Weight Loss: Reduce Starch Or Fat?

pboy

unless you eat only a small amount of carbohydrates, every couple hours like a grazing ape or nursing infant, you will inevitably produce fat from any carbohydrate anyways. For most people, most of the time, a good portion of carbohydrate becomes fatty acids. Every symptom of low thyroid besides a real nutrient deficiency, is simply due to the body running on stress hormones rather than thyroid hormones...and the body is doing it on purpose, its not some malfunction...its what happens when there's stress.
Dutchie you probably would have been better off eating the ice cream and enjoying your time. Some of the stuff here Im reading is beginning to sound ridiculous. You cant force a physiological state by micromanaging every detail nutritionally. At some point you have to realize that stress trumps everything by switching your metabolism to cortisol mode, which automatically inhibits CO2 respiration and thyroid function. The point is to limit stress, and often times that includes leaving out any kind of slurry of bs that's been thrown on you about what is real and what you 'must do'

Dutchie

pboy said:
unless you eat only a small amount of carbohydrates, every couple hours like a grazing ape or nursing infant, you will inevitably produce fat from any carbohydrate anyways. For most people, most of the time, a good portion of carbohydrate becomes fatty acids. Every symptom of low thyroid besides a real nutrient deficiency, is simply due to the body running on stress hormones rather than thyroid hormones...and the body is doing it on purpose, its not some malfunction...its what happens when there's stress.
Dutchie you probably would have been better off eating the ice cream and enjoying your time. Some of the stuff here Im reading is beginning to sound ridiculous. You cant force a physiological state by micromanaging every detail nutritionally. At some point you have to realize that stress trumps everything by switching your metabolism to cortisol mode, which automatically inhibits CO2 respiration and thyroid function. The point is to limit stress, and often times that includes leaving out any kind of slurry of bs that's been thrown on you about what is real and what you 'must do'

I know you always have these high flying hippy spiritual believ3s and thats fine,but i sometimes find it a bit annoying thar you believe its true for everyone,while i can ensure you there would ne a world of difference between how i slept&woke this morning when i had eaten the shitty icecream.
For some of us certain foods create very real problems&stressresponses whether we feel relaxed while eating them or not.

pboy

I don't understand, you follow the exact 'rules' and things don't work out, yet you refuse to believe anything else might be in play. I know what you're saying...its better sometimes to skip a meal or snack and wait a few hours until you get home to have a better option. Just don't stress yourself out too much about it, you don't want your body to think you're in panic mode. I only say what I do because ive gone through it, and still encounter similar situations, and Ive found for myself that if im so stressed too the poin my **** cheeks are clenched, then whatever I ate is gonna come out bad...analogy

Dutchie

pboy said:
I don't understand, you follow the exact 'rules' and things don't work out, yet you refuse to believe anything else might be in play. I know what you're saying...its better sometimes to skip a meal or snack and wait a few hours until you get home to have a better option. Just don't stress yourself out too much about it, you don't want your body to think you're in panic mode. I only say what I do because ive gone through it, and still encounter similar situations, and Ive found for myself that if im so stressed too the poin my **** cheeks are clenched, then whatever I ate is gonna come out bad...analogy

I dont follow any rules....
The stressing out part i didnt mean normal stressing.....it was weird my mind was somewhat alarmed and simultaneously i felt mellow probably from all the magnesium in the palmsugar.
In this case the icecream wouldve given me a real physical stressresponse fron the HFCS and all e-numbers and veg.oil

aquaman

pboy said:
unless you eat only a small amount of carbohydrates, every couple hours like a grazing ape or nursing infant, you will inevitably produce fat from any carbohydrate anyways.

??

What's this statement based on?

aquaman

Dutchie said:
Mittir said:
superhuman said:
(although I wouldve liked Tiramisu-icecream just a damn shame,icecream generally consist of lots of s*** overe here...HFCS,gums,artificial sweeteners,soy etc.)

Home made ice cream is so easy to make. Get a $25 ice cream churner, heat milk, temper the eggs in the milk, cool and churn. Takes a few minutes of prep, 30 mins of cooling and 20 mins of automatic churning. Use palm sugar to your heart's content!

Dutchie

aquaman said:
Dutchie said:
Mittir said:
superhuman said:
(although I wouldve liked Tiramisu-icecream just a damn shame,icecream generally consist of lots of s*** overe here...HFCS,gums,artificial sweeteners,soy hetc.)

Home made ice cream is so easy to make. Get a $25 ice cream churner, heat milk, temper the eggs in the milk, cool and churn. Takes a few minutes of prep, 30 mins of cooling and 20 mins of automatic churning. Use palm sugar to your heart's content!
Ive tried makung milk icecream once but it turned out like one big block of ice and not tasty at all. The problems that i cant get decent sourced eggs and i only tolerate goat/sheep dairy so i dont have the option of using cream either.

D

Deleted member 5487

Wouldn't the mixture of sugar (carbs in general) and fat promote the storage of fat? I would appreciate someone explaining this to me. Thanks.

Not necessarily. Fat and carbs are processed through different pathways and at different times. They are also sent to different areas of the body. From my experience as a young male.I have concluded the following over the last six months of peat. Purly anecdotal of course.

White rice: Energy, Fat gain,glycogen, desire to workout increase, water weight

Potatos: Energy, Less fat gain, glycogen, Desire to workout, water weight

Sugar(fruit/juice) only: Not much desire to workout, Tired, No water weight, Weight loss

Sugar+ Fat( Extra butter/cheese/icecream): Lean, Weight loss, not much desire to workout.

All of these were with moderate/High protein.

Best combo I have found is Sugar+ Decent sat fat for the muscles to oxidize at rest since they don't have a bunch of glucose from starch.

Peat weight loss tells people to cut all fat. I believe this to be wrong. Saturated fat and sucrose with adequate glycine(gelatin) Leads to the leanest and best body comp.

So milk 1% with a bunch of honey/salt Good amount of Orange juice. Plenty of frozen costco mangos. eggs, some taco meat, gelatin, shank, oaxtail, Hagendazz aoxtail.

It's how I got really lean.

DaveFoster

Starch without fat generates endotoxin, which triggers serotonin release from platelets and speeds the aging process.

Potatoes have a myriad of benefits over white rice and other starches, including:
- a lower GI and reduced tendency to spike blood sugar dramatically
- greater bulk formation in the intestine
- the presence of steroid-like molecules (credit to forum member Travis)
- the highest-quality protein available
- a complete nutrient profile (except for vitamin B12)
- keto-acids that lower ammonia
- no problems with arsenic or heavy metals
- minimal PUFA (like white rice)
- dietary versatility (baked, boiled, fried, deep-fried, mashed, steamed, and so on)
- ease of preparation

Downsides include:
- starch and endotoxin
- lectins (and allergenicity as with nightshade sensitivity for some)

Boiled or moistened starch has a reduced propensity to presorb through the intestinal wall compared to dry, fried starch.

D

Deleted member 5487

Starch without fat generates endotoxin, which triggers serotonin release from platelets and speeds the aging process.

Potatoes have a myriad of benefits over white rice and other starches, including:
- a lower GI and reduced tendency to spike blood sugar dramatically
- greater bulk formation in the intestine
- the presence of steroid-like molecules (credit to forum member Travis)
- the highest-quality protein available
- a complete nutrient profile (except for vitamin B12)
- keto-acids that lower ammonia
- no problems with arsenic or heavy metals
- minimal PUFA (like white rice)
- dietary versatility (baked, boiled, fried, deep-fried, mashed, steamed, and so on)
- ease of preparation

Downsides include:
- starch and endotoxin
- lectins (and allergenicity as with nightshade sensitivity for some)

Boiled or moistened starch has a reduced propensity to presorb through the intestinal wall compared to dry, fried starch.
Good post.

do you have the link to the steroid like compounds in potatos?

D

Deleted member 5487

I'm not sure those steroids are positive.
Starch And Fat ?
How Can Potatoes (Boiled) KILL My LIBIDO?

Btw amarsh, it sounds like you have just your mind since saying sucrose + saturated fats is the best way to get lean.

Things change as I experiment. I have found less of it has to do with food choice, and more about adaptations to environment. Ie .Sprint and low rep Low set Power movement like a push Press and Power clean.

DaveFoster

Good post.

do you have the link to the steroid like compounds in potatos?
Thank you. @Travis could answer your question better.

He may have been referring to flavonoids:

Phenolic Compounds in the Potato and Its Byproducts: An Overview

I'm not sure those steroids are positive.
Starch And Fat ?
How Can Potatoes (Boiled) KILL My LIBIDO?

Btw amarsh, it sounds like you have just your mind since saying sucrose + saturated fats is the best way to get lean.

Starch will lead to a lower BMI compared to sugar, but the fat more than counterbalances this. Starch without fat yield greater inflammation. Saturated fat and sugar will more dramatically lower inflammation.

Stilgar

Just to chime in, my experience is that a reasonable amount of saturated fat and up to a tablespoon of olive oil make me lean, because they lower my gut stress.

If you are one of the lucky ones for whom starch or low fat makes you lean then I congratulate you. And I wish I had your healthy guts.

paymanz

Everything about potatoes are great, except for its higher phosphorus content,compared to white rice.

But that not big problem really, you just need to take some calcium to balance it.

paymanz

Saturated fat and sugar will more dramatically lower inflammation
In combination?! I know ray likes ice cream but combo of sugar and fat doesnt sound good to me.

At leat one down side is that its very stimulating on appetite and you may eat too much calories.

DaveFoster

In combination?! I know ray likes ice cream but combo of sugar and fat doesnt sound good to me.

At leat one down side is that its very stimulating on appetite and you may eat too much calories.
True, but the combination's fine. Dairy fat won't lead to insulin resistance unless you eat large quantities with underlying hypothyroidism, or if you're older.

walker_in_aus

RP mentioned that starch ( simple or complex) are more fattening than sugar.
There are studies that shows how sugar(glucose+fructose) increases metabolism compared to
glucose/starch. Sugar has many advantages over glucose/starch.
Sugar needs lot less insulin to be metabolized than starch/glucose.
Complex starch are more likely to feed bad bacteria and increase endotoxin.
There are several articles on sugar at Ray Peat's website.
Persorption is another problem with starch.
There are studies that show sugar is more efficient at repleting
liver glcycogen storage than glucose,which plays a big role in managing stress.
Do you make your own Dulche de Leche?

D

Deleted member 5487

True, but the combination's fine. Dairy fat won't lead to insulin resistance unless you eat large quantities with underlying hypothyroidism, or if you're older.

Can large quantities be defined?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals