Is This Too Much White Sugar?

andrei

Hey guys how are you? I have a quick question to get myself some peace of mind.

So I eat following Peat guidelines and I feel almost great. Everything is better than non-Peating (infrequent urination, deep sleep, low body fat).

I am eating around 3000 calories now per day to maintain my weight. I am eating high protein (around 190 grams per day). My body weight is 79 kg.

I drink whole milk, eat cheese, and mandarines (7 or so) for nutrients.

Out of my 3000 calories, 700 come from white sugar. I mix it with warm milk. I do not gain body fat and I feel good. It does not make me sleepy or hungry etc.

Is it really only the lack of nutrients that is a drawback of white sugar? Or is it something else. I do not have quality juices here. I eat honey as well, but I am trying to reduce it because it is getting expensive.

I was think to put in potatoes to reduce white sugar, but I just don't want to cook starch and eat it. It is unappealing to me.

Please share your experiences with white sugar. Especially if you have a long term experience. Stay well :)

Richiebogie

Sugar is much cheaper than buying fruit.

It is probably better than wheat flour which a lot people use for energy.

You may need potassium and magnesium with it, but maybe sodium is ok.

Are you taking much salt?

How long have you been doing this?

OP
A

andrei

I eat mandarines and dates for potassium and magnesium. Dark chocolate too.

I'm doing it for a month now. I eat salt too, with every meal (not iodized).

Richiebogie

Yes, dates are a cheap fruit.

You eat a lot of protein. What sources? (Seafood can provide minerals missing from our soils).

If you do not have any cravings or new disease symptoms then you may be ok. In fact it sounds like your health has improved!

Bananas are cheap and have vitamin b6. Raspberries and mango have some vitamin e. Maybe experiment with eating less sugar and more fruit. See if you feel better or worse!

Have you put your diet into Cronometer or Nutrition Data Tracking to check if you are getting all your vitamins and minerals?

OP
A

andrei

@Richiebogie I eat cod fish for sea food.

As an experiment I will eat potatoes at one point, for less white sugar.

But I must admit that eating simple sugar is convenient. Also eating too much fruit increases my fiber which I don't want. And it gets expensive :)

schultz

Is it really only the lack of nutrients that is a drawback of white sugar?

One could argue that the fat in whole milk is unnecessary and also doesn't contribute any nutrients, since it is adding 70 extra calories to your milk. Skim and 1% milk offer the same micro nutrients. Though you need fat to help absorb fat soluble vitamins, I think the amount in whole milk is unnecessary.

I'm not saying you should stop drinking whole milk, just pointing out that people blame sugar for not having any micro nutrients and then go on to eating a few tablespoons of oil or something, which also contains no micro nutrients. I'm not sure what the difference is, except maybe that the sugar is more beneficial than the oil.

I do a few things to offset my white sugar intake. I drink my milk and sugar in the form of latte's. Adding coffee to the milk and sugar adds a significant amount of potassium and magnesium, 2 things @Richiebogie mentioned above, but without adding any calories. This increases the nutrient density. 5g of instant coffee added to 1 cup of milk and 1 TBSP of sugar adds an extra 176mg of potassium and 16mg of magnesium (and other nutrients). It's not a tremendous amount, but it would add up if you drank several of these a day.

Something else you can do is drink coconut water which has an impressive amount of minerals in it. 100 calories of coconut water gives you something like 1200mg of potassium 120mg of magnesium.

If I have been eating a lot of refined sugar I will up my liver intake. Liver has an advantage over the coffee and coconut water in that it has a high amount of b vitamins.

If you were to utilize all 3 of these, I see zero problem in consuming white sugar. People will give you flak for it though.

I don't consider white sugar to be unhealthy. I consider not getting enough micro nutrients unhealthy, and consuming a lot of white sugar might help cause this.

Oh I almost forgot. If I eat a lot of refined sugar in a day (like a bag of gummy bears or something......) I will usually take some Energin.

OP
A

andrei

@schultz Thank you! I also drink one coffee in the morning.

I eat fat because I observed it causes better sleep. I improved my sleep quality since raising my fat intake gradually from 30 grams to 80 grams per day.

I am feeling more comfortable with the idea of eating white sugar. I know the fear of it is wide spread. Why wouldn't there be the same "fear" of white rice. They are both nutrient-less foods for calories.

Do you starch or only sugar?

schultz

@schultz Thank you! I also drink one coffee in the morning.

I eat fat because I observed it causes better sleep. I improved my sleep quality since raising my fat intake gradually from 30 grams to 80 grams per day.

I am feeling more comfortable with the idea of eating white sugar. I know the fear of it is wide spread. Why wouldn't there be the same "fear" of white rice. They are both nutrient-less foods for calories.

Do you starch or only sugar?

I wasn't trying to say don't eat fat, just was using it to make a point. I do pretty good with 60g of fat or so, and didn't like being under 20g myself.

Not sure why there isn't the same fear of white rice, though one reason could be the hatred towards fructose. Since sugar has fructose and rice does not. Maybe?

I eat a lot more starch in the winter because the fruit sucks around here in the winter. I also put sugar in my latte. I probably average 400 calories a day from white sugar.

encerent

White sugar is much better than bad/off/rotten/unripe fruit which can hurt your intestines a lot.

RePeatRePeat

@andrei I don't think refined sugar is a problem as long as it isn't the only food you eat, which it clearly is not for you! Fruit is expensive and hard to find of really good quality. Straight sugar is the easiest and least expensive thing to consume to combine with protein and to keep blood sugar levels from tanking while healing one's liver and metabolism.

I was thinking of starting a thread asking people here how much refined sugar they eat in order to compare it to my own consumption. I am eating roughly 4# of sugar a week. I use it in my 3 daily coffees, sprinkle some in every cup of OJ and milk and throw in some with my casein protein drink. I use the most for my coffee and use the amount I do because I figured out how much I need to not only make it taste good but to prevent the jitters.

@andrei if you are getting 700 daily calories from sugar then you are eating about 3# per week. How much is everyone else eating?

OP
A

andrei

@RePeatRePeat Thank u for the message!

I am doing around 650 calories of white sugar now. Trying to get it to 600 or so.

I eat more honey instead. I will try potatoes in exchange for white sugar at one point. But not now.

Eating simple sugars helps me maintain my weight. I tend to gain weight with starch staples. My experience.
And it's ridiculous how my metabolism raised. I am eating around 3300 calories to maintain my weight.
I could drop body fat at 3000 calories per day, where most people get fat at that intake. The body is an interesting machine.

Milena

I'm eating approx 1.5 - 2 lbs per week looking at the bags I keep at home and at work. I tend to drink two cups of coffee at work (2-3 spoons of sugar) and have started dumping about 3 spoons in my skimmed milk & hydrolysed gelatine 2-3 times a day. I've just started putting 1-2 teaspoons in my OJ with bicarb of soda ~2-3 times a day.

Not a huge amount compared to Coca Cola drinkers but I don't need huge amounts of calories, yet. I can go 3-4 hours at night before I wake up, so my liver function is still 'work-in-progress'.

I drink honey via a squeegee bottle - in the evenings and weekends, mostly: about 10-15 teaspoons-worth.

Since starting cyproheptadine 2 days ago - very low dose 1mg am 0.5mg evenings, I am feeling that my liquids go down easily and I crave a little more tasty/solid/protein food which eating sugar or honey doesn't quell. Not huge munchies despite the fact I'm keeping fat low atm because I don't want to overwhelm my bodies with unnecessary calories, sugar or fat. Body is floating around my starting weight +/- 2lbs and the same with body fat % 41% +/- 0.5%
I do eat jelly babies and boiled sweets at work, too, boredom snacking.

I tried to introduce some well-boiled potatoes sans fat, but I could eat these until the cows come home so I put that experiment on hold for a while.

RePeatRePeat

Thanks @andrei and @Milena for the input. I am wondering if I could bring down the sugar a little bit if my protein intake were higher. I eat 80g daily but could shoot for 100g. The thing is that I cannot seem to be able to get away with less sugar in my coffee. I am starting to not use it in my OJ and Casein and let the sugar in the juice suffice, but I must say that very often I cannot raise my temperature or feel calm after eating unless there is more sugar present. I am sure it's all about liver health.

@andrei I, too, tend to gain weight with starches. Potatoes and white rice have been off my "friendly" list for a few weeks now but they sure keep me satisfied. With starches, I can lessen refined sugar intake, but not with fruit or juices.

OP
A

andrei

@RePeatRePeat I suggest you trade some white sugar for protein.

My quality of sleep improved when I upped my protein from 120 grams to 150 grams.
White sugar should be a buffer. Just a source of some calories. Not too many.
I am down to 600 calories of it now.
The only trade I would still make is for white potatoes. Otherwise, fruits are too expensive and increases my fiber much. I already have 2-3 stools a day and don't want more.

It fascinates me thought that with simple sugars I can maintain my weight. Otherwise, with starch I gain it. I don't understand. It seems that Peat's explanations make sense.

Wagner83

I and apparently @EIRE24 started getting really scary symptoms after eating a lot of fruit juices or white sugar for weeks. I started getting huge weirdish pain in the middle of the back/inside the chest, radiating in the right arm and sometimes to the top of the head. It only eased when I switched to high starch no dairy no fructose. Now I can eat some again without issues. A female member reported acute pancreatitis when on a fruitarian diet.
On the other hand I'm really curious about glucose powder/syrup vs too much starch.

RePeatRePeat

@andrei what do you eat for your daily protein? I eat cheese, collagen, casein, chicken breast, eggs and whole milk. I saw you eat cod, which I have thought of adding as it is not fatty and is inexpensive.

Jsaute21

I eat mandarines and dates for potassium and magnesium. Dark chocolate too.

I'm doing it for a month now. I eat salt too, with every meal (not iodized).
Honestly I wouldn't over think it man. My body feels phenomenal on white sugar too. I probably have the equivalent of 200 grams of white sugar teaspoons a day if I am working out. 100 if I'm not. Probably more as I don't count. No fiber, good clean energy etc. my only issue is fructose/sucrose only satisfies me for 2-3 hours. I need more sugar all the time.