TheSir

Yes, but you said to do the chin tuck, and then additionally lower your mandible, right?
And what do you mean "try to habitually engage"? Do you mean to just do the chin tuck habitually, or to have the anterior neck muscles engaged/flexed even when not chin tucking?
I'll try to simplify the dynamic (I'm a bit sleep deprived so humor me). When you're...

1) engaging the posterior tongue correctly (the nature of which should be closer to suction than a deliberate upward push. The suprahyoid muscles residing on the underside of your jawline shouldn't tense up much)
2) straightening out your neck (and spine at large)

...your lower jaw should end up being pushed downward due to the tongue using it as leverage. In addition, the downward movement may have a backward or a forward vector depending on your current occlusion, posture and cranial structure. Forget about conscious chin tucking for now, it should occur pretty automatically when all the other criteria are met.

As your jaw is being pushed downward by the tongue, it'll eventually meet resistance at the anterior neck musculature, which will prevent the jaw from descending much further. As such, an equilibrium of forces will be born:

1) the tongue pushing the jaw downwards
2) the neck musculature resisting this push.

The mandible would come to sit at a balanced half-way point between these two forces. As such, this mandibular positioning shouldn't feel particularly straining, but rather intuitive and effortless. By habitual I mean that this dynamic which I'm trying to explain should be adopted as a natural part of your overall body posture. I hope that clears things up.

Gadsie

I'll try to simplify the dynamic (I'm a bit sleep deprived so humor me). When you're...

1) engaging the posterior tongue correctly (the nature of which should be closer to suction than a deliberate upward push. The suprahyoid muscles residing on the underside of your jawline shouldn't tense up much)

...your lower jaw should end up being pushed downward due to the tongue using it as leverage. In addition, the downward movement may have a backward or a forward vector depending on your current occlusion, posture and cranial structure. Forget about conscious chin tucking for now, it should occur pretty automatically when all the other criteria are met.

As your jaw is being pushed downward by the tongue, it'll eventually meet resistance at the anterior neck musculature, which will prevent the jaw from descending much further. As such, an equilibrium of forces will be born:

The mandible would come to sit at a balanced half-way point between these two forces. As such, this mandibular positioning shouldn't feel particularly straining, but rather intuitive and effortless. By habitual I mean that this dynamic which I'm trying to explain should be adopted as a natural part of your overall body posture. I hope that clears things up.
Okay thanks. I get the tongue suction. I have been mewing for a few years so I think have the posterior tongue sunction down quite well. However, i dont’t necessarily feel much force pushing my mandible down (unless I add a lot of concious force to my tongue).

TheSir

Okay thanks. I get the tongue suction. I have been mewing for a few years so I think have the posterior tongue sunction down quite well. However, i dont’t necessarily feel much force pushing my mandible down (unless I add a lot of concious force to my tongue).
Try deliberately pushing the mandible down in unison with suctioning and driving the head upwards until you notice neck engagement. Even though the tongue action is based on suction, it does have a component to it that could be seen as application of conscious force depending on your subjective interpretation.

Kykeon

sadly i can not find it anymore, but when i searched for more information i stumbled upon a german Orthodontics (kieferorthopäden) forum and they discussed some aspects of the work, agreeing that it works, but the patient compliance is the big problem, so they didnt recommend it. But they had little doubt about the effectiveness.

Cooper

You could roll up an unbleached cotton sock and chew on that. Gives quite a nice workout.

Could it be possible to see pics of any kind? Always interesting to observe the differences.
The difference is HUGE. I don't want to spend time to share pics. But before plates, my lower lip was literally retracted. And i had no jaw line. Now i have, almost a model grade jaw line with matching lips, especially if i mew, but even without it. I am a painter so my eyes observe everything scienctifically if that worries you.

Most people have retracted mandibles, mine was genetic. It wasn't that bad or noticable, i looked normal but had no definition on side profile. Now i do.

I also ordered jawzrsize for my masseter muscles. I think im gonna chew it on my molars without the teeth attachments to spesifically target masseters.

Last edited:

Dr. B

The difference is HUGE. I don't want to spend time to share pics. But before plates, my lower lip was literally retracted. And i had no jaw line. Now i have, almost a model grade jaw line, especially if i mew, but even without it. I am a painter so my eyes observe everything scienctifically if that worries you.

Most people have retracted mandibles, mine was genetic. It wasn't that bad or noticable, i looked normal but had no definition on side profile. Now i do.

I also ordered jawzrsize for my masseter muscles. I think im gonna chew it on my molars without the teeth attachments to spesifically target masseters.
what kind of plates?

TheSir

The difference is HUGE. I don't want to spend time to share pics. But before plates, my lower lip was literally retracted. And i had no jaw line. Now i have, almost a model grade jaw line with matching lips, especially if i mew, but even without it. I am a painter so my eyes observe everything scienctifically if that worries you.

No pics? Bummer. Anyway, I'm glad for you. If I may ask, what made you believe your jaw positioning was genetic? Is the fact that a simple appliance was so overwhelmingly successful at fixing your issue not a definite proof that genes had nothing to do with it (I'm sure you're not trying to imply that the appliance changed your genes!)? Basically every normal person is genetically equipped to have a defined and forwardly positioned jawline as well as proper occlusion. The lack of these is always caused by postural dysfunction. Most have perfect facial structures as children, only to gradually lose it over time as the consequences of sedentariness begin to set it.

Ben.

I always enjoy and learn alot from your posts. Thank you for the detailed inputs.

Cooper

No pics? Bummer. Anyway, I'm glad for you. If I may ask, what made you believe your jaw positioning was genetic? Is the fact that a simple appliance was so overwhelmingly successful at fixing your issue not a definite proof that genes had nothing to do with it (I'm sure you're not trying to imply that the appliance changed your genes!)? Basically every normal person is genetically equipped to have a defined and forwardly positioned jawline as well as proper occlusion. The lack of these is always caused by postural dysfunction. Most have perfect facial structures as children, only to gradually lose it over time as the consequences of sedentariness begin to set it.
No i think you are wrong about everyone having the capability for a perfect jaw. My Dr. said that genetics play a part. I checked out my mom's and my dad's teeth overlap. They both had a degree of an overbite. Runs in the family, although none of them looked like they had overbite the teeth overlap was there. But mine was worse, mine was more visible from outside, few more millimeters deep than them and my upper teeth section was covering up 5millimeters of my lower teeth when i bite down and i had no jawline.

Now when i rest at normal position, my lower teeth exceeds my upper teeth section. So when normal people rest their mouth their lower teeth is actually a tad behind than upper ones. But mines has to be beyond upper ones because i have a shorter mandible.

I was nearly going to kill myself in the haze of frenzy thinking that Accutane did this to me. But i talked and gathered photographic evidence from other Post Accutane sufferers and none of them had overbites. That saved me from my delusions.

Sometimes mandible growth occurs less than intended due to skull and face shape.

Last edited:

Cooper

So you still believe everything the doctors tell you even in the face of some inconsistencias ... interesting
It is a well documented thing. And my Dr. worked with the woman who actually invited the twin block theraphy in Brazil. I hate science, i hate Dr's and medicine, but sometimes they do help you. Many people have genetic related overbites. That does not mean that we should stop seeking ways to fix our issues.

What im saying is, those top models are not that perfect because they had a great diet and they had a great tongue posture when they are growing up. It is just their genes.

Sorry i don't have any time to reply your other posts. I like your effort and enthusiasm though.

TheSir

No i think you are wrong about everyone having the capability for a perfect jaw. My Dr. said that genetics play a part. I checked out my mom's and my dad's teeth overlap. They both had a degree of an overbite. Runs in the family, although none of them looked like they had overbite the teeth overlap was there. But mine was worse, mine was more visible from outside, few more millimeters deep than them and my upper teeth section was covering up 5millimeters of my lower teeth when i bite down and i had no jawline.

Now when i rest at normal position, my lower teeth exceeds my upper teeth section. So when normal people rest their mouth their lower teeth is actually a tad behind than upper ones. But mines has to be beyond upper ones because i have a shorter mandible.

I was nearly going to kill myself in the haze of frenzy thinking that Accutane did this to me. But i talked and gathered photographic evidence from other Post Accutane sufferers and none of them had overbites. That saved me from my delusions.

Sometimes mandible growth occurs less than intended due to skull and face shape.
Eons of evolution have ensured that the craniofacial complex is highly able to mix and match all types of upper and lower jaws together in order to produce proper form and function for occlusion, mastication and posture alike. This feat is achieved by leaving most of the jaw development under the guidance of mechanical forces rather than a strict genetic blueprint. Consider that malocclusion is practically unheard of among non-civilized people and can be predictably introduced to these populations within one generation by getting them to adopt the civilized lifestyle.

In practice, there really isn't such a thing as too short or too long jaw, since the length of the mandible isn't adjusted from the front, but rather from the condyles, which under proper postural guidance readily remodel so as to shift the mandible forward or backward as necessitated by the maxilla. This means that wherever the upper jaw resides, the lower jaw will be able to accommodate for it. This is what you too experienced with the help of Twin Block.

Overbites and underbites can be inherited, but this is largely non-genetic inheritance. The only thing that produces malocclusion is absence of sufficient postural and masticatory stimulation. Here is a well sourced article that explains all these points in great detail: The Portland TMJ Clinic - Chapter 3

JamesGatz

JamesGatz

If you have trouble breathing while mewing or have no results while mewing or you feel stressed while mewing - PLEASE take a look at this thread I put together

It is IMPERATIVE you are able to breathe while performing the suction mew and that you are leveraging your neck muscles to generate enough FORCE -
please DO NOT give up - if I did it - so can YOU

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals