Gaining Muscle on Low Protein Diet?

Anadi

I am new to this forum, but I have been following it for years, because people here are very knowledgable on the subject of health and nutrition. And want to say that I am very saddened by the passing of Ray Peat, who in my view was the only voice of of reason in that field, able to challenge the common misconceptions propagated medical establishment and health gurus.

But coming back to my query. I am wondering how true or universally objective is the concept of requiring more than 1g protein per kg for a male individual, like myself. I am 60 and do bodybuilding, but eat little. I eat certainly less that 1g/kg protein, sometimes 0,5g. And I do gain muscles. In fact, a lot of muscles considering my age. As the source of protein, I eat paneer cheese, which I make myself, a little meat, and some whey powder. I do eat fruits and take sugar in the form of energy drinks, which are abundant and very cheap here in Thailand. Some veggies of course. Almost no starch. Anyway, my protein is low and general calorie intake is also much below average. I eat low protein because I just don't feel like eating much. With my weight, to get so much protein as recommended by RP and others, I would have to eat all day, and would probably gain fat too. My temperature is rather low, by the way. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Iceman2016

How about just start by eating more of what you are already eating? If your temperature is generally low and assuming you do not have a lot of excess body fat, why not try eating more fruit, meat, cheese, etc, and see what happens. Don't worry about getting a gram per kilogram of protein, etc. Just eat a little more than you normally would of the same foods you are already eating and see if you feel warmer/better.

Giraffe

Anyway, my protein is low and general calorie intake is also much below average. I eat low protein because I just don't feel like eating much. With my weight, to get so much protein as recommended by RP and others, I would have to eat all day, and would probably gain fat too. My temperature is rather low, by the way. Any ideas?

You may want to look out for signs of stress such as cold hands, cold tip of the nose, frequent urination, feeling nervous... and if you notice those signs have a little snack or sip some juice. Try this for a couple of days and see what happens.

As to your questions regarding protein requirements... My understanding is that the amount of protein needed to build muscles or to preserve them on a low caloric diet depends on the muscle mass you already have (the more muscles you have the more protein you need). And then if you eat fruit you have ketoacids in them which serve as a dietary subsitute for protein.