My Personal Version of Peat Diet - low protein and very little fat.

Kris

I have learnt from Ray Peat so much. But each one responds differently to various diets. I am a big man, and I lifts weights and so on, but I highly question the idea that a man has to consume 1 or 1.5 gram of protein per day. I eat only one time a day, not because i am doing intermittent fasting, but i am just no hungry. Romans were eating once day and they conquered most of the known world. The idea of eating 3 meals a day is relatively new in the western culture, and it is type of gluttony. If I am hungry during day, I will just eat some fruits. anyway, feeding all day feels unnatural to me, and I eat VERY little protein, while doing just fine. I keep my weight down and i am rather muscular. I am also not so sure about the body temperature proposition as promoted by Peat. No matter what I eat or if I supplement Thyroid, i am always below 37C. But I can lose weight very fast if I want. I just lost 15kg in one month, so my metabolism is probably not so bad. I am 60 years old by the way.

Last edited:
I have learnt from Ray Peat so much. But each one responds differently to various diets. I am a big man, and I lifts weights and so on, but I highly question the idea that a man has to consume 1 or 1.5 gram of protein per day. I eat only one time a day, not because i am doing intermittent fasting, but i am just no hungry. Romans were eating once day and they conquered most of the known world. The idea of eating 3 meals a day is relatively new in the western culture, and it is type of gluttony. If I am hungry during day, I will just eat some fruits. anyway, feeding all day feels unnatural to me, and I eat VERY little protein, while doing just fine. I keep my weight down and i am rather muscular. I am also not so sure about the body temperature proposition as promoted by Peat. No matter what I eat or if I supplement Thyroid, i am always below 37C. But I can lose weight very fast if I want. I just lost 15kg in o

ne month, so my metabolism is probably not so bad. I am 60 years old by the way.
A rather confusing post.. do you mean to say, possibly, that you consume one to 1.5 g of protein per kilo of body weight? Or, unlikely as it seems, one to 1.5 g of protein, period?

Also, your basic diet is not at all apparent? All that you mention is 'low fat and low protein', and having some fruit when you're hungry. What might your daily fare be?

A little enlightenment, please!

PaRa

15kg in one month is catabolism land man

why comparing to romans ? you live in 2021, not 50 before JC

low protein + low fat + losing weight at the pace of 15kg a month your thyroid is in the toilet like your hormones

OP
K

Kris

I don't know. Romans were tough. We wish you had their health! the fact that they lived 2000 years ago makes not difference; our bodies have not changed that much. the idea to eat three meals a day was created like in 18th century. When European settlers came to America they thought that the natives were crazy, eating one meal a day or sometimes not eating at all. who was crazy is a matter of debate.

anyway, sorry for not explaining myself well enough. i eat very little protein. 10 to 20 gram a day. sometimes more. I like to circulate my diet. I eat diverse diet, sometime meat, sometime eggs, or dairy. some boiled vegetables, fruits. I am not sure what 'catabolic' means. I did not lose muscles, when getting rid of 15kg, just fat. and my blood pressure came back to normal from very hight.

ok, i am like 87kg. if I eat 1.5gram of protein per kg, I would have to eat like a pig, all day. people eat too much. food is god for them, all they think is about stuffing themselves with food. many people on Peat diet get fat, hoping that one sunny day their metabolic rate will improve. fasting is important. for instance, if I fast and take psyllium husk or drink only juice for that particular day, I always shed the old mucus from the colon. colon hygiene is important. not just getting rid of endotoxins, but removing the layers of old mucus. people's colon is in disastrous condition, completely distorted, according to the testimony of one surgeon who did like 20000 abdominal surgeries, and reported that he did not see even one normal colon.

Last edited:

Marcine

Perceive-Think-_Act is Peat's basic premise. Your liver needs protein to convert T4 to useable T3 so you are basically hypothyroid, which is why the low temps and you are catabolic: eating your own tissue for energy. This is what happens to unhealthy older folk, they lose their appetite and their bodies fail. You need to eat gelatin and dairy and eggs along with your fruit and make yourself eat when you wake up so you stop the raising cortisol. Maybe you get alot of sun and that is at least propping you up with vitamin D stores. I came to Peat from catabolic diet and IT in a high light environment and still tanked my metabolism. I started eating fruit and yogurt for breakfast. Take dessicated liver supplement if you don't want to cook liver.

Kykeon

Drink Kykeon like the greek heroes!:D If you have a hard time eating the right amount of food i can recommend milk, with gelatin and some honey.

Why are you guys Brown beating this fella? If what he does works for him, don't immediately assume he's the victim of massive ignorance and dysfunction. He says he is big and strong and has plenty of energy to live his life on the regimen he has described. A little humility, please!

yashi

cronometer of your average day of eating? how many calories do you eat?

koreus

This is not a version of the Peat diet this is the antithesis of it. Not feeling hungry means your metabolism is low, eating low protein directly causes low metabolism through preventing T4 to T3 conversion. You are low fat because you are in a constant state of fatty acid oxidation and reductive metabolism.

There are times when low metabolism and a catabolic state is beneficial like during periods of stress and reduced food supply but it is not meant to be sustained. The Roman army like all militaries spent most of their time marching from place to place and training i.e doing cardio so it makes sense for them to be fat adapted. Soldiers are expendable and Roman soldiers lived very short lives. I would not emulate them.

The only upside I see to your diet is that high protein diets can be damaging to the kidneys and lower protein also means lower inflammatory amino acids like cystine and methyonine. However even low protein advocates don't go lower than 60g per day.

Kvothe

This is not a version of the Peat diet this is the antithesis of it. Not feeling hungry means your metabolism is low, eating low protein directly causes low metabolism through preventing T4 to T3 conversion.

Actually, eating low protein does exacely the opposite. It significantly increases T3 production and increases themorgenesis. When you eat enough calories, ideally a good mix of carbs and fats, you need very little protein.

Dr. B

Actually, eating low protein does exacely the opposite. It significantly increases T3 production and increases themorgenesis. When you eat enough calories, ideally a good mix of carbs and fats, you need very little protein.
how does it do that and why? dont you need at least 100 grams a day?

OP
K

Kris

so are you guys saying that eating high protein is good for our body? it is difficult to get so much protein. ok recently, I had much of lean chicken, which is much protein (plus PUFA, I suppose), but did not feel any different. as I mentioned before, i am a big man, not young anymore, but i keep my muscles. I know that many members here would not agree with me, but often less is more. less food, less protein, less fat. I do take much carbs though.

frequent re-feeding is one of the ideas of Peat, to reduce stress. I might be wrong, but this what I read. but he also mentioned that Rats in the fasted state lived much longer and healthier.

Dr. B

so are you guys saying that eating high protein is good for our body? it is difficult to get so much protein. ok recently, I had much of lean chicken, which is much protein (plus PUFA, I suppose), but did not feel any different. as I mentioned before, i am a big man, not young anymore, but i keep my muscles. I know that many members here would not agree with me, but often less is more. less food, less protein, less fat. I do take much carbs though.

frequent re-feeding is one of the ideas of Peat, to reduce stress. I might be wrong, but this what I read. but he also mentioned that Rats in the fasted state lived much longer and healthier.
how often should refeeding be done
isnt refeeding for people who eat low carbs
if youre eating 250g, 300g+ carbs daily alongside like 150g+ protein and 60g+ fats, do you need to do refeeds, is there any benefit...

OP
K

Kris

how often should refeeding be done
isnt refeeding for people who eat low carbs
if youre eating 250g, 300g+ carbs daily alongside like 150g+ protein and 60g+ fats, do you need to do refeeds, is there any benefit...
150 of protein ? only bodybuilders eat that much. ok, with lots of milk you could get there. but this is not the point. the point is, are those notions really correct? I am kind of questioning them. i am very healthy and I eat very little.

neu4

I feel best in two ways of eating :

Low calories high fat high protein low carb
OR
High calories low fat low protein high carb

For the second, skim milk, fruits and mushrooms + roots.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals