Anyone Have Success Building Muscle On A Peat Diet?

I don't know where the idea of lots of starch helping dramatically build muscle comes from. Not an attack on anyone, but I don't know to what degree these claims are entirely true -- and how true they tend to be from person-to-person or across a multitude of "environments" and such. Both prior to Peat and high PUFA (with working out) I did eat starch pretty often and it had pretty much no significant impact on muscle building vs. now when I eat it much less/more selective over foods and avoid PUFA. I know it's more complicated than one added/removed variable, but how it's portrayed by some as the "key" to building muscle is kind of questionable when likely many other things matter more, I would think, than whether you eat a starch-heavy diet or not (not saying it can't help, but it's probably just a piece in a puzzle kind of thing).

In fact, in certain scenarios, starches can be pretty bad as opposed to more neutral. I'm sure those who have been around the lifting communities have heard of "Palumboism" and/or the "bodybuilding gut" -- I think that's probably endotoxin as one factor at least since there's such a heavy emphasis on eating starch, greens, nuts and "healthy fats" or sometimes even too much bread in those circles (also add in the "bulk till you get big" mentality and it's easy to see an excess of gut issues contributing from select diets and over-stressing the body physically). I think there's also somewhat of an association with starch and obesity issues for some people at least.

I've definitely always been somewhat of a critic though with the bodybuilding scene making it seem as if you're not Hulk-sized because you don't eat 'X' or do 'Y' exercise enough or etc. I mean I wasn't any expert and didn't eat perfectly, but some factors go beyond just diet alone when it comes to big progress in exercise.

I mean I will admit that sometimes starches feel more "right" or suited within the diet in general for me though.

Last edited:
Comes from results, yet we have to see someone building muscle long-term on white sugar, orange juice and milk.

I didn't see any significant results from it. I'm not trying to start a war here, but just my experience with starches and nothing that impressive about them for me.

I would think carbs and protein should ideally be among the best things for muscle growth though (lowfat milk + OJ could fit here ideally too). Of course like I said there are other factors -- so to what extent starches can help might depend on a whole host of things I'm not sure of (and also to what end they're helpful/good for you overall).

Last edited:

Cameron

Hey guys,
Just a quick background of me.
I'm 25year old male that lifts weights. I've been reading Peats articles and this forum for a while now. Very interesting and I do learn alot, especially from @haidut. My wife and I are currently doing the PUFA depletion for 30 days, but we might go on longer than that.

So my question is...has anyone gained considerable amounts of muscle and strength with weight lifting, while doing Peat diet and not using steroids or even pro-hormones of any kind, only nutritional supplements?

I'm wondering, because I want to know if Peat diet will give me the fastest possible results for my training. I know weight training is frowned upon (kinda) here. I know Peat diet will definitely be the best for health, but will it be best for building muscle. I was thinking of going Peat for 1 year while training and see my results, then do it Vince Gironda way for 1 year and then compare results.

I'm planning on training 3-5 times a week for 30 min workouts. I already have 6 years training experience.

Vince Gironda's methods are guarenteed to give great results, it will just not be the most healthy way (Vince admitted this himself).
Yes. Vince’s way is great in consideration of adequate protein and cholesterol. Add sugar to it will be a better fuel source in the long run I’ve found. So yes Peating if you wanna call it is the most energetic nutrient dense tastiest way to do it I’ve found if you get enough calories.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Nope, I have milk with a meal, but I might have do OJ with a meal in the future and milk as a snack.
Yes. Vince’s way is great in consideration of adequate protein and cholesterol. Add sugar to it will be a better fuel source in the long run I’ve found. So yes Peating if you wanna call it is the most energetic nutrient dense tastiest way to do it I’ve found if you get enough calories.
I've been high carb most my life but got into keto in 2017 after reading Mercola, Vince and general keto stuff. This was before found Peat. Vince was creating big bodybuilders on a low carb diet and then there is also the Anabolic diet book which is basically cyclic ketosis.
Anyway, I've been high carb since the late 2017 again. I have not tried only a fruit, milk and egg diet, but I'm sure one can gain a lot of muscle on that.

Cameron

Nope, I have milk with a meal, but I might have do OJ with a meal in the future and milk as a snack.

I've been high carb most my life but got into keto in 2017 after reading Mercola, Vince and general keto stuff. This was before found Peat. Vince was creating big bodybuilders on a low carb diet and then there is also the Anabolic diet book which is basically cyclic ketosis.
Anyway, I've been high carb since the late 2017 again. I have not tried only a fruit, milk and egg diet, but I'm sure one can gain a lot of muscle on that.
I really don’t eat much meat anymore. I do prefer milk fruit eggs seafood not only for taste but also energy. I’ll have a nice steak here and there but after going carnivore for a few weeks I realized it’s pretty ridiculous. Golden era was a carnivore type bodybuilding diet but those guys were using drugs. Natural body building without carbs is like blowing a balloon without air.

ExCarniv

I really don’t eat much meat anymore. I do prefer milk fruit eggs seafood not only for taste but also energy. I’ll have a nice steak here and there but after going carnivore for a few weeks I realized it’s pretty ridiculous. Golden era was a carnivore type bodybuilding diet but those guys were using drugs. Natural body building without carbs is like blowing a balloon without air.

How do you get 3000 calories and enough protein from milk, fruit, eggs and seafood, without starch and meat?

Cameron

How do you get 3000 calories and enough protein from milk, fruit, eggs and seafood, without starch and meat?
I don’t always aim to hit 3000 I aim to hit being full and energetic. I will throw in some potatoes homemade French fries with butter. Some meat just generally what I listed but half a gallon of milk alone gets me 1000 calories so the foods I’m eating are very nutrient dense and calorie dense. I’ll add maple syrup honey coffee to my milk too. Point is the main things I listened are very easy to get enough calories from.

Cameron

I don’t always aim to hit 3000 I aim to hit being full and energetic. I will throw in some potatoes homemade French fries with butter. Some meat just generally what I listed but half a gallon of milk alone gets me 1000 calories so the foods I’m eating are very nutrient dense and calorie dense. I’ll add maple syrup honey coffee to my milk too. Point is the main things I listened are very easy to get enough calories from.
Meat and potatoes are great I just don’t eat them every meal I only crave those here and there. I crave milk oj oysters shrimp honey eggs cheese throughout the day everyday since I was a kid.

ExCarniv

Meat and potatoes are great I just don’t eat them every meal I only crave those here and there. I crave milk oj oysters shrimp honey eggs cheese throughout the day everyday since I was a kid.

Nice, follow your cravings is important too, I don't crave OJ but I like whole oranges, so I switched them, I don't crave milk without cacao or coffee, so I stopped drinking plain milk and reduced the intake to one or two cups per day.

I follow my cravings with some rules, no fried foods, no fortified foods (milk with AD vitamins, iron fortified breads etc)

boris

I noticed since peating too, a lot of the good stuff is stuff I was naturally drawn to as a kid. Cheese, fruitjuices, iced tea, cocoa, milk, eggs, coca cola, shrimp. I never drank plain water.

Basically TV doctors convinced me that juices, salt, sugar and milk are bad and I started drinking massive amounts of plain water and avoiding animal protein. That's when my health declined slowly but steadily.

David90

I noticed since peating too, a lot of the good stuff is stuff I was naturally drawn to as a kid. Cheese, fruitjuices, iced tea, cocoa, milk, eggs, coca cola, shrimp. I never drank plain water.

Basically TV doctors convinced me that juices, salt, sugar and milk are bad and I started drinking massive amounts of plain water and avoiding animal protein. That's when my health declined slowly but steadily.

Same here. When i was younger i was drinking Plain Water. I even feared salt and was eating less of it. Thankfully, i have given up on that and stumbled upon Ray Peat.
Now most of my Diet comes from Cheese, Fruits, Milk with Cocoa, Gelatin, Coffee & Meat. And i never want to turn back....:smiley:

over the years, what are your best tips for building muscle on rpdiet? also what peaty supplements support muscle growth?

Nutrition-wise, eating at least 4 meals /day and having pre/intra/post workout sugar and protein is a good starting strategy.
Thanks. That’s likely my biggest hurdle. I’m young but my appetite isn’t too good. What could that indicate?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals