peter88

there is, beeswax pellets, theres organic ones on amazon and they seem similar shaped to the mastic gum pellets
they have policosanols too
some mainstream gums are better than the typical 5 gum, but even the "gum base" ingredient alone, actually can have 75 different ingredients, and is usually a mix of different polyesters/plastics/rubbers...
i think pur gum and simply gum were some of the ones using just gum base with no sweetener...
simply gum also uses a tree sap of some sort, but every one of their flavors has citric acid. even the cinnamon and maple flavors have citric acid.
you may not absorb much if it stays in the gum, but it messes with the teeth, definitely irritates the teeth chewing a citric acid containing gum for hours. even the 5 gum with its food colors and sweeteners isnt as tough on the teeth as simply gum.

Amazon product ASIN B00N37CCASView: https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Gum-Maple-Chewing-Pieces/dp/B00N37CCAS
Why chew gum when you could just chew a piece of meat for 30 minutes a day

Cooper

Get twin block theraphy. Mewing is a long term thing and not practical. I fixed my overbite within 6 months with twin blocks. I have a good jawline now.

TheSir

I'm wondering if there is possibly a better thing to chew on that's peaty?
You could roll up an unbleached cotton sock and chew on that. Gives quite a nice workout.

I fixed my overbite within 6 months with twin blocks. I have a good jawline now.
Could it be possible to see pics of any kind? Always interesting to observe the differences.

Dr. B

Why chew gum when you could just chew a piece of meat for 30 minutes a day
that would require an insane amount of meat consumption, even 8oz a day is already too much
maybe you could do the same slab of meat but it would become gross
id want something to chew for 3-4 hours every other day
there are some chewing sticks some people use, made of different kinds of woods

golder

Are beeswax pellets as hard as that Greco Gum posted earlier in the thread? I don’t want to buy the beeswax pellets if they are too soft and disintegrate within minutes. Thanks!

Dr. B

Are beeswax pellets as hard as that Greco Gum posted earlier in the thread? I don’t want to buy the beeswax pellets if they are too soft and disintegrate within minutes. Thanks!
i havent tried it yet but someone else said it takes a couple hours for the beeswax to dissolve
but the dissolving is a good thing as youll get some policosanols from it

JamesGatz

Get twin block theraphy. Mewing is a long term thing and not practical. I fixed my overbite within 6 months with twin blocks. I have a good jawline now.
I think some people expect too much from Mewing - I don't think mewing is meant to solve lower jaw size and issues directly - it expands and pushes the upper jaw forward - the lower jaw may improve since everything is being pushed forward and expanded but it is playing a game of "catch-up" with the maxilla - I hear many people claim that the lower jaw "follows" growth when the upper jaw is expanded but clearly I don't think this is the case - that's why I think mewing should be combined with chewing and other methods that focus on the lower jaw or if an overbite is serious then serious measures should be explored to fix it that address it directly

golder

Could someone give an educated opinion on whether the lighter or darker organic beeswax would be better? Does a darker colour indicate higher or lower level of policosanol?

Dr. B

Could someone give an educated opinion on whether the lighter or darker organic beeswax would be better? Does a darker colour indicate higher or lower level of policosanol?
dont know, i heard darker honey has more minerals, Ray said darker honey is more likely to be allergenic

TheSir

I think some people expect too much from Mewing - I don't think mewing is meant to solve lower jaw size and issues directly - it expands and pushes the upper jaw forward - the lower jaw may improve since everything is being pushed forward and expanded but it is playing a game of "catch-up" with the maxilla - I hear many people claim that the lower jaw "follows" growth when the upper jaw is expanded but clearly I don't think this is the case - that's why I think mewing should be combined with chewing and other methods that focus on the lower jaw or if an overbite is serious then serious measures should be explored to fix it that address it directly
The lower jaw grows through the ramii/condyles in response to muscle-based jaw posturing, a process during which the body of the mandible will remodel (ante-gonial notches will disappear, gonial angle will decrease, mandibular projection will increase) in order to maintain the functional integrity of the occlusion/bite. You intuit right that the mandible won't passively or automatically follow the maxilla when one fails to adopt correct jaw posture in addition to tongue posture. The Twin Block appliance which @Cooper mentioned taps into the aforementioned growing mechanism, but ultimately the appliance is merely emulating natural postural functioning, and as such not necessarily, well, necessary.

1633452633238.png 1633452669420.png

JamesGatz

The lower jaw grows through the ramii/condyles in response to muscle-based jaw posturing, a process during which the body of the mandible will remodel (ante-gonial notches will disappear, gonial angle will decrease, mandibular projection will increase) in order to maintain the functional integrity of the occlusion/bite. You intuit right that the mandible won't passively or automatically follow the maxilla when one fails to adopt correct jaw posture in addition to tongue posture. The Twin Block appliance which @Cooper mentioned taps into the aforementioned growing mechanism, but ultimately the appliance is merely emulating natural postural functioning, and as such not necessarily, well, necessary.

View attachment 28579View attachment 28580
Do you have any link or thread that I can read on jaw posture ? I am very interested nothing seems to turn up when I search.

So would chewing then do nothing to grow the mandible ?
I see many on the Great Work have mandibular growth from chewing, so then does chewing possibly work because the act of chewing improves jaw posture and not the act of chewing itself ?

JamesGatz

View attachment 28579View attachment 28580

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 1.09.08 PM.png

lateral-pterygoid-muscle.png

So then the jaw should be worked on overtime targeting the Pterygoid? So then is twin blocks unneccessary because the act of chewing over long periods of time solidify this growth ?

In the slideshow it seems to be suggested that the growth stays and the lower jaw won't retract once the space is filled from when the lower jaw begins to move forward ?

Kykeon

yes it works, having the tongue resting on the roof of your mouth is also mentioned by buddha. always found that interesting. i have less problems with nose congestion and obstructed nasal breathing, i started doing this maybe 5 years ago. it gradually improved my ability to breathe through the nose. ( i have a deviated septum). i dont practice the "mewing" or other things, just being mindful of having the tongue on the roof of my mouth.

Last edited:

TheSir

Do you have any link or thread that I can read on jaw posture ? I am very interested nothing seems to turn up when I search.

So would chewing then do nothing to grow the mandible ?
I see many on the Great Work have mandibular growth from chewing, so then does chewing possibly work because the act of chewing improves jaw posture and not the act of chewing itself ?
Chewing would increase mandibular mass, giving it a more robust appearance. Here is a textbook example of this kind of growth:
1633454253946.png
What chewing is less likely to do is to improve the relationship between the jaws, as well as the jaws and the rest of the skull (I don't have the pics saved, but the chin/jaw projection on the above dude did not change at all -- mostly only the area of gonion (=posterior mandible) is improved by chewing. This is where consistent postural engagement comes into play. In contrast to the above pic, here the morphological effects of jaw posturing are more profound, especially in the anterior-posterior axis:

1633455043336.png

In order to figure out your mandibular posture, try the following sequence:

1) suction your posterior tongue onto the soft palate
2) drive your occiput upwards and tuck your chin in until these movements and the tongue suction become one.
3) lower your mandible (experiment with backwardly vs forwardly descending vector), until you feel your anterior neck muscles engage. Seek to habitually maintain this engagement, especially during inhalation. Note how your jaw comes to be sustained at an equilibrium of forces between the tongue and the neck muscles.
(4 optional) study the dynamic between lowering the mandible and elevating the coccyx. Both being the ultimate end points of the spine, posture-wise they function as complementary opposites.

At the correct mandibular elevation your lips may come close to separating from each other but should nevertheless still remain together effortlessly. In addition, depending on your bite class, there may come to exist some empty space between the upper and lower teeth. In my case, since I have deep bite, which translates to lowered molar height due to de-eruption, the correct mandibular position results in a quite large space between the upper and lower molars. Over time the alveolar bones of each jaw will remodel and the teeth erupt further until a new point of occlusion is formed nearer the newly lowered mandibular position.

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

I wonder if mewing helps with overlapping teeth? From what I understand, it should.

JamesGatz

Chewing would increase mandibular mass, giving it a more robust appearance. Here is a textbook example of this kind of growth:
View attachment 28584
What chewing is less likely to do is to improve the relationship between the jaws, as well as the jaws and the rest of the skull (I don't have the pics saved, but the chin/jaw projection on the above dude did not change at all -- mostly only the area of gonion (=posterior mandible) is improved by chewing. This is where consistent postural engagement comes into play. In contrast to the above pic, here the morphological effects of jaw posturing are more profound, especially in the anterior-posterior axis:

View attachment 28588

2) drive your occiput upwards and tuck your chin in until these movements and the tongue suction become one.
3) lower your mandible (experiment with backwardly vs forwardly descending vector), until you feel your anterior neck muscles engage. Seek to habitually maintain this engagement, especially during inhalation. Note how your jaw comes to be sustained at an equilibrium of forces between the tongue and the neck muscles.
(4 optional) study the dynamic between lowering the mandible and elevating the coccyx. Both being the ultimate end points of the spine, posture-wise they function as complementary opposites.

At the correct mandibular elevation your lips may come close to separating from each other but should nevertheless still remain together effortlessly. In addition, depending on your bite class, there may come to exist some empty space between the upper and lower teeth. In my case, since I have deep bite, which translates to lowered molar height due to de-eruption, the correct mandibular position results in a quite large space between the upper and lower molars. Over time the alveolar bones of each jaw will remodel and the teeth erupt further until a new point of occlusion is formed nearer the newly lowered mandibular position.
This is extremely helpful - really, really good stuff - really smart gem right here

I feel the anterior neck muscles engaging when moving my mandible after tucking and driving the occiput upwards - exactly the way you describe - I am going to link to your quote on my other thread because this is a true gem

Last edited:

Gadsie

View attachment 28584

View attachment 28588

Are you saying to basically force an overbite position? When I chintuck and lower my mandible I basically get a recessed lower jaw

TheSir

This is extremely helpful - really, really good stuff - really smart gem right here

I feel the anterior neck muscles engaging when moving my mandible backwards after tucking - exactly the way you describe - I am going to link to your quote on my other thread because this is a true gem
Glad to hear, I was somewhat concerned about whether or not people would grasp what I was talking about. I suspect that most will benefit from a more backward than forward mandibular movement, since most have a habitual head forward posture which in a compensatory and instinctual manner moves the mandible forward away from the airways. In well facially developed faces the gonion is often quite down and back. So it makes sense that the condyles would allow ramal/gonial growth to that direction in response to proper mandibular posture.

1633458664764.png

TheSir

Are you saying to basically force an overbite position? When I chintuck and lower my mandible I basically get a recessed lower jaw
The chin tuck is typically performed by tucking the whole head in rather than just the mandible. Nevertheless, if it feels intuitive to pull your mandible backwards, do it. Examine also the relationship between your backmost molars (or the second last if you have severely impacted wisdom teeth). Ideally the last molars of the upper and lower arches would be vertically aligned with each other. If your lower molars are more forward than the upper molars, you might benefit from a backwards mandibular pull. And vice versa.

Gadsie

The chin tuck is typically performed by tucking the whole head in rather than just the mandible.

Yes, but you said to do the chin tuck, and then additionally lower your mandible, right?
And what do you mean "try to habitually engage"? Do you mean to just do the chin tuck habitually, or to have the anterior neck muscles engaged/flexed even when not chin tucking?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals