:

johnwester130

proline powder tastes a lot like sugar too, consider that

theanine powder is usually bad tasting

OP
sprinter

sprinter

That is a lot of protein in a liquid form. Is it about 60g total? That might go straight into your bloodstream. Your kidneys might need to process that quickly and convert it to urea and ammonia.

If you had a 200g steak you might get the same amount of protein with zinc and other useful vitamins and minerals but the fat and solids would slow the digestion down to a more even level. It might get into your tissues and muscles better with a slower absorption.

I think its closer to 100 grams of protein! Didn't realize it was that much. I forgot I also add 5 grams of creatine.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

In general what do you guys think about the ingredients going in this shake though. All good stuff?

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Yea, I'm definitely going to cut it down. I'll reduce all the protein in half at least and up the carbs.

mt_dreams

you didn't realize 100 grams of protein in one sitting was too much?? how much protein you eating throughout the day?
With your aggressive exercising, I would suggest getting at least 3:1 ratio of sugar/starch to protein, if not even higher.
if you plan on still taking in 50 grams of protein in the morning, ideally you want 150g of sugar. like someone mentioned above, 30-35g of protein in one sitting is closer to ideal.
your morning goals are to re-hydrate, get in sugar as you've been fasting, and eat/drink a meal that will sustain for a couple of hours.
eat/drink real food which includes sugar & protein, then let it start digesting before you shoot back the aminos.
right now your beverage only has about 70-75g of sugar to over 100g of protein, which is dangerous since you've been fasting and 1/3 of the protein (aminos) wants to be processed right away.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

you didn't realize 100 grams of protein in one sitting was too much?? how much protein you eating throughout the day?
With your aggressive exercising, I would suggest getting at least 3:1 ratio of sugar/starch to protein, if not even higher.
if you plan on still taking in 50 grams of protein in the morning, ideally you want 150g of sugar. like someone mentioned above, 30-35g of protein in one sitting is closer to ideal.
your morning goals are to re-hydrate, get in sugar as you've been fasting, and eat/drink a meal that will sustain for a couple of hours.
eat/drink real food which includes sugar & protein, then let it start digesting before you shoot back the aminos.
right now your beverage only has about 70-75g of sugar to over 100g of protein, which is dangerous since you've been fasting and 1/3 of the protein (aminos) wants to be processed right away.

Unfortunately I did not realize it. I thought it was closer to 60 grams. Putting 5 grams or so of each amino acid really adds up. I'm glad I realize it now.

Also, this shake was taking me like an hour or so to drink.

I eat 4 times a day and aim to get around 60 grams of protein or so per meal because of my size and strength training. I read a quote by Peat where he recommended 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for building muscle. I am not getting that much, but I think you also have to take bf% into account.

Maybe I'll switch breakfast to whole food and do this shake after a workout. I've been drinking it in the morning because: I don't like to cook in the morning and its simple, I want to make sure I actually get all this stuff in and don't skip it, I really like to eat real food after I workout.

All in all I don't know how I feel about taking individual aminos. Maybe its not a good thing...

But I will cut size of the shake down in general and massively raise the ratio of carbs to protein.

mt_dreams

Unfortunately I did not realize it. I thought it was closer to 60 grams. Putting 5 grams or so of each amino acid really adds up. I'm glad I realize it now.

Also, this shake was taking me like an hour or so to drink.

I eat 4 times a day and aim to get around 60 grams of protein or so per meal because of my size and strength training. I read a quote by Peat where he recommended 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for building muscle. I am not getting that much, but I think you also have to take bf% into account.

Maybe I'll switch breakfast to whole food and do this shake after a workout. I've been drinking it in the morning because: I don't like to cook in the morning and its simple, I want to make sure I actually get all this stuff in and don't skip it, I really like to eat real food after I workout.

All in all I don't know how I feel about taking individual aminos. Maybe its not a good thing...

But I will cut size of the shake down in general and massively raise the ratio of carbs to protein.

regarding aminos, I would cycle them to see if they are actually doing any benefit. it's good to practice to cycle aminos even if they are doing good. for exercise purposes, creatine will probably be all you need.

To make the drink a little more palatable I would not put the aminos and turmeric into the shake, but rather put a bit to the side and mix the above ingredients into it and just shoot it back 40-50 min after your first sip. using a straw would be even better. this will also allow protein to start digesting which will protect amino digestion.

no need to mess with your routine if it's working, especially since you don't like cooking in the morning.

since your exerting yourself during exercise, keep in mind to get sugar post workout asap, even before your meal.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Great tips. Thanks. I'm gonna give the aminos a break for a while and then I'll try adding back on the side like you said. Tumeric too.

I cut down on the protein and upped the carbs in the shake. Taste better and I feel better.

SQu

Theanine is wonderful but 5g will definitely put you to sleep. I think it's 1.5g a day tops, mostly at night unless you're using it to help with anxiety, mood. Taurine ditto. Magnesium, glycine, gelatin ditto. Tyrosine is fantastic too for mood again, but best in the morning on its own I think. Don't know about the rest. I agree divide it all into 3 too and more sugar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals