Peat Eating And Weight Gain

Birdie

Every time I try upping my gelatin, I come down with shingles. Gelatin is high in arginine and I'm sensitive to the lysine/arginine ratios I think. Even with large amounts of lysine supp, this still happens. I may try the broth alone to see how that goes. Id been using both. For now, I'm getting only about 2 tsp gel a day. Sad, as I'd like to take more and my joints do better on a higher dose of gelatin.

This is a super subject. Thanks everyone above.

Birdie

Andrew Kim said:
Thank you Charlie! Sounds good... that's pretty much my diet. I think I eat approximately 70% fruit.

Good info. I eat a lot of fruit but could eat more. What I have for an example day is melon and oj at breakie. During the day I'll have oj jello with cut up peaches in it. Then a peach sometime and an apricot. Sometimes some applesauce. The, I made up some peach conserve which is in jars in the fridge. It was good on eggs one morning. Then, I'll have oj (always with S Pel water) later in the day. And more melon. Summer is easier...

My husband has the peach/oj jello with his nightime ice cream.

I'm planning to make the ricotta. It does sound easy when Charlie describes it. I may buy the Organic Valley one first cuz time constricts me. Wrong word, but you get the idea.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Birdie, its sooooooo easy to make. Once you make it you'll be like, "wow, why didn't I try this earlier". Well, thats what I thought to myself.

Nick810

Andrew Kim said:
I've had success with increasing the percentage of fruit.
Which fruits specifically? I love grapes and cherries and oranges... but cherry season is over so that leaves just grapes and oranges which gets boring fast.

bradley

Nickje,

I love melons of all kinds. They should still be in season wherever you are. I try to get them from farmer's markets as they are picked vine-ripe, so less chance fo any allergens.

Are any manila/champagne mangos available near you? they can also be a staple for me.

Hawaiian Papayas are wonderful as well

Nick810

Regular mangos are, as are lots of melons... but melon is one of those things that can attract mold and is hard to know if its ripe from the outside.

bradley

Nickje said:
Regular mangos are, as are lots of melons... but melon is one of those things that can attract mold and is hard to know if its ripe from the outside.

Honeydews (and other musk melons) and watermelon are not known to attract mold like cantaloupes.

There are a few tricks to tell if melons are truly ripe, different ones for different melons. I'm a melon aficionado ;)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
There are a few tricks to tell if melons are truly ripe, different ones for different melons. I'm a melon aficionado ;)

Would you mind sharing those?

I know with watermelon, I thump with my entire hand. And the more hollow it sounds, the more ripe it is. If it sounds really solid, its not going to be any good.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Made some cheese today. Started with a gallon of milk, skimmed the cream off the top which was around 2.5 cups.

This batch my cheese yield was:

15.9 OZ
450 grams
.99 lbs

So I pretty much got a pound of cheese. Seems like some batches are bigger and some are a little smaller. This batch seemed a tad small, so I will measure the next few and report back the weights again.

OP
N

narouz

Charlie said:
Made some cheese today. Started with a gallon of milk, skimmed the cream off the top which was around 2.5 cups.

This batch my cheese yield was:

15.9 OZ
450 grams
.99 lbs

So I pretty much got a pound of cheese. Seems like some batches are bigger and some are a little smaller. This batch seemed a tad small, so I will measure the next few and report back the weights again.

Perfect, Charlie!
So a gallon of milk yields approximately one pound of cheese.
Wow.

So now we can say that
if Peat says have 2 qts of milk and 1 qt of OJ,
then that would translate to 8oz of cheese per day,
if my math is right?

I can believe the protein would translate
(and the fat if you hadn't skimmed it),
but it's hard for me to believe the sugars would translate....

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Not sure all the protein would carry over because you do squeeze out all the whey when making this cheese. Since I am reacting to whey, I make sure every last drop of it is gone.

OP
N

narouz

Charlie said:
Not sure all the protein would carry over because you do squeeze out all the whey when making this cheese. Since I am reacting to whey, I make sure every last drop of it is gone.

You're right.
Hadn't thought of that--
whey has a ton of protein.

And yet...
Peat says cheese might even be better than milk....

bradley

Charlie said:

Would you mind sharing those?

I know with watermelon, I thump with my entire hand. And the more hollow it sounds, the more ripe it is. If it sounds really solid, its not going to be any good.

For watermelons:

• - They should have a deep yellow patch, this is where the melon sat on the ground. Watermelons without this patch were picked too early.
    - They should be very firm. A softer outer means it's old.
    - Hold the melon in the palm of one hand, close to your ear. Slap it with the other hand. The more it reverberates like a bass drum, the juicier and crispier it will be

For cantaloupes
  • - the outside should have some give
    - the more beige/orange the outside, the better. Green = unripe and may not become sweet
    - with your thumb, rub where the vine was attached. Then smell the area, the more fragrant, the sweeter and riper
    - flip the melon over and push on the bottom with your thumb, it should have a good amount of give

For honeydews
  • - Like cantaloupes, the outer should have give, and the bottom should depress to the touch
    - the skin should have a tacky/sticky feel. The stickier the outside, the more concentrated the sugars inside. Smooth and slippery = unripe and not sweet
    - a super-ripe honeydew will be fragrant, but not always

There are many other varieties, but the above tips will work for all of them.

Birdie

That sounds like really good melon advice from Bradley. Especially on the watermelon.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I agree, thank you, Bradley! :thankyoublue

milushq

Narouz, quote from dr.Peat especially for you;-) :
"When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, OJ, and daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories."
I took this from FPS Facebook page. Someone also asked Rob about ice-cream and here is his answer -
"He was referring to low fat milk, not higher fat diary b/c that will raise the calorie intake too high for some with a low metabolism. The foods you mentioned are good choice, but tracking nutrients(macro and micro) along with calorie numbers of the entire diet can allow you to fine tune in a step by step fashion."

OP
N

narouz

milushq said:
Narouz, quote from dr.Peat especially for you;-) :
"When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, OJ, and daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories."
I took this from FPS Facebook page. Someone also asked Rob about ice-cream and here is his answer -
"He was referring to low fat milk, not higher fat diary b/c that will raise the calorie intake too high for some with a low metabolism. The foods you mentioned are good choice, but tracking nutrients(macro and micro) along with calorie numbers of the entire diet can allow you to fine tune in a step by step fashion."

Thanks, milushq!
I haven't seen that exact quote before.

There are some curious things about Peat's statement as a recommendation
specifically for those wanting to lose weight:

1. Seems like Peat would have a too fat person eat some shellfish
for the nutrients, especially the copper and zinc, as metabolism boosters.

2. A little odd that he gives to us fatties such a strong and unqualified recommendation of eggs;
I can see that they are a great source of nutrients,
but he himself says in other places that eating a lot of eggs,
especially low-quality eggs, can suppress the metabolism.

3. And notice the complete omission of bone broth/gelatin.

Birdie

Narouz, If that was Peat's answer regarding a question about ice-cream and weight loss, then it would make sense that Peat addressed possible substitutes for ice cream. I just take it as a Peat hint and don't conclude he was outlining an entire weight loss diet.

I think Rob's comment could be taken in the same way.

nwo2012

It would be best, if looking to lose weight, to ensure your thyroid is fully functional before going overboard on sugar consumption. Find that amount that is just enough not to go hypoglycaemic or to give a release of adrenalin (in terms of balancing the protein). Extra salt should help too, can probably lower the sugar intake more without release of adrenalin. Also small nibbles of T3 throughout the day (3 hours appart so as not to suppress endogenous supply) should help too.