Fat Loss On Low Fat, My Experiment

Wagner83

I appreciated them Wagner. :thumbsup: I’ve just gone through that whole thread. I don’t necessarily agree with all his conclusions but I can definitely see the benefit to going high cal very low fat for a period of time (but not indefinitely). He seems to have said that it worked for him over that 4 month period but then he no longer benefitted from the approach.

It’s interesting to hear him reflect on his past choices and equally interesting to hear what he’s doing now. I think minimising endotoxin and inflammation while stimulating metabolism is a good approach. Keeping the orthorexia in check is probably also a good idea.

I’ve just come back from a 4 day work conference. Discovered it was harder to avoid PUFA when looking to minimise fat when you can’t control the food choices. I found it better to choose meat dominated dished and take in some saturated fat. Needless to say I’m feeling a little “off” from all the beer, meat and fat but glad I was able to minimise the PUFA intake.
What I find interesting is that sometimes people reinterpret past experiences in the present but I don't think it's necessarily more relevant than what they had noticed at the time.

EIRE24

I'm not necessarily posting these links for you, I am showing how things have evolved, if he had tried that diet from the start it probably wouldn't have worked as he said himself. The vlf low animal products helped him and then he moved on to other things. This being said it will be interesting to see how he does in the future on this more or less ketogenic diet, some people seem to do fine.
Nope, his digestion was very messed up and this was the reason for him going keto and all saturated fat diet. The high carb diet actually is what he think caused all of his problems.

Glassy

It may be what he currently thinks caused his problems but people’s understanding, conclusions and opinions of events change over time. What he thinks now is more evolved than what he thought 12 months ago (since he has more data) but his reasoning for what he experienced will no doubt change. I’m amazed at how stable Peat’s thinking is, but I suspect he’s aware that much of his words are being chiseled in stone and so is particularly careful and selective when he articulates his ideas.

I think an issue with eating HCLF is that carbs (particularly starches) tends to come with fibre and other substances that feed bacteria. When eating a more balanced macro diet, the volume of food required is reduced significantly which reduces this unintended side affect. Minimising this affect when eating HCLF tends to turns your diet into a bit of a chore (thank goodness for sriracha).

berk

MeatOrchid

Can fat get absorbed through the skin?

How about rubbing your abdomen with a mixture of rendered stearic acid and coconut oil? How different is it if you rub fat on your skin than eating it? @haidut mentioned that it is possible to absorb fat through skin, can you provide fat nutrition this way? Could this avoid the endotoxin release from eating starches and fiber? WDYT?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Can fat get absorbed through the skin?

How about rubbing your abdomen with a mixture of rendered stearic acid and coconut oil? How different is it if you rub fat on your skin than eating it? @haidut mentioned that it is possible to absorb fat through skin, can you provide fat nutrition this way? Could this avoid the endotoxin release from eating starches and fiber? WDYT?
Yes it can absorb through the skin but it absorbs rather slowly so you'll only absorb a small amount even if you spread it all over your body. You'll just end up oily for hours.

Haidut also posted a study showing that if fat is applied topically it can elongate to longer chain fats. So if you apply lauric and palmitic acid it can elongate to stearic and arachidic acid, which pretty sweet.

Marco

Would not be a reasonable strategy to have a high sat. fat day a week as in many culinary traditions? The more I jump from one "extreme" diet to another, despite the science supporting it (both very lowfat or low carb high sat. fats), the more I feel unbalanced. As someone noticed, a very low fat diet brings as consequence an increased intake of fibres which, for people as me, is highly problematic. Despite this I feel much better on a very low fat regimen (in the range of 30-40gr. day). I started to add back a bit of olive oil (locally made, so 100% olives) after reading that it interfers less than sat. fats on insuline response in a carb-based nutrition. It resonates well with the Mediterranean tradition, so as the one (sunday) fatty red meat day, other days being more lean meats and starches plus olive oil

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals